Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone you really admire.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

As a quick side question, for which I only ask a single reply, rather than de rail the thread.

and yet...
    Does the fact she is essentially a proxy rapist irk you? That if it weren't for decisions that she took, thousands of German women, children, even men...

etc

The op does not have to respond to your post if they do not wish to. This is off topic so drop it please

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Eddie Jordan for entering the world of Formula 1 and having success in the sport.

But predictably turned into a smug G**

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Ms Fletcher even came to Ireland once and there were murders galore, plus the regular Garda wore guns

Doesn't she own a house here? I'm sure she does, Gosh she must be some age now!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Valentino Rossi (Motorcycle God)

Andrea Bocelli (Voice of God)

Michael Collins (Sword of God) :P

But to be honest and serious: my best mate; let's call him John.

An ordinary quiet working man who has battled for years with depression and heavy drinking.

Married, has three kids; each of them the most pleasant, well rounded human beings you could ever meet who adore their Da despite his flaws.

A staunch friend who helped me though a few dark times of my own; was always there with a listening ear.

Spent all of his adult life in voluntary medical organisation giving up countless hours of his time in the community.

One of the many, many faceless unsung heroes who keep society going.

Top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Just reading Angela Lansbury's wiki there after she was mentioned in the thread.

She's 95 or so, started acting in the forties at 18, and knew so many famous people. She had a very interesting life herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ranulph Fiennes. What a man and career. Arguably one of fittest people to have lived. He is not that well known but at one point he was the worlds greatest living explorer. Anyone who can get through SAS training alone in pretty incredible but to do the transglobal journey over land and sea is seriously impressive as he did in the early 1980s.

He also did 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days in his late 50s. He also climbed the eiger north face despite a fear of heights.

ranners6a.jpg

Other people I admire:

Ayrton Senna, Joe Simpson (touching the void), Adam Ondra (climber), Alistair Brownlee(tri-athlete) and Bear Grylls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Garda Alan Leblique, his funeral will take place Monday 11th.

I read today that he had received many cards and letters following the original incident and took the time to respond to them all.

RiP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My former partner grew up in the Soviet Union, and her parents were extremely vocal in their belief that Stalin was the last proper Marxist that has ever lived.

They never got to meet Fintan O'Toole.

anewme wrote: »
    Garda Alan Leblique, his funeral will take place Monday 11th.

I read today that he had received many cards and letters following the original incident and took the time to respond to them all.

RiP

Reading about that poor crather.
    RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Shane Carruth.

Primer is a masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Having watched this video

https://youtu.be/4G-YmXS9_bs about Leila Janah and her wonderful work, tough upbringing. Social entrepreneur.

Unfortunately passed away in January 2020 at 37 years of age. So much life and potential.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/01/us/leila-janah-obit-trnd/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Everlong1 wrote: »
    The hundreds of thousands who flocked to their Joshua Tree anniversary and Experience and Innocence Tours a few years ago might disagree.
    Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Tom Crean. Just about to read his book again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I admire people who stand up for what they really believe in, despite what other people think about them and no matter how mad their ideas may appear to everyone.

It takes courage to stick your neck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

William the Conqueror

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

My former partner grew up in the Soviet Union, and her parents were extremely vocal in their belief that Stalin was the last proper Marxist that has ever lived.

and to think thet it has come to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I spent a bit of time over the weekend catching up on the Covid-19 situation in Ireland. Reading articles, watching the RTÉ Player etc. What struck me is how brilliant a job Dr. Tony Houlohan is doing in representing the wider medical community during this extraordinary crisis. He's a voice of authority and principal, and very much in command of his brief. I have tremendous sympathy for all leaders involved in managing the crisis - trying to balance public health with the wider needs of society is a delicate balancing act, and they don't have the gift of foresight.

He seems like a top fellow, and I'm sure he will be awarded the highest civic honours available to a citizen of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭andyd12

Terry Wogan
    Tom Crean
    Rowan Atkinson
    Paul McGrath
    Terry Tate

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

The people who set up FoodCloud

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The whitewashing of tony holohan and his role in the cervical check scandal is scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Would agree with those that have mentioned Merkel, Ardern and AOC. AOC gets a lot of hate from the right people in my view. I hope she has good security these days as I bet some fairly riled up 2nd amendment enthusiasts wouldn't mind getting in her face. Merkel is the most effective leader I've observed in my lifetime to this point.

Marus Rashford is definitely someone I've grown to admire for his stance on child poverty and the long term impacts of it. And I say that as a Liverpool fan.
    Carole Cadwalladr also for her commitment in shining a light on the smarmy fcukers behind the scenes in major current affairs events.
    Brian Cody, Pat Kenny are two more who I respect for their commitment to their craft.
    And Greta Thunberg, up their with AOC for annoying the right people and I respect her greatly for seeing a problem and wanting to fix it. Can only imagine the abuse that she gets sent her way directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I lost a bit of respect for AOC and her "Tax the rich" hoodie for $60.
    But i guess its more a sad indictment of the US political system that money talks so she needs the sales/donations to fund her campaigning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

retalivity wrote: »
    But i guess its more a sad indictment of the US political system that money talks so she needs the sales/donations to fund her campaigning.

I once heard that the second half of a Congressman/woman's term is spent fundraising for the re-election campaign.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Eamon Ryan.
    The man gets a huge amount of money for literally sleeping on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Boris Johnson. Admire his success.

He is terrible at his job and I don't agree with his politics.

But has crafted his public image. Gets all the women even though obese.

I'd say he is great craic in the pub.

Similar for John delaney and lance Armstrong.

And the Irish panto yoke Twink. The cheeky things she gets away with. Fair play getting that success with little natural tallent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

retalivity wrote: »

Her competitor last November had raised $10M in funding to challenge her. One Republican strategist said that 75% donating to him didn't even know who he was but was doing so in an effort to get AOC out.

That's a measure of how much of a threat she is seen by them that they would make such an effort in a Democrat city. As I said, she angers the right people in my view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dolly Parton.
    I don't think I have ever heard a nasty story about her. She never had it easy and puts her money where her mouth is as regards helping people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

spurious wrote: »
    Dolly Parton.
    I don't think I have ever heard a nasty story about her. She never had it easy and puts her money where her mouth is as regards helping people.

I found myself randomly reading about her the other day. Apparently, she's funded libraries all over the world and is quite sound.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I admire people who stand up for what they really believe in, despite what other people think about them and no matter how mad their ideas may appear to everyone.

It takes courage to stick your neck out.

Yeah those are exactly the type of people who I admire. Latest one is the Russian guy Alexei Navalny. The absolute balls on him flying back to Russia the other day knowing he is walking into almost certain death but still doing it anyway to stand up to the tyranny of Putin. He has already been poisoned to within an inch of his life and now he is in one of Putins prisons where they supply the food. I cant fathom that kind of courage, its really astonishing.

In a similar vein Oscar Schindler saving all those Jews in WW2. He had a comfortable life in the Nazi regime and had no reason to do what he did except for his empathy for the Jewish people who worked for him. He spent the entire war facing certain death had he got caught. That takes unbelievable conviction and courage when it is much easier to just choose the easy life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't really "admire" anyone, nor do I have "heroes", but off the top of my head and at this moment, I would say I like Dolly Parton. A woman who came from nothing, born (literally) into a dirt poor family as one of 12 kids whose life was almost destined to be of a very different shade. But, through a combination of many different things, managed to carve out a life that would have been denied to many who were born into her circumstances.

Can't say I have much time for her music, but I'll tip my hat to her and like her healthy sense of self deprecation.

"It takes a lot of money to look this cheap".

"'If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain'. Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits"

David Brent

:pac:

Advertisement