Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Agreed, it's just a promo so it's not much beyond "hey look everyone, Star Trek is coming back...space & stuff!" I'm a bit more optimistic now that I know the rights of the movies & tv shows are separate, so the new show has a hope of not being set in the JJ universe (I generally like Abrahms work, but the Star Trek reboot films are nothing beyond generic action films, and for me, not very Star Trek'y)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

malcy wrote: »
    The space suit has nothing to do with the setting for the new series. Its only for a promo video to promote the series. Possibly to be attached with Beyond screenings in July. They are still a few months away from filming so they are just getting this ready to build the hype.

I doubt the promo trailer for the new series will be attached to the film screenings in any way. As said above the series and the movies are owned by two different company's now unless either CBS are going to pay Paramount big money to have the promo video in front of Beyond or vice/versa. If they did do it it might be a good idea and then it might not be.
    If Beyond is potentially going to be a big flop would you really want to have your product associated with that but it might also do well and in that case it might be an advantage as people who like Star Trek but do not yet know there is a new series coming might find out that way and may be some who like the new films but do not want to get into the old Star Trek series but will watch a new one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

It really should be launched in holodeck format in keeping with the series theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

malcy wrote: »
    What was it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

What was it for?

Probably practicing for the next fake moon landing :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Probably practicing for the next fake moon landing :p:pac:

200_s.gif

Riight..

So ye dont know either, kthanx

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

Promo picture that originated over at Empire debunked as not 'official'. Was created in house at CBS and someone took a picture of it. Wasn't meant to be released for that reason. TrekCore.com is quite useful for up to date news. Trekmovie.com is as well.

Ms

An official teaser Poster for the new series has just been released.

http://www.treknews.net/2016/03/25/star-trek-all-access-teaser-poster/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

AMKC wrote: »
    An official teaser Poster for the new series has just been released.

http://www.treknews.net/2016/03/25/star-trek-all-access-teaser-poster/

Not yet confirmed as authentic though, and if it is the insignia reminds me of a pre TNG type, it's almost identical to TOS era.

Of course the insignia in the poster may not represent the actual series in any way?

A TOS era insignia....groan....hope this isn't real :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Myrddin wrote: »

Blasphemy!!! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Myrddin wrote: »

I'm with you. I'll be seriously disappointed if it's in the original series timeline. We need something fresh and new.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!! :P[/YOUTUBE]

TOS has already been done...& Enterprise showed that the prequel concept just limits itself badly. Something new is needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It wouldn't surprise me if it was set 100-200 years down the line from the TNG era. Follows the adventures of the Enterprise-M, the first ship exploring another Galaxy.

I'm going to want a Credit when this turns out to be the case.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was set 100-200 years down the line from the TNG era. Follows the adventures of the Enterprise-M, the first ship exploring another Galaxy.

I think something like this would be best case. Transwarp being a regular and streamlined technology by this era, allowing intergalactic travel. There are some problems with it though, namely it being essentially TNG in different clothes. The writing needs to be excellent, if its to survive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still think it'll be set in the new universe, and will be set after the current crop of Trek movies. Maybe 20-30 years later. They'll do a TBG on it, and have an old Bones (played by Karl Urban) on the new ship. I just can't see them going back to the old universe.

It's not what i want to see, as i'd love something set after the TNG era shows. Get it back to an exploration type show, and have it set in a different Galaxy, as we know the vast majority of the existing galaxy already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Beefy78 wrote: »

Star Trek: Andromeda

I'm guessing that the promo poster was just using the TOS font/Insignia as something instantly recognisably Star Trek and, presumably, they don't have a marketing identity yet for the new show. I doubt we can can assume from it that it'll be set in the TOS era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Some interesting news.....

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3854222

Announcement of Bryan Fuller as showrunner and Nicholas Meyer as one of the chief writers and where the show might head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm pretty optimistic based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yeah, my interest has been raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

It will be interesting to see how he manages to change things while keeping "the bottle" the same. I'll give it a chance and hope he pulls it off. I really just hope they don't make it into some sort of dour drama. I want a hopeful message about the future, there's enough dystopian fiction already. There is room in this world for one franchise that makes people hopeful for tomorrow instead of apprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

I'm excited to see what Meyer brings to the show, hopefully it will be something new and unexpected, but I just really really hope we dont end up getting the usual 'alien of the week' where they just have a different forehead every time. That always bothered me about TNG onwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 the running joke

I'm excited to see what Meyer brings to the show, hopefully it will be something new and unexpected, but I just really really hope we dont end up getting the usual 'alien of the week' where they just have a different forehead every time. That always bothered me about TNG onwards

Exactly. I would hope that the new show limits itself as regards number of episodes per season. Even a great show with a 22-24 episode season will invariably have a good few duds thown in. I would like to see maybe 10-13 episodes max per season, with a decent budget afforded to each. I don't mean I want an epic space battle in every episode, but I really wish there are some decent production values that can really immerse us in some great stories. AND NO JJ AMBRAMSVERSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It's being reported that the new show is PRIME universe.

Set between Star Trek VI and TNG.

It's another prequel of sorts which is a shame but thank the Gods it's not JJ verse. Good riddance to that idiocy.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/brea...untry-pre-tng/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Goldstein wrote: »
    It's being reported that the new show is PRIME universe.

Set between Star Trek VI and TNG.

It's another prequel of sorts which is a shame but thank the Gods it's not JJ verse. Good riddance to that idiocy.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/brea...untry-pre-tng/

OK now that's the best news I've heard all week :)

I like it... I think that even though season 1 would be set post-TUC they'll surely have learned from the mistakes of Enterprise? It would seem that they've also learned from the mistake/reactions to the JJ films from the fans. The notion of then potentially jumping to post-Nemesis sounds great.

Plus proper movie and TNG-era ship designs again :)

Ms

This could be really good the best of both worlds. Imagine the cameos thhat could be had and the starship ides is good too. I am surprised it has not been used or thought of before.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I think its great maybe some storys in the 23rd century some and the 24th and maybe some even further 25th or 26th century maybe. I would also have no problem if some of the episodes were to go back further into the 22nd century or even 20th and 21st if the story works and is good. It could give us a chance to see the Romulan-Earth war maybe even if briefly and maybe the NX-01 revamped Enterprise too. I also like the idea of it being on a different ship but why not go a little further and have it set over two or three ships. The USS Bozeman I think would be one they could use.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AMKC wrote: »
    I think its great maybe some storys in the 23rd century some and the 24th and maybe some even further 25th or 26th century maybe. I would also have no problem if some of the episodes were to go back further into the 22nd century or even 20th and 21st if the story works and is good. It could give us a chance to see the Romulan-Earth war maybe even if briefly and maybe the NX-01 revamped Enterprise too. I also like the idea of it being on a different ship but why not go a little further and have it set over two or three ships. The USS Bozeman I think would be one they could use.

If they go with different time periods per season then you can have multiple ships and crews with guest/cameos from the previous series...

The Earth/Romulan war
    Wolf 359
    The Dominion War

.. all from different perspectives :) Maybe even a few mirror universe episodes to fill in the blanks from TOS to DS9 (fall of the Empire etc)

Advertisement