Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

NetGear X8 D8500 - tri-band AC router

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well I’m on the 360mb package and I’m getting close to that on wired and WiFi consistently now.

Is that with the Hub in modem mode and your own Router?

What router are you using?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

oneway2 wrote: »
    Is that with the Hub in modem mode and your own Router?

What router are you using?

Yeah, hub is in modem mode and I’m using the TP-Link deco Mesh system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone else using Asus AiMesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have dd-wrt running on an old TP-Link router, this allows me to have multiple SSIDs for different devices, firewall rules etc. Do any of these mesh systems allow any sort of advanced setup like this? From what I can see they mostly have very basic configuration options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Don't replace your router - just add a Mesh WiFi system, and turn off the WiFi in the eir router. Since you have wiring in place, you should consider going for a system that uses the wiring, to give you gigabit speeds at each access point. You might also consider going for access points that are powered over the Ethernet cabling (POE) - this will avoid the need for mains power at each node, and might allow you to position the nodes discretely, high on the walls or ceilings for better coverage. I can recommend the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite.

Mesh systems give seamless WiFi coverage, with portable devices handing over smoothly as they move from one zone to the next. Very useful for services like WiFi Calling that require no breaks as you move between rooms.

I wouldn't recommend change your eir router, unless you have the IT Security knowledge and discipline to keep your replacement router patched with security patches to protect against new vulnerabilities that arise.

Hi. I bought a Ubiquiti UAC AC PRO a couple of years ago. Its hooked into my router, which is close by. The signal is strong everywhere apart from one room. I'd like to use the AC PRO mesh capability to get better signal in that room. What should product should I buy? Needs to be wireless, i don't have ethernet, wiring is very old too. Is it the AC Mesh I need? If so, is it likely to pick up the signal of the AC PRO in the room with the weak signal, or would I need to put it somewhere in the middle of the current router and the bad room? Or test a little what works best?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭macker64

Yep, I'm running an Asus AI Mesh setup on the Merlin firmware and its very impressive.

Main router is an RT-AC88U linked to RT-AC68U times 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Hi. I bought a Ubiquiti UAC AC PRO a couple of years ago. Its hooked into my router, which is close by. The signal is strong everywhere apart from one room. I'd like to use the AC PRO mesh capability to get better signal in that room. What should product should I buy? Needs to be wireless, i don't have ethernet, wiring is very old too. Is it the AC Mesh I need? If so, is it likely to pick up the signal of the AC PRO in the room with the weak signal, or would I need to put it somewhere in the middle of the current router and the bad room? Or test a little what works best?

The AC Pro is an access point, it does not have a third radio to do mesh. Even if it did, mesh would not work with a very weak wireless signal, you'd need to add another mesh node halfway to improve the coverage. This is how wireless mesh works.

Amplifi is the Ubiquiti mesh system, it's known as not being great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

loyatemu wrote: »
    I have dd-wrt running on an old TP-Link router, this allows me to have multiple SSIDs for different devices, firewall rules etc. Do any of these mesh systems allow any sort of advanced setup like this? From what I can see they mostly have very basic configuration options.

You could connect the mesh system in AP mode so that the router will still handle all of the complex stuff.

degsie wrote: »
    You could connect the mesh system in AP mode so that the router will still handle all of the complex stuff.

still wouldn't be able to do multiple SSID, but I guess I'd need enterprise level kit for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1 of the main pluses for mesh systems is having just 1 SSID. Personally if I want to lock things down I do it on an IP level and do some routing configuration on an IP level but I haven't had to do that for a long time so I don't know how I'd go about it on a mesh setup, in fact I don't even know if it'd be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Some feedback on the BT whole home, a friend had taken it off my hands, it’s didn’t last long and was having issues. I went to check and it had packed in, back to amazon as fault. Surprised it was soo poor. Anyway he is going to replace with linksys dual band, two storey house and not massive requirement

macker64 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm running an Asus AI Mesh setup on the Merlin firmware and its very impressive.

Main router is an RT-AC88U linked to RT-AC68U times 2 :D

I setup Mesh with 2 x RT-AC68U last week.

Initial signs very good. Where I was getting 5 Mbps I was then getting 25 - 30.

But after a few days, node showing as offline in the Asus app. I had thought firmware on node was up to date, but apparently not. So updated firmware, rebooted and all seemed well with devices connecting to node. Didn't last long and now node showing offline again. I moved the node closer to the router and also took devices off 5G to leave the channel for router/node, but doesn't seem to have made a difference as node still shows as offline.

But, Speedtest still telling me that I am getting 25 Mbps consistently. Feels like the node is online but app says no....

Have subsequently found plenty of discussion online saying that AiMesh doesn't work well.

Maybe flashing with Merlin is a solution? There doesn't seem to be any configuration on the AC68U I can mess around with (unlike the AC86U).

By the way, ethernet backhaul not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭macker64

The Merlin firmware is definitely superior to the original firmware and has worked flawlessly for me since installation 1 year ago.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

By the way, ethernet backhaul not an option.

Not so fast...

A friend suggested that I try ethernet using powerline adaptors and what do you know it actually works. Now connected again but will need to wait and see if it's stable and if speeds remain underwhelming which initial tests suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

I brought the TP Link Deco M3 (3 Pack) and have set it up and have some questions ye might be able to help me with.

FTTH with a vodafone gigabox (150MB) I have a raspberry PI Hole setup as well that handles the DCHP. Lots of IOT installed (KASA plugs, wireless cams - wyze cams. 2 storey house with the gigabox and the main Deco unit upstairs.
    The main deco is connected to the gigabox via ethernet cable and new wifi network set up. I put the 2nd unit downstairs in the hall and its has meshed with the deco upstairs. The 3rd unit I placed in the living room /kitchen and it is meshed with the DECO in the hall. However, I have a CAT 5 cable connected to the deco in the kitchen to take advantage of the ethernet backhaul, but the cable is part of my main network and feeds my switch.

Do I have to connect this cat 5 cable to main DECO to take advantage of the back haul ?

The main deco unit is acting a router and handing out IPs addresses to beat the band and almost certainly clashing with the DCHP server on the PI HOLE. Should I turn off the DCHP server on the main Deco?(Can this be done)

How do you change the role of each DECO unit between acting as an access point or router?

Lots of questions I know but any help appreciated.

Regards

Liam

slayer91 wrote: »
    Hi,

I brought the TP Link Deco M3 (3 Pack) and have set it up and have some questions ye might be able to help me with.

FTTH with a vodafone gigabox (150MB) I have a raspberry PI Hole setup as well that handles the DCHP. Lots of IOT installed (KASA plugs, wireless cams - wyze cams. 2 storey house with the gigabox and the main Deco unit upstairs.
    The main deco is connected to the gigabox via ethernet cable and new wifi network set up. I put the 2nd unit downstairs in the hall and its has meshed with the deco upstairs. The 3rd unit I placed in the living room /kitchen and it is meshed with the DECO in the hall. However, I have a CAT 5 cable connected to the deco in the kitchen to take advantage of the ethernet backhaul, but the cable is part of my main network and feeds my switch.

Do I have to connect this cat 5 cable to main DECO to take advantage of the back haul ?

The main deco unit is acting a router and handing out IPs addresses to beat the band and almost certainly clashing with the DCHP server on the PI HOLE. Should I turn off the DCHP server on the main Deco?(Can this be done)

How do you change the role of each DECO unit between acting as an access point or router?

Lots of questions I know but any help appreciated.

Regards

Liam

You should bridge that gigabox leaving you with only one router, the tp-link. Connect everything to this tp-link main router, you will need to disable one DHCP server. The tp-link node can be connected to the main router through a switch

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Looking for some advice. I've read the whole thread and there's nearly too many options.

Living in what was a 3-bed semi. It now has the attic converted and an extension out the back. The wifi signal in the attic and at the back of the extension is poor. We have SIRO/Vodafone 1GB and the entry point and router (gigabox) are located in the front corner of the house.

I'd like to setup a mesh wifi system for better coverage. From my reading of the thread, if the mesh wifi system has an ethernet backhaul then that's a better setup. I can easily and neatly run external cat6 cable from the front corner to the attic and the extension of the house.

In the attic I'd like to have a satellite point mounted on the ceiling and powered by POE. That should cover the attic and first floor.
    In the extension, I'd like a satellite point and could be wall mounted or on a shelf (ceiling not an option). It could be powered by POE or there is a socket but it's a bit awkward.

Can anyone advise of what my options are for hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Can you move your router to a more central point in the house? That might be the cheapest solution. Failing that look at Ubiquiti AC-Lite APs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Most 2 or 3 unit mesh systems will work well
    How big is your house
    Prices should be dropping as new wifi 6 mesh systems are out
    There are lots of mesh system reviews out there but even cheap ones will work well
    My router in the middle of my house does everything so I have not used mesh yet
    WiFi access points will slow down your router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

garo wrote: »
    Can you move your router to a more central point in the house? That might be the cheapest solution. Failing that look at Ubiquiti AC-Lite APs.
    bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Most 2 or 3 unit mesh systems will work well
    How big is your house
    Prices should be dropping as new wifi 6 mesh systems are out
    There are lots of mesh system reviews out there but even cheap ones will work well
    My router in the middle of my house does everything so I have not used mesh yet
    WiFi access points will slow down your router

Thanks for the responses. I can't move the router to the middle of the house. With the layout of the house it wouldn't really be practical. If I was to move it, it would require cabling to be done anyway. The house with the additions is probably about 2000 sq. ft. Not particularly big.

The signal in the extension isn't actually that bad really. I was thinking since I'm doing work with cables etc I may as well add an access point in there.

Having read a bit more and done a few speed tests, my current thinking is a better router to replace the Vodafone Gigabit router and then one Ubiquiti AC-Lite AP in the attic. That should have me well covered.

Any recommendations on a router to replace the VF one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I got the TP-Link AC2300 from Komplett for 109. Pretty happy as now I get a 5GHz signal in the attic. Didn't with the Virgin media Hub 3.0

recently installed the TP-Link M4 system, which is £100 on Amazon. Very happy with it, reaches all parts of the house, connection is fast and stable and the app is vary easy to use and allows good control over the kids WiFi access. Easy to install too, just plug the main unit into the Virgin hub, then put the other units in locations where they can talk to the main unit.

recently installed the TP-Link M4 system, which is £100 on Amazon. Very happy with it, reaches all parts of the house, connection is fast and stable and the app is vary easy to use and allows good control over the kids WiFi access. Easy to install too, just plug the main unit into the Virgin hub, then put the other units in locations where they can talk to the main unit.

How do you have the units connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Looking at this myself for my new built future home. You can’t go wrong with the price, and I’ve used tplink devices before (and still using) and I’ve always been happy with them

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    How do you have the units connected?

they connect to each other wirelessly, the base unit (which is any of them, they're all the same) is wired to the VM hub. They're not tri-band though, they're just using standard WiFi bands to connect to each other.

You can can also connect them via ethernet, or powerline adaptors.

Anyone know if there's is any mesh system that is mix and match form factor, I'd like ceiling mounted upstairs, desktop in the kitchen and wall mounted in the living room. I also have Ethernet at all locations and a rackmount server so don't need routing, will be running in AP mode

Anyone know if there's is any mesh system that is mix and match form factor, I'd like ceiling mounted upstairs, desktop in the kitchen and wall mounted in the living room. I also have Ethernet at all locations and a rackmount server so don't need routing, will be running in AP mode

i recently started down the Ubiquiti UniFi route, (still leanring)
    they have different form factor APs that might suit what you're looking for.
    They also have tonnes of other stuff as you can see.
    you could need poe switch and controller depending on how many aps you need as the poe injectors might become awkward.

i recently started down the Ubiquiti UniFi route, (still leanring)
    they have different form factor APs that might suit what you're looking for.
    They also have tonnes of other stuff as you can see

Yeah, see the thing is, I've already got better. I have Mikrotik Capsman which is an AP system like Ubiquiti but without the bells and whistles. I was looking to have a play with a mesh setup by just swapping 3x APs for mesh

I've installed lots of these systems for work, I'm constantly investigating what's on the market, it's in my interest to know

• Advertisement

Yeah, see the thing is, I've already got better. I have Mikrotik Capsman which is an AP system like Ubiquiti but without the bells and whistles. I was looking to have a play with a mesh setup by just swapping 3x APs for mesh

I've installed lots of these systems for work, I'm constantly investigating what's on the market, it's in my interest to know

your understanding of this stuff is way beyond what im at so,, no problemo

Advertisement