Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Irish be optional after Junior Cert?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Well it looks like thats where we are headed anyway, what you suggested is broadly in line with Fine Gael policy, I guess I just see it as the thin end of the wedge so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Ah, but Fine Gael policy at the tail end of 2005, when this thread started, might not be FG policy in 2011 or 2012. And things have a habit of getting a bit more complicated when you get into government!

;)

Ah, but Fine Gael policy at the tail end of 2005, when this thread started, might not be FG policy in 2011 or 2012. And things have a habit of getting a bit more complicated when you get into government!

;)

True but there will be quite a few angry people if they dont do anything with it, almoast anything would be better than it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

If FG tried to make Irish optional, there would be protests on the streets, the Irish speaking community are strong and passion about the language

Ní neart go cur le chéile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

The Irish course is being changed for both Leaving and Junior cert! I'm not completely sure about this but know for definite that the oral will be 40%, which I was delighted to hear. If students actually learn how to apeak Irish, they'll have great craic. Probably 90% of students who have gone to the Gaeltacht come back with a new passion for Irish, or at least for speaking it. Imagine the difference in grades, a lot of people with a good grasp of the language and no knowledge of poetry or stories would have 30-40% already in the bag with the oral! And as I've just done my LC, I can say from experience that the people who went and just learned off a big trawl for every possible question will be absolutely screwed. In class these people would struggle as our teacher often asked them a strange unexpected question in practise like, 'describe your shoes' or something like that which sounds quite simple, but these people panicked and struggled with the question. I'm not saying that it's a good thing that these people will either have more to learn off or else won't do as well in the oral as they could have, but it's great that it gives others with a natural talent more ability to succeed. These learny-offy people can learn off everything else in the other parts! eg. poetry, essay vocab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kawadri

Irish is a waste of time and we could be focusing on valuable subjects like english, maths & french.

kawadri wrote: »
    Irish is a waste of time and we could be focusing on valuable subjects like english, maths & french.

Léigh an Chairt
    Read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Yes, Irish should be optional after the Jr. Cert.

Advertisement