Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Improving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Saturday 06/08/11

7.26 Miles = 1.11.54 - (Pace = 9.55)

This was a hilly route and found first 5 miles fairly tough, even running at this pace. Last couple of miles downhill, fairly easy.

Sunday 07/08/11

Cross Train - approx 2/3 miles

Went to Croke Park to watch Kilkenny play. Am counting walk from upper Dorset Street to Croke Park and back as a cross train.

Monday 08/08/11

3.70 Miles = 44.29 - (Pace = 12.00)

Had quiet an amount of beer/fags at the match yesterday and last night. Got up and ran this recovery run this morning. Nearly puked in the last mile due to the excesses of the night before. Sitting here, now feeling sorry myself.

Tuesday 09/08/11

6.25 Miles = 1.01.19 (9.48 pace)

Not too bad of a run. Have never ran this far during midweek runs before. Working evening's so only getting to bed at 2.30am. Normally find these runs early in the morning after working evenings hard.

Thursday 11/08/11

Treadmill = 6K = 33.24.

Tempo run

1k at 9kph
    4k at 12kph (8.00 minute per mile pace).
    1k at 9kph

No motivation to run this today. However, was surprising, once i got into it, i actually enjoyed it and found the tempo pace easier than normal. Maybe the increase in mileage and tempo work is helping. A nice confidence boost.

Saturday 13/08/11

12.18 Miles = 2.00.46 - (Pace = 9.54)

Happy enough with this run. Went very well and found it relatively ok.

Sunday 14/08/11

Cross Train - 3 miles

Right calf a little sore/stiff, may keep an eye on this.

Monday 15/08/11

3.71 Miles = 44.04 - (Pace = 11.52) - Recovery Run

Right calf still feeling a little tight/sore. Not hindering me running, just never had this feeling in the calf before.
    Rubbed deep freeze into calf after the run and wife spent 10 minutes massaging it last night. (Does massage as part of her job).
    Not sure, if it made any difference. She said that the calf muscle is very tight. Still feeling it this morning, but at this stage, it's not a problem to run. Need to keep an eye on it though.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 16/08/11

6.30 Miles = 1.01.55 (9.49 pace)

Great evening for a run. Beautiful weather and really enjoyed this. Legs in good shape and found it easy enough. Right calf - still an issue. Feels tight/sore but not impacting me running as yet. Wife massaged it and put deep freeze on it again last night. Not noticing any improvement as yet. If it continues, i might go to physio to get it looked at. If i notice any worsening of it, i will go straight away.

Thursday 18/08/11

Treadmill = 6K = 35.22.

Took it easy as had Frank Duffy on Saturday. Also wedding on Friday.
    Did not drink at the wedding. First time ever. Think my mates were a bit shocked.

Saturday 20/08/11

Frank Duffy 10Mile

Longest race i have ever ran was 10k so this was my first longish race. Target at the start of the year was 1.20.00 (8 minute mile) and that was my plan. Wife also ran this.

Up at 6am, drove up to Dublin, parked at 8.20am. Nice and early and got good parking spot in the park.

Race

Started about halfway down in Wave 1. My wife started in Wave 2.
    Plan was to try and run 8 minute miles. First mile, very chaotic. Like everyone else has already stated, too many slower runners to pass. I spent most of the first mile on the grassy verge, jumping up and down off kerbs and getting stuck behind slower runner. My pace during this mile was 8.37 but i managed to reach the first mile at 8.13.
    Traffic eased slightly after this. Ran second mile in 7.56. After this i never really checked to see how fast my miles were been ran. Basically i just went on the average pace on the garmin. At end of mile 2 my average pace was 8.02.
    Miles 3 & 4 went fairly good for me. Was holding myself back a little. i haven't ran 10miles at this pace before and was afraid i would die later on. So was concentrating on holding pace near 8.00.
    My average pace at the end of mile 4 was 7.57 and was happy with this. Only thing i was worried about was that the mileage on my garmin was hitting the mile marker about 50 metres before the signs.
    Found mile 5/6 the toughest miles of the race particularly up by chesterfield avenue. Spent virtually the whole time running onthe grass passing people and mile 5 was my slowest mile of the race i would say. My average pace had dropped to 8.00 by the time i started mile 7.
    I wasn't feeling confident of hitting 1.20.00 at this time. Mile 7 went ok, was battling along with couple of other guys who seemed to be going for sub 80 as well. Mile 8 was surprisingly a good mile for me. Was passing loads of people, average pace was back down to 7.57. Mile 9 was downhill mostly and was fine aswell. When i hit the sign for the last mile my time was 1.11.55 so i had 8.05 to get my sub 80.
    Went up the hill as hard as i could and fought as best i could to the finish line which seemed to take forever. My garmin registered 1.20.00 exactly at the finish line. Checked website and chip timed at 1.19.57 so i done it by 3 seconds. Really happy with this. From the list of target's i set at the beginning of the year, it was the first one i've hit.

Overall i really enjoyed the experience of running a race with so many people in it. Great atmosphere and really well organised. My wife finished in 1.33.39 and was happy with that as 1.35 was her target.

Negative's same as everyone else.
    1. Too many slower runners in Wave 1.
    2. Water was in cups - perfer bottles
    3. Chesterfield avenue - very narrow pathway, had to run on grass.

Sunday 21/08/11

3 - 4 mile walk with the dog as a cross train.

Monday 22/08/11

3.73 Miles = 43.55 - (Pace = 11.47) - Recovery Run

My right shin is sore. Had a slight soreness in this leg last week. Felt fairly sore today when i woke up. Switched the shin compression sleeve from the left shin to the right this morning for this run. Done lots of stretching and put ice on it for one hour. Still not feeling great. Will ring physio tomorrow and try and get to see him this week. Bit worried about this as training has been going well recently.

Tuesday 23/08/11

7.32 Miles = 1.12.07 (9.51 pace)

Due to the soreness i'm feeling in the right shin, i decided to run this on Grass. Never done this before but am afraid of injuries ruining my marathon dream, so i'm willing to try anything.
    Went to a local GAA Club ground this morning. Beautiful morning, no one around and ran what seemed like endless laps around the pitch.
    Wore my garmin to judge mileage. Found it tough to get going as right leg was aching due to pounding it had got at Saturday's Frank Duffy run.

Got through it ok. Also switched the shin compression sleeve that i normally wear on my left shin to the right to see if it would help. Put ice on the leg for about an hour when i went home.
    Rang physio and made an appointment for Saturday afternoon.
    Will see how the leg feels over the coming days, but i might give my Thursday 4 mile run a miss to rest the leg.

Saturday 27/08/11

Did not run on Thursday due to right shin soreness - afraid to aggravate this. Went to physio Sat morning and said it was overuse injury on right shin. He worked on both shin's as left one was slightly sore.
    Said i was ok to run Tinryland 4 miler later on that day.

Tinryland 4 Mile

Ran this race last year and really enjoyed it so travelled over to Carlow again for it. As i'm doing a marathon plan, this was too low of mileage for me. So i done 2 miles warm up and 2 mile warm down after the race (8 miles in total).
    Goal at the start of the year was sub 28mins which i didn't believe i was anywhere near this, but decided to give it a try and go for 4 sub 7 minute miles.

Started off in the middle of the pack as some very good runners in this field. First mile has some downhill so normally is the fastest mile of this race. Tried to hold back slightly on this mile and was 6.45 at the first mile marker. Second mile is more flat and aim was to try and hold this pace. Found it slightly tough at times (about 20 army cadet's cruised past me early on this mile). Second mile was timed at 7.03 so i was still on target but i was really feeling it and the third mile is normally the hardest with a very log drag for half a mile and some uphill.
    Passed the army cadets on this mile but was feeling like s**t. Ran this mile in 7.46 and this was where i lost anyhope i had of getting near 28 minutes. Last mile is an easier mile, i dug in as best i could with some help from the cadets who came past me again with some motivating chants. Ran last mile in 7.12 so my overall time was 28.46.
    Well off my target at the beginning of the year for 4 miles, but in all honesty i knew i was nowhere near this pace. Finished 98/253 (ok), and knocked 73 seconds off my time last year which was 29.59.
    So all in all, not going to beat myself up about it. Time shows that i have improved a little in the last couple of months since i have upped my mileage and managed to stay relatively injury free.
    Plan know is to Kilkenny Half Marathon in September (my first half) with a goal of 1.50.00.

Monday 29/08/11

3.71 Miles = 43.24 - (Pace = 11.42) - Recovery Run

Lower legs (shin area's) feel really weak/sore during last night's run. Don't know how i'm going to get through tonights 7.2 miler.
    It's not an injury, but for some reason after a few weeks running consistent mileage on the road my lower legs' seem to feel like this. Not sure what cause's this.
    Normally if i take a week off or run on treadmill with less mileage it eases off. However, the mileage in marathon plan is increasing this week. Not sure how the legs will handle it.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 31/08/11

7.37 Miles = 1.11.51 (9.45 pace)

Ran on GAA Pitch Grass. Legs sore.

Thursday 01/09/11

Treadmill = 7K = 43.XX.

Tried to do a tempo run on treadmill this evening. Lower legs were really tired and weak. Managed to do 2k at tempo pace and then all the rest at recovery pace. Legs really feeling s**t at the moment and don't think i have it in me to run 15 miles on Saturday. Not sure what to do.

Saturday 03/09/11

15.11 Miles = 2.29.50 - (Pace = 9.55)

Had ice bath Friday night and wore compression socks afterwards to help the muscles in the legs which were very weak last week.
    Ran this 15 miles and really enjoyed it. Last couple of miles were hard but always felt i was going to finish.
    Have decided also to take a few days off and to start back running on Thursday. Hopefully the few days rest will refresh the legs and help me finish the training plan without any injuries.

Sunday 04/09/11

Cross Train - 3 miles approx

At the all ireland final (a proud Kilkenny man) so counting the walk from dorset street to Croke Park and back as cross training.

Also heavy few days of drinking (sunday & Monday) celebrating the victory. Probably be the last drinks i have before the marathon.

Thursday 08/09/11

4.5 Miles - GAA Pitch (Tempo)

Took four days off from running to rest the legs somewhat and celebrate the all lreland victory. Went down to the GAA Pitch this morning with the wife and ran my first tempo run ever that wasn't on a treadmill.

1 mile - 10.36 pace
    2.5 mile - 7.51 pace
    1 mile - 10.17 pace

Legs were better than last week (wouldn't be hard) but still not in brilliant shape. I'm sure it's just their are alot of miles in them lately and probably alittle tired. Feel like i am ready for Saturday's 16 miler and cant wait to do it.

Saturday 03/09/11

16.49 Miles = 2.42.21 - (Pace = 9.50)

Ran this on the road. Happy enough with how it went. First 6 miles, leg's were a bit weak and found it tough. But gutted, it out and next 6/7 miles felt very easy and found it hard to hold my pace back. Last three miles, legs were feeling it a little bit. But could have ran further if i needed to.

Sunday 04/09/11

Cross Train - 3 mile walk approx

Recovery 4.28 miles tonight. Hope the legs are ok after saturday.

Monday 12/09/11

4.27 Miles = 50.04 - (Pace = 11.42) - Recovery Run

Lower legs felt this, even though i was at recovery pace. Legs must be stilling feeling the effects of Saturday's 16 mile run. Tonight, plan is to run 8.1 miles at 10minute pace. Don't know, if the legs are up to this. Based on last nights run, i don't think so. However, im going to give it a go.

Wednesday 14/09/11

8.17 Miles = 1.20.31 - (Pace = 9.51) - Easy Run

Supposed to do this run on Tuesday, but late home from work so only got to do it last night. Was concerned my legs might be f**ked from recent mileage. Their not in great shape but still managed to do this.
    Plan tonight is 5 miles, probably somewhere between easy & recovery. My legs don't feel the best today.
    After tonight's run, will rest the legs until half marathon Sunday and have ice bath saturday night.

Thursday 15/09/11

5.12 Miles = 51.17 - (Pace = 10.01) - Easy Run

Lower legs in absolute s**t during and after this run. Wasn't sure whether the legs would hold up on this run after 8+miles the night before. Anyway, gave it a go and found it very tough going with my ankles feeling very weak/tired. Not enjoyable run by any means.
    Resting now until Kilkenny Half Marathon on Sunday. So plan is Friday - Rest, Saturday - Rest & Ice Bath.
    Need some recovery in the legs or else i'm at nothing running this race.
    Plan if the ankles recovery sufficently is to run at pace 8.05 - 8.10.
    My target at the start of the year for a half was 1.50.00 (8.24 pace). Ran 1.19.57 for the Frank Duffy 10 mile so will probably look to pace at 8.05 for the first few miles and see how it goes.

Sunday 18/09/11

Kilkenny Half Marathon

My first ever half marathon. Target at the beginning of the year was 1.50.00.
    Thought based on Frank Duffy run, i could do somewhere between 1.46 - 1.48. Decided to start out at 8.05 pace and see how i went.

Anyway first mile, lost the run of myself alittle and ran it in 7.48, passed out quiet a few people, but felt ok. Second mile the same time my average pace was 7.48. Around this time i noticed the 1.45.00 pacers ahead of me. They seemed to be running around the same pace as myself, so i caught onto the back of them and kept pace with them.

So my plan of 8.05 was suddenly changed and i knew i'd live to regret it.
    Found it fairly ok for mile 3/4/5 to keep with pacers and tougher on mile 6. At mile 7 decided the pace was too tough for me and dropped off the back. My average pace after 7 miles was 7.55 and i couldn't hold it any longer. Mile 8/9/10 ran along with 2/3 other runners that were dropped off the back of this pacer. We swapped places numerous times.

Half a dozen runners passed us around this time whom paced themselves properly. Ran these 3 miles at a little over 8 minute pace because by mile 10 my average pace was still 7.59, but i felt like rubbish.

Wondering how i was going to keep a decent pace up. On mile 11, ran onto the ring road where it seemed a gale force wind was blowing in my face. Loads of 10k and a few half marathon runners passed me out here and i was feeling fairly demoralized. At times looked down at the garmin to see i was running at 9minute + mile pace. My average pace at mile 11 was now 8.03. i knew sub 1.47 was below 8.10 average so that was my target.

Mile 12 was really tough, felt like walking on a couple of occasions and was about to on two separate occasions, but convinced myself just to slow to a pace i could run at which was over 9minute pace. Reached mile 12 with average pace of 8.08. Last mile felt better and plan was to beat 1.47 at that stage.
    Managed to finish in 1.46.42 so happy enough with that.
    Nothing to shout about but beat my target of 1.50.00.

However, disappointed that i didn't stick to my original plan of 8.05 pace from the start. It would have saved me alot of pain.

Wife finished in a PB of 2.02.10.

Bad News

Felt pain in my right ankle about 7 miles into the race. Went away after about two miles, but 10 minutes after i finished i couldn't walk on it. It took me 20 minutes for the short walk back to the car. Last 24 hours i have been popping nurofen, using ice packs, deep freeze, wearing compression socks, elevating the leg and wearing strap on the right ankle.
    Couldn't put my weight on it yesterday, a little better today. Don't think i will be doing much running this week. Worried about this now and may go to see physio in a couple of days time.

Monday 26/09/11

5.00 Miles = 58.00 - (Pace = 11.36) - Recovery Run

Have not updated this log for a week, due to injury. Have not ran due to right leg injury, sustained in Kilkenny Half Marathon last Sunday week. Initially after run, could not put any weight on the right ankle. Over the course of the week, has gotten better, no real pain towards the end of the week, but very weak right leg. Over the week, followed the usual Rest, Ice, compression, elevation plus lots of Nurofen. Missed a whole week's training, including 18 mile LSR.
    Yesterday went out to local GAA Pitch to run 5 mile recovery pace and found this very difficult. My right leg has very little strength in it for some reason. Managed to finish it, but felt like i was hobbling around.

Went to physio last Saturday, could find nothing really wrong with the leg. Physio did not fill me with confidence. One thing he did help me with was, that my nutrition was poor (don't eat enough vegetables & Fruit). Afterwards went and bought some food supplements (80 euro's worth) and am taking 10 of these a day as due to the low level of veg/fruit i eat, physio believes that it might help to take some of these.

At the moment, it's not looking good for the marathon, will see how this week goes.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 28/09/11

2.00 Miles = 22.05 - (Pace = 11.05)

Could only run 2 miles on the leg. Noticed almost straight away that i couldn't put my weight on the right leg and was almost limping along. Not that painful, just very weak. Stopped after two miles and leg was painful for about half an hour.
    Taking day off work on Friday, going to physio. Need to find out once and for all, what is wrong. DCM looks a pipe dream at the moment. Very frustrating and not in the best of form at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to see you are still in bother. I can imagine your frustration :( Hope you get good news from the phsyio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Sorry to hear you're still lame PDCAT. I hurt my own foot on tuesday and had to limp home but it cleared up in no time but it gave me a fright and brought home to me how much doing dublin means to me at this stage. I hope the physio goes well on friday and its one of those miracle sessions where they can sort you out in exchange for a bit of pain.

all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on a great HM pb but crap that it had to come at a cost. Hope the ankle injury clears up soon.

Thanks guys...

Just feeling sorry for myself at the moment. Since i decided to aim for DCM, at the beginning of the summer, i have thought about nothing else, morning/noon/night. Achievement of completing something that a couple of years ago, i would never have dreamed of being able to do.

Anyway, i think it's off the table for the moment. Will know for definite tomorrow morning. Have enquired in work about Bike to work scheme and hopefully will have something sorted in the next six weeks. At least when i'm injured from running, it will give me something to do.

Also, looking at joining a running club in the next couple of months (after DCM). Maybe a bit of advice from experienced coach may help reduce the number of injuries i'm getting.

dont give up hope just yet man wait till next week and try again sure...

Monday 26/09/11

5.00 Miles = 1.01.21 - (Pace = 12.15)

Went to Physio Friday. Said the problem i was having was caused by locked tendon in back of knee and hamstring problem. Worked on this for about 15 minutes. He was fairly confident that it was sorted. Did not run until this morning and done 5 miles at a snail's pace around the local GAA Pitch. Had a few beers last night so found this tough.
    Front of the right shin is still sore when i'm pushing off on the foot. Booked into the marathon but still unsure of how the leg will hold up.
    Plan is to run 10 mile around the gaa pitch at slow pace tomorrow and see how it goes.

Wednesday 06/10/11

10.00 Miles = 1.39.44 - (Pace = 9.58)

Held off until today to run this 10miler. Went down to Local GAA Pitch to run this on grass. Wasn't sure, how long i would be able to stick running on the leg or even if i could hold any sort of a pace. Started off at approx 10minute pace and held it of the duration of the run. Could feel front of right leg a little sore for the first 4/5 miles, then never really noticed after that.

Came home, done 20 minutes stretching, applied ice to the leg for 20 minutes, took a nurofen and now i'm hoping for the best. So far, five hours after completing the run, leg seems ok.(not sure if that's the nurofen or not). But all in all, was very happy to get through this 10miler at 10minute pace.

Will continue to stretch, take another nurofen tonight and see how it goes.
    Am going to physio on Saturday morning and then will try 20miler LSR on Sunday morning. Will have to do this on the road so i'm a bit concerned about that. But will wear compression socks & Compression sleeve on the sore leg. Not sure whether to run at 10minute pace or just take it very easy and run 11minute pace with the wife. Will decide on Sunday morning.

well done PDCAT! its a great step forward!! it must feel good

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »
    well done PDCAT! its a great step forward!! it must feel good

Yeah, thanks Bob. Yesterday's run went better than i expected and i'm starting to feel a little more confident as the leg has been ok since the run.
    Sunday's 20miler on the road will be the acid test for the leg. Will know more after this run.

Advertisement