Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Austrialian import ?
    heroics wrote: »
    Just sold the 5 series to get the Audi as needed more space. My wife still has a bmw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Blazer wrote: »
    different story when their car would be chipped also. They'd be leaving you in the dust if your car wasn't chipped.

Have you driven a regular 2.0 tdi 140 bhp vw?

They're quite an animal, It depends on the reflexes of the driver, change gear bang on 2000 revs and its a smooth operator...

I don't have any thing against people's choice of cars, only their choice of driving.

Rarely ill drive too fast, I do find having a lot of power is nice and more comfortable for myself.

I stick with the limits most of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why would you not leave them in the boot?

What sort of nut brings the shopping in, unpacks it and then brings the bags back out to the boot of the car?

Just throw them into a press and take them out when you need them again.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

82b654_5472254.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

cd07 wrote: »
    Have to agree...everytime u merge into the fast lane its always a bmw or Audi driving cockend! Absolute saps that know nothing about cars or driving. Bought for the status badge pricks

There is no "fast lane"

There are overtaking lanes that you use to overtake and then make sure to move the fcuk back over and not hog it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

To me it's more the model of car that's a reliable indicator of driver behaviour. I live in Cork city and walk a lot, anyone driving a crossover SUV or similar is going to drive like an idiot who is insane and doesn't quite know that the world beyond their windscreen is actually a real place filled with mortal people. "Fcuk your traffic lights, fcuk these indicators what are they lol, fcuk pedestrians, double fcuk cyclists five ways til Tuesday, and absolutely fcuk disabled parking spots, double yellow lines and so on. My car's actually too big to be practical to park in this city where I live so fcuk off I park where I want!!!"

It's probably a combination of the fact that the cars are expensive and wealthier people will tend to be less considerate (the list of considerate things from outraged wealthy posters that'll follow this notwithstanding :pac:), that people who are bad drivers get them for esse and because they withstand collisions well, and that otherwise good drivers get less cautious subconsciously because they're aware that they'll likely withstand a collision well.

I live near a school with a fairly wealthy catchment area, 9am and 3pm weekdays is one big old Nissan Qashqai monster truck rally where bicycle lanes, red lights and the frikkin one way sign that should keep them off my street suddenly become suggestions rather than rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TreyAz wrote: »
    Seriously, has there ever been a group of people more determined to live up to a stereotype ?
    What car do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TreyAz

the_syco wrote: »
    What car do you drive?

A fairly clapped out Corolla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Tacklebox wrote: »
    Have you driven a regular 2.0 tdi 140 bhp vw?

They're quite an animal

140 bhp and animal does not compute unless it's a go-cart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

LOL:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

These were fairly nippy with 140 BHP.
    d66349bd1fc7432d760bbdf889a7d2861cfab095.jpg

These are great craic up a twisty road with even less(120 IIRC, but 6 odd seconds to 60). Well able to keep up with modern traffic and will leave many a car up a backroad.

GBA10L1T6.3-1.jpg?imwidth=800&impolicy=.auto

And these with again IIRC only 120 Bhp are a fantastic little point and squirt car in that old "British Sportscar" vein, minus the spontaneous disassembly and rust of that breed.

Mazda-MX-5-1-6-fotoshowBig-d9680f21-809223.jpg

But yeah they have to be light as feck. Can't build them that way these days. What with safety and satnavs. Modern cars have gone a bit like some modern people, heavier and wider. 140 horses doesn't do much if the car's a tonne and a half(and often more). Lower revving with turbos torque is more a thing these days too, rather than naturally aspirated revving like a bunch of demented bees in a jar.

like i said earlier all pissat drivers are chipped.
    chipped on the shoulder, cos they cant afford a proper car.

Wibbs wrote: »
    These were fairly nippy with 140 BHP.
    d66349bd1fc7432d760bbdf889a7d2861cfab095.jpg

These are great craic up a twisty road with even less(120 IIRC, but 6 odd seconds to 60). Well able to keep up with modern traffic and will leave many a car up a backroad.

GBA10L1T6.3-1.jpg?imwidth=800&impolicy=.auto

And these with again IIRC only 120 Bhp are a fantastic little point and squirt car in that old "British Sportscar" vein, minus the spontaneous disassembly and rust of that breed.

Mazda-MX-5-1-6-fotoshowBig-d9680f21-809223.jpg

But yeah they have to be light as feck. Can't build them that way these days. What with safety and satnavs. Modern cars have gone a bit like some modern people, heavier and wider. 140 horses doesn't do much if the car's a tonne and a half(and often more). Lower revving with turbos torque is more a thing these days too, rather than naturally aspirated revving like a bunch of demented bees in a jar.

As I said, go-carts:P

Can you imagine having a crash in one of those. Would love a go though!

Ah, Passats are a fine family car. And not offensive looking.

exactly a decent enough family saloon.
    but if you see a single guy in one, invariably he's an asshole.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As I said, go-carts:P

Can you imagine having a crash in one of those. Would love a go though!
    If you ever get the chance to pedal a well sorted example of one of those 60's Elans A, take it with both paws. Great craic and you will be surprised when you look down at the speedo. Your honour... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

If you ever get the chance to pedal a well sorted example of one of those 60's Elans A, take it with both paws. Great craic and you will be surprised when you look down at the speedo. Your honour... :D

+2 sitting in the garage here awaiting a rebirth. 1.6 twin cam, norvic fettled to 150.

but if you see a single guy in one, invariably he's an asshole.:D

But, I think they relaxed that law, married men are allowed out on their own these days.

God knows I've a heavy right foot as it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

I find must people who own an orthodox motorcar to be obnoxious.

I can get everywhere on my bike without destroying the planet why can’t you?

Eventually. Btw, are you vegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

Eventually. Btw, are you vegan?

But of course!

I find must people who own an orthodox motorcar to be obnoxious.

On occasion I like two wheel travel myself.

475038.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I couldn't afford any other car as im not exactly wealthy and have a very low wage.

What's a proper car ?

Are you saying just because someone is poor they don't have the capacity to drive a proper car.

Im poor and love my car, I think its a good car.

Do you think poor people don't deserve the dignity of thinking they have a proper car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Tacklebox wrote: »
    I couldn't afford any other car as im not exactly wealthy and have a very low wage.

Do you think poor people don't deserve the dignity of thinking they have a proper car?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/6/60/Very_Tall_Man.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/185?cb=20121217083536

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

While in no way saying that all BMW drivers conform to all the them, there are however a significant majority who conform to the following well established characteristics, that tend to define the popular perception of BMW drivers :

- C grade ability people, who through hard work and dedication achieve passable B level performance. Reaching that, they tend to believe and strive to convey that they are A grade ability people
    - generally of selfish disposition, with a loose regard for others, and for the rule of law and societal conventions
    - have a deep seated insecurity, prompted either from their dissatisfaction of being C grade performers, from an inability to match the level of their parents, or, from the expectation of the society and peers amongst whom they live
    - are very strongly motivated by image, prestige, and the facade they present to society. They are easily attracted by premium brand display, seeing it as both a validation of their self, and being unable to really appreciate the value of a good, a belief that expense and prestige is a shortcut to ensuring they are buying quality even though they dont understand what that quality is.
    - are aggressive, competitive, and willing to take any route necessary to overcome their shortcomings, and achieve outward success
    - are generally unaware that the rest of the world is aware of these traits, while they are oblivious to them, rationalising the hostility they are sometimes aware of being directed towards them, as jealousy, or justifying their car choice on the basis that its simply a great car.

It is noted that these characteristics are behind both their drive to be in a BMW, and how they behave when at the wheel of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

While in no way saying that all BMW drivers conform to all the them, there are however a significant majority who conform to the following well established characteristics, that tend to define the popular perception of BMW drivers :

- C grade ability people, who through hard work and dedication achieve passable B level performance. Reaching that, they tend to believe and strive to convey that they are A grade ability people
    - generally of selfish disposition, with a loose regard for others, and for the rule of law and societal conventions
    - have a deep seated insecurity, prompted either from their dissatisfaction of being C grade performers, from an inability to match the level of their parents, or, from the expectation of the society and peers amongst whom they live
    - are very strongly motivated by image, prestige, and the facade they present to society. They are easily attracted by premium brand display, seeing it as both a validation of their self, and being unable to really appreciate the value of a good, a belief that expense and prestige is a shortcut to ensuring they are buying quality even though they dont understand what that quality is.
    - are aggressive, competitive, and willing to take any route necessary to overcome their shortcomings, and achieve outward success
    - are generally unaware that the rest of the world is aware of these traits, while they are oblivious to them, rationalising the hostility they are sometimes aware of being directed towards them, as jealousy, or justifying their car choice on the basis that its simply a great car.

It is noted that these characteristics are behind both their drive to be in a BMW, and how they behave when at the wheel of one.

Great research. But I think that it also applies to other drivers who do not use their indicators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Has the word RAPE in username, takes the urine out of a whole demographic because of their choice of automobile.

What you actually mean is all of the above is a reflection of yourself and your thoughts on a car manufacturer and its customers, from your own viewpoint, in your Dacia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Yeah, the absolute state of them, saps, probably don't even own one Versace tracksuit. Gucci gang.

As someone already said, BMW is the motor equivalent of Burberry. Driven by salesmen and men who sell.

in your Dacia.
    Ouch. Attack the post, not the poster. :D

Feck me, he got all that from a badge? From what I've seen there's a huge difference between new BMW/Merc/Audi(and others) buyers and secondhand buyers. All of the used Beemer drivers I know are anything but like the stereotype. They like the cars. Most of them have moved on from the Cars of their Youth(tm), mostly front wheel drive Japanese pocket rockets and got into something more I suppose liveable with, more family friendly even girlfriend friendly, while still retaining the oomph factor and the ability - with older ones anyway - of being able to turn your own spanners, with some hammers, of a weekend.

They're pretty upgradeable too, so if you get a lower end model you can usually bolt on bits and bobs, even engines from higher end models. Being seen as suburban "luxury" cars they suffer mad depreciation, so come down to a nice price to get onto one. The disadvantage of the luxury tag are the costs when something goes wrong. Then again car parts prices across the board have gone nuts since I was turning spanners with my da in the driveway in the 1980's. Never mind the regular enough need to have to bring it to a dealer where they'll goose you roughly from behind without even buying you dinner first.