Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

@deezell i had a look at the automation and realised that 2 minute timer is not needed. the motion sensor occupancy stays in ON status for 10 minutes after last motion. so my timer of 2 minutes will add plus 2 minutes to the automation. so after 12 minutes of last motion, the automation is triggered. this is probably wrong condition. that is to increase room temp to 17 deg after 12 minutes..not before that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

I don't think that's how it works. The motion sensor once triggered has its status as triggered high for ten minutes, and will immediately activate the occupancy condition for heating to 17°, subject to other conditions you've set. If the room is vacated it will not return an unoccupied status until 10 minutes after the last detection. The 10 minute time out prevents instantaneous on and off due to movement which would not be an ideal pattern to fire the boiler

From my example I quoted in my last reply, I can add that the IR sensors I used had a live output which when monitored showed the erratic and constantly switching nature of the sensor, which could flicker on and off several times in a second. This of course is no basis for powering a system, so the system controller had a minimum time set in software before it required another pulse, possibly ten minutes also. During that 10 minutes the timer would be reset everytime the sensor went high, so power would be maintained until a prolonged unoccupied period greater than the timer interval occurred, at which point the system would power off. So it is with your heating, the system will stay on and heating as long as any occupancy is detected in the previous ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Few notes from experience with these type of motion and timeout automations....

Do you really want such a short timeout on heating after motion clearance?

Unless you've one of the more expensive presence detectors it's unlikely to pick up sitting watching TV.... Do you really want heating to turn off if you're leaving the room for 10 minutes? Often you'll struggle to conceptualise the issues until you start using it but these would be what jump out at me.

What if you want to boost the heating on the way home from somewhere? You hit boost / temp raise to override the motion what happens then? Does it turn back off after a few minutes?

I use motion to turn on and off lighting in non main living spaces (utility room, bathrooms, hall and landing) but if I was ever considering it for heating it would be with a much longer timeout period to allow for bathroom breaks etc.

Heating wise I use my window and door sensors to knock heating off after a few minutes and it only turns back on when the window closes again for 15 mins to prevent wasting energy.

@deezell i got it now. so boiler automation triggers when first motion is on and then stays until 10 minutes after last motion. without any other sensors and depending on my xiaomi sensors and esp32 room presence, i think this is the option i should go for.

now i need to check with 10 minute heating on, does this save any energy over my regular time settings within drayton app. is my HA automation better than schedule settings on drayton? :-) i need to figure out

Averaged over a short period, and depending on the cooling rate of your home, you may not see significant difference. A poorly insulated house and long absences would in theory produce savings, the problem is of course that the built up heat in the house fabric, paid for in oil or gas, is being lost during the unoccpancy, and has to be replaced by longer heating burn on return. So an absence of 8 hours is often only equivalent to 5 or 6 hours of heating use. Many will have experienced returning to an unheated poorly insulated house after a long weekend absence, it can take 12-24 hours of hard burning just to warm the bricks and mortar.

Another anecdote, why not. I recall maybe 25 years ago the local manager of my place of work, a large 1940s city centre building, decided to turn off all the heating as a cost saving exercise a few day before Xmas eve. The staff returned on the 2nd January, heating was turned on at 7.00 am, but it had been a cold Xmas, three days later internal temperatures were only 12°, and staff were refusing to work, wearing coats and gloves in their offices. The heating of course was burning flat out, but the fabric has dropped to less than 6°, massive brick and internal concrete walls with draughty single glazed windows. It was unbearable for over a week! May he RIP, a single minded man of his time.

• Advertisement

updated my home assistant automation for - no motion for the whole downstairs area - off drayton wiser

any motion triggered - set auto

schedules are created in drayton app.

will monitor this for few days

Do you have something time specific for the morning? Otherwise lack of motion overnight will keep heating off.

true. for now at night the heating is off. when there is first motion upstairs, it triggers heating downstairs. when we come down fo breakfast downstairs will be warm (i guess)

Depends on your house and how quick things heat up I suppose.

Won't be an issue come March / April anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Anyone know what the deal is with Tados systems not being able to do basic maths? Ive put all my billing and usage details in since i installed it and it still is estimating bills to be about 66% of what they actually are.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that would only be accurate if it had exact knowledge of the hourly consumption rate of your boiler, in Kwh, and the exact cost per kwh. If your boiler is called from any source other than the Tado, such as a HW cylinder stat, or direct HW is from the boiler, then it won't have knowledge of that. On the opposite side it doesn't accurately know when the boiler is cycling off when the boiler temperature max is reached.

It only knows when it's stat contacts close, and the rate of temperature ride and drop of the measured area. Finally, if you're heating from mains gas, it doesn’t know about fixed costs and standing charges. I had a look at it and it was imo only a comparative tool, in that you could compare one period to another. I use a much simpler method, I just compare the reorder dates for my fill of Kerosene, and if I've squeezed an extra month, year on year, happy days. If you're on gas for heating you have only two constants, the reading on the meter, and the knowledge that gas users are being ripped off on an astronomical scale.

Im assuming gas readings are not live online. My smart electric meter is in a year, but there are no live or daily readings available online, in fact no readings at all. My bill is currently equal to my level pay monthly standing order and the govt subs. I might owe them or they me. We're all screwed anyway.

Tado is the only thing that calls from the boiler so it should know also I add price per KWh for every bill as well as metre readings so it should be able to do those maths at least, being out consistently by a 1/3 every month is a bit ridiculous.

How does the Tado know how efficient your boiler is though?

Efficiency doesn't matter if I tell it I used x gas at y price.

Oh so the app is THAT stupid.....

A bale of Peat Briquettes to the person who can figure out the app algorithm for estimating your usage. Heres what I know.

in the 'Settings/Energy IQ' you can submit either Meter Readings or 'Heating Bills'. you decide the dates and frequency, and the M3 or KWH rate in €. You could submit 12 for the last 12 months, Feb 1st 2022 to Jan 31st 2023, a month at a time, or 6 bi-monthly etc.

What is the difference between Meter Reading and Heating Bill? Im guessing meter reading is cumulative, the number rising with each bill, whereas Heating bill is the actual usage for the period of the bill. Is there a difference? There may be. Im guessing 'Heating Bill' is taken as the exact Unit consumption of your heating, (They ask that you leave out standing charges). Meter Reading seems to be the same then, but it would include other gas usage such as cooking, and HW from Direct HW boilers, which are the norm in Europe. Does it estimate these out if you submit your historical usage as meter readings? That would account for the third difference. If you submit 12 moths readings, and there is a reasonable consumption shown during the summer, which does not match the ON times of your Tado rooms, it's going to estimate these as other non heating consumption.

Does it use your boiler data? you may have entered your boiler brand and model when first signing up to Tado. This does not appear in Energy IQ, either in the Tab on the app home page, or in Settings/Energy IQ. It does however appear in Settings/Care and Protect/Boiler, where you can edit the exact model, and tag Underfloor heating if you have it. Remarkably, they have my Boiler to the make and model, which I manually entered when registering all those years ago, as it was not in their database then. It is now, but it doesnt have the output though, just 'Firebird Enviromax Kitchen' but no choice of the model output subset,e.g. C20, C26, C35 etc. although these are listed in the information for the Enviromax but not selectable individually.

I doubt very much if they draw down Boiler consumption/output figures in KWH or M3 of gas to estimate your heating exclusive usage, but they may use a general assumption based on you Heating bill, or the estimated Heating portion of your meter readings.

Elsewhere on their Help I read that retrospective Meter Readings/Heating Bill entries will take about a week to be mulled over and computed to effect thier estimated saving and consumption figures. If you're only adding data this past few months, they haven't got much to go on, and no summer data either from the app or your usage entries. So maybe look closely at your Input data, enter your last 6 bi-monthly gas bills. Use Heating Bill rather than Meter reading. If you use gas only for CH and HW, look at Summer gas use and factor this out over the 6 bills. Now sit back and wait a week for the algorithm to come up with its best estimate of your heating use and compare it to actual. If your Tado has a HW timer then leave in the gas consumption, as the algorithm can see this from App use. Im going to mock up mine for a previous year based on the KW value of the oil I consume, at approx 10KWH per litre, 2000l/annum with a roughly 4 month and 8 month spread per 1000l, winter and summer. It will be meaningless as my HW is not controlled by Tado, and I have an integrated solid fuel Backboiler which heavily supplements the CH flow, cutting out the Oil boiler behind Tado's back as it were. Results should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Hey all,

Trying to help a plumber-neighbour with the tech side of a Tado install they did.

The customer ordered all the bits, so they (and a sparks) just did the install (TRVs / stats).

Setup:

Tado TRVs on pretty much every rad, bar Bathroom(s).

4 heating zones maintained from previous system (so 3 wired stats plus one wireless stat). Each stat has a dedicated valve.

They mentioned that the wireless stat receiver unit indicator light seems to come on whenever any stat calls for heat.

Otherwise they're having issues with getting rads in a Zone to call for heat.

I said I'd go down and help tomorrow on the app side, see if I can ensure rad valves A1, A2 are talking to stat A etc.

I'd say some of the issues (heat not coming on when customer expects) is how they've done the tech side but anything that jumps out?

Any advice or walk through article on setting a valve to "talk" to a specific stat and ensure that stat is turning zone valve and activating boiler?

Note: I'm fairly sure they didn't need to recreate one for one to previous setup but some of it may be due to poor access to wires to zone valve to reduce needed valves (and I guess replumbing the pipes) and the owner said they'd like to ensure they can still heat as they did previously.

My first step is just to check that the valves are all assigned to the right stat.

Then figure out the rest, I've a feeling soem are set to the wireless receiver.

Either that or could all the other stats be linked to the wireless receiver and sending it signals by mistake?

Post edited by WildCardDoW on

Check that the 'Zone Controller' for each zone stat is the actual stat itself, and not the wireless stat or it's ext kit device. In "Settings/Rooms and Devices/ " note the Zone name, stat and its serial no. then open its settings by tapping the Right Arrow ->, and at the bottom of these settings check that the "Zone Controller' for that stat is the same serial number as the stat. If the serial number is say that of the wireless stat/ext kit then that wired stat will trigger the extension kit relay when turned up, but not its own relay and consequently will not open it's zone valve. All 4 stats should have their own serial no. as their zone controller. This is easily tested by turning up each stat in turn and observing if it opens it's motorised zone valve.

With this wiring correct and each wall stat opens only it's own zone valve, you next need to ensure that the smart TRVs in a distinct plumbed zone are using the Zone Controller serial number of the stat for that zone as their 'Zone Controller'. Thus ensures that when a smart TRV is turned up and opens, it also wirelessy triggers the correct zone stat for its plumbed zone, so that the correct motorised valve opens and the boiler will fire.

Note that when a wired stat (or a wireless stst plus ext kit) is acting as the electrical relay for a smart TRV to open the motorised valve and fire the boiler by virtue of the relay in the motorised valve, this will take place regardless of the status of the zone stat itself. It may be turned down and it's relay off, but will close the relay in response to a TRV which uses it to open the zone valve and fire the boiler.

A final word on radiators with smart TRVs which are situated in the same location as the wired wall stat. You may have, say, 4 bedroom radiators and a landing radiator. Generally, the radiator in the same location as the wall stat will not have a TRV, as this would mean two thermostats trying to control the same physical heating area. Normal practice is to have this rad open and providing the heat source to govern the operation of the co-located stat. The other rads then heat as a consequence of the main zone stat, and are temperature limited by their normal TRVs.

When you upgrade these passive TRVs to smart ones which can call the zone and boiler through the zone stat, it is possible to put a smart TRV on the radiator in the zone stat location, say, landing or master bedroom, but in this case the smart trv is added as a device to the same zone name as the star, and is not configured as its own measuring device Iintead the zone stat is, ( you will be able to chose which device is the measuring device for the TRV), so that TRV just opens and closes when its wired zone stat is turned up, but does not use its own Internal temperature measuring sensor. This arrangement give full independent heating of each room with a TRV, and also ensures that when the wall stat is triggered by another rooms smart TRV, the zone valve will be opened, the boiler will be fired, but the TRV in the wall stat location will remain closed as the Zone stat itself may be turned down. This can take a bit of thinking about, but in the end, a TRV will only open its valve when its own internal temperature sensor passes the threshold, or the temperature measuring device assigned to it, such as the zone stat itself.

So, took a look. Bang on the money @deezell. None of the stats available as ZCs.

The issue is down to Tado. There's only one Zone Controller (a wireless receiver) available in the app. The plumber and the sparks had added all the others and it was fine but when they added the wireless receiver it wiped them all and took charge of all Zones 🙄. You can't add any of the Smart Wired Thermostats as a Zone Controller now no matter what you try. I've removed the WR, removed the stats, re added the stats etc.

Despite Smart Stats not being zone controller they are firing signals correctly to activate zone valves. However if they have wireless receiver set as Zone controller (which happened automatically) then they also fire that zone!

So the temp workaround is to set zone valves to desired temp and set stats to max temp and none of them have a zone controller right now (except the ones that are supposed to use the WR).

Not ideal, hopefully when we get onto Tado tomorrow they can fix it as mentioned by a user on this below post (manually set the stats as Zone Controller):

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/13073/my-v3-setup-is-not-properly-supporting-zones

Tado config generally assumed a Main Stat, and may be assuming all other stats to be sensor stats for TRVs. This is what appears to have happened, but Tado support will configure each stat as the zone controller in its own zone or 'Room'. They are closing their own relay anyway, which will oen that zone's valve and call the boiler, but you need to be able to call that zone also from a TRV that's located in the zone.

Their logic is a bit convoluted, normally they will treat a TRV setup as a single master zone, as with a full TRV implementation you don't really need the zone valves, you just have all TRVs set to use the main stat or its ext kit as the sole means of firing the boiler. The TRVs are all then zones in their own right. You can use the wall stats as just sensors for better temperature reading for co located stats. When they are configured as a sensor, they wouldn't close their own relay as it's assumed they are not wired. There are more complex settings available directly in the stats themselves, programmed by pressing the stat buttons. There are installer charts for these configs, but they are tricky to understand, and I think there has been some change to the logic since the new ext kit was introduced. The easiest thing is to describe what you want and they'll push the config to it.

What you are saying is that the wireless receiver was the only choice for zone controller, but the wired stats operated anyway as their mechanical relay was still active. If you tap on the zone controller Heading and Serial no in the stat setup, it should open the chooser for zone controller like this.

I've only one wired stat and TRVs so I've only one to choose from. If this doesn't let you choose the zone controller S/N of the wired stats, you can choose 'No Zone Controller', and the wired stat should still operate the motorised valve and fire the boiler, but without closing the ext kit relay. You would still need the choice of Zone Controller for the TRVs, unless you just open all the motorised valves permanently using their latch lever, and then the TRVs will fire the boiler using the ext kit. If you don't have a full TRV setup as is often the case you would need to retain the individual general stat controlled zones in order to heat open radiators with no smart TRVs in those zones (though such rads will heat for any TRV cslk within that zone anyway). I assume when adding the stats you placed them into their own zones, or 'Rooms' as Tado refers to them . Any devices placed into the same room will all follow that single timed schedule, and should use that room's stat as their zone controller by default, without any choice to change.

• Advertisement

Ha, bang on for everything.

They were able to force the changes from their side and now all stats can be selected as Zone Controller and can control their one "Room" as well as the radiators in other rooms on that same zone valve.

Now just to ensure the device measuring the heat of the room is the right one and handle offsets for some of them.

My pet peeve of it, already, is once devices are grouped to a room there's no individual device control.

For example if I have two valves in Room A, wouldn't it be good / efficient to allow me to only heat Rad A1 - depending on room / rad layout?

Post edited by WildCardDoW on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifem11

just a thanks for Deezell and Wildcard who answered questions about my hive set up back in October. I could only put on the upstairs while heating downstairs post a bord Gais Hive installation which was diving me insane… on your advice I got an electrician and he sorted it out. He’s actually just focusing on Hive work now as he says not many people want to do it, and he’s finding lots of situations like mine where the install has taken functionally away.

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

Hi there ...this defo looks like the board that I need.

Just had a new 32kw system.gas boiler installed (ideal vogue max). It comes with a WiFi 2 ch. Controller that plugs into a prewired connector.

Post renovation, I have now 5 zones (previously 3).

Zone 1 top floor

Zone 2 middle floor

Zone 3 ground floor

Zone 4 HW

Zone 5 Extension

I previously had an inspirehomeautomation.co.uk setup that used 3 wireless stats that talked to a gateway to control valves and fire boiler. Find this to be reliable and easy to use.

So how can I use my old controller and stats (cost circa £450) for zones 2, 3 and 5) and the provided Halo controller in parallel for Zones 1 & 4.

Any other recommendations for a 5 Zone controller welcome.

Incontacted Ideal Heating and they were of no use....suggesting all 32Kw should only go to zones or to wire the Zones together such that they all open at the same time...honestly.

Many thanks.

You can put the TRVS in a 'Room' of their own and give them their own schedule. The Zone controller for these TRVs will still be the stat which controls their hot flow zone valve

What brand was the receiver relay and wireless stats provided by Inspired. Are they currently disconnected. Is your current system just one CH (all CH zones combined) and the HW zone? Or is the Inspired system still hooked up.

Hiya. The stats are inspire proprietary stats in that they manufacture them....see pic.

They are all still on I.e. batteries are in but the gateway reciever is powered down at this time.and is diclsconnected from old boiler.

My current old system was 3 separate plumbed zones (top , middle , ground) each with a mech valve. Note the hot water tank was NOT connected to boiler. The 3 zone for CH only.

New system is a 5 zone pressurised system with HW and Extension zones added

You don't say if you currently have 5 zone control, but I'm guessing the inspire still opens the three valves, but you have to coincide this with a call to fire the boiler from the proprietary wifi zone device built into the Ideal boiler. Its unfortunate that you choose a boiler with a closed firing system. A standard switched (SL) live trigger in the boiler would have allowed the simple reconnection of your existing 3 zones' motorised valve relays' connections from the old boiler to the new, with the addition of the relays of the two extra valves, HW and extension. These 5 live signals are simply joined onto a single wire which goes to the boiler SL inputs and fires it in the event of any valve being opened by its timer/ stat. You could probably have got a CH stat plus HW timer from inspired, or used any other 2 zone system like Tado receiver, Hive, etc. It may be possible to wire a switched live (SL) boiler call in tandem with the calls from the ideal WiFi unit, I'm not confident, but I'd need to do a bit of reading on this, and Ideal's response does not inspire much hope. You can almost certainly return your new boiler to a standard SL triggered input, which will be the 5 outputs from the 5 zone valve relays. Actually, how does the boiler wufu receiver module address it's two zone valves, are there some control wires from the boiler wifi unit back to them. I'll look this up.

If you decide to dump the boiler wifi module, get a refund on it. You just need a 2 zone receiver with a CH and HW relay to the two new zone valves. The hive two zone wireless is about €110 from Screwfix All output from the zone valves built in relays are the combined to fire the boiler, this is know as S plan wiring. You could buy a hive CH plus HW stat and two channel receiver, then you could buy a further 3 hive wireless stat and single zone receivers to give you the same smart system over all five zones. Selk the inspired kit You could achieve the same with Drayton wiser wireless, or as I said, add two more Inspired and another two channel gateway, if you're happy with its credentials and functionality. ( I've never heard of it in reference to smart heating systems). I'll take a look at the manual for the ideal, the wifi unit is always an add on on these.

Yeah. I considered this.

It's not my setup but I became concerned about:

The Zone Controller / stat is in the hall, with one rad with Smart Valve nearby.

I figured the danger is, if the valve considers the room warm enough it will close. But the stat may remain open calling for heat (maybe because its located closer further away from the rad) - so boiler is running for no need. Now this would only happen for the periods where the stat is configured to be on but not ideal.

I think they're happy with me having grouped them - I said the main point of putting a smart valve on the rad there was so when they don't want to heat that room they don't have to but can still heat the rads in other rooms nearby.

Might have to go down again with the plumber and walk them through it as well as explain scheduling because it's a bit erratic:

1. Has one room heating for 45 minutes only - so need to look into enabling the early call feature, but also explain that it won't go from ~16 to ~20 in that time.
    2. Bedroom only starts heating at 8AM (wake up time), I'd assume 7 / 7:30 is better.

• Advertisement

That is clear. Many thanks for taking the time.

It would be great to either a) wire in a SL in tandem b) return the boiler to a standard SL triggered input.

If you can see which is possible Iand share I can follow that direction.

Thx again

Advertisement