Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

loyatemu wrote: »
    they connect to each other wirelessly, the base unit (which is any of them, they're all the same) is wired to the VM hub. They're not tri-band though, they're just using standard WiFi bands to connect to each other.

You can can also connect them via ethernet, or powerline adaptors.

Good to know. Might take a punt.

What sort of speed are you getting over WiFi when connected to the node?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Good to know. Might take a punt.

What sort of speed are you getting over WiFi when connected to the node?

I have 240mb service from Virgin, I'm getting the full 240 in the room where the base unit is, 170 in my office which is has 2 concrete walls between it and the main room.

The app shows you all the connected devices and which unit they're connected to, whether they're on 2.4ghz or 5ghz. All in all I'm really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I have 240mb service from Virgin, I'm getting the full 240 in the room where the base unit is, 170 in my office which is has 2 concrete walls between it and the main room.

The app shows you all the connected devices and which unit they're connected to, whether they're on 2.4ghz or 5ghz. All in all I'm really happy with it.

Thanks. That sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

they connect to each other wirelessly, the base unit (which is any of them, they're all the same) is wired to the VM hub. They're not tri-band though, they're just using standard WiFi bands to connect to each other.

You can can also connect them via ethernet, or powerline adaptors.

I've just bought the tp-link deco M4 triple pack (I think what you have) and planning to connect to Virgin media hub.
    Did you have to configure the hub in any way? Bridge mode etc. Or just plug and play?

I'm installing in my in-laws, in attempt to get working wi-fi to their granny flat. So the better idea I have of how I'm seeing up before I get there the better :)

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I've just bought the tp-link deco M4 triple pack (I think what you have) and planning to connect to Virgin media hub.
    Did you have to configure the hub in any way? Bridge mode etc. Or just plug and play?

I'm installing in my in-laws, in attempt to get working wi-fi to their granny flat. So the better idea I have of how I'm seeing up before I get there the better :)

plug and play - just follow the instructions included and install the app.

there's been some discussion of "double NAT" above (i.e. the Virgin hub is running NAT and then the Deco base unit is running NAT again) but I haven't seen any issues. If it does cause problems you would need to set the VM hub into bridge mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I wasn't having much luck with the Huawei WiFi Q2 Pro so last week I ordered Google Wi-Fi and well it's working flawlessly. The rear Nest camera which always dropped out several times a day for up to 15 minutes at a time has been rock steady. Pulling up a camera from a Nest Hub has it appearing much quicker than it did before. I'm delighted. Will be offloading the Huawei units now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I wasn't having much luck with the Huawei WiFi Q2 Pro so last week I ordered Google Wi-Fi and well it's working flawlessly. The rear Nest camera which always dropped out several times a day for up to 15 minutes at a time has been rock steady. Pulling up a camera from a Nest Hub has it appearing much quicker than it did before. I'm delighted. Will be offloading the Huawei units now.

What sort of speeds are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

n1ck wrote: »
    What sort of speeds are you getting?

I've gotten over 800Mbps wired and over 400Mbps wireless.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I see google have a birthday sale on today.
    22% off

I'm kind of torn between the Nest system and the TP Link M4... Any thoughts from more experienced people?

mik_da_man wrote: »
    22% off

I'm kind of torn between the Nest system and the TP Link M4... Any thoughts from more experienced people?

I have Sky broadband, turns out it does not play well with mesh systems as they limit the settings on the router and you can't use it in bridge mode.. ffs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

I have Sky broadband, turns out it does not play well with mesh systems as they limit the settings on the router and you can't use it in bridge mode.. ffs..

I have literally just ordered the M4 and have sky broadband so this post alarmed me but I read back over the bargain alert thread and someone there said it works fine with sky

bobbyg wrote: »
    I have literally just ordered the M4 and have sky broadband so this post alarmed me but I read back over the bargain alert thread and someone there said it works fine with sky

I was referring to the Nest in particular, loads of posts on the Sky forums about it. The TP Link one may be ok.
    Some issues with double natting which would affect gaming, smart home devices and possibly VPNs
    Didn't want to risk it with the working from home.

Edit. To link has issues too.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Access-point-issues-on-Deco-M4/td-p/3338664

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

I was referring to the Nest in particular, loads of posts on the Sky forums about it. The TP Link one may be ok.
    Some issues with double natting which would affect gaming, smart home devices and possibly VPNs
    Didn't want to risk it with the working from home.

Edit. To link has issues too.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Access-point-issues-on-Deco-M4/td-p/3338664

I've just signed up to 12 months with sky was on the brink of switching to Eir but sky convinced me to stay. I have a 14 day cooling off period and should have the M4 midweek to test so will report back. May have to switch to Eir after all

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

22% off

Where is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Where is this?

https://store.google.com/

bobbyg wrote: »
    I've just signed up to 12 months with sky was on the brink of switching to Eir but sky convinced me to stay. I have a 14 day cooling off period and should have the M4 midweek to test so will report back. May have to switch to Eir after all

I don't have personal experience of the issues, but if Sky are not allowing the hub to be used as a modem only in bridge mode then from what I've read it will cause problems.
    I think for general browsing it may be fine, but I'm still doing my homework before buying.

I'm double NATting here on VM with the M4 system, haven't seen any issues (I don't game, but my kids do and AFAIK it's all working for them).
    Work VPN works fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I've been using a Linksys Velop mesh system with my Vodafone Gigabox router with no issues at all. I've turned off wifi on the router but don't think it's gone in to bridge mode. There doesn't seem to be any impact on day to day usage. The mesh system is fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I don't have personal experience of the issues, but if Sky are not allowing the hub to be used as a modem only in bridge mode then from what I've read it will cause problems.
    I think for general browsing it may be fine, but I'm still doing my homework before buying.

FWIW....I installed 3 Deco M5's lately, had Sky out to swap the main Q box twice and they wanted to swap it again. Picture kept freezing, although my FTTH is not with Sky I ended up having to run a network cable from each 3 boxes to the Deco and disable Sky's inbuilt new system that connect the sky mini boxes..works perfect now but was a right pain and took a while to sort....it seems to be a known issue as lots of people encountering similar on Sky message boards.

FWIW....I installed 3 Deco M5's lately, had Sky out to swap the main Q box twice and they wanted to swap it again. Picture kept freezing, although my FTTH is not with Sky I ended up having to run a network cable from each 3 boxes to the Deco and disable Sky's inbuilt new system that connect the sky mini boxes..works perfect now but was a right pain and took a while to sort....it seems to be a known issue as lots of people encountering similar on Sky message boards.

Yeah, that's what I have been reading, along with the double NAT issues the Sky Q boxes create their own mesh that can conflict with a new mesh if you set it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭sundodger5

So i have the M4 system on the way as my own setup seems to need almost daily restarts. Question for the more advanced network gurus.
    I have a TP link WDR3600 as main router. This has a couple of hard drives connected for NAS. I run a wired connection to another older router beside the main PC. This acts as wireless access and the main PC is wired to this. I run a third router which is wirelessly bridged as no cable that side of the house.
    I have some home automation running and most devices have static IPs.
    Question is should i let the M4 setup just handle wireless? Or let M4 be main router and use the WDR3600 just for extra ports and NAS?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Amazon has the Eero 3 pack down to £149.50 (reduced by 99) I think there is a new version coming soon or already out. But this does seem pretty solid too.

I've just ordered this to change out my Tenka MW6.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eero-mesh-wi-fi-system-3-pack/dp/B07WHMJ6XN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eero&qid=1601386793&sr=8-1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi all.
    Looking for a small bit of help.
    My house is set up in the following way.
    Both my main PCs are directly wired to the VM router through ethernet-with other devices connected through ethernet xbox one,sky box etc

All my other devices used to connect to the same VM router using its built in wifi but the wifi was useless - less than 5mb in every room as the house is a 70s build with solid concrete internal walls!!

I just put in a mesh system last week and the difference is night and day - almost 100 meg in every room through the mesh wifi.

Now my issue - the main VM router gives out IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.xxx

The mesh wifi gives out IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx

My problem is that I cant stream to any devices on the mesh wifi network - If I allow the device to connect to the old router wifi then streaming will work.
    So I cant stream a movie from my PC(hardwired) to a Laptop (mesh wifi) - they can see each other on the network - obviously due to the IPs not being in teh same range.

Is there a work around or am I just missing something here when I did the initial setup?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Looking for a small bit of help.
    My house is set up in the following way.
    Both my main PCs are directly wired to the VM router through ethernet-with other devices connected through ethernet xbox one,sky box etc

All my other devices used to connect to the same VM router using its built in wifi but the wifi was useless - less than 5mb in every room as the house is a 70s build with solid concrete internal walls!!

I just put in a mesh system last week and the difference is night and day - almost 100 meg in every room through the mesh wifi.

Now my issue - the main VM router gives out IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.xxx

The mesh wifi gives out IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx

My problem is that I cant stream to any devices on the mesh wifi network - If I allow the device to connect to the old router wifi then streaming will work.
    So I cant stream a movie from my PC(hardwired) to a Laptop (mesh wifi) - they can see each other on the network - obviously due to the IPs not being in teh same range.

Is there a work around or am I just missing something here when I did the initial setup?

You have 2 subnets, 2 networks and double NAT. You really need one. Either bridge the VM router or set the mesh in AP mode

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You have 2 subnets, 2 networks and double NAT. You really need one. Either bridge the VM router or set the mesh in AP mode

Router is an old Cisco epc3925 that I wont give up as it just works - How do you put it into bridge mode?

Or if I have to use AP mode on the mesh will I loose any speed?

Router is an old Cisco epc3925 that I wont give up as it just works - How do you put it into bridge mode?

You'll have to Google it, I have no idea, every router is different

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Boards is your friend :D:D:D https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056758726

Once you get the mesh setup the ISP router won't matter as you'll just be using it to get to the internet everything else will be handled by the mesh.

Clareman wrote: »
    Boards is your friend :D:D:D https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056758726

Once you get the mesh setup the ISP router won't matter as you'll just be using it to get to the internet everything else will be handled by the mesh.

Will ethernet direct to the router still work?

Will ethernet direct to the router still work?

Not if it's a bridge, only the single connection to your mesh will work

• Advertisement

Im getting confused now.
    If I put the ISP router into bridge mode then the PCs that are connected directly to the router will have no connection?
    The wifi mesh I bought doesnt do AP mode from what I can remember.

Anything here in the manual help ?

https://static.mercusys.com/manual/1910080045_Halo_S12_UG_REV1.0.020191227055946.pdf

Advertisement