Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since DS9 has been added to Netflix
    Oh? Must check this out. Have seen 80% of the episodes, but some I would have missed. Think my interest waned near the end, especially when Jadzia Dax got a new host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Myrddin wrote: »
    You've lost me :confused: How do you mean?

I mean that at best st is loosely internally consistent when it comes to things that are and aren't possible.

Jadzia outliving Dax, I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to write in some mcguffin to make that possible.

How did Odo get infected with the bioweapon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How did Odo get infected with the bioweapon?

Section 31

Section 31

But how, and when?

Also, just watching "when it rains" , and Garak straight up admits that he was in the obsidian order to a gang of randomer Cardassians and no one bats an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

But how, and when?
    I think it was at a medical exam during Homefront / Paradise Lost but not shown on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ohhhh... square boxiness and 90's graphics :D

Watched When it rains last night and fell asleep during the episode after it so notes are a bit sketchy.

Good episode. Shtealing the Breen weapon, Bashir and O'Brien make a plan. CAssidy burns some peppers. Worf duels and kills Gowran. Damar makes a big decision.

Notes:

Sisko definitely nudges Worf to do something about Gowran, and he knows what that means.

In the end Gowran is undone because he politicked during war, but Worfs charge of cowardice is weak I feel. In Fairness to Gowran, despite not being regarded a great warrior, he doesn't hesitate for a moment when challenged, and backs himself totally against Worf. It's worth noting that had Worfs sword broken and fallen anywhere else he would have lost the fight.

Epic scene where a Cardassian guard recognises Damar, slightly over played, but still great.

Interesting scene where Odo is pushed on what he thought was happening to Bajorans he arrested during the occupation is cut short. It's shocking that Odo never seems to get any grief for being a collaborator. I know he was basically decent to people, but he was still a collaborator. He must have blood on his hands.

Why do the Breen not press the advantage and really attack Earth. They don't seem to have any qualms about involving civilians in the war, or have any great difficulty dealing with Federation defences.

"Even my people never attacked Earth" - Martok, You'd have to wonder why, given that it is generally defended by one ship that has a vital part missing.

Epic Scene with Garak emerging from the shadows with a gun, having watched Kira and Rusot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I like Garaks speech at the end, cant remember it word for word but basically we're going to have to kill him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just watched Duet in season 1. Brilliant episode. Marritza / Gul Darhe'el was fantastic, really played his part well. Also gave some nice character development for Kira.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: Jadzia's death, I think what really annoyed me about was the sense that Farrell had been given the elevator shaft treatment, i.e. given a meaningless, cold blooded death ensuring that she could never return to the show as punishment for having the nerve to ask out her contract. Same thing happened to Denise Crosby. The funny thing about that was that Behr, Moore et al were part of the new generation of TNG writers who sought to re-do Tasha Yar's death in Yesterday's Enterprise in order to give her a more fitting send off, so it was sad to see those same writers do it to another actor on a show that by their own accounts they were left to their own devices on.

They knew that the show only had a year left to run and her death was the point of no return for Dukat.
    Up to that point there was always the on/off potential that he would pull a Damar and become the anti hero again.

The very senseless nature of her death was even more shocking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They knew that the show only had a year left to run and her death was the point of no return for Dukat.
    Up to that point there was always the on/off potential that he would pull a Damar and become the anti hero again.

The very senseless nature of her death was even more shocking

I get that that's what they were going for. Moore went on to do the senseless death thing very effectively in BSG and I suspect (after the decision was made at the producer level) he was the driving force behind killing her in the manner that they did. However, I don't think that kind of death works on Star Trek. We'd seen characters survive far worse on an almost weekly basis. Hell, we'd seen characters die and come back to life. After that you can't just do a "bang, they're dead" type death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I get that that's what they were going for. Moore went on to do the senseless death thing very effectively in BSG

Ah the auld airlocked approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

so I've just started this in the last few weeks. Already through season 1 and about midway through season 2. I had watched it when it originally aired, but christ it clearly flew over my head how sleezy the Doc was in the 1st season :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

1.13 - O' Brien, the prophet? :pac: WTF? :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just finished the last episode. It kind of leaves the entire star trek world on a big cliffhanger. I wonder if that's part of the reason they keep going back to the early years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ScumLord wrote: »
    Just finished the last episode. It kind of leaves the entire star trek world on a big cliffhanger. I wonder if that's part of the reason they keep going back to the early years.

The last episode didn't work as well as TNG's All Good Things IMO. The first hour is great, but then it's almost like the writers realised.. "hmm, we have another hour here! OK let's just wrap up/rush the whole Dukat/Sisko/Prophets thing, and give each character a 60 second montage send off".

Now admittedly, they knew that Generations was on the cards for TNG but as a story/finalé What You Leave Behind was a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The last episode didn't work as well as TNG's All Good Things IMO. The first hour is great, but then it's almost like the writers realised.. "hmm, we have another hour here! OK let's just wrap up/rush the whole Dukat/Sisko/Prophets thing, and give each character a 60 second montage send off".

Now admittedly, they knew that Generations was on the cards for TNG but as a story/finalé What You Leave Behind was a bit disappointing.
    It was, it kind of felt like a desperate attempt to set up another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I loved the ending, there was a real sadness to it seeing the band break up, and the loss of Sisko. Not as good as all good things, but still brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Out of TNG, Voyager and DS9, I think the DS9 finale was my least favourite. I thought Voyager ended very well!
    I love the episode Trials and Tribbilations, and I just recently saw the original The Trouble With Tribbils last week. Brilliantly done!

SarahBM wrote: »
    Out of TNG, Voyager and DS9, I think the DS9 finale was my least favourite. I thought Voyager ended very well!
    I love the episode Trials and Tribbilations, and I just recently saw the original The Trouble With Tribbils last week. Brilliantly done!

I think it's a real shame that they didn't add the scene with Sisko to the end of the tos episode in the remastered version.

I think it's a real shame that they didn't add the scene with Sisko to the end of the tos episode in the remastered version.

What would have been cool there is if they'd added the various scenes where the DS9 crew were in the background to the original TOS episode - eg: the scene were Kirk takes the call from the bridge in the corridor and Sisko and Dax are in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

anytime i've watched that episode i've had to watch the DS9 one afterwards, brilliantly done

Been having a bit of a run through lately myself.. just watched His Way.

I admit it, always gets me at the end :D

Awwwwwww!! :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finished season 2, and the episode Jem'Hadar did a really good job of showing how menacing the Dominion would be. There were almost like early day Borg...whispers and rumors, followed by a massive show of force. Can't wait to start season 3, as that is when it really kicks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kiith wrote: »
    Finished season 2, and the episode Jem'Hadar did a really good job of showing how menacing the Dominion would be. There were almost like early day Borg...whispers and rumors, followed by a massive show of force. Can't wait to start season 3, as that is when it really kicks off.

Was very clever how they were slowly introduced over season two. This shadowy yet massive juggernaut of an Empire, somewhere, out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm in the middle of watching every episode of Star Trek and I'm up to the middle of season 3 of DS9 now. I used to think season 1 and 2 of DS9 were pretty meh but now I think they might be the best first two seasons of a Star Trek series aside from TOS. Granted that's not a very high bar but there are some great episodes in there.

Was very clever how they were slowly introduced over season two. This shadowy yet massive juggernaut of an Empire, somewhere, out there...

It was good to have them on the other side of the galaxy, no way that they could appear on their borders in alpha quadrant without advanced warning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Season 2. Oh, there's Frank Langella and O' Brien gets a hair cut. :pac:

Advertisement