Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Writing this out now. I’m thinking it’d be far more straightforward if the rep range that is 7-9, I start week 1 and just do 9. Week 2 do 8 week 3 do 7, all at RPE 6-7 as per instructions. No need for percentage guides either. Adjust weight based on rpe Is this a bad idea?

Is that different from the actual program ad regards subsequent weeks?

But yeah, adjusting weight based on RPE is fine. You'll have to work up in sets of (for example) 8 until the set of 8 that is at the right RPE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is that different from the actual program ad regards subsequent weeks?

But yeah, adjusting weight based on RPE is fine. You'll have to work up in sets of (for example) 8 until the set of 8 that is at the right RPE

Well it’s a tad different. The programs states 7-9. But further on in the progression section it says to reduce reps each week by 1 and increase load. So I thought it’d be more straightforward just to start at 9, then 8, then 7, Deload and repeat, and be conscious to try increase weight from the previous week.
    Yeah I’ll allow the first month to be a learning block and get a feel for it

Well it’s a tad different. The programs states 7-9. But further on in the progression section it says to reduce reps each week by 1 and increase load. So I thought it’d be more straightforward just to start at 9, then 8, then 7, Deload and repeat, and be conscious to try increase weight from the previous week.
    Yeah I’ll allow the first month to be a learning block and get a feel for it

Then it seems like setting it at 9, 8, 7 makes it a little more straightforward.

When you say you'll be conscious to try and increase weight from previous week, try to focus more on the RPE and let the weight follow. If you over my focus on increasing the weight, you'll likely wind up overshooting the RPE. Bear it in mind but don't overshoot RPE. Reality is more often than not you will go heavier if you're reducing number of reps you need to do.

High bar squat
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 6
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5 @7 I’d say

Ok seeing as it’s been nearly a month since I squatted and added in the Xmas rest I think its not wise to jump in head first. High bar squatting is part of the new program and it ages since I done these. Sore as feck on the neck.
    I really felt these in my hip flexors. Hope that’s normal. 90 x 5 was ok. Hard to know where I’m at with these due to lack of squatting lately.

Bench press
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 5 easy
    50kg x 5 easy
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 2 x 5

Diving into the unknown. Feels weird being under the bar again. There is still a tiny little niggle. Benching is going to be very up and down. I’ll have to take into account RPE, ego, and watching for signs of pain. Today’s benching 60kg x 5 felt like RPE 6.

Lat pulldown
    50 x 8
    60 x 9 @6
    70 x 9 @7

Ab wheel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

On your neck? How high are you high barring

• Advertisement

Sounds like the bar is a touch too high.
    Probably need to bring your grip in a touch and rest it more on the top of your traps so you do high bar squats instead of neck squats.

Well no, it’s at the base of the neck. The bar is on the traps. I just find it very sore, but then I should, until I get used to it I suppose. I’ll try re adjust next time to see if it’s easier. I found myself leaning too forward, almost low bar technique a few times

Well no, it’s at the base of the neck. The bar is on the traps. I just find it very sore, but then I should, until I get used to it I suppose. I’ll try re adjust next time to see if it’s easier. I found myself leaning too forward, almost low bar technique a few times

It should be just below the base of the neck. It shouldn't be sore, per se.

Also, you should be more upright than low bar - with more noticeable focus on quads as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What Alf said.

You need to remember that the movement pattern and associated cues are going to be fairly different considering how long you've been LB squatting. Record yourself but try to get your feet in the shot to see if there's any subtle heel lifting going on.

If you have the time, try to experiment a little with stance width. Personally, my HB (and front) stance is a little narrower than LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

HB is so much better than LB - you'll love it after a few weeks! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

HB is so much better than LB - you'll love it after a few weeks! :D:D:D

Except for the lifting less bit :p

Except for the lifting less bit :p

Less is more :cool::cool:

Plus when you get a new HB PR you get to tell yourself, "and sure I could lift an extra 20kg if it was LB like"

Less is more :cool::cool:

Plus when you get a new HB PR you get to tell yourself, "and sure I could lift an extra 20kg if it was LB like"

Haha. I started off my squatting journey doing HB. All the cool kids were low barring so I had to join the club. It took me months of perseverance trying to get the upper body flexibility. Now I have it, I’m not gonna lose it. It’s good to mix in a little HB.

HB Squat

Bar x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    85kg x 3
    100kg x 2 x 6 @8

I placed the bar a little lower. It helped with the discomfort. I can really feel these kill my quads. I do feel this slightly uncomfortable for my hip flexors. Prob just a matter of getting used to them.

Bench press
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 3 x 6

Feckin shoulder is still weird. Not painful though. Although saying that, set 2 was perfect, discomfort wise

LB squat.
    Toe squats
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    90kg x 3
    110kg x 2
    130kg x 2 @6/7
    140kg x 2 @8

Squats were comfortable. Really comfortable. Didn’t go heavier, no need to. Just getting a rough gauge as to where RPE is, at my normal working sets

Bench press
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 7
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5 @ 8.5

Slight discomfort but very happy that I can do 70 x 5. I thought I’d be ALOT weaker than that. I’d go to a faith healer at this stage, to fix this shoulder.

Behind the back bb shrugs
    70kg x 20
    90kg x 15
    110kg x 12
    120kg x 12
    90kg x 20

Gotta love those traps, bro.

Biceps/triceps

I’m finding it hard to get back into routine after Xmas. Finger will be removed Monday.

LB squat.
    Toe squats
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    90kg x 3
    110kg x 2
    130kg x 2 @6/7
    140kg x 2 @8

Squats were comfortable. Really comfortable. Didn’t go heavier, no need to. Just getting a rough gauge as to where RPE is, at my normal working sets

Bench press
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 7
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5 @ 8.5

Slight discomfort but very happy that I can do 70 x 5. I thought I’d be ALOT weaker than that. I’d go to a faith healer at this stage, to fix this shoulder.

Always good to work up to working sets with the same number of reps as working sets so you can gauge RPE because how it feels may vary from day to day, so just gauge it that way and don't force the weight up for the sake of going heavier than the week before.

Drop exercises that bring discomfort for the shoulder or you're not giving it a chance to heal. Or work in a ROM that doesn't aggravate it. That might be floor press as a substitute for bench...something that takes some of bench stress off shoulder. I can't squat because once hip angle closes beyond a point, there's discomfort. So I take out that ROM and box squat. Same idea.

Neutral grip bench might work too depending on the shoulder issue, though I find it comes at the cost of burning tris :pac:

I seriously thought you were having a finger removed there for a sec!

I seriously thought you were having a finger removed there for a sec!

That made me LOL after I read it back. Had no idea what you meant for a second.

Deadlift 20mm deficit

60kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    160kg x 3 @7
    170kg x 1 @8

OHP
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 8
    35kg x 7
    40kg x 3 x 6 @no discomfort :)

Lat pulldown ng
    80 x 6
    90 x 6
    100 x 4

Lat raises 8kg x 3 x 10

Ab wheel paused x 3 x 10.

Ok program starts tomorrow. No fingers being surgically removed, Only metaphorically ;) . Ab wheel paused is a whole other dimension of torture I didn’t know existed.

Day 1 week 1

Squat
    90kg x 3 x 9 @6

That was shockingly easy. I reckon I was 10kg lighter than I should’ve been. Being brutally honest, I was going easy on myself day 1.

Bench press
    40kg x 9
    45kg x 4 x 9 @6

Again, on the conservative side of RPE 6. I’ve given myself a few weeks to climatise to this so won’t dwell on mistakes at this early stage.
    I’ve a feeling that once the weight starts To increase, pain will return. It could be a return to dumbbells shortly.

RDL

120kg x 3 x 6 @7

Should’ve been @8. Didn’t spot that till after.

Lat pulldown
    70 x 3 x 9 @7

Lat pulldown I feel I got it bang on with RPE.
    All in all a good day. I enjoyed it

• Advertisement

Are there multiple squat days with other days at higher RPE?

Are there multiple squat days with other days at higher RPE?

There is. Every day starts with squats. Reps and RPE vary.

That's just daily undulating periodization so working in different rep ranges at different intensities - supposedly ranges for hypertrophy, strength and power - in order to get a lot more volume in across the week without compromising recovery. That way you get more technique practice and neurological training.

Don't sail too close to the sun - that's what the whole purpose is. So sets @ 8-9, don't shoot for 9 because you're more likely to overshoot.

Week 1 month 1 day 2

Squat
    120kg x 5 x 3 @6

Pretty handy to be honest. Then again, @6, it should be I assume.

Bench press
    60kg x 6 x 3 @6

Very Minor discomfort, but I feel if I can tweak the bar path it’ll help me, cause there plenty of painless reps in there. I feel RPE was accurate enough @6.

Deadlift
    130kg x 5 x 3 @6
    Deadlift was good. I really concentrated on form and good technique

Week 1 month 1 day 3

Squat
    120kg x 3 x 5 @8

Bench press
    60kg x 4 x 5 @8

OHP
    35kg x 3 x 6 @8

Back after my lazy spell. Tired. Squat was pretty good, an easy 8.

The discomfort on bench seems to be when Im pushing the bar off the chest. Tried a couple of reps where I lowered the bar to within 2” and it was perfect. Should I do these for a while I wonder?

OHP was an easy 8 too

The discomfort on bench seems to be when Im pushing the bar off the chest. Tried a couple of reps where I lowered the bar to within 2” and it was perfect. Should I do these for a while I wonder?

I'd be inclined to switch to a pin press (pins/safeties a couple of inches above the chest) or floor press for a while and remove the ROM that causes the discomfort.

Or try neutral grip DB press and see if the issue was internal rotation in the movement (not that it's necessarily that simplistic)

Week 1 month 1 day 4

HB Squat
    100kg x 3 x 6 @8

Comfortable enough. I was expecting doms from yesterday, but nothing. I find myself getting good depth with high bar. Maybe that’s how Clarence goes so low.

CGBP
    60kg x 4 x 6

Don’t think I’ve ever done these. Painless and with full reps too. Good. I used a grip width similar to my OHP. It felt good pushing hard, with no discomfort.

Deadlift

Skullcrushers
    25kg x 3 x 10
    1 min rest

Leg were wobbly doing these. Weight wasn’t too bad in fairness. Last set prob 8.5.

All in all I’d say I got the RPE bang on today

Yeah you're body is more upright so you have more room to go deeper on high bar. Same on front squats

• Advertisement

Month 1 week 2 day 1

Squat
    100kg x 3 x 8 @6

The RPE range was 6-7 for today’s squats. They were all 6’s. Got them all good n deep too

Benchpress
    50kg x 4 x 8 @6

I tried a few warmup reps with full rom and it was fine so I chanced it. No pain or discomfort. As the sets went on it got easier if anything. Set 4 was prob RPE 5. I’m not too worried if I undershoot on Bench. Recovery recovery recovery.

Rdl
    130kg x 3 x 5 @8

I almost forget how horrible these are

Lat pulldown NG
    75 x 3 x 8 @8

Advertisement