Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

2-17 so to speak as they say:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105629563&postcount=9997

2-18 so to speak as they say:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109010494&postcount=2961

It was also featured in broadsheet.ie, though sadly the comments seem to be gone from underneath it now....
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/rte-salary/

You've done your country a great service there Butters.

There are a couple of articles online that state that Tubridy was set to take 6 weeks off because he had been on a "bonkers run" since September (in other words, 9 months 'work' warrants 6 weeks holidays)

But Callan definitely said this morning that Toyman was due back next week. A change of plan, it would seem.

Nice of him just to take the 3 weeks all the same. He should treat himself to a nice mid-term break in October to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You've done your country a great service there Butters.

There are a couple of articles online that state that Tubridy was set to take 6 weeks off because he had been on a "bonkers run" since September (in other words, 9 months 'work' warrants 6 weeks holidays)

But Callan definitely said this morning that Toyman was due back next week. A change of plan, it would seem.

Nice of him just to take the 3 weeks all the same. He should treat himself to a nice mid-term break in October to make up for it.

Tubs has already had a few weeks off before and during COVID - quite a feat in itself if you think about it, before this latest break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

"it's been a bonkers run since September"...

Neck like a jockey's bollix coming out with that stuff. And if that's not enough insincere, verbal scutter, here's another one:

"I'm leaving to recharge and regenerate and to reflect and to get my head together. Because when we come back for radio and television duties I think we're going to have a big job on our hands when we get back for all sorts of reasons"

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rtes-ryan-tubridy-announces-leaving-22375911

"it's been a bonkers run since September"...

Neck like a jockey's bollix coming out with that stuff. And if that's not enough insincere, verbal scutter, here's another one:

"I'm leaving to recharge and regenerate and to reflect and to get my head together. Because when we come back for radio and television duties I think we're going to have a big job on our hands when we get back for all sorts of reasons"

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rtes-ryan-tubridy-announces-leaving-22375911

Imagine if these deluded twits had to work a 40+ hour week (plus another 10+ commuting) with 20-25 days off for a fraction of the remuneration like the rest of us?

Imagine if these deluded twits had to work a 40+ hour week (plus another 10+ commuting) with 20-25 days off for a fraction of the remuneration like the rest of us?
    Well, maybe they pay for it in other ways. Few of us would tolerate being described as "deluded twits" on an internet forum, as part of our job description.

Not aiming this remark at you, but it would serve us well to remember there is a real/ ordinary person at the other end of our criticism. We can robustly disagree with someone without making them an object of ridicule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You should have got a job in radio, dude. Even though I’m not sure impotent rage and mindless criticism would be a solid cornerstone for a mid-morning light entertainment and lifestyle show.

Well, maybe they pay for it in other ways. Few of us would tolerate being described as "deluded twits" on an internet forum, as part of our job description.

Not aiming this remark at you, but it would serve us well to remember this a real/ ordinary person at the other end of our criticism. We can robustly disagree with someone without making them an object of ridicule.

If I was working a few hours a week, being ridiculously overpaid for same, and enjoying many ancillary benefits of a post gifted to me I’d like to think I’d have enough cop on not to be moaning publicly about how tired I am and in need of a break when some people are working more hours in a week than I manage in a month for a fraction of what I earn, not least front line workers in a pandemic. For that reason I think the term “deluded twits” is appropriate, if only for the purpose that one of the many people in RTE to whom it applies might reflect a little before coming out with such nonsense. I actually think deluded twits is rather polite compared to what most would call them.

Would you prefer “detached”?

And I’m sorry but people like Mr. Duffy and Tubs invite ridicule with their behaviour; case in point Mr. Duffy tactlessly and shamelessly promoting his death buke again today online beneath his tribute text to John Hume.

You should have got a job in radio, dude. Even though I’m not sure impotent rage and mindless criticism would be a solid cornerstone for a mid-morning light entertainment and lifestyle show.

Impotent rage and mindless criticism? Ok “dude”.

Not sure the radio is the best form of media for some people to be consuming. Most be exhausting to be that angry so early in the day....

Not sure the radio is the best form of media for some people to be consuming. Most be exhausting to be that angry so early in the day....

Why do you think I’m angry? I’m absolutely not. I’ll also decide for myself which media I choose to consume if that’s ok, “dude”?

• Advertisement

And I’m sorry but people like Mr. Duffy and Tubs invite ridicule
    I'm deliberately not going to mod this discussion as I've given a clearly partial opinion, but nobody deserves ridicule or humiliation. It is possible to *robustly* disagree with, or criticise, a person without resorting to personally demeaning behaviour that (frankly) runs pretty close to bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I'm not entirely sure you're getting it.

Why do you think I’m angry? I’m absolutely not. I’ll also decide for myself which media I choose to consume if that’s ok, “dude”?

There’s thousands of radio shows and 000’s of podcasts one could listen to, but people choose to listen to shows they despise, hosted by people they loathe just so they can give out about them.

Seems weird is all. Like I’d rather get a 5-finger prostate exam than watch Piers Morgan, so I don’t watch him or follow him on Twitter.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure you're getting it.

I’d agree.

There’s thousands of radio shows and 000’s of podcasts one could listen to, but people choose to listen to shows they despise, hosted by people they loathe just so they can give out about them.

Seems weird is all. Like I’d rather get a 5-finger prostate exam than watch Piers Morgan, so I don’t watch him or follow him on Twitter.

You know it’s within the forum rules that criticism is as welcome as praise, right?

And despite what you might think, I don’t listen solely to criticise.

I listen to an awful lot of American podcasts btw, particularly sports and culture themed, but the occasional political one too.

And that’s exactly why I gave up listening to Ryan. But there’s no way I am going to give up reading, and occasionally commentating on, this thread. :D.

Call it a form of therapy, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here this morning, I think I’ll stay away for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I really like Ryan.

I listen to him when he’s on - I enjoy the show.

He seems like a decent person , and I believe he did some valuable public service at the start of the pandemic on the late late show.

If I didn’t like him I wouldn’t listen to him or watch the late late .

And I certainly wouldn’t listen just so I can come on a message board and give out about it .
    What’s the saying about anger and someone living in your head rent free ?

I couldn’t imagine he gives a flying moped what any of you think .... but feel free to vent here .••

Hope you feel better

doughef wrote: »
    I really like Ryan.

I listen to him when he’s on - I enjoy the show.

He seems like a decent person , and I believe he did some valuable public service at the start of the pandemic on the late late show.

If I didn’t like him I wouldn’t listen to him or watch the late late .

And I certainly wouldn’t listen just so I can come on a message board and give out about it .
    What’s the saying about anger and someone living in your head rent free ?

I couldn’t imagine he gives a flying moped what any of you think .... but feel free to vent here .••

Hope you feel better

What colour is the flying moped?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Decent item on Peter Sellers, a bit miffed though that the guy dismissed The Pink Panther films so quickly - ‘A Shot In The Dark’ is superb, from start to finish :)

• Advertisement

Decent item on Peter Sellers, a bit miffed though that the guy dismissed The Pink Panther films so quickly - ‘A Shot In The Dark’ is superb, from start to finish :)

Oh I must listen back, I love Sellers. Thanks for the heads up WM. I much prefer Callan to Tubs, just haven't had a chance to listen this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Oh I must listen back, I love Sellers. Thanks for the heads up WM. I much prefer Callan to Tubs, just haven't had a chance to listen this week.

“Well...that felt ‘geud’!”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair to Bryan, he said he'd be back in mid August when he left, I heard it myself.

Think he even gave the date. I posted about it at the time, commenting it was 3 weeks or so of a break.

MOD - seeing that I am in the seat of moderation of this discussion I am not happy with the personal abuse of posters I see here. I have not been as active on the threads recently for personal reasons but I am not allowing a situation I now see In front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

''I couldn’t imagine he gives a flying moped what any of you think .... but feel free to vent here.''

That's the thing. He does. Very, very much. Being liked and getting away with it day by day is his modus operandi. He needs to be liked. He hates 'mean' people who 'bully' him off twitter etc. Introspection and scrutiny are pretty basic for anyone in his shoes. Not for him though.

Spouting vague inanities about this, that and t'other should be enough for the great unwashed to be happy, but alas for Ryan, irritating 'messers' can see through his anaemic piffle and pithy pointlessness. I'm vapid, rich and entitled and you should respect me, doesn't wash anymore.

People here, and with anywhere else, are allowed express disquiet and disgust at his inordinate wage for his disproportion lack of talent and dim perspectives, just as you allowed express that you like Ryan. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Caught the end of the Tubridy show this morning ... what was all that about?? He had someone on talking about meeting Peter Sellers and being on the LLS with him. He shut him down several times, didn't let him finish a sentence ... I was cringing listening to it. Awful interview. Switched over to Marty In The Morning!!:)

Each to their own Toys.

FYP.

Wait, he mentioned his beloved Toyshow in July.

FYP.

Wait, he mentioned his beloved Toyshow in July.

In July? He mentions it almost daily, certainly weekly, all year round.

Is Little Lord Fauntleroy back today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Yea, Toy show mentioned and what a texter called the 'Ryan Tubridy west of ireland road trip'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement