Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas - a system in decline

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Jesus lads, I know we can’t get outside but this is what you’re arguing about? Step away from the keyboards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

L1011 wrote: »
    IF the pubs weren't closed. This isn't a particularly difficult concept to get, really.

Sorry. I tried to delete this comment as soon as I posted it as I was being rather stupid / slow but I guess I was too slow to even do that right. Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Firstly, I notice there is no social distancing on the Luas. Why is the Luas different from other forms of public transport?

Secondly, it seems to me that addicts are using certain sections of the Luas all day, possibly to facilitate their addiction. Are there no checks on this, is a blind eye being turned to this activity?

I was on the Luas yesterday, Jervis to Heuston. There was a nasty incident on the tram which security took hold of. It felt like Dublin is a third world country, dangerous and deeply unpleasant.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oh come on, if that's what you think about seeing a few drug-addicts on public transport, then don't go to any major city.

Seats are blocked off on the Luas for social distancing. The issue (I assume) is that because of the sporadic volume and multiple doors, it's hard to enforce.

I have seen them at Heuston limiting numbers though.

Seats are no longer blocked off on the Luas. No social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Firstly, I notice there is no social distancing on the Luas. Why is the Luas different from other forms of public transport?

Secondly, it seems to me that addicts are using certain sections of the Luas all day, possibly to facilitate their addiction. Are there no checks on this, is a blind eye being turned to this activity?

I was on the Luas yesterday, Jervis to Heuston. There was a nasty incident on the tram which security took hold of. It felt like Dublin is a third world country, dangerous and deeply unpleasant.

People in the third world can't afford hard drugs, those that take such things are either super rich or they die real quick as a result of the lack of state services.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Seats are no longer blocked off on the Luas. No social distancing.

Have the removed the seat signage? I have noticed a lot more of the signage has been removed either by accident or vandalised lately and not replaced.

GT89 wrote: »
    Have the removed the seat signage? I have noticed a lot more of the signage has been removed either by accident or vandalised lately and not replaced.

It looks like social distancing has completely ceased on the Luas. No seat signage whatsoever and people sitting right next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Social distancing has ceased everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

It looks like social distancing has completely ceased on the Luas. No seat signage whatsoever and people sitting right next to each other.

Impossible to implement social distancing on the Luas though anyway not like a bus where the driver can just sail past stops

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They stopped opening all doors at every stop a few months ago - well, a few drivers still do it. Which is quite annoying as if you're carrying something its rather hard to elbow the button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Had to get a train, dart and luas over the weekend.

The train and dart were great - everyone social distancing and wearing masks.

The Luas was a complete joke - no social distancing and probably 1/4 of people not wearing masks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

alroley wrote: »
    and probably 1/4 of people not wearing masks.

Don't have to pass staff to get on = less masks.

I've noticed that trains heading in to Connolly from the Maynooth line have worse adherence than out of Connolly - as the stations are mostly unmanned.

Red line, or at least the Docklands section, is suffering severely from poor service at the moment. One or two days a week there's either no service or a >20min frequency at peak and the platform signs are often wrong showing inaccurate times or ghost trams.

Is this mechanical problems or staffing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's because since the Luas changed to a free service, they can't afford to run them as often.

20m headway again this evening

15m headway this morning.

The service being proposed and the service being provided are not even related anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Red Line service has gone to crap in the past few months. I was once left waiting 40 minutes for a saggart tram, and when I called the depot (I was that annoyed) they said that whenever there’s disruption, they send all the trams to tallaght…

I might tempt myself onto a LUAS again some time soonish to further progress my rehabilitation into society. I live on the green line. Don’t know what I’m in for.

15m headway in the docklands all week. Some reasons given some days, but there is clearly more going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Was at a concert in the 3 Arena last night and no Luas for 17 mins I walked to O'Connell Street to catch my bus before there was any sign of a Luas. Surely they should be putting on additional capacity for concerts and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Around 10:30-11ish would've thought there'd be extra trams for the concert though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Luas has gone absolutely dire. They keep talking about covid absences but Dublin Bus have managed to keep the show on the road. I’ve reported it many times, even contacted a TD, to little avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair, Dublin Bus has had a lot of curtailments or cancellations too due to driver absences.

Most days there are 14s and 15s curtailed to Eden Quay for example.

Advertisement