Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 Off Season Thread

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Good game for Steven Matz today - 6 IP, 9 K, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Good game for Steven Matz today - 6 IP, 9 K, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB.

Even better one by Verlander.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

A random thought I had

NBA - 82 games per team, 30 teams, 16 make it to playoffs, best of 7 series
    NHL - 82 games per team, 31 teams, 16 make it to playoffs, best of 7 series
    NFL - 16 games per team, 32 teams, 12 make it to playoffs, elimination all the way
    MLB - 162 games per team, 30 teams, 10 make it to playoffs, WC elimination, best of 5/7 otherwise.

Not only are MLB playoffs the hardest to get into (based on number of teams vs. playoff spots) but the sample size of games is much smaller too (in comparison).

I wonder if a shorter regular season and a longer playoff season would benefit. I know from having lived in North America for a few years that the hype increases significantly around a sport when the playoffs are on, regardless of who is in it.

A random thought I had

NBA - 82 games per team, 30 teams, 16 make it to playoffs, best of 7 series
    NHL - 82 games per team, 31 teams, 16 make it to playoffs, best of 7 series
    NFL - 16 games per team, 32 teams, 12 make it to playoffs, elimination all the way
    MLB - 162 games per team, 30 teams, 10 make it to playoffs, WC elimination, best of 5/7 otherwise.

Not only are MLB playoffs the hardest to get into (based on number of teams vs. playoff spots) but the sample size of games is much smaller too (in comparison).

I wonder if a shorter regular season and a longer playoff season would benefit. I know from having lived in North America for a few years that the hype increases significantly around a sport when the playoffs are on, regardless of who is in it.

It's all history and tradition with baseball though isn't it? The purists would go mad. Having said that, there's now a wild card and inter league play which would have got head's exploding when they were first mentioned. There was talk of going back to a 154 game season but I don't think that ever got any serious traction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Alex Cobb finally off the board. Going to the Orioles. 4 years for 60 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

ShyMets wrote: »
    Alex Cobb finally off the board. Going to the Orioles. 4 years for 60 million

Decent money for Cobb and a good starter for the Orioles.

It's all history and tradition with baseball though isn't it? The purists would go mad. Having said that, there's now a wild card and inter league play which would have got head's exploding when they were first mentioned. There was talk of going back to a 154 game season but I don't think that ever got any serious traction.

The irony being that the game evolved rapidly in its first 50/60 years. It was only in the 20/30's that the game crystalized into the form we see today and even then changes still occurred, albeit smaller and more slowly.

Tradition is important but it should be used as barrier to prevent changes which could enhance and grow the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The long games are due to the darn commercials. Cut those down, the elapsed time drops. It's the one thing they won't do, though.

Wow just a week till the season starts. Can't wait, actually. Need some thoughts of warm spring days in chilly Corca Dhuibhne. And my Mets haven't been an abject disaster this spring - though, there's a week left and at least 1 recently acquired player (Vargas) who will likely start the season on the DL after surgery to his non-pitching hand. Just can't win; he was the guy brought in to fill in for the other injury prone starters.

Funny game, Jacob DeGrom's an ace, reasonably reliable, going to earn a huge payday someday. The guy they brought up to the majors on the exact same day, Rafael Montero, will be lucky to be on any team at the start of the season, out of options and just not good enough to cut it despite many opportunities. Montero was a more highly rated prospect then, too. Watch him end up elsewhere and figure it out. So much luck around success in baseball.

Not sure what to expect going into this season.
    Dodgers haven't added anyone of note (apart from Kemp)

I'm probably still disappointed from the World Series :(

Anyway, once it gets started I'll be all over it again. Strange how I can survive 5 months with no baseball, but once the season starts, I get annoyed when the Dodgers have a day off

Anyone with BT/Eir Sports, they're showing the Astros Nationals now and the Twins Yankees game at 5pm Thursday.

• Advertisement

In some magnificent news, I jokingly mentioned to me finaceé that the Dodgers are playing the Angels on July 15th in Dodgers Stadium. We arrive in Orange County on July 14th on our honeymoon, and now she is determined that I go to the game, and she'll spend the day on walking around Laguna Beach without me :)

Day 1 of our honeymoon, and we'll abandon each other for about 8 hours
    Plenty of tickets available. Should I see if I can get better value tickets from someone like stubhub?

In some magnificent news, I jokingly mentioned to me finaceé that the Dodgers are playing the Angels on July 15th in Dodgers Stadium. We arrive in Orange County on July 14th on our honeymoon, and now she is determined that I go to the game, and she'll spend the day on walking around Laguna Beach without me :)

Day 1 of our honeymoon, and we'll abandon each other for about 8 hours
    Plenty of tickets available. Should I see if I can get better value tickets from someone like stubhub?

That’s great and also sets a precedent for going future trips to games.....!!!!

What’s the catch though? I convinced my wife to go to a game on a couple of trips to the States but had to go to a Cirque de Soliel show and Phantom of the Opera in return.

Would she not come along too though? Even if she had no interest, sitting in the sun with a few beers is a nice way to spend an afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

What’s the catch though? I convinced my wife to go to a game on a couple of trips to the States but had to go to a Cirque de Soliel show and Phantom of the Opera in return.

Would she not come along too though? Even if she had no interest, sitting in the sun with a few beers is a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Especially if it turns out the Angels and Dodgers are both good this season. This could be a cracking series, plus they play a week earlier at the Angels place.

I would probably buy decent seats early though if I was you, depending on how the season starts this could be an indemand game.

What's the catch? I dont think there is any yet? I've already compromised alot on the honeymoon, so I'm hoping this is her returning the favour.
    I tried to get her watching some Baseball before, but she has no interest. She knows how much I enjoy the game, so I think it's just a gift for me. Its a lunch time game, so wont be boozing.
    Also, when we were in New York a few years ago, she went to a David Gray concert without me, so there's a bit of give and take
    Especially if it turns out the Angels and Dodgers are both good this season. This could be a cracking series, plus they play a week earlier at the Angels place.

I would probably buy decent seats early though if I was you, depending on how the season starts this could be an indemand game.

Thanks, I might order one so this week. Plenty of options, but the cheap seats aren't even cheap. I'll probably spend $75 for a ticket. Between the ticket, parking, food, and some sort of memorabilia, I'll be well over $200 down :)

What's the catch? I dont think there is any yet? I've already compromised alot on the honeymoon, so I'm hoping this is her returning the favour.
    I tried to get her watching some Baseball before, but she has no interest. She knows how much I enjoy the game, so I think it's just a gift for me. Its a lunch time game, so wont be boozing.
    Also, when we were in New York a few years ago, she went to a David Gray concert without me, so there's a bit of give and take

Thanks, I might order one so this week. Plenty of options, but the cheap seats aren't even cheap. I'll probably spend $75 for a ticket. Between the ticket, parking, food, and some sort of memorabilia, I'll be well over $200 down :)

Yep man you'd wanna budget for at least that. I go to a good few Nationals games and the cost of food is extortion but I love it. A jumbo hot dog with some fries and a bottomless soda(you get free refills) works out at about $25. I usually have one in the first inning and get some more food around the 7th. It's a shocking waste but man I love it.

Yep man you'd wanna budget for at least that. I go to a good few Nationals games and the cost of food is extortion but I love it. A jumbo hot dog with some fries and a bottomless soda(you get free refills) works out at about $25. I usually have one in the first inning and get some more food around the 7th. It's a shocking waste but man I love it.

Perfect, well I took the advice, and bought the ticket, and a parking spot. Not too bad. About $90 all in. At least it's done now, and I let herself know, so she can't change her mind now. Can't wait. 1995 was the first and last time I was at a Dodgers game, and Tom Candonotti pitched in a 2-1 loss to the Reds. It was a very dull game.

Can't wait now. Last game before the All Star break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

It looks like I'm going to be in the US in June and will be able to get games in Camden Yards and Nationals Park. For the latter, any advice on where to sit for a one off game. It would be a midweek game (v Rays) so decent ticket prices should be reasonable. Oh and how are brew prices, I don't drink soda :)

Bad news for him, good news for Mets fans.

https://twitter.com/nypost_mets/status/976854451481964544?s=21

That's a Roster spot freed up so

ShyMets wrote: »
    That's a Roster spot freed up so

As said before, he must have incriminating evidence of something the Wilpons or Sandy Alderson have done because there have been so many times in the past that a roster spot was needed and someone else got the DFA.

How he has stayed on the roster this long is baffling. He’s had so many chances to show his a major league pitcher, both as a starter and reliever but has failed miserably every time. Maybe he’s had the torn UCL for the past 4 years and just didn’t know it...!!!!

I know it’s bad not having any sympathy but this guy has driven me demented so many times in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As said before, he must have incriminating evidence of something the Wilpons or Sandy Alderson have done because there have been so many times in the past that a roster spot was needed and someone else got the DFA.

How he has stayed on the roster this long is baffling. He’s had so many chances to show his a major league pitcher, both as a starter and reliever but has failed miserably every time. Maybe he’s had the torn UCL for the past 4 years and just didn’t know it...!!!!

I know it’s bad not having any sympathy but this guy has driven me demented so many times in recent years.

More lives than a cat, this guy. Now he'll be with the Mets till mid-2019 at least imo. At least it frees up a roster spot. He's under contract apparently till 2022. Been with the Mets org since 2011 - 7 years, wow.

Naturally, it's the Mets. 1 pitcher brought in for insurance, gets hurt and has surgery in spring training. Another one they weren't counting on, lost to TJ surgery. And opening day a week away yet, feels like the birds are circling once again.

Igotadose wrote: »
    More lives than a cat, this guy. Now he'll be with the Mets till mid-2019 at least imo. At least it frees up a roster spot. He's under contract apparently till 2022. Been with the Mets org since 2011 - 7 years, wow.

Naturally, it's the Mets. 1 pitcher brought in for insurance, gets hurt and has surgery in spring training. Another one they weren't counting on, lost to TJ surgery. And opening day a week away yet, feels like the birds are circling once again.

I suspect the fear is that if he is traded, he finally figures it out and becomes a dominate pitcher.

Personally I'm off the opinion that you can give a guy only so many chances.

Coeus wrote: »
    It looks like I'm going to be in the US in June and will be able to get games in Camden Yards and Nationals Park. For the latter, any advice on where to sit for a one off game. It would be a midweek game (v Rays) so decent ticket prices should be reasonable. Oh and how are brew prices, I don't drink soda :)

Depends what you are looking for. If you want to try to catch a home run you want to be in 101-107 or 140-143 and to be honest with the amount of lefties and oppo hitters 140-143 is probably your best bet. If you book them online you should get them for $40 around there anyway, midweek game against the Rays you'll probably get them much cheaper closer to the game.

Beers , best of luck dude somewhere between $9-$12 a beer. There is a mythical $1 hot dog stand somewhere on the grounds and before games there is an area called the Bullpen just in front of the side entrance. I dont know if it's open for midweek games but it's great craic at weekends. Have live bands, radar guns, corn hole and just a place for fans to hang out before and after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Depends what you are looking for. If you want to try to catch a home run you want to be in 101-107 or 140-143 and to be honest with the amount of lefties and oppo hitters 140-143 is probably your best bet. If you book them online you should get them for $40 around there anyway, midweek game against the Rays you'll probably get them much cheaper closer to the game.

Beers , best of luck dude somewhere between $9-$12 a beer. There is a mythical $1 hot dog stand somewhere on the grounds and before games there is an area called the Bullpen just in front of the side entrance. I dont know if it's open for midweek games but it's great craic at weekends. Have live bands, radar guns, corn hole and just a place for fans to hang out before and after.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll only be in DC for the day so most likely I'll buy a ticket the day before or the morning of the game. Stubhub is great for that if demand for the game is not too big. Yea, all ballparks fleece you on brew but those prices seem about average. I will seek out that $1 hotdog stand...

I'll also be in Baltimore for the weekend series v the Yanks. I should be good to go to the games on Saturday and Sunday. When in Rome and all that :)

Broken finger - out 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Hi guys ,new to the forums ,long suffering mariners fan here really think we can finally make it back to October this year.What you guys think?

Hi guys ,new to the forums ,long suffering mariners fan here really think we can finally make it back to October this year.What you guys think?

Going to be very tough in a division with the Astros so probably the best they could hope for is one of the wild cards spots. But even that’s going to be difficult. The loser of Red Sox/Yankees will probably get one spot and then there’s the Angels, Twins amongst others and I think they’ve been riddled with injuries this March too.

Going to be very tough in a division with the Astros so probably the best they could hope for is one of the wild cards spots. But even that’s going to be difficult. The loser of Red Sox/Yankees will probably get one spot and then there’s the Angels, Twins amongst others and I think they’ve been riddled with injuries this March too.
    Definitely a lot will hinge on our pitching,lot of injuries in that department last year and no major additions to the pitching staff this off season,we live in hope I guess

• Advertisement

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22897949/boston-red-sox-ace-chris-sale-hit-ball-exits-game

Time to wrap everybody in cotton wool or bubble wrap or something until opening day. Looks like Sale dodged a bullet here unlike Bumgarner earlier this week

Definitely a lot will hinge on our pitching,lot of injuries in that department last year and no major additions to the pitching staff this off season,we live in hope I guess

If starting pitching stays relatively healthy then they'll be close. They have an outstanding bullpen and a stacked offense with good depth at most positions. It still does feel like a lot of things need to go right though, particularly with Astros being strong last year and Angels getting Othani.

If starting pitching stays relatively healthy then they'll be close. They have an outstanding bullpen and a stacked offense with good depth at most positions. It still does feel like a lot of things need to go right though, particularly with Astros being strong last year and Angels getting Othani.

Tbh I'm not all that worried about the Angels ,I think Othani will take quite a bit of time to settle in the majors and the Angels don't have that many big hitters outside trout and pujols

Coeus wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll only be in DC for the day so most likely I'll buy a ticket the day before or the morning of the game. Stubhub is great for that if demand for the game is not too big. Yea, all ballparks fleece you on brew but those prices seem about average. I will seek out that $1 hotdog stand...

I'll also be in Baltimore for the weekend series v the Yanks. I should be good to go to the games on Saturday and Sunday. When in Rome and all that :)

Camden yards has the best food I've ever had at a baseball park. I'll seek out my mate who's a massive Baltimore fan and ask him where it was exactly we ate in the stadium. Was unreal, so tasty.

Tbh I'm not all that worried about the Angels ,I think Othani will take quite a bit of time to settle in the majors and the Angels don't have that many big hitters outside trout and pujols

They got Kinsler , Upton and Chris Carter in the off season. That some decent hitting to go with Trout and Pujols

They got Kinsler , Upton and Chris Carter in the off season. That some decent hitting to go with Trout and Pujols
    fair point,i feel the mariners can match that batting however with the big bats of Cruz,cano,seager and add in Gordon,segura ,zunino and haniger.Simply can't wait for Thursday to come there's bound to be a few surprise teams.

• Advertisement

fair point,i feel the mariners can match that batting however with the big bats of Cruz,cano,seager and add in Gordon,segura ,zunino and haniger.Simply can't wait for Thursday to come there's bound to be a few surprise teams.

No doubt there is talent in the Mariners roster. But I like what the Angels did this offseason , they are at least looking like they are attempting to build around the best player in the league.

It's going to be great though. Cant wait for Thursday myself. My favourite time of the year!

No doubt there is talent in the Mariners roster. But I like what the Angels did this offseason , they are at least looking like they are attempting to build around the best player in the league.

It's going to be great though. Cant wait for Thursday myself. My favourite time of the year!
    From my point of view could be very open this season,theres 5 or 6 teams from each league who will feel they have a decent chance of a world series.

From my point of view could be very open this season,theres 5 or 6 teams from each league who will feel they have a decent chance of a world series.

The joys of March. Everyone thinks they’re in it!

Is there a predictions thread up yet so we can all look foolish at the end of the year?

Is there a predictions thread up yet so we can all look foolish at the end of the year?

None that I can see. Is that you offering to set one up?

• Advertisement

None that I can see. Is that you offering to set one up?

I might make an attempt at it!

Greg Bird will miss 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his foot for the Yankees,they have the depth to cope without him,but hell be a loss none the less.

Jason Werth's signing with Seattle apparently. Good bit of depth to the outfield there.

Jason Werth's signing with Seattle apparently. Good bit of depth to the outfield there.

Only a minor league contract so far. Nice bit of depth just in case (even though I'm not a big Werth fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭boccy23

Listening to Baseball Tonight podcast today and Buster was on about teams using 4 man outfields against high fly percentage fly ball hitters. Will be interesting to see if it becomes a regular thing like the shift.

Advertisement