Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

AMKC wrote: »
    An official teaser Poster for the new series has just been released.

http://www.treknews.net/2016/03/25/star-trek-all-access-teaser-poster/

Not yet confirmed as authentic though, and if it is the insignia reminds me of a pre TNG type, it's almost identical to TOS era.

Of course the insignia in the poster may not represent the actual series in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A TOS era insignia....groan....hope this isn't real :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Myrddin wrote: »

Blasphemy!!! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I'm with you. I'll be seriously disappointed if it's in the original series timeline. We need something fresh and new.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!! :P[/YOUTUBE]

TOS has already been done...& Enterprise showed that the prequel concept just limits itself badly. Something new is needed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It wouldn't surprise me if it was set 100-200 years down the line from the TNG era. Follows the adventures of the Enterprise-M, the first ship exploring another Galaxy.

I'm going to want a Credit when this turns out to be the case.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was set 100-200 years down the line from the TNG era. Follows the adventures of the Enterprise-M, the first ship exploring another Galaxy.

I think something like this would be best case. Transwarp being a regular and streamlined technology by this era, allowing intergalactic travel. There are some problems with it though, namely it being essentially TNG in different clothes. The writing needs to be excellent, if its to survive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still think it'll be set in the new universe, and will be set after the current crop of Trek movies. Maybe 20-30 years later. They'll do a TBG on it, and have an old Bones (played by Karl Urban) on the new ship. I just can't see them going back to the old universe.

It's not what i want to see, as i'd love something set after the TNG era shows. Get it back to an exploration type show, and have it set in a different Galaxy, as we know the vast majority of the existing galaxy already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Beefy78 wrote: »

Star Trek: Andromeda

I'm guessing that the promo poster was just using the TOS font/Insignia as something instantly recognisably Star Trek and, presumably, they don't have a marketing identity yet for the new show. I doubt we can can assume from it that it'll be set in the TOS era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Some interesting news.....

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3854222

Announcement of Bryan Fuller as showrunner and Nicholas Meyer as one of the chief writers and where the show might head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm pretty optimistic based on that.

Yeah, my interest has been raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

It will be interesting to see how he manages to change things while keeping "the bottle" the same. I'll give it a chance and hope he pulls it off. I really just hope they don't make it into some sort of dour drama. I want a hopeful message about the future, there's enough dystopian fiction already. There is room in this world for one franchise that makes people hopeful for tomorrow instead of apprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭GhostMutt30

I'm excited to see what Meyer brings to the show, hopefully it will be something new and unexpected, but I just really really hope we dont end up getting the usual 'alien of the week' where they just have a different forehead every time. That always bothered me about TNG onwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 the running joke

I'm excited to see what Meyer brings to the show, hopefully it will be something new and unexpected, but I just really really hope we dont end up getting the usual 'alien of the week' where they just have a different forehead every time. That always bothered me about TNG onwards

Exactly. I would hope that the new show limits itself as regards number of episodes per season. Even a great show with a 22-24 episode season will invariably have a good few duds thown in. I would like to see maybe 10-13 episodes max per season, with a decent budget afforded to each. I don't mean I want an epic space battle in every episode, but I really wish there are some decent production values that can really immerse us in some great stories. AND NO JJ AMBRAMSVERSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It's being reported that the new show is PRIME universe.

Set between Star Trek VI and TNG.

It's another prequel of sorts which is a shame but thank the Gods it's not JJ verse. Good riddance to that idiocy.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/brea...untry-pre-tng/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Goldstein wrote: »
    It's being reported that the new show is PRIME universe.

Set between Star Trek VI and TNG.

It's another prequel of sorts which is a shame but thank the Gods it's not JJ verse. Good riddance to that idiocy.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/brea...untry-pre-tng/

OK now that's the best news I've heard all week :)

I like it... I think that even though season 1 would be set post-TUC they'll surely have learned from the mistakes of Enterprise? It would seem that they've also learned from the mistake/reactions to the JJ films from the fans. The notion of then potentially jumping to post-Nemesis sounds great.

Plus proper movie and TNG-era ship designs again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,309 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This could be really good the best of both worlds. Imagine the cameos thhat could be had and the starship ides is good too. I am surprised it has not been used or thought of before.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I think its great maybe some storys in the 23rd century some and the 24th and maybe some even further 25th or 26th century maybe. I would also have no problem if some of the episodes were to go back further into the 22nd century or even 20th and 21st if the story works and is good. It could give us a chance to see the Romulan-Earth war maybe even if briefly and maybe the NX-01 revamped Enterprise too. I also like the idea of it being on a different ship but why not go a little further and have it set over two or three ships. The USS Bozeman I think would be one they could use.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I think its great maybe some storys in the 23rd century some and the 24th and maybe some even further 25th or 26th century maybe. I would also have no problem if some of the episodes were to go back further into the 22nd century or even 20th and 21st if the story works and is good. It could give us a chance to see the Romulan-Earth war maybe even if briefly and maybe the NX-01 revamped Enterprise too. I also like the idea of it being on a different ship but why not go a little further and have it set over two or three ships. The USS Bozeman I think would be one they could use.

If they go with different time periods per season then you can have multiple ships and crews with guest/cameos from the previous series...

The Earth/Romulan war
    Wolf 359
    The Dominion War

.. all from different perspectives :) Maybe even a few mirror universe episodes to fill in the blanks from TOS to DS9 (fall of the Empire etc)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I love this premise. Imagine a series based on a starship - lets call it the Prometheus.

Season 1 deals with the Prometheus in the late 22nd century.

Season 2 deals with the Prometheus-A in the early 24th century.

Season 3 deals with the Prometheus-B in the late 24th century.

Season 4 deals with the Prometheus-C in the mid 25th century.

etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

There has always been some support among Trek fans for a potential series taking place in the "lost era", which is that of the Enterprise-B and Enterprise-C, coming between STIV and TNG.

That said, I don't really see what's the appeal with going prequel after prequel after prequel nowadays, and with remakes - and I'm not just talking about Star Trek.

In the specific case, however, slotting in an existing lore is a minefield and somewhat restricts what the writers can do. Considering that Star Trek has always been an allegory about current society with the few duds left in between (often even the "alien of the week" was a take on something specific), going post-Nemesis would be the best option - plenty of opportunity for new storylines. Another interesting take would be to see things from different perspectives, for example gaining more access to the Romulans (which, if the crosspoint between original timeline and the JJVerse is to be kept, are now without a home planet and trying to rebuild, a storyline explored in Star Trek Online). We saw a little bit of the switching perspectives in DS9, and it worked well - especially when the Federation were shown not to be the "squeaky clean saints" as they were portrayed before; "In the pale moonlight" was one of the best DS9 and perhaps overall ST episodes ever released (and source of a very well known meme!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

really like the sound of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    going post-Nemesis would be the best option - plenty of opportunity for new storylines. Another interesting take would be to see things from different perspectives

I think a problem with post-Nemesis is that you're then continuing a story which a lot of people have seriously invested in but an awful lot more people aren't or are no longer interested in at all. It's the era with the most 'baggage' and history to adhere to; would make it difficult to start fresh and attract a new audience. Even the further future in that timeline has been reasonably well mapped out.

If they are going with an anthology style though, with stories and characters perhaps spanning a season and being replaced with new characters and stories in the next, that should lead into seeing "things from different perspectives" – which might be great! It's a big universe out there, there's plenty to explore.

And maybe even different timelines in different seasons. Although if they do stick with one, I think that time between Star Trek VI and TNG is a great choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I actually think that time around the entrerprise B looks timeless. Love the uniforms and that Excelsior model is my favourite starship.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I actually think that time around the entrerprise B looks timeless. Love the uniforms and that Excelsior model is my favourite starship.

The Excelsior is a beautiful ship and the refit looks great too IMO - one of the reasons I love TSFS is it's our first look at the class and the stealing the Enterprise scene with the Excelsior in pursuit is fantastic :)

I've always preferred the WoK/movie era uniforms as well, although the later TNG one and later DS9 era weren't bad. Never took to the original DS9/VOY uniform and I'm still lost as to why the Enterprise-D crew kept switching styles between every scene in Generations.

Goodshape wrote: »
    I think a problem with post-Nemesis is that you're then continuing a story which a lot of people have seriously invested in but an awful lot more people aren't or are no longer interested in at all. It's the era with the most 'baggage' and history to adhere to; would make it difficult to start fresh and attract a new audience. Even the further future in that timeline has been reasonably well mapped out.

This is true, although I'm not sure about the "lost interest". The vast majority of "old trekkies" would like to know what happens after the Dominion War and those who didn't watch any ST before would have no idea anyways.

The key there is if they disregard all of the books that have been out with various storylines and para-official lines such as the one featured in Star Trek Online. If they do (to my knowledge, none of the novel storylines has ever been directly referenced in the shows) then there isn't that much mapped afterall, especially if they skip 50-100 years in the future.

Going backwards would have two pitfalls that I can immediately see: first, there'd be an Enterprise-like conundrum. They'd need to make technology look more modern that what we currently have, but not more modern than what's shown in TNG, DS9 and VOY - and a lot of the stuff is way outdated. It could result in a very odd photography, just like Enterprise's was.

The second...they could not use the Borg. Now, to be entirely honest I never really dug the whole fixation about the Borg menace, but the general public seem to like them as a foe and some of the highest rated TNG episodes are the ones with a Cube or Sphere showing up. To be honest, they'd actually be much more current in this specific day and time as a "is this what we're heading for?" allegory than they ever where in the 1987-2001 period.

Goodshape wrote: »
    If they are going with an anthology style though, with stories and characters perhaps spanning a season and being replaced with new characters and stories in the next, that should lead into seeing "things from different perspectives" – which might be great! It's a big universe out there, there's plenty to explore.

And maybe even different timelines in different seasons. Although if they do stick with one, I think that time between Star Trek VI and TNG is a great choice.

It's actually an absolutely brilliant idea, but I'm afraid the general TV audience, which any show needs to cater to, is way too stupid to appreciate that. People have a gigantically hard time following movies whose scripts are only slightly non linear, I can't imagine many would like the "jumping around" timelines, universes and so on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

An anthology style would be a good way of preventing the series from stagnating but surely it'd be nightmare from a production point of view? They'd have to scrap and build sets each season. I like the time period of the gap between ST:VI & TNG as it would have the Klingons as both enemies and allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The second...they could not use the Borg. Now, to be entirely honest I never really dug the whole fixation about the Borg menace, but the general public seem to like them as a foe and some of the highest rated TNG episodes are the ones with a Cube or Sphere showing up. To be honest, they'd actually be much more current in this specific day and time as a "is this what we're heading for?" allegory than they ever where in the 1987-2001 period.

I think staying away from the Borg would be the best thing this new series could do. Thanks to Voyager the Borg were over-used as antagonists. Using the Klingons as 'insurgents' who won't accept peace treaties would be far more relevant in this day & age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I think staying away from the Borg would be the best thing this new series could do. Thanks to Voyager the Borg were over-used as antagonists. Using the Klingons as 'insurgents' who won't accept peace treaties would be far more relevant in this day & age.

Good idea.

Klingon Empire leaders as akin to Iranian Shah and internal revolution leading to reassessment of relationship with the Federation and acts of terrorism against familiar planets would be an interesting angle while all the time Federation bungling how to deal with it. Consequential heavy-handed security in Federation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm of two minds about having the new show set between TOS and TNG.

On one hand, i loved the look and feel of the later original movies. As said above, the Excelsior class is beautiful ship, and would love to see more of it. It also has a newly (and i'm sure) tenuous peace agreement with the Klingons, and the potential of the Romulan war to go over.

On the other hand, I'd worry that they might get a bit stuck on what they can do with it. There wouldn't be any game changing tech advances, probably not a lot of room for any major conflicts, and i'd worry that they might try to add in names just for the appeal of having people you recognise. Maybe a brilliant engineer called Noonian Soong, or an aging Captain Harriman (capt of the Ent B).

Although, now that i've said that, i wouldn't mind seeing some of that. Even get Fraiser back for an episode where his ship gets stuck in that loop :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

We are getting new Star Trek, REAL Star Trek!!! :):):)

The joy of this hasn't really sunk in yet.

Only heard about the anthology angle today. Loving that idea and the freedom it gives them from a writing perspective. So much fertile ground for fun stories.

Due to these decisions and what they say about the attitudes of those making them I am now officially on board with this show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

has there been anymore info on when we can expect it to hit TV screens?

Ms

Greyjoy wrote: »
    An anthology style would be a good way of preventing the series from stagnating but surely it'd be nightmare from a production point of view? They'd have to scrap and build sets each season. I like the time period of the gap between ST:VI & TNG as it would have the Klingons as both enemies and allies.

Maybe it would not be too bad they could just re use sets but dress them up differently they have done that before and it did not cost that much more and they used old sets like the Original Enterprise movie set as the the set for the Battlebridge on the Enterprise D so it can be done. Same with Engineering the Warp Core on Voyager is basically the same as the One in the Enterprise A.

Budget could be the biggest problem I see If they are going to do a different Century each season that means new Special Effects, GCI , uniforms etc and all that each season and that could cost a lot. If it was just set say in the 24th century like Next Gen that means sometimes there is shots that can be re used instead of having to be filmed again which reduces costs. Don,t get me wrong I think the idea is brilliant and hopefully it happens but these will have to be overcome first.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Would the effects/CGI cost not have come down massively since even say ENT? That should help I'd think as long as they don't do a George Lucas and go overkill with it. There's a lot to be said for physical sets and models - even in 2016.

Also if they go with a different ship/crew each season that cuts wages as you don't have to retain key actors each year and they must have tonnes of uniforms from each time period lying around in a warehouse somewhere at this stage. Ditto ship models unless they go further into the future and need new designs.

The more I think about the concept though the more I'm excited :)

Let's just hope they keep true to the general nature of Star Trek, focusing the series around exploration and "interstellar politics" and don't go to a please-the-unwashed-masses teen drama scenario where the focus is who-sleeps-with-whom with the added "oh, also, we're in space!" background scenario. I...have a bad feeling about this.

Also, historically Trek had two big issues - on one side, there's the lack of interest of the generic public who finds it "complicated" or "silly" and the ones being silly about it - I'm talking the hardcore nerdragers who'll inevitably pick every single minute of every single episode and lambast it into kingdom come with over the top criticism (like counting torpedoes and the likes).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

How many episodes do you reckon would be in each season, most of the best series only have 12 a season these days

Also would any of you be against a continuation of the next Generation with some of that crew, Obviously Picard is probably too old(still very spritely for his age mind you) and probably a little too high profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wouldn't mind if it went on after the dominion war, but I Would prefer a different ship, the federation's flagship and her crew need a break, the crew have all aged a lot since it last aired. Wouldnt look right and even with cgi and topnotch makeup artists they'd still look at least 20 years older than they did. So for continuity's sake, no.

Looks likely to be set before Picard but after Kirk

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.339/70562/0/

Also its the original timeline not JJ verse.

bets still on for The USS Excelsior!

• Advertisement

Am I correct in noting that there's nothing explicitly stating that this won't be in the JJ-verse? We've seen a quote from Meyer that states he felt JJ maybe changed some of the central characters, but does that wholly rule out the actual JJ-verse itself? I hope so, as the Trek reboot isn't Trek to me.

I'm fine with a prequel first season, and that 'lost era' post TUC and before TNG has a wealth of stories to be told. However, some of the fun is lost when you already know the outcome, prequelitius if you will. I'd love to see an anthology show:

1st Season - Excelsior era (post TUC & pre TNG)
    2nd Season - TNG/DS9 era
    3rd Season - Nemesis/post-Voyager era
    4th Season - 27th century or somesuch

All somehow connected, related, and tied together would be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I can't believe they're going with a prequel in the non-JJ verse. Enterprise was a flop (even though I actually liked it). What makes them think this will work? There is just something less interesting about prequels.

What makes them think this will work?

...because Rick Berman is nowhere near it. Did you ever hear his idea for the first season of Enterprise?
    Berman's original idea for the series was to have the entire first season set on Earth as Humanity's first-ever warp starship was constructed

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Enterprise

Jaysis...

Has there been any indication of the format? Will they go for episodic where each episode is more or less self contained? Or are they going for a more grandiose storyline arching over the entire series?

bets still on for The USS Excelsior!

Wasn't there rumours of scripts and plans for a excelsior show before Enterprise?

Wasn't there rumours of scripts and plans for a excelsior show before Enterprise?

Dunno, i think it's something that everyone kind of wanted to see more of, since the undiscovered country showed Sulu captaining her. I'd forgotten that ship had transwarp drive and Voyager's Tuvoc was Sulu's suckup junior science officer

Dunno, i think it's something that everyone kind of wanted to see more of, since the undiscovered country showed Sulu captaining her. I'd forgotten that ship had transwarp drive and Voyager's Tuvoc was Sulu's suckup junior science officer

Wasn't the transwarp idea abandoned before Excelsior entered "production" status and she just had standard warp drive?

So.. original or refit? I prefer the refit myself:

latest?cb=20141130002820

it was working in STIII until Scotty sabotaged it (when the crew stole the Enterprise to go looking for Spock) - i think for lore's sake they just left it out from there until the borg in TNG, and again in Voyager

tbh i dont like the starfleet ships - they look ..fragile - apart from the defiant and danube classes they all look like they're about to topple over. More DS9 fanboyism i guess, but The klingon birds of prey are the same, just green and upside down versions of the same wonky looking model without the saucer section. Actually, even the Vulcan ships dont look like they have a logical design.

It all seems like a waste of space, they could have made a more efficient design while still needing dual warp nacelles. Just personal opinion mind you, i know some people love the iconic ships

Even the Ferengi have sturdy looking ships :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Am I correct in noting that there's nothing explicitly stating that this won't be in the JJ-verse? We've seen a quote from Meyer that states he felt JJ maybe changed some of the central characters, but does that wholly rule out the actual JJ-verse itself? I hope so, as the Trek reboot isn't Trek to me.

I'm fine with a prequel first season, and that 'lost era' post TUC and before TNG has a wealth of stories to be told. However, some of the fun is lost when you already know the outcome, prequelitius if you will. I'd love to see an anthology show:

1st Season - Excelsior era (post TUC & pre TNG)
    2nd Season - TNG/DS9 era
    3rd Season - Nemesis/post-Voyager era
    4th Season - 27th century or somesuch

All somehow connected, related, and tied together would be class.

I think it's a contractual thing, Paramount own the film rights and CBS the TV rights so if CBS want to set it in the JJ-verse then they need to pay Paramount for the privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I think it's stupid.

There. I said it.

It should be set in the JJ-verse, and go back to treks roots, but in what are now familiar surroundings.

Doing something in the prime universe is just ridiculous, and trying to shoehorn it in between TUC and TNG is just going to be a nightmare, introducing races we never saw in tng's 7 year run.

Advertisement