Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

This tbh.

I was the exact same on my CBF600 but that was mainly due to riding a Tracer 900 which had me sold on a larger bike.

If you got the funds move up now.

I'm moving down in bike size xD
    800cc to a 650cc, mainly as the DR is lighter and i won't mind dropping it on the trails compared to the BMW.

had to physically lift the back of the DR650 earlier to turn it in the hallway to work on today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

goblin59 wrote: »
    I'm moving down in bike size xD
    800cc to a 650cc, mainly as the DR is lighter and i won't mind dropping it on the trails compared to the BMW.

had to physically lift the back of the DR650 earlier to turn it in the hallway to work on today

Right so I'm going to have to ask. Hallway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This is probably a fairly stupid question but;

When do people think is the 'right' time to move up to a bigger bike?

I've been on an xj6 for a year and a half and I'm a bit bored with it.

I in no way think I've outgrown it and probably never will but I'm itching for something different at the same time.

I suppose I should just tool around on the xj6 for another year or so.

1.5 years on a bike is basically one good season the way I would look at it, unless you've ridden 4 seasons and have 15k+ kms under your belt I'd say you haven't really used it or gained a lot of mileage to warrant considering a litre bike. Your reason for changing isn't too specific bar being bored which I can understand, but I know for me, I got bored of my bikes mid season when I was able to push it to what I felt was close enough to the limit to justify an upgrade. I never got bored of a bike in January.

This tbh.

I was the exact same on my CBF600 but that was mainly due to riding a Tracer 900 which had me sold on a larger bike.

If you got the funds move up now.

Ah there's a bit of a gap there, I've ridden the cbf600 and it's a great bike that I'd recommend to anyone but I went from the cbf1000 to the tracer 900 which is really an 850 and I'd still consider it an upgrade. I'd recommend either cbf to someone as a first or second bike but the 900 is an animal (which I love) but with its horrible throttle response its not for a greenhorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Any recommendations for where to buy motorbike gear now that sportsbikeshop is now ++VAT ?
    I stupidly didn't order before Xmas

Friend emailed them a few days ago and got the below.

"The honest truth is we are currently in a position where we find ourselves awaiting clarification on how we move forward. Hopefully we will be in receipt of the information within the next week or so."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

zubair wrote: »
    1.5 years on a bike is basically one good season the way I would look at it, unless you've ridden 4 seasons and have 15k+ kms under your belt I'd say you haven't really used it or gained a lot of mileage to warrant considering a litre bike.

I've riden 4 seasons and racked up 15000km in the first year basically. Part of me thinks half the reason I haven't murdered myself is it's 'reasonable' power output.

And its still good craic when you rev the snot out of it.

I suppose I'm trying to justify it to myself by saying I wouldn't have to ride a bigger bike so 'hard' when going for leisure spins.

These are relative terms, I'm very aware I'm useless and probably barely riding the thing.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Right so I'm going to have to ask. Hallway?

Myself and Dad are working on two DR650se bikes in the hallway of my parents house!

No one uses the front door anyway here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Ah there's a bit of a gap there, I've ridden the cbf600 and it's a great bike that I'd recommend to anyone but I went from the cbf1000 to the tracer 900 which is really an 850 and I'd still consider it an upgrade. I'd recommend either cbf to someone as a first or second bike but the 900 is an animal (which I love) but with its horrible throttle response its not for a greenhorn.
    I wonder if the 2018 version has improved throttle mapping it felt really smooth. What a cracking bike tbh and I'm thinking about picking up the GT model down the line.

I'd only been riding the CBF about 7 months at that stage but already had over 9K miles on it in that space of time.

I also recall posting the pic of me on it on boards and you telling me to treat myself :o

I've riden 4 seasons and racked up 15000km in the first year basically. Part of me thinks half the reason I haven't murdered myself is it's 'reasonable' power output.

Ah sorry, I thought you meant 1.5 years total and you probably know yourself, 1.5 years to a lot of riders means every other Sunday in June and July. Go for it so.
    I wonder if the 2018 version has improved throttle mapping it felt really smooth. What a cracking bike tbh and I'm thinking about picking up the GT model down the line.

I'd only been riding the CBF about 7 months at that stage but already had over 9K miles on it in that space of time.

I also recall posting the pic of me on it on boards and you telling me to treat myself :o

Well if I said that you should definitely get the GT now! Ah I love mine, I don't see myself changing it for a long time, bar, maybe like yourself, getting a newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My first year of insurance is up at the end of Feb, I'm with Principal now and they won't give me a renewal quote until the start of Feb so out of curiosity I rang Carole Nash and was quoted €460 fully comp (340ish TPFT) on the CBR600F3.

Last year I paid 780 TPFT, (fully comp was near twice that) on the CBR250 and when I changed it to the 600 they refunded me 60quid.

1 year NCB
    1st learner permit.

Hopefully I get an actual test soon enough to get it down a bit further but still happy enough with that.

Liberty refusing to quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

If this isn’t the right thread please first me, cheers.
    Hi All I’ve been away for ages, learning as I’m riding. I’m riding a Suzuki GZ125, I’m having issues with the bike dying when I’m downshifting after say 30/40 minutes out riding. Has anyone come across this before? I’ve watched this YouTube video https://youtu.be/oh7H7xfRMFA and I’ll try but does anyone have experience like my own? Cheers ✊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wonder how many on here have a Tracer 900?, I've been idly perusing TDM 900 adverts for the last while but the 900 GT has really piqued my interest.
    Tidy looking bike and it really ticks all the boxes.
    I must do some more research into the different model changes so far, the 21 version has semi active suspension and I am not sure I need to go down that rabbit hole.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wonder how many on here have a Tracer 900?, I've been idly perusing TDM 900 adverts for the last while but the 900 GT has really piqued my interest.
    I must do some more research into the different model changes so far, the 21 version has semi active suspension and I am not sure I need to go down that rabbit hole.

The 21 model won't be around until March but its a lovely looking machine with a new motor. Personally, I'd take a triple over a twin any day and the tdm is a bit old now so for me budget would be the deciding factor if it was just between these 2.

Dad had a few TDM 850s, he took his over Europe and South America
    HE said they're based on the super Tenere.
    Trying to persuade him to sell them though since he got a R1200gs and the DR650, he probably won't use the TDM again with those bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

CJhaughey wrote: »

The tdm 900 is such an underrated bike,(as all the tdm's are) it would very happily bring you around the world, I've had quite a few bikes but the tdm 850 is one I'll never let go it's the one I use the most I just prefer the twin engine, I had a look at the early tracer but tbh I thought the build quality wasn't quite right but I do plan on having a look at the new tracer gt, that looks good.

mamax wrote: »
    The tdm 900 is such an underrated bike,(as all the tdm's are) it would very happily bring you around the world, I've had quite a few bikes but the tdm 850 is one I'll never let go it's the one I use the most I just prefer the twin engine, I had a look at the early tracer but tbh I thought the build quality wasn't quite right but I do plan on having a look at the new tracer gt, that looks good.

I can ease any concerns you have about build quality. My bikes original owner commuted year round in the UK on it, the second owner who I bought it from did a load of touring on it 2 up, the bikes been to both morrocoo and Denmark (shipped 1 way for the trips), they toured Ireland and UK too. I've ridden it year round with 2 winters and have a pretty poor cleaning regime. Only the consumables have had to be replaced and corrosion is minimal at best.

I've heard people question the build quality before but I don't know if reviewers are trying to find something wrong with it because they can't find anything else. (it's no secret the fuelling is poor on the early models). Yamis are known for good quality bikes as you've experienced. Yes it's a budget bike compared to the market but it's not a cheap build.

We're running a free to enter competition over on our Facebook page - win an Optimate Battery Monitor. Fit to your bike and keep an eye on battery and charging system condition.

Full review on our YouTube Channel

https://www.facebook.com/bigbikemadtube/posts/221701462935965

Dave
    BigBikeMad

Winner winner, chicken dinner! Thanks dave!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Winner winner, chicken dinner! Thanks dave!
    Did you win you jammy sod ? :-)

Did you win you jammy sod ? :-)

Haha, I did. I'd recommend following them as the competitions don't have stupid amounts of entries and the reviews they do are good. I hope they continue as there's no decent Irish sites or vloggers doing this type of thing.

Haha, I did. I'd recommend following them as the competitions don't have stupid amounts of entries and the reviews they do are good. I hope they continue as there's no decent Irish sites or vloggers doing this type of thing.
    Congratulations on your win :-) well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Quick question, but where could I get a slow puncture repaired? Any of the car garages or puncture places I phoned don't have the equipment for my mopeds wheels.
    Based in Swords, Co. Dublin.
    Thanks for any advice. Seems to be more difficult than anticipated!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Quick question, but where could I get a slow puncture repaired? Any of the car garages or puncture places I phoned don't have the equipment for my mopeds wheels.

Rpm in Drogheda might be your handiest garage...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

Or cotters in ballymount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Franklins in Swords would be the closest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »
    Recently sold my FZ1. Have a pack of FA380HH sintered brake pads here. Free to whoever wants?

According to Ebay they go into FZ1, R6, R1, MT-10 among others.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=fa380hh&_sacat=0

Someone has availed of these now.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

I can ease any concerns you have about build quality. My bikes original owner commuted year round in the UK on it, the second owner who I bought it from did a load of touring on it 2 up, the bikes been to both morrocoo and Denmark (shipped 1 way for the trips), they toured Ireland and UK too. I've ridden it year round with 2 winters and have a pretty poor cleaning regime. Only the consumables have had to be replaced and corrosion is minimal at best.

I've heard people question the build quality before but I don't know if reviewers are trying to find something wrong with it because they can't find anything else. (it's no secret the fuelling is poor on the early models). Yamis are known for good quality bikes as you've experienced. Yes it's a budget bike compared to the market but it's not a cheap build.

Thanks, it's good to get a proper opinion and it's def building a following just like the TDM's have so will be interesting to keep an eye on the next few models :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sportsbikeshop.co.uk seem to have restarted shipping to Ireland again, and their prices now exclude VAT. You'll get hit with Irish VAT by customs and since it's DPD they charge a fee too.

Import duties might also be applicable, even with Brexit deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's a bit of a con though. Switch your SBS account between ROI and UK and the only thing that changes is the presence/absence of the little words "ex-tax", the prices stay the same :rolleyes:

Don't imagine it would be worth the trouble now with all the charges :-(
    Its a pity because it was handy and I had bought a good few bits over the last 6 months that I have the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't imagine it would be worth the trouble now with all the charges :-(
    Its a pity because it was handy and I had bought a good few bits over the last 6 months that I have the bike

Louis.ie and polomotorrad.de are both decent German shops and Louis postage is only 7.95 to Ireland.

Advertisement