Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The way forward for LC2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Is any school actually giving mocks? We still don't know what the story is with ours?
    I'm happy to make my own paper and correct it.

Yes ,all our teachers were told to have them ready to photocopy as soon as school opens. After DEB-gate we were told to make our own arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭French Toast

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Is any school actually giving mocks? We still don't know what the story is with ours?
    I'm happy to make my own paper and correct it.

Ours have been suspended indefinitely. Probably going to go ahead ASAP once we're back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

Ours have been suspended indefinitely. Probably going to go ahead ASAP once we're back.

DCG students have been given 8 days from the day we return to finish their project. It would be unfair to ask these students to do their mocks at the same time. I know that many schools don't have DCG so it won't affect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

You would wonder if, after probably two months out of school, getting LC students to sit a mock exam as soon as they return is fair and reasonable. It sounds more like schools desperately trying to gather data rather than serving the needs of either teacher or student at that point. Presumably the only way they will really be able to do themselves justice with such immediate effect is if they are given a huge steer in advance on what's coming up which surely undermines the objective credibility of the grades they get.

Surely there is an argument for (assuming schools go back in early March) giving mocks maybe in early May - which would keep students engaged and could be treated as a de facto LC for those who are looking for predicted grades. It would not necessarily have to count for the full 100% even of a predicted grade or predicted portion of a grade.

Obviously there is the basic reality that all schools would have to do them simultaneously but would that be beyond the wit of man to organise? Maybe I am making it all sound easier than it would be, and also not giving enough credit to teachers for what would usually be a very good stab anyway at where a student falls in terms of grade/standard no matter how they arrive at them. I just would be concerned about the fairness or need for students to walk straight into an exam just after arriving back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Rosita wrote: »
    You would wonder if, after probably two months out of school getting LC students to sit a mock exam as soon as they return is fair and reasonable. It sounds more like schools desperately trying to gather data rather than serving the needs of either teacher or student at that point. Presumably the only will really be able t do themselves justice with such immediate effect is if they are given a huge steer in advance on what's coming up which surely undermines the objective credibility of the grades they get.

Surely there is an argument for (assuming schools go back in early March) giving mocks maybe in early May - which would keep students engaged and could be treated as a de facto LC for those who are looking for predicted grades. It would not necessarily have to count for the full 100% even of a predicted grade or predicted portion of a grade.

Obviously there is the basic reality that all schools would have to do them simultaneously but would that be beyond the wit of man to organise? Maybe I am making it all sound easier than it would be, and also not giving enough credit to teachers for what would usually be a very good stab anyway at where a student falls in terms of grade/standard no matter how they arrive at them. I just would be concerned about the fairness or need for students to walk straight into an exam just after arriving back.

I agree that March is not the time for mock exams. I don’t agree with trying to have them all on at the same time, that would take longer than most schools spend on mocks. The actual leaving cert is 3 weeks, but mocks are only 2 because all schools don’t have all options, and would have subjects against each other in a way that 2 subjects could run at the same time in the mock exams. It would be a lot of class time to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I find it somewhat disturbing our resistance to radically changing our educational system, it no longer truly serves us, covid is a perfect opportunity to do so, but here we are.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think the key part of your post Rosita, is the phrase "will of man". Anything can be changed, as long as there is the will (and often, the budget) to do it.In this case it is mainly will.
    Common sense would say late April/early May at this point for Mocks.(can't remember exact Easter date). Then again, common sense is not that common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I find it somewhat disturbing our resistance to radically changing our educational system, it no longer truly serves us, covid is a perfect opportunity to do so, but here we are.....

It's resistance to change for changes sake. What about the educational system no longer serves us?

It's about getting fundamentals in several subjects, learning hard work, determination, resilience, and negotiation. It also has a bit of pressure to introduce students to the realities of life. It's not as outdated as people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Irish Times reporting this morning that 40% of students who sat the winter Leaving Cert got a higher grade in the written exam than the predicted grade

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/nearly-40-of-written-leaving-cert-exams-scored-higher-than-calculated-grades-1.4473526

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Smacruairi wrote:
    It's about getting fundamentals in several subjects, learning hard work, determination, resilience, and negotiation. It also has a bit of pressure to introduce students to the realities of life. It's not as outdated as people think.

By God it is, it's primarily rote learning, it teaches kids, in order to be successful you must continually work hard, and if you don't bring that work home with you, you 'll be a failure, being competitive is far more important than being cooperative, being yourself is frowned upon, it encourages herd mentality, I.e. similar thinking, then at the end of it all, how prepared are you truly for adulthood? Jesus, what are we doing to kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Irish Times reporting this morning that 40% of students who sat the winter Leaving Cert got a higher grade in the written exam than the predicted grade

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/nearly-40-of-written-leaving-cert-exams-scored-higher-than-calculated-grades-1.4473526

I suppose that makes sense as they only say the ones they felt they could improve on ?
    Turns out 60% of them were wrong on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

A lot of them only did one subject, I think three was the most subjects undertaken. No one did the full LC. So it's neither here nor there regarding written LC over PG imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Big validation for them wanting PG then.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    A lot of them only did one subject, I think three was the most subjects undertaken. No one did the full LC. So it's neither here nor there regarding written LC over PG imo.

I know a girl that did I think 5 or 6 subjects. So you can't just dismiss the grades. Bar a couple of subjects, the project was not included, the exams were 100% written.

I know a girl that did I think 5 or 6 subjects. So you can't just dismiss the grades. Bar a couple of subjects, the project was not included, the exams were 100% written.

Very rare case and J hope she did well. The fact remains the vast majority did one, two or three subjects. Obviously that is not the same as a normal LC where the workload is seven subjects. If it's the same sure let them all do three subjects this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

You would wonder if, after probably two months out of school getting LC students to sit a mock exam as soon as they return is fair and reasonable. It sounds more like schools desperately trying to gather data rather than serving the needs of either teacher or student at that point. Presumably the only will really be able t do themselves justice with such immediate effect is if they are given a huge steer in advance on what's coming up which surely undermines the objective credibility of the grades they get.

Totally pointless running mocks in May. The whole point of them is to get a sense of where they are at and what areas they need to improve on. Having mocks that late would be like a de facto leaving cert so the teachers could use the results for "predictive" grades. If the mocks cannot be run before Easter and graded as quickly as possible, then it would be better to use the time for classes, finishing practical projects, planning the run into the actual leaving cert etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

PoolDude wrote: »

I never thought of it like that. Interesting alright.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

PoolDude wrote: »

I didn't think so considering 40% got better grades without being in class for 5 months before the exams. Imagineif they had had the normal class contact time in the run up.

Following on from Nov results just released, would there be anything to be said for all students doing the written LC in Irish,English and Maths and predictive grades in the other subjects?
    Also just out of curiosity, are some subjects easier to give a Pg for than others ie Maths easier than English ? Music easier than History ? Or all equally as difficult ?.

• Advertisement

Following on from Nov results just released, would there be anything to be said for all students doing the written LC in Irish,English and Maths and predictive grades in the other subjects?
    Also just out of curiosity, are some subjects easier to give a Pg for than others ie Maths easier than English ? Music easier than History ? Or all equally as difficult ?.

Not all students would consider English, Irish and Maths their best subjects - or worst depending on what way you want to look at exams v predicted grades.

It's as difficult to predict a grade in any subject. You know a student's ability, you know how they have scored in class tests on the day. You give your best estimation based on that, but it could go either way on the day. There are students every year who surprise their teachers by pulling a higher grade out of the bag, equally there are students who make a complete mess of the paper and score lower than expected.

I didn't think so considering 40% got better grades without being in class for 5 months before the exams. Imagineif they had had the normal class contact time in the run up.

But 60% got a better grade without ever sitting the exam at all. Can you not see how that will be read.

But 60% got a better grade without ever sitting the exam at all. Can you not see how that will be read.

Well if you want to go down that route, then couldn't the DES go, 'well we let them away lightly last year, now we have reasonable justification to clamp down on the predicted grades this year and pull them down'. By your own argument, most students did only 1 or 2 subjects, so surely when they had months to prepare for that subject they should have been able to pull it out of the bag.

I can see how it can be read, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Well if you want to go down that route, then couldn't the DES go, 'well we let them away lightly last year, now we have reasonable justification to clamp down on the predicted grades this year and pull them down'. By your own argument, most students did only 1 or 2 subjects, so surely when they had months to prepare for that subject they should have been able to pull it out of the bag.

I think it shows that perhaps their teachers were very generous.
    As for some kind of revenge tactic from the DES, I would hope they are more mature than that.
    Bottom line is the results today are not a major selling point to students for doing written exams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 indolent

If they thought last year's grades were high, they're in for some shock. Teachers who trusted that the results would be standardized across schools won't be fooled twice. Norma's days are numbered

• Advertisement

I can see how it can be read, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Of course, but if you were a student and not a teacher would you still feel the same. That is the point I'm trying to make. It's difficult to get the tone right on line. Sometimes people just want to teese things out rather than picking a side.

Of course, but if you were a student and not a teacher would you still feel the same. That is the point I'm trying to make. It's difficult to get the tone right on line. Sometimes people just want to teese things out rather than picking a side.

Agreed. But people will see what they want to see in these types of things I think. Confirmation bias. If someone wants to sit the exam this summer this will reassure them,if someone wants predicted grades it'll also reassure them.

Not all students would consider English, Irish and Maths their best subjects - or worst depending on what way you want to look at exams v predicted grades.

It's as difficult to predict a grade in any subject. You know a student's ability, you know how they have scored in class tests on the day. You give your best estimation based on that, but it could go either way on the day. There are students every year who surprise their teachers by pulling a higher grade out of the bag, equally there are students who make a complete mess of the paper and score lower than expected.

I was thinking core subjects rather than their favourite subjects.
        Tks for your thoughts on one subject over another being equally as difficult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 indolent

Bottom line is the results today are not a major selling point to students for doing written exams.

Is it really their job to incentivize students to sit them ? Do them, don't do them whatever. I don't understand why students and parents alike believe its their god forsaken right to attend college without having sat exams.

Pre-pandemic, students suffering bereavements would be given just 3 days leave from exams. No predicted grades for these students. If they wanted to attend college, they would just have to sit the leaving cert.

Why can't such a tough stance be adopted this year ? The department are making absolutely no effort.

I think it shows that perhaps their teachers were very generous.
        As for some kind of revenge tactic from the DES, I would hope they are more mature than that.

It would be disingenuous to see it as revenge. There was no experience of doing this before last year. The grades were inflated last year. The majority of students who sat the written exams did not improve on the predicted grade. It would point to justification for tweaking it further this year, rather than revenge.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

As expected, CAO applications hit record levels. More misery for the 2021 LCs as they will probably require higher points to secure a college place. They will be up against many 2020 LCs who's points will be made up of predicted grades. The 2020 LCs will get offered places first, leaving fewer places for the 2021 LCs.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cao-applications-hit-record-levels-40038770.html

Wombatman wrote: »
        As expected, CAO applications hit record levels. More misery for the 2021 LCs as they will probably require higher points to secure a college place. They will be up against many 2020 LCs who's points will be made up of predicted grades. The 2020 LCs will get offered places first, leaving fewer places for the 2021 LCs.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cao-applications-hit-record-levels-40038770.html

The perfect storm.

indolent wrote: »
        Is it really their job to incentivize students to sit them ? Do them, don't do them whatever. I don't understand why students and parents alike believe its their god forsaken right to attend college without having sat exams.

Pre-pandemic, students suffering bereavements would be given just 3 days leave from exams. No predicted grades for these students. If they wanted to attend college, they would just have to sit the leaving cert.

Why can't such a tough stance be adopted this year ? The department are making absolutely no effort.

I would say because of last year. Precedent.

Wow! Nearly 80,000 applicants. I thought it would be high but not that high, it was usually around 60k no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Treppen wrote: »
        Wow! Nearly 80,000 applicants. I thought it would be high but not that high, it was usually around 60k no?

72,751 in 2018 and 76,213 in 2017. Last year’s number was 73,035.

Treppen wrote: »

It typically would be, the ones who sat the winter LC can't account for all of it as there was only 2000-2500 students registered for the exams from what was reported a couple of months back.

Population is increasing, students might be thinking twice about going abroad with covid being the major factor, students might not be looking at the UK as an option this year due to Brexit. And I presume some students decided to wait it out last year.

79k is massive though.

With numbers like that I think it puts in perspective predicted grades v written exams. There will be huge competition for places regardless of how grades are decided.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I see no reason why the Department could not create a couple of mock papers to add some variety. Even as I write this Im thinking this is a mess.
        Students obviously would prefer Predicted grades plus the option of an exam in Nov again. For very obvious reasons. No studying etc.
        But I say hold the line-give them an exam in July -increase their choice and tell them to get on with it.
        Im tired of hearing about the mental health of students. Life is stessfull=we cant give them the impression that **** doesn't happen.
        That being said-giving them a wellness module and no counselling is bull****.
        Those who need help-give them professionals but in life simply saying you have mental health issues doesn't get you a free pass on the **** that life will throw at you. Unfortunately.

60% got the same or worse grades

I'd say if they go hybrid it will be interesting to see if students know their PG & would they pick their worst subject or best subjects to take predicted grades in.

Based on the fact 60% are the same or less you might pick your worst and then try to maximise the results in your best by focusing on them knowing there is a 40% chance you'd do better than a PG and that was with 4 months or more extra study time and having completed the course with less class time missed

72,751 in 2018 and 76,213 in 2017. Last year’s number was 73,035.

So a 6k increase in applications and did Harris announce 5k more places next year - so a delta of 1k places? They should be able to solve for that in the first instances as it takes that challenge off the table and reduces some of the stress this news will add without this context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I think this is cliched nonsense. In what way does it not "truly serve us"? What is it supposed to achieve?

Leaving aside the educational variety provided by schools, by and large the LC seems quite successful in rewarding people who are relatively intelligent and hard-working and ensuring that they go forward to courses and careers which they are capable of undertaking. In my experience students in general terms get from the LC what they deserve based on what I have seen from them in the classroom in the context of the combination of demonstrated work-ethic, apparent intelligence, and specific aptitude. The LC seems to measure these aspects quite well in my experience though the outcomes doesn't suit many people because they are stuck with the consequences and let's face it, it's quite a personal judgement of someone.

I know lots of people who find terminal exams stressful simply because they haven't the work-ethic to prepare for them. Why wouldn't they be stressed? Sometimes it's lamented as a "memory test" which is another get-out clause for the lazy underachieving. It's nearly impossible to set an exam of any description which does not have a memory aspect, but since when has the ability to remember stuff become a bad thing?

And if anyone thinks that continuous assessment will unleash a previously pent-up bunch of critical thinkers who will thrive when the dreaded terminal exam is dispensed with they are delusional. Many of these will have to be chased to complete this work. At least with the LC the onus is on them to show up and do it or not.

• Advertisement

And if anyone thinks that continuous assessment will unleash a previously pent-up bunch of critical thinkers who will thrive when the dreaded terminal exam is dispensed with they are delusional. Many of these will have to be chased to complete this work. At least with the LC the onus is on them to show up and do it or not.

Your post hits all my points. Your final point here in particular. Do people think that there's not already a form of current assessment in the form of class tests, Xmas tests, summer tests? The amount of students who have shocked me to go up massively from my class tests to the leaving I could count on one hand. We have continuous, it just isn't marked by the DES.

The whole "is a memory test" is nonsense. 40%oral in Irish, maths is a skill, English paper 1 you practically can't study for. The list goes on.

The only argument I'd listen to in regards to LC reform is running some assessments at the end of 5th year. Also the Irish curriculum needs to change, but that's another topic entirely.

Continuous assessment has not been a step forward for the Junior Cert and would not work at Leaving Cert level.

Bobtheman wrote: »
        I see no reason why the Department could not create a couple of mock papers to add some variety.

If the DES created mock papers (separate to the work of the SEC) it would lead to a lot of 'Yeats came up on the mock paper, he definitely won't be on the real one' type stuff. Just a minefield. Better off to stay well away from mock papers aside from releasing one sample paper for new courses.

Also creating a mock isn't a issue (for me anyway, might be more difficult in maths type subjects). It's the correction /moderation that's the issue

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Tbh, if a student can't manage their college course, they won't be able to stay in it. There may be some who feel they might do better out of the predicted grades scenario and so might get the course they want, but they tend to fail to realise that getting the course they want doesn't actually mean passing out at the end of the 3 or 4 years of that course.

I'd come down on the side of just get on with the exams. Give the media no fodder, make the decision, announce it and move on to make it happen. The media are a good 50% of the problem in all of this.

Smacruairi wrote: »
        Also creating a mock isn't a issue (for me anyway, might be more difficult in maths type subjects). It's the correction /moderation that's the issue

We correct our own mocks in our school every year. A small few send out for correction but it is very much the exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Answer due next week following the Cabinet meeting. I imagine the English system will be copied. In school exams in May and continuous assessment used as metrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

We correct our own mocks in our school every year. A small few send out for correction but it is very much the exception.

Same with us. Some people make their own mock papers too.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Mardy Bum wrote: »
        Answer due next week following the Cabinet meeting. I imagine the English system will be copied. In school exams in May and continuous assessment used as metrics.

If they can do an in school exam in May why the hell can't they do the leaving??

• Advertisement

Why are they comparing Today's students LC grades to Predicted Grades on RTE?
        I thought it was Calculated grades!!!

Advertisement