Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Masters 10/01/21 -17/01/21

Options
  • 08-01-2021 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly behind closed doors in Milton Keynes, rather than the raucous atmosphere of London. Coverage all week on BBC and Eurosport starting on Sunday.

Prize fund & Draw.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Masters_(snooker)

Non-ranking but with €250K for the winner it's one of the biggest events of the season. And it's your ranking that gets you in anyway.

Stuart Bingham defends having defeated Ally Carter in last years final, a game I can recall not one single shot of.

Gamblage.
    https://www.oddschecker.com/snooker/the-masters/the-masters-2021/winner
    5/2 Trump.
    5/1 Robertson, Ronnie.
    6/1 Selby.
    14/1 Wilson.
    22/1 bar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Trump and Lisowski out, both Covid positive.

Replaced by Joe Perry and Gary Wilson.

https://wst.tv/trump-and-lisowski-test-positive-for-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Really $h1t€ that Trump and Lisowski are out, especially so Trump. It's a short enough format and losing the best player before it even starts, really diminishes the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

It’s a shame, but, Best of 11 matches, 16 top players, I plan on thoroughly enjoying what should be a week’s good snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Glad Joe Perry got in. Always liked him. I was so sick of snooker by the end of the Scottish and now I can't wait for it to come back. I see Hendry has finally committed to play in the Pro Series next week. Be interesting to see if he gets obliterated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Surprised gary wilson got in as he's been pretty putrid for a good while now, not won a single match outside championship league since mid october. Still, the rankings don't lie, i guess, and might well go and do a "denmark" on it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

JV back in the commentary box, maybe Hazel will also be back and Betfred have stepped in as sponsor. They didn't have a sponsor a week ago but the prize fund was set up at the usual level.

Gary Wilson trading off that 2019 World semi for his ranking here.

Shot of the championship contender already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Shot of the championship contender already

Agreed, top drawer stuff

Gary Wilson trading off that 2019 World semi for his ranking here.

Yeah, goes to show how one great result can carry you over a couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

4-2, That missed pink by Gary is probably the most significant shot of the match thus far. Match was getting nice and tense, heading for 3-3.

On TV?

When he stuck the pink up in that sixth frame, you could see Gary's head drop. You don't retain deep reserves of confidence i think when you're not winning matches.

Tonight's fare is interesting because it features another player who has been on a terrible run of late and dave gilbert will be desperate to start putting some form together for rest of season. Joe Perry has been playing ok of late. Think this all rests on gilbert and how much confidence he can muster.

On TV?

On bbc and eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Don't think Gary played that badly, just made a couple of mistakes here and there which got punished. Although Kyren was clearly the better player on the day.

Good to see John Virgo back too.

The Verve - Lucky Man, appropriate choice of entry music by Joe Perry. Likeable man Gentleman Joe, I’d like to see him do well.

Easy win for Gilbert. You could easily tell that Joe was out of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

1st time the event hasn't been held in London

Bit bizarre the bbc coverage doesn't start till 3. Cant see any obvious reason. Anyway thank flip for eurosport.

Edit: apparently due to educational commitments the bbc has during the pandemic, or that's the official explanation anyway. Though it's not even behind the red button far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Bit bizarre the bbc coverage doesn't start till 3. Cant see any obvious reason. Anyway thank flip for eurosport.

Edit: apparently due to educational commitments the bbc has during the pandemic, or that's the official explanation anyway. Though it's not even behind the red button far as i can see.

BBC coverage is only available online, but even there they've been having technical difficulties with no sound, commentary or even picture at times. Eurosport have taken advantage and improved their coverage for those use the app or watching online by having studio chat between frames.

• Advertisement

That's just too good from Bingham. Really good smart frame to win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Comeback is on!

Thought that 6th frame might kill him but this has been a great response from theppy. Always looks so dangerous when he gets on a roll.

Was a decent match. Both played good stuff, just a bit too little too late as far as thepchaiya was concerned. Likeable player though.

Was a decent match. Both played good stuff, just a bit too little too late as far as thepchaiya was concerned. Likeable player though.

Yeah, I usually want him to win when I watch him. He needs to get a lot smarter about his shot choices though.

You were saying 😊

Some comeback in progress here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Genghis wrote: »
    You were saying ��

thats not live though

Genghis wrote: »
    You were saying 😊

I see it's not actually showing as live on BBC!

Rothko wrote: »
    Yeah, I usually want him to win when I watch him. He needs to get a lot smarter about his shot choices though.

Very pertinent question with most of these aggressive attacking players i find. Lisowski, brecel, zhao xintong etc. You could say the same about all of them i think. Finding that right balance between all out attack and staying patient is the key, as trump has shown over the past 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Two fantastic breaks in the first two frames of this match. It’s set up for a high quality match

Advertisement