Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Has anyone ever gone there from Bristol? I assume traffic will be a total mare?

I've gotten the bus from bristol every year, usually in the morning. There's traffic but it's never been that bad (apart from 2016 but those were exceptional circumstances) usually takes about 2 hours. Maybe I've just been lucky with times, I've always arrived before midday. Im looking at flights now, more expensive this year :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Has anyone ever gone there from Bristol? I assume traffic will be a total mare?

Twice. Got the train both times. Bit crammed but feck all waiting once on board and busses from station to entrance of campsite then.

Nice city too to chill out in afterwards, though not as nice as Bath which a smart friend did for a few days to unwind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Weepsie wrote: »
    Twice. Got the train both times. Bit crammed but feck all waiting once on board and busses from station to entrance of campsite then.

Nice city too to chill out in afterwards, though not as nice as Bath which a smart friend did for a few days to unwind

Both cities are pretty cool. Bath is pretty amazing. And a great idea, may have to take a few days off after a future Glasto. If I ever get tickets again and Boris doesn't build a wall.

Calvin Harris is booked for Pangea.

I'd say Glastonbury will be called off due to this corona virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pfft... still 4 months away yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Alas, I think you're right but hope you're wrong. The UK health authorities are saying that Summer is when it hits hardest. Could be the death knell for a few festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

we were all thinking it.. but didn't mean you had to say it out loud. :-|

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Alas, I think you're right but hope you're wrong. The UK health authorities are saying that Summer is when it hits hardest. Could be the death knell for a few festivals.

It's pure speculation at this point. Spanish flu had the opposite effect to what you are suggesting. It didn't do well in the heat so had a resurgence when Autumn came around. So maybe we'll have an amazing summer full of festivals only to die come Winter. Fingers crossed.

It's pure speculation at this point. Spanish flu had the opposite effect to what you are suggesting. It didn't do well in the heat so had a resurgence when Autumn came around. So maybe we'll have an amazing summer full of festivals only to die come Winter. Fingers crossed.

Speculation maybe, but the UK authorities are trying to contain and delay the virus until the NHS can better cope with it, Summer being their aim.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/coronavirus-medical-chief-says-uk-hopes-to-delay-any-outbreak-until-summer

We must also be aware that the death rate is 2% (of those who are infected). to put it into perspective influenza results in 1% of deaths per year, both disproportionately affecting the elderly and those with underlying immunity problems. This is very significant but the death rate may be far less than a year (eg 2013) with bad influenza.

• Advertisement

The general consensus seems to be that this virus won't do well in the heat? I think thats why the outbreaks in the middle east have been small by comparison and up until today there were no cases in south america (one in brazil now) Didn't have much impact in the rest of the southern hemisphere where they are at the end of summer now. If there's an Italy style outbreak in the UK between now and glasto it's game over. If it's still only a few cases here and there we'll be fine. Fingers crossed!

Ill be gutted for you if glasto is cancelled the one year you manage to get tickets :pac:

MadYaker wrote: »
    The general consensus seems to be that this virus won't do well in the heat? I think thats why the outbreaks in the middle east have been small by comparison and up until today there were no cases in south america (one in brazil now) Didn't have much impact in the rest of the southern hemisphere where they are at the end of summer now. If there's an Italy style outbreak in the UK between now and glasto it's game over. If it's still only a few cases here and there we'll be fine. Fingers crossed!

Well, if heat is the solution MadYaker, then you and I are contentedly safe in County Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

Speculation maybe, but the UK authorities are trying to contain and delay the virus until the NHS can better cope with it, Summer being their aim.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/coronavirus-medical-chief-says-uk-hopes-to-delay-any-outbreak-until-summer

We must also be aware that the death rate is 2% (of those who are infected). to put it into perspective influenza results in 1% of deaths per year, both disproportionately affecting the elderly and those with underlying immunity problems. This is very significant but the death rate may be far less than a year (eg 2013) with bad influenza.
    But isn't the death rate for those infected with flu more like 0.1-0.2%? If so and this was to infect similar numbers (not yet clear that it will) it would be much more significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

3qnrty.jpg

Well, if heat is the solution MadYaker, then you and I are contentedly safe in County Galway.

My family have a gaf way out west in the bog if it gets really bad and we have to evacuate the city I’ll give you the coordinates :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

MadYaker wrote: »
    My family have a gaf way out west in the bog if it gets really bad and we have to evacuate the city I’ll give you the coordinates :pac:

I have Galway blood in my so I’ll need them as well.

Manics have self confirmed for Glasto.

And Joe Rooney

I heard off a taxi driver that Mumford and Sons will be playing Glastonbury. I trust this guy as he seemed to know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Joe Rooney confirmation is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wooderson wrote: »
    Joe Rooney confirmation is huge.

Pyramid between Aerosmith and Macca?

Or they might give him his own stage? The Spirit of Joe Rooney Stage.

The Nal wrote: »
    Pyramid between Aerosmith and Macca?

Or they might give him his own stage? The Spirit of Joe Rooney Stage.

I think he’s going to curate the Other stage for the weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Poorside wrote: »
    I think he’s going to curate the Other stage for the weekend.

Which does he prefer, Oasis or Blur?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Joe Rooney trending on the Glastonbury forum. The FOMO is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Joe Fomo-ony.

Which does he prefer, Oasis or Blur?

Oasis

No
    Blur.

I know I posted a joke above about Coronavirus and personally I believe the hype about it is crazy (Another discussion). But I'm beginning to get a bit worried that they might cancel it.....

I mean I hope to jesus, no. But it's starting to look dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I know I posted a joke above about Coronavirus and personally I believe the hype about it is crazy (Another discussion). But I'm beginning to get a bit worried that they might cancel it.....

I mean I hope to jesus, no. But it's starting to look dodge.
    https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/glastonbury-2020-coronavirus-festival-nhs-3910761
    Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s Head of Event Operations, said: “Glastonbury Festival thoroughly plans each year's event, and puts in place all necessary measures to protect the public and maximise safety.

We work closely with all of the relevant agencies, including Public Health England and the NHS, and always review our plans as any circumstances change.

With this in mind and with our 2020 Festival still 16 weeks away, we continue to plan and prepare for the event, whilst at the same time closely monitoring developments with the coronavirus situation.

I think we just need to prepare for the worst to be honest.

I'd say what's as likely is a lot of bands will pull out of European tours.. for example:

https://twitter.com/WolfParade/status/1234526776447008768

.. and force organisers to cancel.

Yeah, my thought initially was that many acts simply may not tour and will not be "in the area" even if they do decide to go ahead with Glasto. I.... I don't know.... I think I'd rather they postpone it for a year than half-ass it.

Just guarantee that those with tickets this year have the option of guaranteed tickets next year.

But Jesus, fingers, legs, everything crossed it doesn't come to that.

• Advertisement

I haven’t booked flights or buses yet I’m holding off for another few weeks. By balance payment week we should have a better idea of what’s likely but I personally think this won’t impact the festival at all.

Advertisement