Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Enterprise wasn't that bad tbh, i preferred it over voyager anyway

amen to that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Abrams and co. were tasked with making Star Trek appealing to a larger audience, and they did it pretty well imo. No, it wasn't perfect (or even great), but it did what summer blockbusters needed to do....entertain. Hopefully, with a few seasons, they'll be able to use what's there and actually bring back the spirit of the originals.

And forget that the Enterprise got to Vulcan in about 20 minutes...or Red Matter...or beaming from Earth to Kronos.

Hmm :/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Worst fears confirmed. Kurtzman developing a new Star Trek series. At least I could ignore the movies, they were ****e but there was always the (very slim) possibility of them going back to the TNG/DS9 timeline and continuing with a new series with a subtle writer who cared about the material.

That's gone now. Star Trek as I knew it officially dies with this announcement. The idea that the guy behind Transformers can be put in charge of Star Trek tv series makes me want to vomit...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Could it be Michael Dorns series?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd like to see something with the story-arcing and character development of DS9, which also had the best recurring characters. Although set on the Enterprise, preferably. If they're planning to reboot existing characters, it'd probably be best to leave the TOS characters to the film series and use TNG characters for the small screen. Ideally though, would be if we got a set of entirely new characters (with potential cameos from former Trek alumni)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

Enterprise wasn't that bad tbh, i preferred it over voyager anyway
    Both of those series were series that was tough to like - taken as awhole - but had superb episodes that justified them both.

That's why I hope this Abrams writer reimagines it from scratch, rather than ruining the 'original timeline'.

Then if it's rubbish, I can be indifferent and if it's good I can enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

I hope this will not turn out to be some race to the bottom lowest common denominator drama.

TNG was brilliant because much of it was intelligent, thought provoking and philosophical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

coolemon wrote: »
    I hope this will not turn out to be some race to the bottom lowest common denominator drama.

TNG was brilliant because much of it was intelligent, thought provoking and philosophical.

On reflection though, the 1st series was sorta cheesy. :p

That being said, I loved DS9 but the 1st series was dire.

AMKC wrote: »
    This could work out really well if they do it in the Mirror Universe. A Mirror Universe series how cool could that be. It could be dark and gritty just like tv is now but still be the prime universe Star Trek and you never know maybe even have some crossover with the good prime universe.

I really want to be happy and get excited about this but will wait until I see the first few trailers. Hopefully it will be good. I don,t mind which Universe as long as they are proper story's about real issues happening in the world now just like the Original series did it. Homeland can do it why can,t a new Star Trek do it.

TOS, DS9 and Enterprise all had mirror universe episodes. Unfortunately it was never ever included in TNG, I would have love to see the 'evil Picard' - instead of telling idiot boy Welsey to shut up, he'd just shoot him out the torpedo launcher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    TOS, DS9 and Enterprise all had mirror universe episodes. Unfortunately it was never ever included in TNG, I would have love to see the 'evil Picard' - instead of telling idiot boy Welsey to shut up, he'd just shoot him out the torpedo launcher :D

Have a look for the book Dark Mirror - while written before the DS9 Mirror Universe episodes (and thus not fitting with the plot of the Empire having been defeated) it's a good read.

I loved the ENT Mirror Universe episodes.. the only ones that I'd rewatch actually (well those and the Borg episode), mostly because the characters were far more interesting than their "our universe" counterparts.

• Advertisement

would have assumed the ep with the NCC 1701 D was a slight take on a mirror universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

“I can confirm it right now.” Dorn said. “CBS/Paramount is coming out with a television series in 2017 and from what I’ve read, it’s going to be the J.J. Abrams-universe. So, it’s going to be a different timeline and we are not in in.”

http://www.treknews.net/2015/11/08/dorn-confirms-new-star-trek-not-captain-worf-series/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

It's not Star Trek then. Time to move on. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that's actually disappointing :/ but i'll still watch it (the first episode at least)

It was always going to be in the new universe. Wouldn't make any sense to not take advantage of the renewed popularity (for better or worse) of Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

It's not a 100% cast iron it's Abrams universe. Dorn just says he "read" that's what it's going to be.

It's not going to be the 'old timeline' clearly (maybe that's for the best) but I'm holding out a slight hope they'll reimagine it from scratch like they did with BSG. Given it a new canon and so on.

I won't tolerate a transplant from movie to TV. But I don't think a TV audience would accept that anyway. TV series have got to do better than that to last their run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lets face it, it will be in the new universe. If TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT were to air today they wouldn't last two seasons. The canon universe is finished in the eyes of tv executives, and this JJ-universe offers them more creative freedom than the established one does so in that sense it does make sense. Personally though I'm disappointed, while the JJ Trek films are enjoyable as "Space Lazer Adventure 1 & 2", I don't feel they carry the essence of Star Trek within them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

so can we expect lens flare, lost-type plot twists in every single episode, found footage type deals and over the top gore, and violence?

All of that works for me, but not in Trek man

There's only so much they can do with a 2 hour film, especially when it was obviously trying to appeal to trekkies and non-trekkies alike. Lets be honest...the Star Trek we know and love was pretty much dead, bar some fan projects. JJ's Trek was designed as a summer blockbuster with the Trek name, and it was extremely successful from that point of view. A new show was always going to focus on that, as they'd be throwing away a huge amount of watchers by going back to the old universe.

I'm certainly not going to write it off, considering we know literally nothing about it so far.

would have assumed the ep with the NCC 1701 D was a slight take on a mirror universe

huh? I assume you meant the episode with the 1701C (female captain) that came through some sort of 'temporal wormhole' which changed the timeline, and then went back though to restore timeline and gave the series a Romulan Tasha Yar lookalike villain for future episodes? :D

• Advertisement

huh? I assume you meant the episode with the 1701C (female captain) that came through some sort of 'temporal wormhole' which changed the timeline, and then went back though to restore timeline and gave the series a Romulan Tasha Yar lookalike villain for future episodes? :D

Yep, typo!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

malcy wrote: »

Oh, by the lad who was involved the fantastic Hannibal TV series

This could be a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He wrote Bride of Chaotica....one of the most painful episodes of any Trek....but he wrote some crackers too, so all is forgiven :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Jaysus, Star Trek and the Stone Roses is one day? I've got one wish left so.

Just get a blow up, sorted 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He wrote Empok Nor which was a fantastic episode of DS9. Miles versus Garak.

"Maybe it's true. Maybe you're not a soldier anymore."
    "You're right. I'm an engineer."
    Boom

He wrote a lot of eps of Voyager too. Most of them have dark undertones in common which is unusual for trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

malcy wrote: »

This is probably the most encouraging news I've heard about Star Trek in over ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

As much as I loved DS9, I don't want another religious/dark/war type of series.

Bring back the fun exploration in Star Trek!

TNG had its flaws with character development, lack of continuity, everyone was kind of perfect etc but I loved it and I hope this new series emulates it.

Bring back Q :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

As much as I loved DS9, I don't want another religious/dark/war type of series.

Bring back the fun exploration in Star Trek!

TNG had its flaws with character development, lack of continuity, everyone was kind of perfect etc but I loved it and I hope this new series emulates it.

Bring back Q :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh I heard he was involved with Voyager and I was scared. But I loved that Bride of Chaotica. It was one of the few episodes I actually enjoyed. A bit of fun. And, needless to say, DS9 is a downright classic. I'm cautiously optimistic. He does want to lighten it up a bit and that's OK too: Doesn't ALL have to be doom-and-gloom. Light doesn't mean trivial and uninteresting: TNG would be probably concidered light these days. He's a big believer in building a universe which is good. My only concern is that it's going to be online/subscription only in the US. I'm assuming Sky will buy it for here but I'm just concerned that it will be so pirated that they make no money from it and cancel it.

Advertisement