Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Collie D wrote: »
    Is this thread like the gang land one where we can’t name names? Who’s the unpopular Kerry politician?

There's 2 lads mentioned here that will be stepping down, must be one of them never heard of them though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/kerry-county-council-jackie-healy-rae-elected-on-first-count-1.3890435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Collie D wrote: »
    To be fair the county council is the best place for them. Local issues at local level. Just keep it out of the Dail.

Aye, awarding some nice local contracts to the plant hire business. On OUR money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Aye, awarding some nice local contracts to the plant hire business. On OUR money.

I actually started typing something similar but I decided to be nice for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Boys and girls, the facts ARE the Healy-Rae’s get ‘work’ done!
    Love it or loathe it, that’s what it is, and the ballot boxes have proved it again today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The amount of family members of established politicians up for election all over the country is something else. Peadar Tobin has a sister running, Boxer moran has a son and also a brother running, Lowry has a son, Noel Dempsey has a daughter, Mary O'Rourke has a son, Mattie McGrath has a son, that's just what I heard in the last few days and of course the Healy Raes have the whole family running. Also I never knew until the last few days that Lynn Boylan and Eoin O'Broin are partners. Family dynasties all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I'll explain it better for you to grasp, Bertie was a gombeen as well and the Dubs voted for him in their droves.

Ah I see now, so what your saying is because the dubs elected a gombeen then Kerry should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Maura is leading in Killarney as far as I know, over 2,000 votes.

They'll be counting again tomorrow morning.

Votes like that don't fall out of the sky in all fairness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The amount of family members of established politicians up for election all over the country is something else. Peadar Tobin has a sister running, Boxer moran has a son and also a brother running, Lowry has a son, Noel Dempsey has a daughter, Mary O'Rourke has a son, Mattie McGrath has a son, that's just what I heard in the last few days and of course the Healy Raes have the whole family running. Also I never knew until the last few days that Lynn Boylan and Eoin O'Broin are partners. Family dynasties all over the place.

You've been busy the "last few days" catching up with all the political news.
    Don't get too excited or you will be put back in to the padded cell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I moved to Kerry not so long ago and I don't think the Healy Rae's are that bad after all. Better than those serious auld dhrips in FF / FG

If you want to see pantomime or vaudeville, go to a theatre though. Politics is a serious business if we want it done correctly, and a Laurel and Hardy type show doesnt really cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Mrsmum wrote: »

Only if you elect them. They dont elect themselves. Its a problem for Ireland, that ever since it lost its lords and Monarchy, it has tried to fill a national void by electing family dynasties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Only if you elect them. They dont elect themselves. Its a problem for Ireland, that ever since it lost its lords and Monarchy, it has tried to fill a national void by electing family dynasties.

No it hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭riddles

If your family has a background in any business profession or sport to a certain level clearly the next generation are potentially going to move in that direction. Politic's is no different in this regard, if people put their name out there for election and get the required votes to be elected well done them. If they leverage a family network to do so, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wonder if the people most butthurt about the HR dynasty wished their elected representatives worked as well as they do for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Gombeens vote for gombeens.

And what of dubs voting for money grabbing fraudsters?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Council is the best place for them.

Problems arise when the balloons are elected to the Dail and act like Councillors for Kerry instead of TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

ChikiChiki wrote: »

That's another thing, they do a ****e job on the roads in Kerry so they are fücked again in a few months, thus getting more contracts, pocketing money and doing more ****e Jobs, the never ending circle. Danny said It was the fairies messing with one particular road, eh no, you just do a shít job.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's another thing, they do a ****e job on the roads in Kerry so they are fücked again in a few months, thus getting more contracts, pocketing money and doing more ****e Jobs, the never ending circle. Danny said It was the fairies messing with one particular road, eh no, you just do a shít job.

Isn’t plant hire just machinery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isn’t plant hire just machinery?

Yeah but I'm sure there's dodgy dealings there. Another thing, Michael was marching with the water protestors but had the contract to put in the meters. Some will say smart business man but I can't help view It as a bit two faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the The Healy RAe-Team."

I have lived in Kerry about 8 years. The Healy Raes are a breath of fresh air. Never in all the places I have lived have I come across politicians so eager to help their constituents, and if thats what you want you wont find better. Yes they have their own businesses, they don't hide it, they keep the work in Kerry.

They have helped me huge amounts, I have a new 500m tarmac drive instead of the old muddy track. The road to the village is well maintained. I know if I need medical treatment, and I cant get it locally they will collect and deliver me to a hospital that will. If you need to chat to them they are 100% approachable and will listen. Many have a story about how the HRs have helped them out.

The reason they keep getting elected is because they are an asset to the people of Kerry. Sure we know everyone outside Kerry hates them, but we think they are jealous.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    , but we think they are jealous.

They’re not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

salmocab wrote:
    They’re not

Green monster peeping out there

liam7831 wrote: »
    Green monster peeping out there

Nope not even a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the The Healy RAe-Team."

I have lived in Kerry about 8 years. The Healy Raes are a breath of fresh air. Never in all the places I have lived have I come across politicians so eager to help their constituents, and if thats what you want you wont find better. Yes they have their own businesses, they don't hide it, they keep the work in Kerry.

They have helped me huge amounts, I have a new 500m tarmac drive instead of the old muddy track. The road to the village is well maintained. I know if I need medical treatment, and I cant get it locally they will collect and deliver me to a hospital that will. If you need to chat to them they are 100% approachable and will listen. Many have a story about how the HRs have helped them out.

The reason they keep getting elected is because they are an asset to the people of Kerry. Sure we know everyone outside Kerry hates them, but we think they are jealous.

Which is exactly why they should be councillors and not TD's .
    They do nothing at all for me as I live outside Kerry .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Apparently Danny and Michael's mother used to speak Arabic and she worked in an Arab UN mission in New York.

I'm not even joking, look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

salmocab wrote: »
    They’re not

:D

You'd have to love the Healy-Rae's for no other reason than they seem to have occupied the minds of so many for so long.

I approached my government TD for assistance in dealing with a particular issue. I rang and spoke to a member of his team and explained my problem and sent an email with all the details in it.

I got a return letter saying they had raised it with the head of the relevant department and sent me on the reply, which was practically, verbatim , the contents of the email I had sent him the first day.

I contacted the Healy-Rae's, Michael rang me back at 6.15 the following morning and, after talking for 15 minutes, asked me to forward the details to his team. Within a week, they had the problem sorted, mostly in my favour.

I can show any number of people who have had the same experience with them, when bureaucracy grinds an issue to a halt, they can get it moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Yurt! wrote: »
    Apparently Danny and Michael's mother used to speak Arabic and she worked in an Arab UN mission in New York.

I'm not even joking, look it up.

They may as well be speaking Arabic... anytime I have heard them on the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

iamwhoiam wrote: »

No a TD will carry far more clout than a councillor. That's why they get so much done for their people. I wouldn't mind them in my constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

iamwhoiam wrote: »

The next time you have a problem (and I hope you don’t),where ever you live, maybe you should contact one of them, and I am NOT being smart or facetious.

The number of people who can verify this from outside the Kerry area is testament to this fact, from getting people to Belfast with medical problems to the mundane things like filling out forms.
    OK they’re not the most eloquent speakers, but their actions speak much louder.
    Three constituencies in Kerry, three pole toppers.
    How can that many people be wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, if we all had TDs or Councillors like the Healy Raes, things would get done in the country. Say what you like about them but the Irish system is set up to look after your own area and not care a jot about national or international matters.

They know that if they do the work, there's votes in it. By helping people out on anything, they'll get a vote. Its the way rural Ireland works, 'there's x votes in the house'. If they help people out and call them and get them a response with a Government/Department stamp on it, they've shown their worth.

Give out about them all you like but they'd run rings about most guys 'up there in Dublin' and the Dublin guys know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Give out about them all you like but they'd run rings about most guys 'up there in Dublin' and the Dublin guys know it.

Which is fine at council level but it’s not a ****ing competition to show up the Dublin lads which seems to be how they and some of their voters see it. They’re supposed to be running a country at Dail level.

Nothing would get done if all of our TDs spent their time fast tracking medical cards and passports or gassing on about Noah’s Ark, fairies and strange noises.

Advertisement