Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Gravelly wrote: »
    This is it - would Katherine Zappone give a fück about elderly farmers down in south Kerry?

Uhhh… because she and her party have been voted in to represent them. Sure, she's got the votes of people she knows and people she lives near, but once she steps up and takes that oath she's representing Mrs Gallagher in Letterkenny, Mrs Mac Mathúna who lives in Kerry and young Mick Bolger who lives in Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Uhhh… because she and her party have been voted in to represent them. Sure, she's got the votes of people she knows and people she lives near, but once she steps up and takes that oath she's representing Mrs Gallagher in Letterkenny, Mrs Mac Mathúna who lives in Kerry and young Mick Bolger who lives in Gorey.

Show me one single bill or act that she has brought forward to back that assertion up? Even a public statement?

Show me one single bill or act that she has brought forward to back that assertion up? Even a public statement?

I wasn't particularly talking about this deputy; I wouldn't be comfortable in arguing over the record of a recently widowed woman who's in grief, and I'm sure you wouldn't either if you thought about it.

But to choose another, look at Shane Ross. His proposed law on drunken driving, and the solution of the bus fleet if it would seem to cause rural isolation, seems a genuinely national solution to a certainly national problem.

Every week we see "Teen killed in horror crash", "Mother dies in smash", etc. And garda figures show that a lot of drivers and a lot of people killed by drivers are drunk.

I'm hoping and expecting that this much-disputed law will bring down the deaths, and Ireland will be full of people walking around and enjoying their lives who might otherwise have had their lifeline cut off a year before.

I wasn't particularly talking about this deputy; I wouldn't be comfortable in arguing over the record of a recently widowed woman who's in grief, and I'm sure you wouldn't either if you thought about it.

Seriously? You feel you can't discuss a politicians record on a discussion board (a politician who's record you yourself raised as an example in your previous post!) because she lost her spouse a year ago?

Of all the weird whataboutery excuses I've read on here, that is by far and away the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Each county should have a mirror county in General Elections, where candidates from say Donegal and Cork are voted in by the people in the opposite county, on their manifesto of what they will do for the country, not what roads they fix. TD's should be barred from tipping a nod or a wink to county councils too. There should be a set communication line for queries etc and thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Each county should have a mirror county in General Elections, where candidates from say Donegal and Cork are voted in by the people in the opposite county, on their manifesto of what they will do for the country, not what roads they fix. TD's should be barred from tipping a nod or a wink to county councils too. There should be a set communication line for queries etc and thats it.

have you been drinking today ?

You'd have to make sure they are counties with no historical rivalry, or you'd have, say Kerry people voting in the worst possible politician they could in Cork, and Meath people doing the same for Dublin etc. (though it probably wouldn't make things much worse!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

2smiggy wrote: »
    have you been drinking today ?

I'd say it's an acid trip.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

All I want to know is, are they voting yes or no tomorrow?

beertons wrote: »
    All I want to know is, are they voting yes or no tomorrow?

They're in the No camp.

At least they're not bowing to pressure or seeing which the way the wind is blowing like some others you could mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Textronic

Agree with the last bit

They shouldn't be able to garner votes by doing favours

As another poster said half the time they're knocking some other person back down the queue

Seriously? You feel you can't discuss a politicians record on a discussion board (a politician who's record you yourself raised as an example in your previous post!) because she lost her spouse a year ago?

Of all the weird whataboutery excuses I've read on here, that is by far and away the best.

I didn't - I replied to a post by Gravelly that raised her name :D

I didn't - I replied to a post by Gravelly that raised her name :D

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And even if the Healy Raes are or are not gombeens, both Leo and MM would bend over backwards and give them whatever they'd ask for if their votes were required for the newTaoiseach in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭al87987

Wow, I can't believe that the drunk driving endorsing, climate change denying political embarrassments are getting so much love on here just for sorting out a few locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

al87987 wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe that the drunk driving endorsing, climate change denying political embarrassments are getting so much love on here just for sorting out a few locals.

maybe because they help out their constituents ? you know, like they were voted in to do. One of my local TD's maybe spoke once in the last Dail , lasted 1 term, did feck all, and now has his pension. I would prefer one doing work for the area he was elected to represent to be honest.

maybe because they help out their constituents ? you know, like they were voted in to do. One of my local TD's maybe spoke once in the last Dail , lasted 1 term, did feck all, and now has his pension. I would prefer one doing work for the area he was elected to represent to be honest.

The only statement in the Dail from a local TD of mine was asking if a window could be opened to let in some fresh air allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

But to choose another, look at Shane Ross. His proposed law on drunken driving, and the solution of the bus fleet if it would seem to cause rural isolation, seems a genuinely national solution to a certainly national problem.

Every week we see "Teen killed in horror crash", "Mother dies in smash", etc. And garda figures show that a lot of drivers and a lot of people killed by drivers are drunk.

I'm hoping and expecting that this much-disputed law will bring down the deaths, and Ireland will be full of people walking around and enjoying their lives who might otherwise have had their lifeline cut off a year before.
    And how was that 'solution' arrived at? It wasn't any part of the original proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Reading this thread it's very easy to spot who lives in the real world and who doesn't. The ongoing theme that it's somehow the HealyRaes fault that the dail doesn't function as it should is just laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You'd have to make sure they are counties with no historical rivalry, or you'd have, say Kerry people voting in the worst possible politician they could in Cork, and Meath people doing the same for Dublin etc. (though it probably wouldn't make things much worse!).

But why would they do that when under the system, the politicians would be working for the good of the country rather than for the locals. No interference in the work county councils do, who should be completely separate from TDs. If someone turns up at a clinic looking for a medical card, give them the number for the HSE, someone wants a house transfer? point them in the direction of the housing department.

Country may improve a little if people know they can't buy votes and have to work for them.

• Advertisement

But why would they do that when under the system, the politicians would be working for the good of the country rather than for the locals. No interference in the work county councils do, who should be completely separate from TDs.

If the system was (completely) changed so that was the case, yes, but at the present time, no TD who isn't a minister (and most who are) care a damn about anything other than looking after their own, because that is how they get reelected.

I'm inclined to think a list system would be the best way forward.

Another poster said it up thread

If there was proper fair procedures in place at local level for services etc.

There wouldn't be a market for gombeen politicians like the Healy-raes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

But they are not meant to.be elected to just work for the area they are elected in,they are meant to be elected for a national parliament. To do good for the whole population of the country! Its not just the Healy raes, its the majority of them! Should have a system where by half run on national platforms,let them decide the important things, then people can run for regional government,let them worry about regional issues, and county councils for fixing the roads, with appropriate salary scales for appropriate roles

They should be arrested anyway

By the fashion police

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's win-win for them, isn't it?

I saw MHR going around talking to the young ones in bars in Killarney on a sat night, shaking hands and taking selfies.

What big city politician ever does that? If people feel valued and their problems are sorted for them, who wouldn't vote for them?

Why should they give a fcuk what happens in inner city Dublin, the Midlands or Donegal?

After living amidst his "patch" for years? He was doing that to get votes.

I had barely moved in when he was at the gate, rain and all. I had been forewarned so when he asked if I were registered to vote. I let him delve in his car boot for the forms. ;)

The old man who was my nearest neighbour used to literally hide in his shed when they came round .

On the Kerry forum there was a thread about buying votes by bumping folk up the housing list. He tried that with me. Only once.

Be not fooled by that vacuous smile.

Graces7 wrote: »
    After living amidst his "patch" for years? He was doing that to get votes.

I had barely moved in when he was at the gate, rain and all. I had been forewarned so when he asked if I were registered to vote. I let him delve in his car boot for the forms. ;)

The old man who was my nearest neighbour used to literally hide in his shed when they came round .

On the Kerry forum there was a thread about buying votes by bumping folk up the housing list. He tried that with me. Only once.

Be not fooled by that vacuous smile.

Blow-in. :pac:
    Of course he was, but at least he was making an effort.

People remember what was done for them, old CJ is now hated in many quarters but you can't say a bad word about him in Dingle because of what he did for the place.

People remember what was done for them, old CJ is now hated in many quarters but you can't say a bad word about him in Dingle because of what he did for the place.

Moneygall is the same with Obama :D

Well, there were far worse things that cannot be posted here, and I told him so in an email. Next time I saw him was when I was trading at the county fairl when he saw m e he went white and fled...

And bumping folk up the housing list is an appalling thing to do, so unfair to the others on the list..

NB I been here nearly 20 years now so hardly a blow in ;)

Graces7 wrote: »

NB I been here nearly 20 years now so hardly a blow in ;)

Unless your people have been there for more than a century you're still a blow-in.

• Advertisement

Unless your people have been there for more than a century you're still a blow-in.

Well seeing as how you say that, my people were here well under a century ago
    and centuries before that ...

Advertisement