Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - Lassykk - The Reveal

Options
  • 17-05-2020 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, this will be my reveal thread which I hoping to run over the next couple of weeks.

I have 15 entries and only one duplicate which is great and I'm looking forward to listening to the 74 songs.

The One Hit Wonder category will be first up and has thrown up some of my favourite songs so it's going to be hard to choose between them. It's also thrown up five songs I've never heard of so I'm hoping they are going to find their way to the top of the list, or at least on to my regular playlist!

Will confirm when the first round reveal will as soon as I can - hopefully Wednesday or Thursday morning (sorry mornings are the only time I can run the reveals).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Well I have listened to all 15 One Hit Wonders and my initial gut top 3 has changed dramatically.

A song I'd never heard of rocketed it's way into the Top 3 and a song I didn't know the title or artist name has made the provisionally Top 5.

Listen 2 will be in the morning all going well. I've set up a YouTube playlist now so I can listen through without searching in between or going back to my master list for the link.

My top pick has remained unchanged from when I saw the list first but this was never in doubt unless something absolutely blew me away!

Well I have my final ranking for the OHW category now and will run the reveal for this round tomorrow morning all going well. I'm not sure yet what time it will be but I will confirm before the end of the day.

All songs have been listened to three times minimum, so they all got a fair shake.

The new songs on me that I liked probably got listened to five or more times just to be sure!

Aiming for probably 10.30 tomorrow morning but subject to change!

See ye then :)

Hello and welcome to the results of the first round of my Walrus – One Hit Wonders. I fear the day might get away from me so I'm just putting up the first few songs now so get the ball rolling and will be back hopefully at 10.30 to do the rest

There have been many one hit wonders through the years that I’ve been a big fan, some of which have been picked and some of which have not. Some of those deserving of an honourable mention are:

One of my all-time favourite tracks

Another cracking one hit wonder

I’ve decided to reveal these starting in the middle at 8th then going 7th & 9th, 6th & 10th and so on. That leaves some suspense right at the end as to whether you are coming top or bottom ;)
    I’ll be rattling through the reveal pretty quickly in case I get dragged away for something else

First up in 8th place it’s
    fixXxer
    with Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You

Brilliant tune - I didn't know the name of this song or the name of the artist but knew the song and as soon as I heard the opening few seconds of music I knew I was on to a winner. I initially wondered when I saw the list was Three Days Grace - I hate everything about you perhaps a cover of this but, no, this was a completely different song. Was higher up the list initially but gradually fell back to the middle spot

• Advertisement

Next up we have 7th place and it’s
    Andy125
    with 4 Non Blondes - What's Up

This is another song that gets a lot of airtime on my regular rotation on Spotify and I've always been a fan. Only ends up scraping into the top half though and I have to say I found ranking these songs very hard!

In 9th place it’s
    Necro
    with Fountains of Wayne - Stacey's Mom

A song that reminds me of my teenage years and like almost every track nominated for the OHW category I do like this track but it kept getting further pushed down as I listened to other songs on the list

In 6th place it’s
    cj maxx
    with Natalie Imbruglia - Torn

When this was released it was before I'd discovered decent music as I was stuck listening to terrible music on the radio (I was 12 and my mother only listened to Irish country music!) and I thought it was brilliant to hear such a quality track on the radio. Was shocked she never followed it up with more hits given how good this track is

In 10th place it’s
    greenspurs
    with Blind Melon – No Rain

Got introduced to this song from an unbelievable album I downloaded once called Top 100 rocks songs of the 90s. I didn't know what to make of this song at the outset but it grew and grew on me but sadly there's too many other quality tracks ahead of it so 10th place is as high as I can go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I only thought of Teenage Dirtbag after submitting my songs to you. I'll be gutted if it was picked by someone else and does better than the song I went with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Genuinely stunned fixxxer didn't pick Smash Mouth!!!

I only thought of Teenage Dirtbag after submitting my songs to you. I'll be gutted if it was picked by someone else and does better than the song I went with.

Nope, wasn't picked by anyone or Smash Mouth. I thought Teenage Dirtbag would have been multi-nominated to be honest!

I love every one of those songs so far. One hit wonders are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Gutted with Blind Melon only barely scraping in at 10 !!!

Poor "Bee Girl" …. she deserved better :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »

I was gonna nominate it. So now it’s a contest between me and you :D

greenspurs wrote: »

Loved the video - Had never seen it before!

There were so many quality songs nominated I felt bad putting songs I like in the bottom half!

I'll get another 6 done at 10.30 I'd say and do the most important top 2 and bottom 2 as soon as possible after that

In 5th place it’s
    Tusk
    with Seether Ft Amy Lee - Broken

A combination of Evanescene and Seether was always going to go well for me. I think they voices compliment each other really well and make this a cracking track. I'm possibly being generous allowing as a OHW but I'm not going to go checking all the bands to see what else they've released ;)

In 11th place it’s
    Purple Tin
    with Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild

I have heard this many times over the years and when I saw the selection I thought I wasn't going to like it but I really enjoyed it and ranked it a lot higher than I thought I would. A solid pick. Wouldn't have been able to name the band in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Necro wrote: »
    Genuinely stunned fixxxer didn't pick Smash Mouth!!!

I don't consider it a one hit wonder, they did Walkin' on the Sun too :)

• Advertisement

In 4th place it’s
    Rothko
    with The La's - There She Goes

I actually got to know this song when Sixpence None The Richer released the cover from Dawson's Creek (I am aware that's not my proudest statement) but I absoltuley love this track and reminds me of my teenage years listening to it my clapped out Renault Clio on the way to Tramore to hit up the arcades and get some chips in Cunninghams afterwards (anyone from Waterford will know what I'm talking about ;) )

In 12th place it’s
    Strawberry Milkshake
    with The Korgis - everybody’s gotta learn sometime

I vaguely knew the tune of the song but never heard of the band of the title of the track. Wouldn't necessarily be my normal genre and I found it hard to know where to place this in the Top 15 but it unfortunately ended up in the lower half of the pack. Doesn't really get going the way I like songs to. Was hoping for them to burst into something heavier or faster paced.

lassykk wrote: »
    In 5th place it’s
    Tusk
    with Seether Ft Amy Lee - Broken

I love that song, it just narrowly missed out a nomination from myself for Stawberry's Greatest Song Sung by Woman.

fixXxer wrote: »
    I don't consider it a one hit wonder, they did Walkin' on the Sun too :)

That's a fair point. Wheatus did a cover of A Little Respect by Erasure that did OK too. I probably would have allowed it as I'm generous like that ;)

I love that song, it just narrowly missed out a nomination from myself for Stawberry's Greatest Song Sung by Woman.

Cracking tune alright. Always liked Evanesence so when you add in the male vocals too I think it's a great combo.

Moving into the business end of proceedings now and the next 2 songs are:

The Shins - New Slang nominated by
    y0ssar1an22
    and
    Survivor - Eye of the Tiger nominated by
    Mustang Shelly

Which song will be the first on the podium

lassykk wrote: »
    Cracking tune alright. Always liked Evanesence so when you add in the male vocals too I think it's a great combo.

Evanescence released a cracking rendition of The Chain last November. I would love to go see their World's Collide tour with Within Temptation.

Evanescence released a cracking rendition of The Chain last November. I would love to go see their World's Collide tour with Within Temptation.

Yeah I heard it alright - it's a brilliant cover

In 3rd place it is
    y0ssar1an22
    with The Shins - New Slang

Another completely new song to me that I'd never heard before. Deligthed to find another new track of this quality in the one hit wonder category. Probably shouldn't have been completely new to me considering there's 15m views on the video.

• Advertisement

In 13th place it's
    mustang shelly
    with Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

I don't know what it is about this song but I've never been a fan. I know it's a seriously famous track but I think it reminds me of nightclubs in my teens when all I wanted was a bit of Rage Against The Machine to mosh to and this was played instead! The lyrics are actually good and the tune's not half bad but something about it doesn't work for me. Embarrassingly for me, I actually always thought the lead vocalist was female! I was listening to this on YouTube and flicked back to search for the next track and got quite a surprise!

Advertisement