Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

CatInABox wrote: »
    Called it.

Destiny 2 Google Stadia players can only play with other Stadia players at launch

I know that it says there's no restriction on them actually doing it eventually, but I doubt that they will, or it'll be an option with an disclaimer that you'll probably lose to someone on dedicated hardware.

Like that's something to brag about. The whole lag input issue is a big turn off... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't think they're avoiding it for competitive matching & fairness reasons. It's much more likely an issue with Google like there was/is with Sony about crossplay and the fact that it's not a windows version. Nothing they can't overcome though, Borderlands had OSX, Windows & Linux crossplay for years until they borked it with the windows graphics update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think the game sales model will fall to pieces on them.

Their best bet will be a Netflix style subscription minus the game sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I think the game sales model will fall to pieces on them.

Their best bet will be a Netflix style subscription minus the game sales.

As big as Google is, I cannot see them agreeing to pay millions to each developer to allow their users access to game x or game y.

Doing so almost put Netflix out of business before they decided to stop paying for third party film, tv etc and focus on making their own content. Something Google are not going to do on a large scale.

I agree with you though, I cannot see their model working.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think they're avoiding it for competitive matching & fairness reasons. It's much more likely an issue with Google like there was/is with Sony about crossplay and the fact that it's not a windows version. Nothing they can't overcome though, Borderlands had OSX, Windows & Linux crossplay for years until they borked it with the windows graphics update.

There will be technical reasons too.

Anyone rendering locally will always have an advantage over someone rendering remotely when it comes to multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I’ve done a full 180 on this and cancelled my pre-order. Still intrigued by the tech but with Microsoft looking to at least match it and Google’s eagerness to drop technology at the drop of a hat, I don’t really have any faith that they won’t do the same here.

I got a Daydream VR headset last year – a nice piece of kit with a great handheld remote that worked really well with my Samsung S8. Then last week I upgraded my phone to the latest S10 model and suddenly it doesn’t work with the Daydream because Google have abandoned the project. It’s a technically superior phone, it can do the job and indeed when I put it in the VR headset, I can see the software appearing on screen and working but because Google don’t ‘support’ the new phone, I get a pop-up that covers the screen telling me it’s not compatible.

It’s the same with the latest Google Pixel 3A and 3A XL phones too. They just cut and run from projects like this at the drop of a hat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, you can't trust them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I'm curious about Stadia.

To be honest, the Destiny 2 details have me interested, from the cross save perspective. I figure that will be a good place for me to dip my toe.

I do have concerns on (1) Bandwidth, (2) Latency - but i'm considering the founder thing. Just to see what it is like, to be honest.

Yea, I think it looks good. €180 at launch is a good price for me to upgrade from my PS3. A PS4 or XBOX is going to cost double this price.

Does anyone know how to purchase the founder edition though?
    Just because the midnight blue controller looks cool,
    the wasabi and white ones look w**k...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Yea, I think it looks good. €180 at launch is a good price for me to upgrade from my PS3. A PS4 or XBOX is going to cost double this price.

You should be able to pre-order here:
    https://store.google.com/product/stadia

Though it looks like the Founders Edition is gone.

I cancelled mine a few weeks ago, decided it was not worth it, the buying games and paying a subscription was a step too far, I'll just buy them for my PS4 (or Switch).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

They're starting with the nonsense/straight out lies marketing speak now:

https://www.pcgamer.com/grid-for-stadia-has-a-40-car-mode-that-isnt-possible-with-other-hardware/

The whole premises make no sense - games run locally, they'll need to exchange just a stream of data about positioning of the cars etc. through the network. No modern PC/Console will have trouble interpreting and rendering such data.

The bottleneck is bandwidth...and Stadia uses it to stream video and audio as well.

Yet, it looks like they do have an audience - the comments section of that article is filled with people who clearly don't know how games work, going on about "yeah, your computer can't possibly render 40 cars!"

Also...40 cars pileups at the first corner. No thanks, it's ridiculous enough with 20 already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I just realised that the launch date for this is next tuesday!

I've a feeling this thing is dead before it ever gets going, the launch lineup is like a greatest hits of the year gone by, and there seems like they've generated little to no buzz or hype about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yes, founders edition are due to start dropping in peoples houses from Nov 19th.

I have a founders edition on pre-order myself.
    You can check your order in the google store for expected delivery.
    Mine says expected delivery between Nov 27th-28th.
    I'm obviously not part of the first batch, only ordered it Aug 21st.

And really, I just know that my money gets me a controller, Chromecast Ultra and 3 months Stadia Pro.

For me, I didn't really plan on buying games, was going to see how the subscription service fleshes out over the next few months.

But I might buy RDR2 for Stadia over PC if it runs better and if you get a discount for Stadia Pro! I'll see. I did want it to be more of Netflix service than purchase individual items and hopefully the Pro service ends up that way, but nothing is sure yet less than 6 days from "launch" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm concerned about the pricing of games. I have a founders on pre-order. But looking at the games I either have them or have zero interest in them. The only maybe game is something like RAGE 2. Which you can pick up routinely for around €20 now. Is it going to be priced at that price point or will it be an early adoptors bargain of €69.99

I'm concerned about the pricing of games. I have a founders on pre-order. But looking at the games I either have them or have zero interest in them. The only maybe game is something like RAGE 2. Which you can pick up routinely for around €20 now. Is it going to be priced at that price point or will it be an early adoptors bargain of €69.99

Yeah, there won't be any parity with existing platforms, just because a game might be 6 or 12 months old on those platforms already.

It'll be this is a new game on our new platform and it'll be sold at a new price.
    Same as when a lot of old stuff came to switch at the start.

That's just my opinion of course and I'll be seriously shocked if they do launch with cheaper than "New" pricing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can get a diskless Xbox One S for £180 at the minute.

https://www.monster-shop.co.uk/product/xbox-one-s-1tb/

I'd imagine it'll be £150ish in various places on black Friday. Get Game Pass and your sorted.

Still undecided about whether to cancel my Founder's Edition pre-order. Already have two Xboxes and a PS4, and a list of games I've been meaning to get around to. I just don't know which games I'll actually play on Stadia.

My Mrs is also going to kill me if she sees it, so there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Basil3 wrote: »
    Still undecided about whether to cancel my Founder's Edition pre-order. Already have two Xboxes and a PS4, and a list of games I've been meaning to get around to. I just don't know which games I'll actually play on Stadia.

My Mrs is also going to kill me if she sees it, so there's that.

looking at the stadia launch lineup, theres feck all in it that isnt already on console at a significantly cheaper price.
    EJG3PX6UwAAQALS-26ff.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C566&ssl=1
    indeed, with black friday sales around the corner, they're likely to get further cuts.

There's a few good answers coming out of the AMA that started at 6pm!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/dvv3tv/hi_reddit_andrey_from_the_stadia_team_here_and_im/?st=k2xkbwne&sh=6a774acd

For instance, as soon as they ship your physical stuff, you'll get the invite via email.
    You can use then iOS or Android app to sign up and get your username straight away.
    From there, you can play away on your PC or chromebook while waiting on the controller to arrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

My order is due to arrive on 22 - 25 November. Im looking forward to it. The launch lineup is light but if the tech works I can see me knocking great use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

looking at the stadia launch lineup, theres feck all in it that isnt already on console at a significantly cheaper price.
    EJG3PX6UwAAQALS-26ff.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C566&ssl=1
    indeed, with black friday sales around the corner, they're likely to get further cuts.

A good line up if it was 2018. Surprised DOOM 2016 isn't on it even though Ethernal was delayed.
    Hopefully Gylt appears on other systems eventually as it looked interesting when it was revealed.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Hopefully Gylt appears on other systems eventually as it looked interesting when it was revealed.

It looks alright to me, reminds me Edith Finch in ways!
    Here's the launch trailer :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really don't like the idea of this. Aside from the limitation of current internet speeds and reliability, I prefer to have my games on my end. I understand that I don't own them but I shouldn't have to be online to enjoy single player games.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Really interested to see how this pans out. I think this business model is inevitable for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The AMA shows that the Epic Store is feature rich compared to this :confused:

You might not get your ultra and gamepad on the same day :confused:

Just cancelled my preorder there. With the money saved I'm buying RDR2 ultimate edition and Far Cry 5 gold edition and still have €60 left over.

I like the idea of Stadia, but the reality is most of my gaming is online with friends, and I'm gonna be all there on my own on Stadia. I hope it's a success, though.

I've often referred to the Nov launch as the soft launch and the real launch is in Feb when the basic service goes active for free.
    At that time, there's no barrier to entry. You don't have to pay €129 to buy in. You can use any device and any wireless controller to get going.
    It's really hard to justify the buy in for next weeks launch, when next years launch won't cos anything (unless you want to buy a standalone Stadia controller).
    It's a beta, in all but name :)

Plus I already have a 4k Android TV with built in Chromecast.
    Google have stated that they plan to support that setup in the future.
    What happens to the Chromecast Ultra at that point, when I no longer need it for Stadia?
    It's fúcking useless then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Google may be a juggernaut but the fact is most of their products fail. Catalogs, wave, google plus, answers, notebook, google video (not youtube, they bought that) etc. Their only good product that they're not famous for was reader and they killed that themselves. Stadia could be a relative success or be a niche service that some enjoy but gets dropped if it's not up to their email, data storage or search engine levels of adoption.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I've often referred to the Nov launch as the soft launch and the real launch is in Feb when the basic service goes active for free.
    At that time, there's no barrier to entry. You don't have to pay €129 to buy in. You can use any device and any wireless controller to get going.
    It's really hard to justify the buy in for next weeks launch, when next years launch won't cos anything (unless you want to buy a standalone Stadia controller).
    It's a beta, in all but name :)

Plus I already have a 4k Android TV with built in Chromecast.
    Google have stated that they plan to support that setup in the future.
    What happens to the Chromecast Ultra at that point, when I no longer need it for Stadia?
    It's fúcking useless then! :D

It's as if you are paying for the pleasure of being a beta tester

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Microsoft's Xcloud coming to Game Pass Ultimate with all new games launching on it really leave Stadia with a mountain to climb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just saw RAGE 2 got added to Xbox Game Pass, so the only game I had half an interest in is now free on my xbox.

Advertisement