Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i understand that, i wasnt pointing that comment towards you.

some of those folks may not have had many choices coming out of school, and if they didnt enjoy school, struggled with the leaving etc, working in a factory could have been the default, again, nothing wrong with it, ive done this type of work myself.

again, women should have the option to work and have kids, obviously humanity needs them to continue having kids, but many women actually work largely due to the issues mentioned above, i.e. low wage inflation, high asset price inflation etc

as ive mentioned, ive worked shifts in a factory, i was mentally challenged to the point of helping to induce mental health issues, ive worked with other lads that had breakdowns, and work was an element of this, ive also worked with people that were forced to take 'stress leave', not mentally challenging, im not so sure about that!

again, is this lifestyle 'choice', really a choice for some? i will agree, some just love making more money, and best of luck to them
    if you are earning 85 k and your wife is a nurse or a teacher then yes its a lifestyle choice

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

i understand that, i wasnt pointing that comment towards you.

some of those folks may not have had many choices coming out of school, and if they didnt enjoy school, struggled with the leaving etc, working in a factory could have been the default, again, nothing wrong with it, ive done this type of work myself.

again, women should have the option to work and have kids, obviously humanity needs them to continue having kids, but many women actually work largely due to the issues mentioned above, i.e. low wage inflation, high asset price inflation etc

as ive mentioned, ive worked shifts in a factory, i was mentally challenged to the point of helping to induce mental health issues, ive worked with other lads that had breakdowns, and work was an element of this, ive also worked with people that were forced to take 'stress leave', not mentally challenging, im not so sure about that!

again, is this lifestyle 'choice', really a choice for some? i will agree, some just love making more money, and best of luck to them

There is a spread of IQ and motivation traits throughout any population.

It may not be PC to state this but it's quite true. Not everyone has the nounce to fly aircraft or the drive to run a business.

Your reply is a good example of the eternal outrage becoming ever more prevalent in our society and ties in with my comments above.

You have taken the label of "simple" as what? Dumb, stupid, ignorant?

No, it just means a person who lives a simple life according to his situation.
    The 50% of the population with low iq are getting ever more squeezed out of the workplace. The 50% of the population with low drive are being squeezed out of the workplace.

There are many highly motivated and high iq people working at McDonald's.

Some people really do just want to stamp washers for a day, get paid, go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

brisan wrote: »
    I can say without reservation that production people in our factory have no work related stress.
    Work 40mins off for 20mins
    Sit and watch machine ,or drive a forktruck etc
    Fill a sheet in with a few weights and samples every couple of hours
    Breakdown happens all head to canteen after a few mins cleaning
    Clock in at 8 and out at 4 even if the place is falling down .
    Its American owned now but there is 90yrs of British Quaker ownership embedded in the work practices and terms and conditions of employment

could boredom or unfulfillment be considered stressful? one of the main causes of my own issues in that work environment was in fact, i was deeply unfulfilled, i struggled in our educational system, so ended up in that particular job, even though it was a fantastic life experience, it still lead to deep unfulfillment, ive worked with many others that showed similar issues, but remained stuck, for many different reasons, including commitments such as financial and relationships etc

...and long may those work practices remain, i worked in one of those american corporations, an absolutely awful work environment for most, including management, where everyone is encouraged to threat everyone like sh1t

if you are earning 85 k and your wife is a nurse or a teacher then yes its a lifestyle choice

or is it that everyone knows that, 'increasing worker insecurities' are exactly that, and it causes people to default towards, lets get as much money as we can, in order to try change this situation?
    There is a spread of IQ and motivation traits throughout any population.

It may not be PC to state this but it's quite true. Not everyone has the nounce to fly aircraft or the drive to run a business.

Your reply is a good example of the eternal outrage becoming ever more prevalent in our society and ties in with my comments above.

You have taken the label of "simple" as what? Dumb, stupid, ignorant?

No, it just means a person who lives a simple life according to his situation.
    The 50% of the population with low iq are getting ever more squeezed out of the workplace. The 50% of the population with low drive are being squeezed out of the workplace.

There are many highly motivated and high iq people working at McDonald's.

Some people really do just want to stamp washers for a day, get paid, go home.

you may need to do some research into the most common causes of things such as long term unemployment, it truly is highly complex, and it shows multi system failure to address these individuals actually needs, and in fact, in many cases, exasperates their issues

could boredom or unfulfillment be considered stressful? one of the main causes of my own issues in that work environment was in fact, i was deeply unfulfilled, i struggled in our educational system, so ended up in that particular job, even though it was a fantastic life experience, it still lead to deep unfulfillment, ive worked with many others that showed similar issues, but remained stuck, for many different reasons, including commitments such as financial and relationships etc

...and long may those work practices remain, i worked in one of those american corporations, an absolutely awful work environment for most, including management, where everyone is encouraged to threat everyone like sh1t

IF you are having a handy life getting 30-50 k ,able to get to work in 20 mins and
    DO NOT MIND THE BOREDOM then its not an issue
    As another poster said some people are happy to stamp washers get paid and go home
    There is a saying in our job
    Happiness comes in a brown envelope
    Harks back to when we were paid in cash
    Its not like Intel ,or one of those MNC or pharma companies .
    its fairly low tech for them and easy work with no hassle
    Junior software engineers in our company would start on less money than some production workers with little or no education
    Last 2 years and move on
    Looks well on their CV

• Advertisement

IF you are having a handy life getting 30-50 k ,able to get to work in 20 mins and
    DO NOT MIND THE BOREDOM then its not an issue
    As another poster said some people are happy to stamp washers get paid and go home
    There is a saying in our job
    Happiness comes in a brown envelope
    Harks back to when we were paid in cash
    Its not like Intel ,or one of those MNC or pharma companies .
    its fairly low tech for them and easy work with no hassle
    Junior software engineers in our company would start on less money than some production workers with little or no education
    Last 2 years and move on
    Looks well on their CV

its important to realise, many western economies are slowly moving towards service lead, ive never worked in this sector, but i suspect many of the positions created are deeply unfulfilling, particularly to those that have spent many years educating themselves for something more, something better, and god help those that are continually let down by our educational and training systems, many of these jobs are also of low pay. never underestimate the need for job satisfaction, i think graeber was spot on with 'bullsh!t jobs'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Geuze wrote: »
    This suggestion deserves a separate thread.

I feel that pre-COVID, most of the LT unemployed in Ireland were not unemployed due to a lack of vacancies.

They were either:

unemployable
    they choose LT JSA combined with nixers, i.e. they choose to claim JSA as a lifestyle choice
    suffer from a skills mismatch

Bear in mind that thousands of immigrants arrive here and managed to get jobs, while there were thousands of LT unemployed.

The (admittedly few) people I know on LT JSA are not unemployed due to a lack of jobs.

One earns 10k JSA + 40k nixer, the other has mild personality issues/couldn't hold down a job.
    A Job Guarantee resolves most of that - as it both trains up people into useful roles, and is capable of tailoring roles to accommodate for peoples personal circumstances - so e.g. people with anxiety difficulties say, or even more severe disabilities, can have roles created for them as part of the JG. I think the JG is one of the most beneficial things that can happen for disadvantaged people and communities, due to this.

JSA would still exist alongside the JG - and a JG in full swing would greatly reduce the number of people on JSA, and make it far easier to identify 'genuine' cases of fraud and such.

Another thing is: Bad private sector jobs, with both bad pay and bad working conditions, should not be considered genuine vacancies - as we want to eliminate jobs that do not provide good standards for workers.
    A JG achieves this, by ensuring workers always have the JG as an alternative to bad jobs - meaning that the JG sets a floor both for wages, and for working conditions in the economy - boosting workers bargaining power in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Dont
    Sweat
    The
    Debt

Dust off the printing press and make it go brrrrrrr

There will be no Inflation. Zimbabwe Weimar Republic they all are misleading. We have so many goods that printing will do nothing. Look at post 2008. We live in a deflationary world outside of asset prices. Take morality out of economics. Make the economy work for people and society not the other way around.

Time to stop with textbook thinking and realise that it's all just an illusion. The debt means nothing. In the long run we are all dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Dust off the printing press and make it go brrrrrrr

QE started already, it started in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Make it faster

• Advertisement

Since 2014, the ECB has created money and used it to purchase 2,800 billion euro of financial assets:

app_cumulative_net_purchases-620px.png?tyui

That excludes the new PEPP, to help deal with COVID.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/omt/html/index.en.html

2,940 bn of asset purchases since 2014/2015.

I wonder about the effectiveness of that policy.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/pepp/html/index.en.html

The PEPP is now planned to be 1,350 billion, on top of the 2,940 billion in APP so far.

500bn of the PEPP has been created/spent by end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Timing belt

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/omt/html/index.en.html

2,940 bn of asset purchases since 2014/2015.

I wonder about the effectiveness of that policy.

The QE is keeping the longer term rates low to encourage investment and at the same time injecting cash into the financial institutions that are pledging/selling the debt to the ecb.

Logic is that the banks will then be able to provide more loans but if the banks are not issuing more loans as they can’t find customers within there risk appetite or they don’t have sufficient capital to lend...it fails and the banks just park the extra cash in the central bank and get a negative rate impacting on the banks profitability. It could be argued it encourages banks to take more risk.

The only institutions that are benefiting are funds as they can use the cash to purchase more assets and in turn inflate asset prices. This stops a collapse in the markets but does little for boosting the economy (except the funds industry)

Make it faster

3,440 billion of QE done already, is that fast enough??

Geuze wrote:
    3,440 billion of QE done already, is that fast enough??

But as explained very well above, if it's not moving (velocity), what's the point?

The QE is keeping the longer term rates low to encourage investment and at the same time injecting cash into the financial institutions that are pledging/selling the debt to the ecb.

OK, yes, long-term bond yields have fallen, yes.

This helps corporate bond issuers and Govt bonds, yes, ok.

But here in Ireland, the effectiveness is less, as the fall in wholesale costs isn't fully passed onto retail mortgage rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

More Great numbers out of the EU today. It seems so long ago I listened to one of my favourite talking heads saying central banks can't keep printing money for ever but for way longer than we think.

More Great numbers out of the EU today. It seems so long ago I listened to one of my favourite talking heads saying central banks can't keep printing money for ever but for way longer than we think.

thank god they can never run out of the stuff, or we d be screwed

OK, yes, long-term bond yields have fallen, yes.

This helps corporate bond issuers and Govt bonds, yes, ok.

But here in Ireland, the effectiveness is less, as the fall in wholesale costs isn't fully passed onto retail mortgage rates.

The retail mortgage rates are so high because of the volume of mortgages in default and the extra capital the bank has to hold. The only way to get lower rates is to get rid of default mortgages either through repossession or selling the assets to a fund.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/no-single-fix-for-distressed-loans-warns-central-banks-ed-sibley-39571088.html

• Advertisement

The retail mortgage rates are so high because of the volume of mortgages in default and the extra capital the bank has to hold. The only way to get lower rates is to get rid of default mortgages either through repossession or selling the assets to a fund.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/no-single-fix-for-distressed-loans-warns-central-banks-ed-sibley-39571088.html

...but this still doesnt resolve our overall housing and accommodation issues

...but this still doesnt resolve our overall housing and accommodation issues

No it doesn’t as it is a supply issue and more houses need to be built.

It’s not profitable to build as there is a risk of selling at a loss if supply is delivered and there is a drop (even small) in house prices.

No it doesn’t as it is a supply issue and more houses need to be built.

It’s not profitable to build as there is a risk of selling at a loss if supply is delivered and there is a drop (even small) in house prices.

yup, its a really messy situation, and its disturbing to see, theres been literally no solution for over 10 years now, we ve no choice but to allow the state to try solve this one, even if the state only plays a financing role

yup, its a really messy situation, and its disturbing to see, theres been literally no solution for over 10 years now, we ve no choice but to allow the state to try solve this one, even if the state only plays a financing role

Yes it needs something to break the deadlock. As long as building costs are so high it’s not going to change.

you could argue that intervention caused the issue with Nama stepping in keeping land values high if they didn’t the market would have found its own level and building would have started again as there would be money to be made. I am not saying Nama was the wrong thing to do just pointing out that everytime there is human intervention there are always unforeseen consequences.

Yes it needs something to break the deadlock. As long as building costs are so high it’s not going to change.

you could argue that intervention caused the issue with Nama stepping in keeping land values high if they didn’t the market would have found its own level and building would have started again as there would be money to be made. I am not saying Nama was the wrong thing to do just pointing out that everytime there is human intervention there are always unforeseen consequences.

again, we truly need to walk away from this idea of the market finding its own equilibrium, this is not our reality at all, it never has been, its a fantasy idea we ve convinced ourselves of, and it has never happened anywhere in the world, ever. providing the finance publicly, may just unlock this deadlock, and might just stimulate the private sector, particularly the construction industry.

again, we truly need to walk away from this idea of the market finding its own equilibrium, this is not our reality at all, it never has been, its a fantasy idea we ve convinced ourselves of, and it has never happened anywhere in the world, ever. providing the finance publicly, may just unlock this deadlock, and might just stimulate the private sector, particularly the construction industry.

Unfortunately it would probably make the matter worse as it would increase supply and reduce house prices inflation leading to less building. That’s not saying it is the right thing to do just that this will be a consequence of gov intervention. The only way it will be permanently unlocked is cheaper labour, input costs or some sort of efficiency,

Obviously you don’t want construction workers taking a cut as if that happens it feeds back into the problem as they won’t be able to buy property. If the government were able to lower land values via taxation this might solve the issue but don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Regardless of this houses need to be built ASAP.

Unfortunately it would probably make the matter worse as it would increase supply and reduce house prices inflation leading to less building. That’s not saying it is the right thing to do just that this will be a consequence of gov intervention. The only way it will be permanently unlocked is cheaper labour, input costs or some sort of efficiency,

Obviously you don’t want construction workers taking a cut as if that happens it feeds back into the problem as they won’t be able to buy property. If the government were able to lower land values via taxation this might solve the issue but don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Regardless of this houses need to be built ASAP.

unfortunately, our current economic approaches default towards the highlighted, we cant keep playing this game, particularly cheaper labour, and productivity levels are at an all time high, theres only so many layers on an onion here!

i completely agree with a lvt, even though i dont fully understand it, but most commentators i follow, advocate for it, so i think you re right there.

yup, building needed to start over 10 years ago, but here we are....

Only option is to free up Gov land and let builders build at a set cost and margin
    If you buy and sell within 10 years Government gets a percentage of the profits depending on length of time between purchase and sale

Only option is to free up Gov land and let builders build at a set cost and margin
    If you buy and sell within 10 years Government gets a percentage of the profits depending on length of time between purchase and sale

That would work but government would loose out on the 1.9bn Nama cash flow each year. It makes interesting reading to see what land they are still sitting on.

https://www.nama.ie/our-work/search-property

• Advertisement

Who is in charge of setting the RWA, and when are they reviewed?

https://assets.gov.ie/6836/664f5174ebd34f7e938aea654bed6757.pdf

Advertisement