Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Loughc wrote: »
    Same here in Dublin13 :(

Another grim Winter.

Same here in D14. This type of weather is really hard to try study to, its already depressing enough as is, but the weather makes it worse. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Looks like it's rain non stop till Thursday ugh. Blue Monday alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Looks like it's rain non stop till Thursday ugh. Blue Monday alright.

But it's very mild ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mcburns07 wrote: »
    But it's very mild ;)

I use to scoff at presenters saying this, but is there anything worse than rain at 3c. Maybe if it's 2c and raining.

• Advertisement

I use to scoff at presenters saying this, but is there anything worse than rain at 3c. Maybe if it's 2c and raining.

I just hate rain during the winter in general tbh :pac:

At least in the summer the ground dries up quickly. The relentless damp of Irish autumns/winters is by far the thing I dislike most about our climate.

At least in the summer the ground dries up quickly. The relentless damp of Irish autumns/winters is by far the thing I dislike most about our climate.

Our summers are often like a tropical monsoon season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I just hate rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's been raining here in Carrick on Shannon since 5pm and it's 6c, imagine if that was snow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's a lovely soft rain!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I apologise for moaning but it's even worse this winter as we had exactly the same last summer and pretty much 0 sunshine.

Yet you’ll have people tell you last summer as cracking!!! I kid you not.

Yet you’ll have people tell you last summer as cracking!!! I kid you not.

Every summer is cracking. It's all about light.
    When you have light from 5am to 10pm, the world is your oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I love heavy rain. Very therapeutic. Rain at dusk as daylight starts to fade is one of my favourites.

So long as I am indoors at the time of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

John.Icy wrote: »
    I love heavy rain. Very therapeutic. Rain at dusk as daylight starts to fade is one of my favourites.

I know some people complain that the rain hammering on their Velux keeps them awake. Not for me. I find it somewhat therapeutic too. The White noise helps me sleep, the noise stops me hearing anything else outside and the rain keeps the drunks away or keeps them moving. I live just off the Seafront in Bray on a main pedestrian route to the popular Seafront pubs. Fri to Sun can be noisy with drinkers on their way down or home all year round and in the Summer it can be Wed to Sun. I relax when I hear the rain hammering on the Velux because I know I wont hear or there wont be any drunken shenanigans outside as people don't hang about in the lashing rain. As you can imagine with respect to the aforementioned shenanigans the last 10 months have been Heaven with the pubs closed or closing earlier. Peaceful at night 7 days a week. Still get the relaxed feeling when the lashing rain hits the Velux though cause that neural programming doesn't fade overnight. It'll be a shock to the system when things get back to normal in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just a heads up to anyone driving this morning. Roads are very wet here in Dublin. A lot of standing water on the m50 more than I've seen in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cumulative temperature anomaly (national) for January so far up to yesterday the 18th. A slow but sure bounce back after a pretty cool start:

ZyJr4Lf.gif

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Every summer is cracking. It's all about light.
    When you have light from 5am to 10pm, the world is your oyster.

This exactly. I love summer no matter the weather we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just a heads up to anyone driving this morning. Roads are very wet here in Dublin. A lot of standing water on the m50 more than I've seen in a long time

They probably shouldn't be on boards either, that would be more dangerous than the rain surely? My coat? Yes I already have it...

This exactly. I love summer no matter the weather we get.

Weather doesn't bother me much in Ireland, apart from summer, because I'm always so disappointed.
    Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons, I never have much expectations but we always seem to get nice spells of calm weather that make it lovely to be outside in. I'm getting anxiety now thinking of a typical July weather report for Dublin where it's 26c in Cardiff and sunny and raining in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather doesn't bother me much in Ireland, apart from summer, because I'm always so disappointed.
    Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons, I never have much expectations but we always seem to get nice spells of calm weather that make it lovely to be outside in. I'm getting anxiety now thinking of a typical July weather report for Dublin where it's 26c in Cardiff and sunny and raining in Dublin.

Or the even better one where Liverpool has sunny and 30c with big thunderstorms and Dublin has 18c with drizzle.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »

A day like yesterday was the absolute sweet spot for coarse fishing.
    12C, cloudy with light warm rain, no wind. Tight lines all day long!

Heavy rain since last night. There are floods in the fields now. Imagine if this was snow. Maybe some day before March we''ll have two days of heavy snow instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy rain since last night. There are floods in the fields now. Imagine if this was snow. Maybe some day before March we''ll have two days of heavy snow instead.

Think you might up in Mayo. Looks like there is going to a north/south divide going by the models for cold/milder weather.

Think you might up in Mayo. Looks like there is going to a north/south divide going by the models for cold/milder weather.

Yes. it's just going to be cold rain here, then some mixed wintry precipitation after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That last line of MT's forecast just gives us snow lovers something to hold on to until we give in to the arrival of spring, and slightly warmer rain.

From MT's forecast - - -"February may see an interval of colder weather developing after this variable period ends."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another dull and wet day, and it's quite windy as well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pad199207 wrote: »
    Or the even better one where Liverpool has sunny and 30c with big thunderstorms and Dublin has 18c with drizzle.

The above summed up the summer over the BI - personally I find wall to wall cloud on long summer days a bit grim:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the wintry risk for this weekend is lower now than what the GFS was showing yesterday, had a feeling this would happen. Looks very hit and miss and mostly confined to the west and north with many eastern and southern areas staying mostly dry. After this deluge a few relatively dry days is well needed.

This wouldn't be good either
    Loads of Northeasters's pumping cold into the Atlantic from labrador means storms wind and rain Ireland bound

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1351525596791242755?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

All if’s and but’s Aunty. Nobody knows what’s in store for February

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

esposito wrote: »
    All if’s and but’s Aunty. Nobody knows what’s in store for February

I do!!

Wind and Rain

/February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Loughc wrote: »
    I do!!

Wind and Rain

/February

Haha. The easy answer! In 4-5 weeks time I will either being saying “Kudos on that prediction” or “you got that prediction very wrong” I’m obviously hoping for the latter..

I just want to do some bloody gardening and cut the grass :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just want to do some bloody gardening and cut the grass :(

I can't see that happening till at least March. It's going to take weeks of dry weather to dry out our swamp like garden, the ground here has never really gotten a chance to dry out since June.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

pad199207 wrote: »

Think Dublin is bad during the summer? Try spending the summer in galway / limerick / Cork, the weather there makes Dublin look like Barcelona

• Advertisement

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Think Dublin is bad during the summer? Try spending the summer in galway / limerick / Cork, the weather there makes Dublin look like Barcelona

Summer 2020 may have been an exception to the above. Summer 2020 was in a league of it's own for Dublin and surrounding areas, but yeah normally Dublin and the east get's a slightly warmer and dryer summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Gonzo wrote: »
    Summer 2020 may have been an exception to the above. Summer 2020 was in a league of it's own for Dublin and surrounding areas, but yeah normally Dublin and the east get's a slightly warmer and dryer summer.

Fair enough, correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt western areas get near enough double the annual rainfall compared to eastern areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Very dull away from the immediate coast in West/NW in comparison

Ah here it's not that bad in Cork! Maybe you could be a bit more specific about which part of Cork. We're a big county you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My sister lives in Collooney (of Mackree Castle fame) in Sligo, I can only remember one visit where during the whole day it didn't lash out of the heavens at least once. On one occasion it was 16C with intermittent showers, my sister thought it was amazing weather, back home in Dublin my PWS was recording 25C, i said nothing :)
    Planning retirement in the south east somewhere around Wexford/Wicklow for obvious reasons!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Very dull away from the immediate coast in West/NW in comparison

540016.jpg

Summer 2014 was nearly as good as Summer 2013 where I am in Bray and this Sat image and your image shows why. Day after day in Summer 2014 the morning would start clear over nearly the whole country but by mid day all but the eastern and southern coastal strips would cloud over with convective cloud while the onshore breezes or maritime Irish/Celtic Sea air or whatever would prevent convective cloud formation. Half the population living in 90% of the country probably thought 2014 was a boring grey Summer not a patch on the year before whereas the other half the population living in that coastal strip down the East Coast felt Summer 2014 was nearly as good as the year before.

U2idXum.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I think this spring and early summer was fantastic. As a family we hiked and explored our local area constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

When combined with the bigger picture in the country at the moment this is fast becoming one of the most miserable months in memory for me, just constant rain and grey skies day after day. Hasn't let up for even a minute today :rolleyes:

Calibos wrote: »
    Summer 2014 was nearly as good as Summer 2013 where I am in Bray and this Sat image and your image shows why. Day after day in Summer 2014 the morning would start clear over nearly the whole country but by mid day all but the eastern and southern coastal strips would cloud over with convective cloud while the onshore breezes or maritime Irish/Celtic Sea air or whatever would prevent convective cloud formation. Half the population living in 90% of the country probably thought 2014 was a boring grey Summer not a patch on the year before whereas the other half the population living in that coastal strip down the East Coast felt Summer 2014 was nearly as good as the year before.

Another example of that pesky convective cloud back in Summer 2014:

SglzFRm.gif

giphy.gif

New Moon

Gonzo wrote: »
    In summer, there is relatively little difference between average rainfall amounts across the country believe it or not. Most certainly not a marked as it would be in Autumn and Winter for sure.

New Moon

I see the Met Eireann monthly has been updated, it mentions the possibility of an easterly influence in February, then northerly by mid February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rain wasn’t too bad when I set off on my walk about an hour ago - about half way through the heavens opened :-( I returned drenched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Colder air getting into the north and west, 10pm:

Knock 4 degrees
    Finner 4 degrees
    Malin head 4 degrees

Milder further east and south:

Phoenix park 11 degrees
    Dublin airport 11 degrees
    Sherkin 11 degrees

Assuming Thursday and Friday is the next snow risk for Ulster? More widespread too as in lower elevation?

I have snow in my Met office forecast for Friday evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement