Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    All very true, but do we have an actual backup stock of accommodation available for these people?

What you are forgetting is that most of these could easily pay a good amount, but they decide to pay absolutely nothing compliments of other mortgage holders.

For some you’ll see nice cars in their driveway and all the mod cons possible because they can avoid paying the mortgage.

Very few would actually be entitled to council homes and remember, the homes get bought by others, they don't just disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Darc19 wrote: »
    What you are forgetting is that most of these could easily pay a good amount, but they decide to pay absolutely nothing compliments of other mortgage holders.

For some you’ll see nice cars in their driveway and all the mod cons possible because they can avoid paying the mortgage.

Very few would actually be entitled to council homes and remember, the homes get bought by others, they don't just disappear

all on tick (credit), id imagine, at what stage do we question the financial sector, for reckless lending? 'behind every bad borrower, is a bad lender'!

so, if you reposes, what do you do with the reposesed? not only dont buildings disappear, either do the people! temporarily(permanently) 'accommodating' them, seems to costing you a fortune, over the last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Why do people save, and why are people currently increasing their savings?

Yes people save money and put off large purchases when they are unsure of the future. All this does is lead to deflation which has a loop back cycle which leads to more QE and the asset bubble getting bigger.

If the public do not have confidence in the future of the economy and their job security they won't spend. The majority of the QE that is being undertaken is not leading to Job growth or to improving infrastructure and all it is leading to is an increase in asset prices so people will continue to save money. The only time that this will change is when negative rates start being passed onto retail customers who will spend the money rather than leave it in the bank.

When this happens we will see inflation and this will need to be managed very carefully otherwise we will see a increase in gov bond yield and countries struggling to finance their sovereign debt as it rolls over onto higher yields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

The negative ninnies just hate positive news.

Where I work staff numbers are up considerably this year and further recruitment is expected before Christmas.

Same in many competitors.

Tell that to those in the hospitality and retail sector .
    I am sure they will be glad
    Heading for record unemployment
    14.7 % according to the CSO

All very true, but do we have an actual backup stock of accommodation available for these people?
    I am sure they can rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

wassie wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here is advocating a US style non-recourse home loan system here.

It well acknowledged that the inability to repossess houses in Ireland where homeowners are strategically defaulting comes at a real cost to the rest of us in the form of higher interest rates.
    The only people claiming that are anonymous posters on the Internet.

The cost that you're talking about is deferred interest payments from mortgage holders - which are generally recouped - with only a small minority actually defaulting. So that means: The actual/real cost is tiny.

The cost to people however, of high interest rates above baseline on their mortgages, does not line up with this at all - it is Absolutely Fucking Gigantic in comparison.

That does not match up.

KyussB wrote: »
    The only people claiming that are anonymous posters on the Internet.

The cost that you're talking about is deferred interest payments from mortgage holders - which are generally recouped - with only a small minority actually defaulting. So that means: The actual/real cost is tiny.

The cost to people however, of high interest rates above baseline on their mortgages, does not line up with this at all - it is Absolutely Fucking Gigantic in comparison.

That does not match up.

Numerous high profile cases in the papers where people paid nothing or very little for up to 10 years off their mortgage
    Pamela Flood and Glenda Gilson parents are 2 cases that spring to mind
    Twink has been days away from losing the house ever since her husband unzipped his mickey
    There are probably thousands more

brisan wrote: »
    Tell that to those in the hospitality and retail sector .
    I am sure they will be glad
    Heading for record unemployment
    14.7 % according to the CSO

Most of the retail sector is doing very well and many parts have taken on a lot of extra staff.

The hospitality sector is the main loser, but it will bounce back fairly quickly.

The cso and tax figures just don't support a serious recession.

Most of the retail sector is doing very well and many parts have taken on a lot of extra staff.

The hospitality sector is the main loser, but it will bounce back fairly quickly.

Have you actually walked around DCC lately
    Retail except food is on its knees

I do not know how you interpret CSO figures but its a recession that much is not in doubt

Have you actually walked around DCC lately
    Retail except food is on its knees

I do not know how you interpret CSO figures but its a recession that much is not in doubt

Dublin city center is the only area that has seen a continued fall off.

Check any retail park in the country on a Tuesday - busy

Check the main streets of the bigger towns (and some small towns) - busy

Check out the larger towns - busy.

A family member is in retail, they are expecting their best ever year. She said it's the same for others in her area of retail unless they are in Dublin city center.

Dundrum, Liffey Valley, blanchardstown and swords all reporting near normal sales too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

what do people make of the todays budget ? have they mitigated any disasters by some of the promises they've made on spending?

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    what do people make of the todays budget ? have they mitigated any disasters by some of the promises they've made on spending?

The spending is justified but I think they missed an opportunity to address the housing crisis as I think there actions will be ineffective but time will tell.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to deliver as in the past announcements like today have taken up to 10 years to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There was a serious recession in 2020, thankfully we are in slow recovery now.

You are correct, the recession has not been even, many sectors hit brutally, other sectors thriving.

Massively variable impacts on the labour market.

Thousands unemployed, yet you can't get a trades person.

October IMF World Economic Outlook

weo_oct20_tab1_1.png

I question what impact the QE will have over the medium to long term. We know the QE boost consumer confidence for 3-6 months but that will fall away without more QE and we could find our self back in recession

We know that QE can influence CPI but the main transmission channel for this is exchange rate depreciation so if all countries are undertaking QE this becomes ineffective.

Since QE started in 2014, the main impact it seems to me, is on Govt bond yields.

It has driven them low, yes.

Has it boosted consumer confidence?

I don't think so.

Geuze wrote: »
    Since QE started in 2014, the main impact it seems to me, is on Govt bond yields.

It has driven them low, yes.

Has it boosted consumer confidence?

I don't think so.

I tend to agree and think that we will see negative rates for retail deposits within the next 6 months. Probably on a tiered basis where balance over 50k will attract a negative interest rate.

I think the banks will pass on the cost of the negative interest rates and it will be encouraged by the ECB to get customers spending. The risk is that customers will move the funds into assets and contribute to the asset bubbles.

I think the banks will pass on the cost of the negative interest rates and it will be encouraged by the ECB to get customers spending. The risk is that customers will move the funds into assets and contribute to the asset bubbles.

Yup, that's all I see to, I can't see this miraculous spending spree at all, from the introduction of negative rates, some will spend of course, but I suspect many won't. Central banks are running out of options, rate changes aren't truly doing what they're hoping they'll do, many people, particularly younger generations, are becoming stuck in precarious employment and then there's their other major problem, property. Governments have to do something serious here, or we re gonna have an even more serious problem on our hands, in the very near future. This government is under serious pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭riddles

Yup, that's all I see to, I can't see this miraculous spending spree at all, from the introduction of negative rates, some will spend of course, but I suspect many won't. Central banks are running out of options, rate changes aren't truly doing what they're hoping they'll do, many people, particularly younger generations, are becoming stuck in precarious employment and then there's their other major problem, property. Governments have to do something serious here, or we re gonna have an even more serious problem on our hands, in the very near future. This government is under serious pressure
    The short term nature of politics is not capable of delivering long term solutions.

riddles wrote:
    The short term nature of politics is not capable of delivering long term solutions.

This is very true, and it's becoming more evident over time, and young voters have had enough of it, and I think they're right to, the only problem is, we re ending up with risky and sometimes potentially dangerous voting outcomes. Traditional parties such as ffg are under serious pressure to maintain their positions of power, they're running out of time quickly. I also believe their property policies are gonna continue to fail, particularly in relation to providing these younger generations with what they need, so God only knows where that's gonna lead us to.

• Advertisement

This is very true, and it's becoming more evident over time, and young voters have had enough of it, and I think they're right to, the only problem is, we re ending up with risky and sometimes potentially dangerous voting outcomes. Traditional parties such as ffg are under serious pressure to maintain their positions of power, they're running out of time quickly. I also believe their property policies are gonna continue to fail, particularly in relation to providing these younger generations with what they need, so God only knows where that's gonna lead us to.

More than likely a SF majority in the next election
    Maybe not enough to form a Gov on their own but they will more than likely be the biggest party.
    SF policies MAY not work
    FFG policies DO not work
    Young people may take the chance

More than likely a SF majority in the next election
    Maybe not enough to form a Gov on their own but they will more than likely be the biggest party.
    SF policies MAY not work
    FFG policies DO not work
    Young people may take the chance

even though i understand your logic for such a possibility, im still not convinced that sf will play a significant role in the next government, the last few years has shown us that ffg are well in control, and even when theyre not in government, i.e. confidence and supply. but again, i do believe if ffg dont pull their fingers out quickly, regarding the critical needs of voters, particularly property and health care needs, we might just end up in a governmental cul-de-sac such as our neighbours, and that could be detrimental to us all

even though i understand your logic for such a possibility, im still not convinced that sf will play a significant role in the next government, the last few years has shown us that ffg are well in control, and even when theyre not in government, i.e. confidence and supply. but again, i do believe if ffg dont pull their fingers out quickly, regarding the critical needs of voters, particularly property and health care needs, we might just end up in a governmental cul-de-sac such as our neighbours, and that could be detrimental to us all

If SF had of gauged the groundswell of their support better and stood more candidates for election they would have gained more seats
    They topped the poll in quite a few constituencies and got more than double the quota in a few constituencies
    For a party that normally squeezes the max out of every vote that badly misread the situation
    I doubt they will make the same mistake again
    FFG have found the magical money tree that everybody said was a figment of SF imagination AND IT WILL BE VERY HARD TO HIDE IT IN FUTURE
    Covid may be top of the agenda for now but the housing crisis has not gone away

If SF had of gauged the groundswell of their support better and stood more candidates for election they would have gained more seats
    They topped the poll in quite a few constituencies and got more than double the quota in a few constituencies
    For a party that normally squeezes the max out of every vote that badly misread the situation
    I doubt they will make the same mistake again
    FFG have found the magical money tree that everybody said was a figment of SF imagination AND IT WILL BE VERY HARD TO HIDE IT IN FUTURE
    Covid may be top of the agenda for now but the housing crisis has not gone away

again, yup, i understand where you re coming from, but im not fully convinced sf will be able to continue to ride this wave, and to be fair to them, im not sure anyone foreseen their gains prior to the last ge, i certainly didnt. theres still a strong distrust in the left, in particularly sf in ireland, i think ffg are just about safe for the moment, but as you said, the critical one will be housing, and im not convinced they ll carry it off, and if they dont, god knows where we go from there...

again, yup, i understand where you re coming from, but im not fully convinced sf will be able to continue to ride this wave, and to be fair to them, im not sure anyone foreseen their gains prior to the last ge, i certainly didnt. theres still a strong distrust in the left, in particularly sf in ireland, i think ffg are just about safe for the moment, but as you said, the critical one will be housing, and im not convinced they ll carry it off, and if they dont, god knows where we go from there...

I would be in town once or twice a week
    The homeless are back in full view after being shielded because of covid
    Add this to a non functioning rental market with hundreds of top end rentals sitting empty and an overprices sales market, something has to give
    I think it will be the voters patience

I would be in town once or twice a week
    The homeless are back in full view after being shielded because of covid
    Add this to a non functioning rental market with hundreds of top end rentals sitting empty and an overprices sales market, something has to give
    I think it will be the voters patience

its already happening, and not just here, our neighbours are showing us what happens when you push these situations to limits, do we really want that!

its already happening, and not just here, our neighbours are showing us what happens when you push these situations to limits, do we really want that!
    I do not but a lot of the younger people trying to get on the property ladder may just take a chance on it
    Another hidden issue is divorced couples
    When a couple divorce often one or both are not in a position to buy and never will be ,and therefore caught in the rental trap.
    What happens when they retire

I do not but a lot of the younger people trying to get on the property ladder may just take a chance on it
    Another hidden issue is divorced couples
    When a couple divorce often one or both are not in a position to buy and never will be ,and therefore caught in the rental trap.
    What happens when they retire

Housing was the biggest issue before covid came along and SF got the vote because of this. Although housing will still be a big problem it won’t be the main issue next time an election comes along as it will be unemployment/government debt so don’t see SF getting the same share of the vote as if they came to power the credit rating of the country would more than likely be impacted.

brisan wrote:
    I do not but a lot of the younger people trying to get on the property ladder may just take a chance on it Another hidden issue is divorced couples When a couple divorce often one or both are not in a position to buy and never will be ,and therefore caught in the rental trap. What happens when they retire

I'd like to think the majority also doesn't want this either, watching our neighbours tearing themselves apart is disturbing to watch, but we re following a similar path, it's time for us to move in a different direction, and quickly. These younger voters are already showing their willingness to go elsewhere with their votes, it's up to ffg to respond now, and if they don't.......

Oh I hear you about divorce and separation, I know a couple of people in this situation, what a bloody mess, where more or less, everyone loses, just some lose more than others, and in my own experiences, males generally end up worse off there, but females also lose. I know a couple of people caught sharing with their ex! WTF!

Oh don't worry, it's looking like retirement is gonna be a disaster for most of us, pension funds don't look too healthy!
    Housing was the biggest issue before covid came along and SF got the vote because of this. Although housing will still be a big problem it won’t be the main issue next time an election comes along as it will be unemployment/government debt so don’t see SF getting the same share of the vote as if they came to power the credit rating of the country would more than likely be impacted.

Again, we truly need to get over this fear of growing deficits, if we really want to move on from these train wrecks of ideologies, private debt is the big problem, and this is starting to resurface, again!

• Advertisement

I'd like to think the majority also doesn't want this either, watching our neighbours tearing themselves apart is disturbing to watch, but we re following a similar path, it's time for us to move in a different direction, and quickly. These younger voters are already showing their willingness to go elsewhere with their votes, it's up to ffg to respond now, and if they don't.......

Oh I hear you about divorce and separation, I know a couple of people in this situation, what a bloody mess, where more or less, everyone loses, just some lose more than others, and in my own experiences, males generally end up worse off there, but females also lose. I know a couple of people caught sharing with their ex! WTF!

Oh don't worry, it's looking like retirement is gonna be a disaster for most of us, pension funds don't look too healthy!

Again, we truly need to get over this fear of growing deficits, if we really want to move on from these train wrecks of ideologies, private debt is the big problem, and this is starting to resurface, again!

Private debt has been decreasing the past few years!!

Advertisement