Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building callouses and chasing goals

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A good high volume phase is simple and brutal but really stands to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

A good high volume phase is simple and brutal but really stands to you.

That's all that gets me through high volume phases!!

Thursday

Back Squat
    3x10 90
    Felt light,but my lungs were burning

Power Jerk from Rack
    4x4 70
    4 reps is no joke on these

RDL
    3x10 80

Bent Over Row
    3x10 50

Lat Pulldown
    3x10
    Klokov Press
    3x10 20

SNATCH
    4x3 65

PUSH PRESS
    3x10 50

BACK SQUAT
    3X10 100

BENCH
    10x30
    10x40
    10x45
    8x50

SEATED ROW
    2x12 easy weight

Squats felt really good. Surprised myself there

Ive gotten so bad for updating this. Never on my laptop much these days and boards isnt very phone friendly.

MONDAY

Snatch 4x3 70
    Push Press 3x10 50
    Back Squat 2x10 110

Tried a 3rd set of squats but was sure id throw up if i tried even a single rep so stopped at 2 sets.

WEDNESDAY

Back Squat 3x10 110
    Jerks from Blocks 4x4 80
    Rdl 3x10 90

Squats were way better tonight,felt easy

Monday
    Snatch
    5x2 60
    Clean and Jerk
    6x1 80
    Push Press
    5x5 50
    Back Squat
    5x5 100
    Ab rollout
    3x6
    New program, loads of strength work on it. cant wait to get actually strong again.

Friday

Snatch
    5x2 60
    Clean and Jerk
    6x1 80
    Bench Press
    1x5 40

3x5 50
    1x5 60

Back Squat
    5x5 100
    Squats felt really good, apparently I dont brace my core at all when I squat...so trying to fix that with some help

• Advertisement

Had a week off last week because I was presenting my undergraduate thesis and needed to go drinking instead of the gym haha.

MONDAY
    Snatch 5x2 65
    Clean and jerk 6x1 85
    Back Squat 5x5 105
    Squats felt really heavy but solid that day. Missed a bunch of snatches behind, couldn't get my shoulders warmed up.

WEDNESDAY
    Snatch 5x2 65
    Clean and Jerk 6x1 85
    Back Squat 5x5 105
    Bench Press 5x5 50
    Squats felt amazing, even though its still tiny weight yet It felt like a warmup. Starting to get the technique of bracing the core now.

Competed in the Munster Open in Clonmel last Saturday. Did pretty well overall, lifted pretty good especially since I nearly missed the whole lot as they were running significantly ahead of schedule. Was told id be on the platform in 20 minutes after I got in the door ugh.

Snatch
    90x
    Clean and Jerk
    112x

The 90 snatch was so close, just overpulled a bit and couldnt stop it from going behind me, will be simple next time.
    The poor clean and Jerk really is just a lack of strength right now

Monday

Snatch
    5x2 70
    Clean and Jerk
    6x1 95
    Squat
    5x5 115
    Abs, Seated rows, glute ham raises 4x8
    Quite a tough session but got through.

Wednesday

Snatch
    5x2 70
    Clean and Jerk
    6x1 95
    Squat
    5x5 115
    Wasn't going to train tonight as I felt so exhausted when I got to the gym. However it was some of the best squatting ive done in months. Some of these technical changes im making are having a huge difference.

Friday

Power Snatch
    5x2 60

Power Clean+Power Jerk
    6x1 85

Deadlift
    5x5 135

Powers felt really fast and sharp, my clean technique is really coming together. Deadlifts were awful, my pull has gotten really really weak.

Monday

Snatch
    5x2 72.5

Clean and Jerk
    6x1 100

Squat
    5x5 120
    The squats were so easy, felt like warmups. All the change of breathing technique I made is making me way tighter during the lift and I feel way stronger.

Last week overall was pretty poor except for the squats. Did an accessory day last friday to give the body a break. This week is also exam week so im hoping to train if I can fit it in. Hopefully I can

Snatch
    5x2 77.5
    One miss

Clean and Jerk
    5x105
    1 miss

Back Squat
    5x5 130

Snatches are getting heavy again but they're feeling good. Squats were really good, thats the heaviest i've gone for reps like that in so long. Have an unbelievable low back pump now, can barely stand up.

• Advertisement

Another major setback. Got glandular fever right before exams. This is my first week back in the gym since my last post. Still cant eve walk to the bus without being out of breath and I've lost 6kgs of bodyweight.

Did a number of fun things though in that time so its not all bad, two holidays, bought a skateboard, got a job and graduated with first class honours woo!

Tuesday
    Muscle Snatch+Paused Overhead Squat
    4x(4,4) 30
    Snatch
    4x3 40
    Squat
    5x5 60
    DB Bench
    4x8 12.5
    Incline DB Bench
    4x8 12.5
    Bent Over Row
    4x8 40

Thursday
    Strict Press
    4x8 30
    Clean, Push Press, Paused Jerk
    4x(1,4,2) 40
    Front Squat
    5x5 50
    Buglarian Split Squats
    4x8 20
    Crunches
    4x20
    Leg Extension
    4x8

You're alive!! \o/

bluewolf wrote: »
    You're alive!! \o/

Just about. Not in good shape though haha

Repeated the same two last again last week.

And then Monday

Squat
    5x5 80
    Rdl
    5x5 60
    Bench
    5x30
    2x5 40
    4x50
    Cable Rows
    3x10
    Have some serious muscle pains today

Monday

Snatch
    3x50
    3x3 60

Absolutely horrible looking, recorded the last set and was disgusted, my technique is completely gone.going to take a mountain of work to get back.

Squat
    5x5 90
    felt okay, im weak but im still doing them well technically at least

Db Bench
    4x8 17.5

Cable Rows
    4x8

Wednesday

Snatch
    Up to 75x1 missed 80 twice
    Came to the gym an hour early to do snatch technique, tons of reps, recorded every attempt. Was not happy with a recording of a snatch on monday so wanted to fix it. They were moving much better this time.

Strict Press
    4x8 30

Clean+Push Press+Paused Jerk
    4x(1,4,2) 50

Front Squat
    3x5 80
    Stopped here as they were hurting my throat.

Lat Pulldowns
    4x8
    Situps
    4x20

MONDAY

Back Extension
    3x10

CLEAN AND JERK
    5x(2+1) 80

Clean Pull
    3x3 100

Back Squat
    3x5 100

Russian twist
    3x20 16kg

Lat Pulldowns
    4x10

Started the catalyst athletics free program to prepare for a real olympic lifting program.

Been going really well. Exhausted from the new job though and have no internet in my apartment so its been tough to get back into logging.

Snatch
    3x3 60

Snatch Pull
    5x3 90

Front Squat
    5x3 80

Lat Pulldown
    Chest Press
    Superset 4x8

Front squats felt very good. The positions felt strong.

Monday

Clean and Jerk
    5x1 90

Clean Pull
    3x3 100
    Forgot my straps so I had to hookgrip these. My poor thumbs.

Front Squat
    5x3 90

Cleans are feeling more solid, theres more legs underneath me now. Back Squats have been causing a lot of pain in my hip recently so I stuck to front squats which are currently feeling really good.

Back Extension
    3x10 15kg

CLEAN AND JERK
    5x(2,1) 90

Clean Pull
    3x3 110

Front Squat
    3x3 100

Seated Row
    4x8

Felt really strong overall. Good session

• Advertisement

Tuesday

SNATCH
    5x2 70

Snatch Pull
    3x3 100

Front Squat
    3x3 100

Good mornings
    4x8 40

Lat Pulldown
    4x8
    Seated cable row
    4x8

Snatches felt good. Everything is coming along

Wednesday

Power Snatch
    5x2 50

PCPJ
    5x2 70

Seated cable row
    4x8 60 highest ive done, felt really good

Back Extension 3x10

Missed last week due to exhaustion.

Monday
    Snatch up to 70

Clean and jerk up to 100

Front Squat up to 110

Wednesday
    Snatch up to 75

Clean and jerk up to 100

Front Squat up to 90

Cannot stick to a program at all right now, switching into adult life is really tough so just going with a Bulgarian style training approach for now until im better able to stick to a program

Trained Tuesday and had an okay session but ive had a pain growing down my arm for the last werk and as of today its gotten really painful, will have to book into a physio today so probably no training again. This log is starting to look so rough haha

Monday

Finally got myself motivated enough to actually go to the gym. Been sick a lot recently and when im not I havent been able to get motivated enough to go.

Apparently the aftereffects of glandular fever mean you really don't feel right for a long time afterwards.

Squat
    4x8 40

Back Extension
    3x10

Lat Pulldown

3x10

Concept 2 Rower
    6 Intervals: 30 seconds on/30 seconds Rest

Literally cant walk today 2 days later. And felt so sick for hours after that session from the exertion.:(

Friday 19/10/18

Didnt get to log until today.
    Squat
    4x8 40

Seated Row
    4x8

Spin Bike
    20 minutes at 80rpm, very gentle.

Hopefully continuing this type of training along with heavy mobility work will get me back into this.

Monday

Squat
    4x8 60

Rower
    1:00/1:00rest
    2:00/2:00rest
    3:00/3:00rest
    The pyramid workout on the machine wasnt even half way at that point but I needed to get off, thought I was going to puke.
    I dont understand pace on this thing but the first two intervals were at 2:08 per 500m and the last was about 2:16.
    Thats probably slow enough but I dont actually know.

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Monday

Squat
    4x8 60

Rower
    1:00/1:00rest
    2:00/2:00rest
    3:00/3:00rest
    The pyramid workout on the machine wasnt even half way at that point but I needed to get off, thought I was going to puke.
    I dont understand pace on this thing but the first two intervals were at 2:08 per 500m and the last was about 2:16.
    Thats probably slow enough but I dont actually know.

It's the same as running, if your intervals are longer, your pace will drop a little as it should.

Improving technique will make a difference on that time as well. And it just takes a bit of time to get used to and setting off at a pace that you can hold...much like in running but it's new so takes time.

It's the same as running, if your intervals are longer, your pace will drop a little as it should.

Improving technique will make a difference on that time as well. And it just takes a bit of time to get used to and setting off at a pace that you can hold...much like in running but it's new so takes time.

Definitely keeping at it. Just so sick of being out of breath walking up stairs. But yeah the technique is tough and I'm definitely not doing it perfectly.

Definitely keeping at it. Just so sick of being out of breath walking up stairs. But yeah the technique is tough and I'm definitely not doing it perfectly.

A cue I was given to remember the flow of the stroke was legs arms - arms, legs.

So drive with the legs, then pull with the arms on the pull...then release with the arms so the handle is past your knees and then your knees come up as you slide forward.

Always helped me get a good solid stroke cos it can be a bit like swimming, i.e. your arms might be working hard but you might be covering much distance if you're inefficient.

• Advertisement

That sounds like a really good tip. Will have to work on this.

Been training but not posting. I wish the android version of boards was actually usable.

Started a new program joining with the college club so just following that. Had a good session yesterday.

Hang Power Snatch
    5x3 40

Power Clean + CLean
    5x2 70

Clean Pull
    5x5 100

Trained monday aswell. And ran 3.5km last sunday. Happy with my short term progress in the last while.

Hang Power Clean + Power Clean
    5x2 70

Clean Pull
    5x5 100

YTWL
    3x5

Back Extensions
    3x12

Felt pretty good today. The clean pulls especially were a lot smoother.

Sunday

Had an a really good session Sunday morning. Like really good. Way exceeded my expectations for squats

BACK SQUAT

Had to go for 5 rep max at an estimated rpe 9. Which supposedly means you go to a weight where you'd get 6 reps.
    80x5
    90x5
    100x5
    110x5
    115x5

Did 5 at each increment as I didn't know when of reach the correct rpe. 115 was really easy and form seemed to be pretty solid. Decided that I'd stop there but I suspect I hadore than 1 rep left in me.

SNATCH PULL, SNATCH
    Not as successful here but that's just because it'll take a while to get consistent again
    5x2 70
    Missed a few snatches.

Box Jumps
    5x3 380mm

Good Mornings
    4x8 20kg

Had to go for 5 rep max at an estimated rpe 9. Which supposedly means you go to a weight where you'd get 6 reps.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RPE based training.

This may come in handy.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RPE based training.

This may come in handy.

We're just doing it for certain rep maxes and that. But since I've been out of training properly on olympic lifts for quite a while, I've been interpreting the percentages as rpes aswell since I cant match my old numbers at the moment

• Advertisement

Monday

Didnt lift as well as on Sunday but I felt a lot tighter and it was an evening session this time.

Back Squat
    5x3 115

Felt stiffer than sundays but I think I just had a good day that time. Still this is significantly more weight for these reps than I expected.

Snatch
    5x3 60

Took the weight back a little bit and started focusing on extending correctly. Felt quite good, and no misses which is very important at the moment.

Power Clean+Push Press+Jerk
    5x (1,3,1) 50

Snatch Deadlift
    5x5 80

We're just doing it for certain rep maxes and that. But since I've been out of training properly on olympic lifts for quite a while, I've been interpreting the percentages as rpes aswell since I cant match my old numbers at the moment

Takes a bit of getting used to but I find it useful insofar as it allows you to just work with how you feel.

Very occasionally, you just don't feel great and hitting a prescribed percentage might be a step too far or other days you feel really good and the prescribed percentage would be a little lighter than what you felt you could do that day.

Back after the Christmas break now. Did one session during the holidays in which I also managed to hurt myself, wondering when are the youthful invincibility started wearing off :')

FRONT SQUATS
    4x3 100

Snatch pull, snatch
    6x1 70

Clean and jerk
    4x1 90

So competition is in 4 weeks and I need to get fit fast so pulling out all the stops. Today's session sucked. But I think if the program insists on putting squats first then I'm going to have to coast them as I had nothing left in my legs by the time of the jerks so they ended up being a total write off.

Crippled today, my shoulders are bruised completely black from the squats I think.

Snatch Balance
    5x2 60

Muscle Snatch+Snatch
    5x2x(1,1) 50

Snatch Pull
    3x3 90

Back Extension
    4x12

Overall an okay session, but was crippled with muscle pains.

Some really good sessions last week. Program is the same this week but heavier. Technique is still really rusty.

22/01

Front Squat
    2x3 110
    1x3 120

120 was very hard but did it so really happy that my squat is coming back so fast

Snatch Pull, Snatch
    6x1 75

Missed one snatch overall which isnt too bad. Which my amount of prep training I cant really ask for consistency at the moment, just have to push the numbers so to only miss one is a good result

Jerks From Blocks
    6x2 100

Cant remember the last time I successfully jerked this much for a double. Missed two reps overall. But there was some really good ones scattered through the sets so thats a good sign.

• Advertisement

New program for this week. 2 weeks and a taper left until competition.

28/01
    Front Squat
    5x3 100

These felt fine, and pretty easy which is helpful.

The rest of the session was a writeoff.
    Snatch
    5x1 70

29/01

Much much better session today, need to get my nutrition and recovery back under control if im going to keep doing sessions like these.

Hang Snatch
    6x2 70
    Missed 2 reps.

Snatch Pulls
    5x3 80
    Kept the weight lighter to try to get that feeling of "ya, i could definitely snatch this".

Back Extensions 4x12
    Leg Extensions 4x12

Monday

Front Squat
    120x2

Snatch
    85x1
    90x

Power Clean+Jerk
    105x1

Competition is next week. So this is max week. Feeling pretty good about last nights numbers.

Had typed a long post but got lost when my connection dropped.

16/02/19 Inter Varsities

First competition back in ages. Went really well, pulled off way better lifts than was expected with the tiny amount of training done leading up to it.

Bodyweight: 72kf (cut from 75.5)

Snatch
    90x

Clean and Jerk

Won my category with that total of 197kg

Started a hypertrophy training cycle immediately afterwards which was going well until today so need to try to getting better at posting to track that.

Well done, young fleh

Had a rough two weeks of hypertrophy but am now feeling strong and ready.

The plan right now is to train for the National U23's this summer, in roughly 8 weeks i think.

Sots Press
    5x5 20

Snatch Pull, Hang Snatch, OHS
    5x2x(1,1,1)

Front Squat
    5x3 90

Plank,side Plank
    30 seconds each x3

Back Extensions
    3x12

Lateral Raises
    3x12 7.5