Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas - a system in decline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It might not be a bad idea to keep schedules as they are in the interests of social distancing and reducing volumes on one service

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Gael23 wrote: »
    It might not be a bad idea to keep schedules as they are in the interests of social distancing and reducing volumes on one service

probably, not a bloody chance the luas drivers wont be getting full pay, one way or another...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    probably, not a bloody chance the luas drivers wont be getting full pay, one way or another...

so what?
    why shouldn't they get paid in full for doing their job? service is running as normal.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

What could possibly go wrong with keeping a service going at a time when we are trying to stop people from travelling.......

Idbatterim wrote: »

If the unions kick up during a national emergency they will be irreparably broken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If the unions kick up during a national emergency they will be irreparably broken

Depends what they "kick up" about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

What could possibly go wrong with keeping a service going at a time when we are trying to stop people from travelling.......

a lot of people still have to go to work. Other than that, there's nothing much for people to travel to so the numbers should be self-limiting.

Some people have probably switched from public transport to driving as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Any intervention with PT needs to be total if at all, and that would still be a bad idea. As mentioned a number of times already, if you reduce frequency you inherently reduce capacity and thus space for social distancing.

If you completely cancel PT that issue of distance ceases to be an issue, but at the cost of introducing far greater issues of those responsible for fundamental services (medical provision, and even simple supply chain for groceries) being unable to get to and from work.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Depends what they "kick up" about.
    /
    Drivers being laid off/redeployed/having hours cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I just red interesting article on Vice (WARNING!!) about fail of public transport in US.
    Linked here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112857419

Reading it was like having deejay-vu all Irish problems we have, and explains a lot of why we can't have nice metro or trams systems that can be easily afforded in poor Eastern European cities..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

/
    Drivers being laid off/redeployed/having hours cut

there would be nowhere to re-deploy drivers so i'm not sure how you came up with that one.
    hours cut is probably more likely then actual staff layoffs as it gives extra flexibility in the event service was cut, and if services did get cut, given it wouldn't be down to the company and given it would be for a genuinely good reason, the unions aren't going to do anything, in fact they may possibly even welcome it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it the doctors, nurses and healthcare assistants that you want to stop from travelling?

Or the supermarket staff who are providing your food and your toilet paper?

Is it the doctors, nurses and healthcare assistants that you want to stop from travelling?

Or the supermarket staff who are providing your food and your toilet paper?

I thought you'd be proposing that they all cycle anyway?

Its not these people travelling who are the problem, its every other idiot who doesn't need to travel anywhere who thinks they should.

I thought you'd be proposing that they all cycle anyway?
    Not in the slightest. Funnily enough, there is lots of common ground between cyclists and public transport users. Both benefit hugely from there being less 80% empty cages flying around them at high speeds, under the control of people busy updating their WhatsApp groups.

Its not these people travelling who are the problem, its every other idiot who doesn't need to travel anywhere who thinks they should.
    Are there really that many people choosing to spend time on buses or trams when they don't really need to? Any buses that I've seen around have been close to completely empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭jacool

Truck drivers have started picking off the LUAS, one at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

jacool wrote: »
    Truck drivers have started picking off the LUAS, one at a time!

Are there any repercussions at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was quiet the crash between the Luas and the truck. I suppose in some ways its lucky as if this had been in normal times it could have been a lot busier and more people could have been injured or killed even. The pub could have been full with people too and a lot more damage would have been done there as the shutters would not have been down so more people would have been injured. That's the only good thing less to no people around because this in not normal times so less injuries and deaths than would have otherwise been had this been say last year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    The pub could have been full with people too and a lot more damage would have been done there as the shutters would not have been down so more people would have been injured.

At 9.30am ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

At 9.30am ?

Where are you from with your pubs closed at 9.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

A pedestrian was killed a few years ago at this exact location if I'm not mistaken in almost identical circumstances i.e. vehicles hits Luas, vehicle spins out and runs over pedestrian. Everyone else in their metal cage walks away relatively unharmed, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

donvito99 wrote: »
    A pedestrian was killed a few years ago at this exact location if I'm not mistaken in almost identical circumstances i.e. vehicles hits Luas, vehicle spins out and runs over pedestrian. Everyone else in their metal cage walks away relatively unharmed, as usual.

FYP
    A pedestrian was killed a few years ago at this exact location if I'm not mistaken in almost identical circumstances i.e. Driver hits Luas, driver spins out and runs over pedestrian. Everyone else in their metal cage walks away relatively unharmed, as usual.

donvito99 wrote: »
    I think that was further down, at Jervis junction - a Chinese lady iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think that was further down, at Jervis junction - a Chinese lady iirc.
    Yep it was down near the leprechaun mueseum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

At 9.30am ?

Awe ok. Well the people that own the pub would have been in getting it ready for the day and cleaning up from the night before. I thought it had happened around 11 or 12 as I seen it on the 1 news.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe ok. Well the people that own the pub would have been in getting it ready for the day and cleaning up from the night before. I thought it had happened around 11 or 12 as I seen it on the 1 news.

Pubs are all closed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pubs are all closed

I think that was their point, there was nobody there due to the pubs being closed.

L1011 wrote: »
    I think that was their point, there was nobody there due to the pubs being closed.

They implied people would be going in to clean the pub , they pubs have been closed for two weeks. No cleaning required

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They implied people would be going in to clean the pub , they pubs have been closed for two weeks. No cleaning required

They implied people would be going in to clean the pub and more people would have been on the Luas if not for the current situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IF the pubs weren't closed. This isn't a particularly difficult concept to get, really.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    IF the pubs weren't closed. This isn't a particularly difficult concept to get, really.

Exactly. If there had been 50 people walking by they would have been killed too. But there wasn't.

Advertisement