Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

On Brendan O Connor just now a Donegal Chef gave instructions on how to cook the perfect steak .

I'll post it when it's up on Rte website.

The main points were to sear it on a dry pan and do not season it before searing. Season it after.

If you season before searing you will draw out the juices of the steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I got 2 large cowboys at the counter for €9.28 this morning...not sure what you bought for €16..

IMG-20210123-122039.jpg

They said pack of 2 rib eye steaks not cowboy

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Having tried the SuperValu/Lidl/Dunnes I have to say the dunnes 28 day aged Fillet is the best by far.
    SuperValus version is nice but it’s smaller for €2 less while the Lidl version doesn’t even come close.
    Also the Knor Hot pepper sauce is just awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's 18 months old.

Pure tenderness. Left hanging for 21 days.
    2nd year doing it. A few of us split the animal which cost 1400 including killing and butchering.

Also have 2 lambs and some self reared chicken

Id love to be able to buy beef that way. Of course you have to know a farmer and a butcher and have a decent sized chest freezer to store it all. But at the 6 euro a kilo you got it for its a great bargain. Im surprised some entrepreneur hasnt tapped into a market like that yet. People would happily drop several hundred euro if they were getting it for 6 quid a kilo.
    My Airfryer has a steak preset
    205C and 6min for rare
    205C and 8min for medium
    205C and 10min for Well done.

I've cooked Sirloin twice in it on the well done setting but got different results each time. First time was great but second time turned out tough.

I bought the Cowboy steaks so will let you know how they turned out later. I'm not sure if I'll try Rubadubs method above today . More than likely will just go with the AirFryer preset . If it turns out badly I'll know for the next time.

I don't trust my judgement when using the pan. Also our cooker has an induction hob which isn't ideal for cooking steaks as it can't generate enough heat quickly .

Induction should heat up faster than any other type of hob. Mine is smoking hot in about 3 minutes. At the 7 setting it is at 250c which I use for steaks. At the 10 setting it goes up to 330c which is perfect for Chinese cooking in a wok. You can get an infra red thermometer online for about 12-15 euro to check what temps correspond to the settings on your own hob.

re: timing on a pan, I use the stopwatch on my phone every single time as you have to be precise with steaks, there is only about 60 seconds between rare and medium rare. I like sirloin & striploin steaks rare so its two minutes then flip for another 2 and then rest it wrapped in tinfoil for at least 5 minutes, 7 or 8 is better. It works out well with the airfryer doing chips and those beer battered onion rings from Lidl for 12 minutes. With rib eyes I like them medium because I want the fat rendered so it needs just over 5 minutes total. If theres a slither of fat running down the outside of the steak I use tongs to render that on the hot pan for about 45 seconds until its crisp.

Would you believe I was in Supervalue yesterday and completely forgot to pick up some cowboy steaks. I'll be going back today and to Aldi as well as they have peppercorn sauce in two portion sachets for 89 cents. I never have brandy or cream in the house to make peppercorn sauce from scratch so its great to pick up a sachet of it when its steak night. Lidl do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They said pack of 2 rib eye steaks not cowboy

Cowboys are rib eyes with the bone in.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id love to be able to buy beef that way. Of course you have to know a farmer and a butcher and have a decent sized chest freezer to store it all. But at the 6 euro a kilo you got it for its a great bargain. Im surprised some entrepreneur hasnt tapped into a market like that yet. People would happily drop several hundred euro if they were getting it for 6 quid a kilo.

Induction should heat up faster than any other type of hob. Mine is smoking hot in about 3 minutes. At the 7 setting it is at 250c which I use for steaks. At the 10 setting it goes up to 330c which is perfect for Chinese cooking in a wok. You can get an infra red thermometer online for about 12-15 euro to check what temps correspond to the settings on your own hob.

re: timing on a pan, I use the stopwatch on my phone every single time as you have to be precise with steaks, there is only about 60 seconds between rare and medium rare. I like sirloin & striploin steaks rare so its two minutes then flip for another 2 and then rest it wrapped in tinfoil for at least 5 minutes, 7 or 8 is better. It works out well with the airfryer doing chips and those beer battered onion rings from Lidl for 12 minutes. With rib eyes I like them medium because I want the fat rendered so it needs just over 5 minutes total. If theres a slither of fat running down the outside of the steak I use tongs to render that on the hot pan for about 45 seconds until its crisp.

Would you believe I was in Supervalue yesterday and completely forgot to pick up some cowboy steaks. I'll be going back today and to Aldi as well as they have peppercorn sauce in two portion sachets for 89 cents. I never have brandy or cream in the house to make peppercorn sauce from scratch so its great to pick up a sachet of it when its steak night. Lidl do it too.

Apologies, the cooker is a ceramic hob. Im always confusing it with Induction.

Thanks for the tips. Doing a Chinese in a Wok properly is another thing I've yet to master .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My Airfryer has a steak preset
    205C and 6min for rare
    205C and 8min for medium
    205C and 10min for Well done.

I've cooked Sirloin twice in it on the well done setting but got different results each time. First time was great but second time turned out tough.

I bought the Cowboy steaks so will let you know how they turned out later. I'm not sure if I'll try Rubadubs method above today . More than likely will just go with the AirFryer preset . If it turns out badly I'll know for the next time.

I don't trust my judgement when using the pan. Also our cooker has an induction hob which isn't ideal for cooking steaks as it can't generate enough heat quickly .

Buy a meat thermometer. Problem solved.

You can't use a preset to cook steaks. They're not a uniform size/weight and the bone will obviously change things too.

Cowboys are rib eyes with the bone in.

But a pack of 2 rib eye will be a different price to the cowboys from the meat counter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

On Brendan O Connor just now a Donegal Chef gave instructions on how to cook the perfect steak .

The main points were to sear it on a dry pan and do not season it before searing. Season it after.

Every chef will have an opinion. Some will even tell you to season it for hours.

Salt and pepper as you are putting it on the pan is absolute fine.

But a meat thermometer. Problem solved.

You can't use a preset to cook steaks. They're not a uniform size/weight and the bone will obviously change things too.

I have one.

What temps should I use for well done?

• Advertisement

Apologies, the cooker is a ceramic hob. Im always confusing it with Induction.

Thanks for the tips. Doing a Chinese in a Wok properly is another thing I've yet to master .

ah right I get you now. I replaced my ceramic hob with induction during a kitchen renovation last year and they are worlds apart. The ceramic hob I inherited when I moved in was about 15 years old and next to useless. Modern ceramic ones are a bit better but induction is on another level for getting hot really quick. It can bring a half full saucepan of water to the boil in a little over 2 minutes. With the ceramic hob I had you could turn it on, go out and walk the dog and come back and it still wouldnt be hot enough :D

OmegaGene wrote: »
    But a pack of 2 rib eye will be a different price to the cowboys from the meat counter

Yea that's my point, go to the meat counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have one.

What temps should I use for well done?

A chart came with mine. It says 68° for well done.

Yea that's my point, go to the meat counter.

Yes I know but the original poster was talking about picking up a pack of 2 rib eye and quoting the €16 price

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

James Whelans did something similar ,you bought a "share" of a cow and once all shares are sold and the animal is matured,its killed and you get your share.

Don't think the prices were at the level of OP but iirc decent value .

ah right I get you now. I replaced my ceramic hob with induction during a kitchen renovation last year and they are worlds apart. The ceramic hob I inherited when I moved in was about 15 years old and next to useless. Modern ceramic ones are a bit better but induction is on another level for getting hot really quick. It can bring a half full saucepan of water to the boil in a little over 2 minutes. With the ceramic hob I had you could turn it on, go out and walk the dog and come back and it still wouldnt be hot enough :D

Do you mind if I ask what the Induction model is?

I've been thinking about getting a Mixed hob of Induction+Gas or even buying separate Hobs for each.

I've a simemes IQ flex induction, it's got 2 circle inductions on one side and the flex induction at the other side which allows you to use a few different attachments, only have the griddle plate for it but it's handy for 2 large steaks like today's..

HZ390522-1.jpg

EX651FEC1E.jpg?fit=fill&bg=0FFF&w=1500&h=1000&auto=format,compress

It's about 7yrs old and going strong..

Seve OB wrote: »
    Every chef will have an opinion. Some will even tell you to season it for hours.

Salt and pepper as you are putting it on the pan is absolute fine.

Here's the recipe for braised steak. Starts at 1h:26m:19sec
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11274045

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Seve OB wrote: »
    You guys cooking steak in an air fryer are just weird

Exactly, I boil mine like any sane person does.

Do you mind if I ask what the Induction model is?

I've been thinking about getting a Mixed hob of Induction+Gas or even buying separate Hobs for each.

Mine is Neff and is similar to the photo above in that it has two round hobs and one large rectangular one for a griddle pan.

If you want separate hobs search domino hobs and you'll see all sorts of combinations. But for me after going induction Im fine with not having gas, theyre a hassle to clean imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I got 2 large cowboys at the counter for €9.28 this morning...not sure what you bought for €16..

IMG-20210123-122039.jpg

Both of those for less than a tenner is savage value. I'd have happily grabbed some of them at that price. They look well cut too, the few times I've tried them the bone was cut angled and it made them very awkward to cook properly so I stopped buying them.

The steaks I saw were rib eyes and cut from the counter and packaged in store. TBF, they were huge, both in size and thickness but for some reason they seemed expensive at more than €8 for each steak, especially when they were reduced. I usually get one decent steak for myself and 2 smaller ones for the kids and there wasn't any smaller available. I was rushing so didn't bother asking for smaller at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm constantly getting reports about this thread so lets just state a few ground rules
    a) anything to do with price (and subsequently quality based on the price) can be posted
    b) anything to do with cooking it should be discussed in the food forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1761

Just picked up 3 cowboy steaks from SuperValu for €12 its great value, the place was mobbed so I will go back Monday and ask them to cut some super thick ones

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'm constantly getting reports about this thread so lets just state a few ground rules
    a) anything to do with price (and subsequently quality based on the price) can be posted
    b) anything to do with cooking it should be discussed in the food forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1761

Sorry, my fault. I hadn't realised it was bargain alerts .

I had subscribed to the thread a while ago and when it came up in my notices I had presumed I was in the Food forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We know the farmer. He wouldn't sell us a cow last year'(2019) as he had been stung with the abbatoir. He got back a different animal. He's was happy this time round with another guy and the butcher cuts meat for supervalu. It showed in what I got.
    We got an animal of another farmer I've had dealings with and a local abbatoir and butcher processed it. Cuts weren't as good as this time around. Meat was hung 10 days.

The lambs cost 140 for 26kg of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Went into supervalu in gorey and all the cowboy steaks were sold out. Will be in south dublin tomorrow, has anyone been into any of the supervalu's there today to see if they have any?

We know the farmer. He wouldn't sell us a cow last year'(2019) as he had been stung with the abbatoir. He got back a different animal. He's was happy this time round with another guy and the butcher cuts meat for supervalu. It showed in what I got.
    We got an animal of another farmer I've had dealings with and a local abbatoir and butcher processed it. Cuts weren't as good as this time around. Meat was hung 10 days.

The lambs cost 140 for 26kg of meat.

That works out at 5.38 per kilo. Which is a some bargain considering in the supermarkets lamb mince alone is around 10-12 euro a kilo with prices then going much higher for leg of lamb, loin, cutlets, shoulder, etc. Is the farmer making any margin at all or is it effectively mates rates?

This farm on Achill Island sells full lambs, its 240 for 22 kilos of various cuts so the 140 for 26kg is a really great price
    https://calveysachillmountainlamb.ie/sales/new-season/achill-mountain-lamb-carcase-in-a-box/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That works out at 5.38 per kilo. Which is a some bargain considering in the supermarkets lamb mince alone is around 10-12 euro a kilo with prices then going much higher for leg of lamb, loin, cutlets, shoulder, etc. Is the farmer making any margin at all or is it effectively mates rates?

This farm on Achill Island sells full lambs, its 240 for 22 kilos of various cuts so the 140 for 26kg is a really great price
    https://calveysachillmountainlamb.ie/sales/new-season/achill-mountain-lamb-carcase-in-a-box/

He's making money. He sold 5 in total to friends of mine. Only problem is there's only 2 legs on these lambs :D

He also had 2 heifers. One for himself and his business partner and the other to me and a few friends.

Them and chickens I raised myself has us, sorted with meat for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Went into supervalu in gorey and all the cowboy steaks were sold out. Will be in south dublin tomorrow, has anyone been into any of the supervalu's there today to see if they have any?
    Got a couple this afternoon in Knocklyon and there was about a dozen behind the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi
    C_Valentines-LP-Editorial-B-1_20212801_IE.jpg?o=L1cSlrW9UjAEIyilQ%40l9rjA7Cxsj&V=e7Q8&p=2&w=230&h=380&q=90C_Valentines-LP-Editorial-B-2_20212801_IE.jpg?o=ncAIi1RZw7p67PfwO%40CqCuykBMgj&V=Y5Gd&p=2&w=470&h=380&q=90

Advertisement