Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leo worrying about meeting Kylie? WTF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Let em have his fun it's not as if something really important that could **** the country up beyond repair is going on now is there??!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

*cringe*
    kylie-letter-e1553982494828.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

tototoe wrote: »
    Was never a fan of Bertie or Enda, both utter gobsheens, but very clever at the same time.

Leo is a complete t!t and for all his qualities, he is not the sharpest tool in the box. Its all about image with him and it shows in his actions...like this.

Don't think I've ever disliked a Taoiseach more than Leo..

It said a lot when he was caught off guard and asked what price he regarded as being an affordable house, I think he said 330k.

There hasn't been a more wildly out of touch moment since Flynn complained about paying to maintain his three houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

meeeeh wrote: »
    If that's the worst that can be found on Varadkar, FG will be easily in government next therm. Scrapping the bottom of the barrel comes to mind. (And I can't vote and those close to me don't vote FG).

The worst? How about the hospital waiting list crisis,housing crises and diabolical infrastructure expenditure? Leo's smarmy personality is just the icing on the **** cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

smurgen wrote: »
    The worst? How about the hospital waiting list crisis,housing crises and diabolical infrastructure expenditure? Leo's smarmy personality is just the icing on the **** cake.

Then comment on those not on his taste in music. But something credible not complaints about housing shortage from serial planning objector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Fann Linn wrote: »
    An overpaid clown.

Ah Kylie's not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Complain all you want, but Varadkar is the perfect modern European leader: childless, homosexual, half-Indian.

If I was part of the foreign Money Power that wanted to ride roughshod over country I would select someone just like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Could be worse - at least he's not Theresa May:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

That's very cringe inducing stuff.

What's annoying me is that he wrote that not in a personal capacity but as Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Trump, May, Macron?

Are these the type you prefer?

When were any of them Taoiseach?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"Dear Kylie.

I've been watching you afar for quite some time now. I recently got a new job with attendant fancy letterhead, and thought this an opportune time to write to you to ask if you wished to meet me. It gets lonely in this dusty old office; sometimes I think you're the only one that understands me. When I get angry and my social media ideas are shot down for being 'unethical' (what the hell do they know anyway?), I send my advisors out of the office and tell my secretary I'm not taking calls - then I put in my Apple Airpods and do the Locomotion until I calm down and don't think of hurting little animals and the poor any more.

So what do you say? Please don't let me down again Kylie.

Your biggest fan,

Leo

P.S, I hope you like the drawing of me in the bath I sent you for your birthday."

It could be a lot worse, Trump sends notes like that to Kim Jong Un and Putin.

I don't think Kylie Minogue is going for that kind of world domination. It's still very cringey though.

He's learning how developing the gravitas of office works, the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Yurt! wrote: »
    "Dear Kylie.

I've been watching you afar for quite some time now. I recently got a new job with attendant fancy letterhead, and thought this an opportune time to write to you to ask if you wished to meet me. It gets lonely in this dusty old office; sometimes I think you're the only one that understands me. When I get angry and my social media ideas are shot down for being 'unethical' (what the hell do they know anyway?), I send my advisors out of the office and tell my secretary I'm not taking calls - then I put in my Apple Airpods and do the Locomotion until I calm down and don't think of hurting little animals and the poor any more.

Your biggest fan,

Leo

P.S, I hope you like the drawing of me in the bath I sent you for your birthday."

I couldn’t read his scribble but that sounds like a man that has a bit of a want.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Leo is having a great time as Taoiseach, if he looses the next election he'll still get his pension.
    As a young man he has a bright future ahead of him.

He's probably made a mistake with the Kylie thing, but he'll be alright....

Just a man who's made a bobo....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    And don’t tell the whole country about it.

Who did he tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Yurt! wrote: »
    "Dear Kylie.

Your biggest fan,

Leo

Anyone else hear Dido playing in the background while reading that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Anyone else hear Dido playing in the background while reading that?

More like

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Slow news day as usual in the rags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Director of Comms for Irish Rugby to Leo's right. Sorted for the oul tickets.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit conscious of this being a bit crazy tabloid storm in a tea cup too. I mean yes, it has taken him a few months to start acting more Taoiseachly and layering on the gravitas, but I wouldn’t think this is the area where I’d be critical.

How many previous Irish major politicians have been utterly fixated on horse racing, football, hurling, soccer, rugby etc.

My view of it is if you’re going to send those kinds of letters though in an official capacity, you reserve them for congratulating and encouraging Irish artists or international artists where there’s some official reason to do so.

I’ve no issue with the Taoiseach sending someone a friendly letter but it’s just you’re writing on behalf of the nation when you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

As the day goes on I get more sympathetic to him. This is what we get from a major attempt by a major paper to get the dirt on Leo, using the FOI? If only we had that kind of journalism in the era of the Charvet shirts, the brown bags, the missing bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anteayer wrote: »
    I'm a bit conscious of this being a bit crazy tabloid storm in a tea cup too. I mean yes, it has taken him a few months to start acting more Taoiseachly and layering on the gravitas, but I wouldn’t think this is the area where I’d be critical.

How many previous Irish major politicians have been utterly fixated on horse racing, football, hurling, soccer, rugby etc.

My view of it is if you’re going to send those kinds of letters though in an official capacity, you reserve them for congratulating and encouraging Irish artists or international artists where there’s some official reason to do so.

I’ve no issue with the Taoiseach sending someone a friendly letter but it’s just you’re writing on behalf of the nation when you do.

In reality the only issue was the paper he sent it on. Vradker can leave his office and do what he wants within the law. No doubt he can call in some favours, as can most.

I do think there's an element of tabloid sensationalism to it alright. Also frankly it does somewhat stink of homophobia and I mean that in the sense that they're having a good laugh because it's basically fan mail to Kylie, who to be fair is a gay icon.

If it were a similar letter to say a major international sports icon or a similar, would anyone in the tabloids care?

Taoiseach invites All Blacks to Lunch in Government buildings? Would anyone bat an eye lid or would the sports pages being going on about it in a positive way?

My only point is that I think there should be protocol around writing letters of that type and they should be considered in the context of the fact that it's the office writing, not the individual who holds the office and that's ultimately the people of Ireland.

That being said, there's nothing controversial, negative or anything else about Kylie. She's by all means a talent pop star and seems to be a very positive individual too who's been pretty inspirational for a lot of people who've survived cancer too.

I just think the whole thing could have been handled a lot better, and even from a purely public affairs point of view - he could have done something like invite her to a relevant event or something like that if he was that keen on it. Or, even host something for Irish-Australian relations.

I mean there are plenty of reasons why you might want to welcome her to Ireland, it's just maybe do it in the context of leading Ireland rather than a personal capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Tacklebox wrote: »
    Leo is having a great time as Taoiseach, if he looses the next election he'll still get his pension.

not until he is 65

Riskymove wrote: »
    not until he is 65

To be fair to the previous FG/Lab government, they did scrap the idea of politicians getting paid pensions until pension age. There was a fairly substantial clean up of those kinds of practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

bri007 wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/leo-varadkar-under-fire-sending-14216020

Would suit him better to focus more on his role of Taoiseach than looking to meet and greet Kylie... seriously!

Crap. It's clear that the Taoiseach's programming has been corrupted. The automaton is displaying perfectly normal human behaviour such as being a fan of a (once) popular singer.

I can't wait till you discover that the Taoiseach also uses the bathroom. The look on your face is going to be priceless.

I think you also have to remember that politics is politics - within reason, a political figure has to get themselves into the limelight to get elected. It's always going to be the way no matter what you do. There aren't all that many successful political figures who are pure technocrats. They all have to play the game with the media to stay relevant.

The only criticism here is that he needs to be aware of the fact that you can't act in a personal capacity on official stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The guy is such a PR driven clown, he's such a spin doctor. Nothing authentic about him in the slightest. As far as i'm concerned he's failed in every position he's ever had now as leader and before in his ministerial positions.

• Advertisement

To be fair, he hasn't failed in all of his previous ministerial positions and I don't think any minister who's held the health portfolio has been able to make a success of it. It's a poison chalice that has destroyed many a political career.

If you look at the people who got out of it without serious damage, they've all managed to keep their stint short or focused on issues that were easier to manage e.g. the smoking ban.

Anyone who tries to tackle serious health reforms here basically is destroyed.
    That's why I think the only way of solving the Irish health problems is to handle it in a cross-party health committee and as a national crisis. It's a system that is almost unreformable because it's so full of vested interests.

I'm actually at the stage that I don't think we'll ever manage to reform health. It's just a complete and total out of control disaster of a system. I don't remember any time when it wasn't in crisis, even during the boom days of the celtic tiger it was lurching from crisis to crisis to crisis.

It doesn't matter what party they're from, they'll be chewed up and spit out by the politicised chaos that is the health system here and that history goes all the way back to 1948 and the very left leaning Dr. Noël Browne and in modern times to right leaning politicians like Harney.

It's like the health system here is some kind of parallel universe that's beyond political control.

Advertisement