Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keep Improving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Tuesday 22/02/11

5.20 Miles = 44.54 - (Pace = 8.38)

Same route as Sunday, found it very tough today. Since i started back from few weeks off from injury, finding the road run's tougher. Calves seem heavy, hamstrings a little tight. Not noticing these problems when running on the treadmill.
    Could be that the legs haven't been used to running on the roads for about two months and are getting used to it again (hope so). Found today very tough, even though my times are roughly what they were before injury.
    Also only home from work at 3.30am this morning and up at 11.00 straight out to run. Maybe the body wasn't up to it as i would be a bit groggy after the evening shift.
    Ah well, i'll see how Thursday's run goes.

Thursday 24/02/11

5.20 Miles = 43.54 - (Pace = 8.27)

Lovely morning for this run. Felt fairly comfortable today, not the same tiredness in my legs, ive felt the last couple of weeks on the road.
    Fairly hilly route, so legs were tested at times but managed to keep going and felt strong at the end. Never felt any problems with the left leg. First time in month's this has been the case. All positive's today.

Unfortunately will not get a long run in this weekend as off to Brussels tomorrow for brother's stag (29 of us), so i'm afraid it will be lots drinking, some smoking and some rubbish food.

Need to crack on increasing the distance of long run's and start doing some Tempo's again. Will probably wait until second week in March to start these.

Tuesday 01/03/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.05

In Brussels at brother's stag last weekend, so no long run done.
    Also three days of beer, fags and Mcdonalds food.

Back in gym, after abusing meself for the weekend, found this workout ok.
    Need to start kicking on now over next 8 weeks and build up the long run's.

Thursday 03/03/11

Treadmill = 8K = 46.55

Ran at the usual speed 10km on treadmill until the last Kilometer then i increased the speed to 12.5Km. Had not used this pace since i got injured. Just wanted to test out the leg. No problems.
    Plan to see Physio again tomorrow (hopefully for the last time) and on Sunday go on Long run (7miles approx) and see how i hold up.

Sunday 06/03/11

6.88 Miles = 1.02.51 - (Pace = 9.08)

Very nice run yesterday morning in decent weather. Fairly hilly route so plan was not to run hard but to try and complete distance feeling comfortable. Managed to acheive this and happy enough.
    Left leg was a little sore afterwards. Not sure if it's the same area that was injured before. Need to keep a watch on this.

Went to physio saturday, gave me some Omega Oils, (two month supply). Will take them and see how it goes. He said it was ok to up the mileage now and go back to speed work.
    Little concerned though after yesterday's run, seeing as leg was sore last night. Tomorrow's 5.2 mile run will tell a lot.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 08/03/11

5.20 Miles = 45.09 - (Pace = 8.41)

Legs felt a little tired this morning. Possibly because i ran 7 miles only 48 hours earlier and only got home from work at 2.30am this morning and straight out of bed to run.
    Tried to run slowly enough and be comfortable like sunday's run... Achieved this for the most part except for the backbreaking hill about one mile from home.
    Left Leg little sore again after this run. Applied ice to it for 20minutes and done strenghtening exercises both before and after run.
    Bit worried about the leg at the moment, hoping the injury isn't returning. Will make sure to do all strenghenting exercises over the next week and apply ice after runs to see if this helps.

Thursday 10/03/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.06

Chickened out when i saw the tornado outside my house this morning and went to the gym instead. Easy 8k, left leg bit sore. Not sure what the story is with this at the moment. Last three run's ive done, it has been a little sore afterwards. Think injury may be back.
    Probably make a visit to the physio next week. Also looking at possibly running next couple of runs on grass (around the local GAA field). Won't know what distance i'm doing, but may just run for a set period of time.
    Will decide on Sunday as i'm due a 7 mile run.

Sunday 13/03/11

6.88 Miles = 1.03.52 - (Pace = 9.17)

Same route as last week. Tried to run this easy and make it as comfortable as possible. Watching the leg as well taking note of how sore it was. Overall happy enough with the run. Leg, not too bad, little sore last night. Applied ice after run and done strenghening exercises.

Busy few days. All in all happy enough with progress.

Tuesday 15/03/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.06

No real problems with the leg, found this quiet easy.

Thursday 17/03/11 - Portlaoise 5K Run. --- 21.25 PB

Decided to do this race as this was my first ever race last year. My PB for 5k was 21.27 which was acheived in the Jingle Bells 5K in December. Didn't hold out much hope of getting near this as i hadn't ran in January due to injury, only back 6 weeks and also hadn't done any tempo/interval type training since last November. Aim was to beat 22mins and build on that later in the year as my target is sub 21 before year end.

The course was 3.5 laps of Portlaoise town. Started nearer the front than normal. i normally start towards the back as i like to be passing folks rather than being passed. However due to narrow streets and tight turns i was concerned that if i started too far back i would have trouble passing people. I needn't have worried as this was definitely not a problem for me as i passed hardly anyone but fortunately only about dozen people passed me during the race so i probably started in the right place.

Started slightly too fast following those speed merchants ahead of me. I settled quiet quickly and hit 1k mark approx 4.20 which i was happy with. Slight hill at start of the second k. Found this hill ok but was finding this race tough even at this stage. Second K was again approx 4.25. I say approx as there were no markers on the course which i was disapointed with to say the least. There was a map in the pre registration room with some info and i was going by this, but don't know how accurate it was. By the third Kilometer i was gasping for air. Few people passed me here and i thought i was slowing up. However, was surprised to see that i ran the third K in approx 4.05 (12.50) after 3K's.
    I died a bit of a death here. As with all my other 5K races, for some reason the 4K is always my slowest by a long way. I trudged around this kilometer trying not to lose too many places and save something for the last kilometer. Completed 4th Kilometer in approx 5mins. Last Kilometer i kicked on as best i could. I must have had a bit of energy due to slow 4th K. Kept pace with those around me, however never passed anyone out. Completed last Kilometer in approx 3.40 which was my fastest of the race and i'd say i just dug in and hung on for the last 200 meters. Looked at my watch at the finished line and was pleasantly surprised that i ran 21.25, a new PB by two seconds. Found this much tougher going than Jingle Bells possibly due to the fact, that i have done any speed work since last november and about 5 weeks injury didn't help.
    However, couldn't have hoped for better and hope to do some speed work and maybe try to beat sub 21 towards the end of the year at jingle bells. Have other fish to fry first.

Saturday 19/03/11

Carrauntwohill

One of my goals for last year that i failed to complete. So as i had a few days off work, myself and wife drove down to Killarney for couple of nights. On Saturday, we headed to Cronin's yard and parked up. Wasn't really sure of the directions, but knew how to access the mountain through the Devil's Ladder route. Headed through the Hag's Glen, passed Hag's tooth, up the tough, dangerous in parts Devil's ladder in wet and slippery conditions. At the top, visibility was poor, climbed on for another while to the top of Carrauntwohill mountain. Had small lunch at the top and headed back down the same route. All in all, took about 5.30 Hours from start to finish. Very wet, windy and have slight cold now.
    But delighted to complete this as this was a target of mine for this year. Have reached summitt of four highest mountain ranges in ireland now. Can chalk this one off and concentrate on other running targets now.

All in all a good week.

Tuesday 22/03/11

5.20 Miles = 45.18 - (Pace = 8.43)

Found this very tough today. Was not looking forward to this run. Dragged myself around the route and never felt good. Having said that, it was a most beautiful day for running, just my body wasn't up for it.

Have felt sore/stiff since going up Carrauntwohill on Saturday. Think it was the devil's ladder bit of the climb. Legs, front and back very stiff and shoulders the same. Also only got home from work at 4am last night and went out for this run as soon as i got out of the leaba at 11am this morning so i was half asleep. Also, this route is very hilly with approx 1 mile of very steep uphill in it.
    Anyway, it's over and done with now. Will do it again on Thursday.

• Advertisement

Thursday 24/03/11

5.20 Miles = 45.16 - (Pace = 8.42)

Again, found this really tough again today. Absolutely beautiful day out, but found it hard to enjoy as legs were just not finding it easy during this run. Don't know why that is. Had the same problem on Tuesday.

Again got to bed at 3.30am last night after work and ran straight after getting up out of bed this morning. Maybe this has something to do with why i'm finding it so tough.

Also, this route is very tough with .56 mile hill near the end which is ooh so tough (never seen hill in connemara marathon, but it would want to be very severe to beat this).

Maybe i should consider an easier route, but hate given in. Anyway LSR on Saturday will be just under 9 miles. Hoping it will go better than last two runs this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the PB. You're chipping away nicely at that 5k time.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB. You're chipping away nicely at that 5k time.

Thanks pgmcpq - Hoping to go under 21 minutes before year end. Due to injury haven't been concentrating on any tempos/interval's, just trying to gain some mileage. Would love to do Dublin Marathon in October. Waiting to see if leg holds up.
    Plan is to run Half Marathon in May/June (Maybe Wexford) and if happy with progress, then will jump onto a marathon plan.

Saturday 26/03/11

8.87 Miles = 1.20.38 - (Pace = 9.05)

Most enjoyable run, ive had this year. Was dreading this to begin with, as it's the longest run ive done since last November and i had two 5 mile run's early on in the week, which i felt were very tough.

However, started off this run at a slower pace and eased into it. Beautiful morning, running country roads with few cars. Found the extra distance was no problem. If only every run could be like this.

Went for a four mile walk later on Saturday evening and another four mile walk Sunday morning, to loosen up the legs a bit.

Tuesday 29/03/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.08

Legs little bit tired for first 2k and last 2k, think, their probably still feeling the effects of longer run on Saturday.

Started reading 'Born to Run' a week ago now. Bout half way through. Enjoyable read.

Thursday 31/03/11

5.20 Miles = 44.35 - (Pace = 8.34)

Done my usual run, this time in the evening time as opposed to morning after working night shift. Find it easier running this run after day shift for some reason , more strength/power in the legs and more enjoyable. Still find this route tough though.

Saturday 02/04/11

9.81 Miles = 1.28.01 - (Pace = 8.58)

Found this very tough on the legs. Shin's felt weak/tired on both legs. This is similiar to what i have found last year also when i have been running more regularly on the road's. Shin area on both legs seems to be weak/tired and find it hard to enjoy the run. Will stay off the road until this saturday and give this route another go.

Tuesday 07/04/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.08

Done some Strengthening exercises for the shin's afterwards.

Saturday 09/04/11

9.81 Miles = 1.26.53 - (Pace = 8.51)

Felt rubbish after bout 3/4 miles. Running this long run way too fast. Completed first mile in 8.11 which is way too fast for me. After bout 5.5 miles started to feel it and trudged home through the last few miles. Legs were pretty sore afterwards. At this stage, i should be able to do this run in my sleep and have cruised this particular loop before. Have to learn to slow down and try and be comfortable doing the LSR.......

Sat evening - took dog for a 3 mile walk to loosen up the legs.

Sunday 10/04/11

Beautiful morning. Up nice and early for a 8 mile hilly walk. Legs bit tight/sore at the start from the day before but soon loosened up.

Tuesday 12/04/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.37 (Tempo of sorts)

Haven't done any speedwork since last November due to Injury. Tried a little bit yesterday, if you could call it speedwork.

First 2k at 9kph followed by 4k at 11kph, then last 2k back at 9kph.
    Much slower tempo then i was doing before xmas but i believe this intensity may have contributed to my injury so going to ease back into it.

Done some Strengthening exercises for the shin's afterwards and also some weights.

• Advertisement

Thursday 14/04/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.06

Also done some strenghening exercises.

Sunday 17/04/11

11.12 Miles = 1.42.07 - (Pace = 9.11)

Longest run since December. Found it better than last week as i tried to run a little slower. First mile at 8.56 so slower than last week, still too fast for what i should be running. Lovely morning for it. Legs a little f**ked after it, but better today.

Plan to run Rosslare 10k next monday and run Wexford Half Marathon in May.

Tuesday 19/04/11

Treadmill = 8K = 47.37 (Tempo of sorts)

Again, lovely day for running in the gym :rolleyes:. Anyway done a tempo of sorts. 2K at 9kph, then 4K at 11.5kph, then back to 2K at 9kph. Found it easier than i thought. Fastest i've used the treadmill since last November. Think there's more there. Hopefully will help me some way towards getting a decent time in Rosslare.

Done some strengthening exercises after.

Thursday 21/04/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.05

Also done some strenghening exercises.

Cahir 10k on saturday. May do this instead of Rosslare 10k on Monday. Nice to get the run done earlier on in the bank holiday weekend.
    My PB for 10k is 47.58. Goal for this year is sub 45.
    No way in shape to do this at the moment. Hoping to get new PB somewhere around sub 47. Here's hoping.

Cahir 10k - 48.11

Done this run on Saturday afternoon. They had a 5k and 10k set up. Route being one or two laps of the town, through castle park depending on which run you were doing. I decided on the 10k whilst my wife ran the 5k. The only 10k i ran was last july. My PB so was 47.58. I hoped to beat this today. By end of year my goal is sub 45. In no shape to get near there, but thought i could run 46.XX which would have kept me happy.

Run started off and first KM was through the town with a few twists and turns, sharp corners so slowish through this part of town. Route went out to the cahir partland through forest area. Absolutely beautiful route, best i've ever ran and quiet peaceful. Missed the first KM marker, but felt ok. Second KM went ok as well and hit it at 9.10 (4.35 pace). i was targetting 4.35 - 4.40 pace to achieve 46.XX.

This is where i noticed things not going my way. Third KM was tougher and slight uphills on the route through the forest. Hit 3k in 4.59 approx and not feeling great. At this point a 5k runner came up beside me and i stayed with him for the next 1.5km. The fourth KM was 5.00 and i knew now i was in trouble. This KM was fairly hilly and there was no way this course seemed like a fast course. The Fifth KM was 4.40 - i caught up with a couple of 10k runners and stayed with them for a while. At 5k i was at 23.49 which was about 30 seconds slower than at the 10k i ran last year and about a minute slower than where i planned to be. What's worse is that i was struggling.

The next km was a bit surreal - back on the second lap running ok with two other 10k runners i was after catching. We were running fairly ok but according to the watch we had ran the 6th KM in 6.20 which was definitely not the case. Don't have a garmin, but i would definitely think this was a mistake here. The 7th km spent most of the time battling it out with the other two guys trying to keep up.

8th and 9th km was fairly hilly and i was really struggling. The two boys were pulling away one of them was gone a good bit ahead. All negative thoughts running through my head. ' im not getting any faster'. 'why bother do a half marathon if i'm dying in a 10km' 'Going to be gutted after this race'. Anyway even though i wanted to walk, i wouldn't give in and kept running no matter what the pace. i managed to catch up with one of the guys in front who seemed to dying more than i. We chatted over the final 2km. Basically he was a local guy whom was training for his fourth marathon. His PB was 44.XX and he was also nowhere near it. He said that the course was too tough for PB and not too worry which cheered me up no end.

At the 9km mark we were at 44.30 approx and at this stage i was going to be lucky to beat 50minutes. The two of us decided not to race the last km and just go at our normal pace and finish together. Anyway i crossed the line and was surprised to look at my watch and see 48.11 (only 13 seconds outside my pb). Last KM clocked at about 3.40 which must have been short as we cruised in. I easily could have knocked off this 13 seconds if i had of raced the other boyo.

After the race was a bit gutted as this is the first race since i started running 18months ago that i never got a PB (seventh race in total). Trying to figure out what could have went wrong. Couple of things:

- Think the course was a hard enough course with some signicant uphill sections particularly around KM 3,4,8,9. From talking to couple of local lads this seem to be the case.

- Very warm day out and race was on Saturday at 3pm - i really felt the heat particularly on the second lap. There was one water station which i did not see and therefore i ran the whole 10k without water in what was a very warm day.

- In the six days before this run i had done a 11mile LSR, 5 Mile tempo and 5 mile run less than 48 hours before race and maybe this had some effect on the legs. Definitely they felt dead after a first few km. Anyway trying not to beat myself up about it, start doing some speed work if i want to improve times. Not been doing any of these and it's probably the main reason, i 'm not getting any faster times.

Monday 25/04/11

Mount Alto - Inistioge

Walked this route early monday morning with wife. Took 2.30 hours with some nice uphill involved. Approx 7 - 9 miles walking. Nice morning for it.

Tuesday 26/04/11

Treadmill = 8K = 46.44 (Tempo of sorts)

(2km at 9kph, 4km at 12kph, 2km at 9kph).

Found running at 12kph very hard. Done some strenghening exercises and some sit up's.

Thursday 28/04/11

11.12 Miles = 1.40.43 - (Pace = 9.03)

Beautiful run last thursday morning. Brothers wedding on Friday and lots of drinking (and smoking) over the next four days as i was best man. Thank god it's all over now.... Big problem is my left leg seems to be injured again due to jumping up and down on dancefloor during wedding.

Wearing shoes - throwing lots of shapes and lots of thinking i was on a trampoline. Obviously, there is some weakness in this left shin area. Will not run for this week as it's still sore and may try a run Sunday morning.
    If it's still bad, will have to go to physio and stop running for the time being.

This all puts Wexford Half Marathon in jepoardy.

Thursday 12/05/11

Treadmill = 8K = 48.05

Back after two weeks without running. Due to sore shin picked up on dancefloor during brother's wedding, i was unable to run on this. Decided to wait until yesterday (exactly two weeks) before trying it out.
    Past two weeks i've been doing:

Strenthening exercises for shin's (20 minutes per day).
    Sit ups (25 per day)
    Weight - upper body (3 times per week x 15 minutes).

Not a whole lot really. Anyway this run yesterday went surprisingly well. Couple of twinges in the left shin, nothing much.

Plan tomorrow 5.2 mile outdoor run with the wife.

• Advertisement

Saturday 14/05/11

5.20 Miles = 53.58 - (Pace = 10.23)

Went out with my wife for a leisurely jog on Saturday morning. Ran at her pace, so that the left shin would be ok. Found this pace very slow but really enjoyable and finished the distance with my legs feeling great, would hardly have known, i had ran anything at all. Nice morning for it as well.

Advertisement