Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pixel 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 username3

Starting to think I have an issue with my pixel 5, 10% down today, and although I've listened to some music for about 15 minutes over Bluetooth, I'm at 90% already. 9 minutes screen time :(
    The phone needed to be charged at 9pm after a fairly easy-going day yesterday also.

username3 wrote: »
    Starting to think I have an issue with my pixel 5, 10% down today, and although I've listened to some music for about 15 minutes over Bluetooth, I'm at 90% already. 9 minutes screen time :(
    The phone needed to be charged at 9pm after a fairly easy-going day yesterday also.

It's almost always software issues, I'd look at what apps are draining.

My stats have finally started updating, but this is my first day of full usage. Almost 2 hours of screen on time, and at 90%. That can't be right, but I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

An app is keeping your phone awake, remember the covid tracing app kept Play services constantly active a while back making phones warm and draining the battery. Check your battery usage it should give an idea what is and force stop, see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

danicm wrote: »
    I was going to ask actually, what kind of gimbal or tripod to use for this sort of thing as I wouldn't be one for carrying big clunky tripods with me. Or could you just lie it on the floor with the camera facing up?

It needs to detect absolutely no motion whatever before it'll go into astrophotography mode. I have a tiny little portable tripod thingy like this.

https://joby.com/global/gorillapod-phone-tripods/

It's a bit small to put on the ground and still be able to use it pointing to the sky, unless it's dry enough to lie on the ground, but if you have a wall or something else to rest it on it's fine.

For just night mode, hand held works pretty well too.

Here's a couple of examples.

skodacb wrote: »
    An app is keeping your phone awake, remember the covid tracing app kept Play services constantly active a while back making phones warm and draining the battery. Check your battery usage it should give an idea what is and force stop, see if it makes any difference.

Yeah, I uninstalled about 15 apps last night including covid and it wasn't those. My last suspicion is tunein radio which the battery says was used today even thought it wasnt... so uninstalled that and fingers crossed that'll be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Yeah, I uninstalled about 15 apps last night including covid and it wasn't those. My last suspicion is tunein radio which the battery says was used today even thought it wasnt... so uninstalled that and fingers crossed that'll be it

Yeah I think TuneIn is your culprit. About 2 weeks ago I had serious battery drain and warming on my Pixel 3 and TuneIn was the cause. Seen it reported on Reddit also so I uninstalled it and it resolved my issues immediately. I have had TuneIn a long time and it seemed to start occurring following a Play Services update a few weeks back so I guess there is some incompatibility there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

danicm wrote: »
    I was going to ask actually, what kind of gimbal or tripod to use for this sort of thing as I wouldn't be one for carrying big clunky tripods with me. Or could you just lie it on the floor with the camera facing up?

I'm going to pick up a cheap tripod with phone holder on Amazon for under €20.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibeston-Aluminum-Lightweight-Bluetooth-Smartphones/dp/B07K6GNGLD/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=tripod+for+phones&qid=1603362508&sr=8-9

I have owned much better tripods before but lost mounts and really didn't use them much. This will do for now. If you have a good tripod just get a phone holder mount.

With cheap tripods and a light phone it's generally worth hanging a weight from under the head to keep it all steady.

henke wrote: »
    Yeah I think TuneIn is your culprit. About 2 weeks ago I had serious battery drain and warming on my Pixel 3 and TuneIn was the cause. Seen it reported on Reddit also so I uninstalled it and it resolved my issues immediately. I have had TuneIn a long time and it seemed to start occurring following a Play Services update a few weeks back so I guess there is some incompatibility there.

This was it.. such a relief!!!
    Had to clear cache on play services also uninstalling wasn't enough
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

On track for 15 hours screen on time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Basil3 wrote: »
    On track for 15 hours screen on time :pac:

:eek: WOW!

Post an update when you get down to < 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Had anyone received their headphones yet?

Claim was validated on the 14th, no word since. I see some people on Reddit and xda have started receiving theirs

Echoes675 wrote: »

There's no way I'd get anywhere near 15 hours, but I'm just below 50% with almost 6 hours screen time. No battery saving measures, bluetooth on with watch connected, only dark mode at sunset etc.

Looking promising that I could use this really heavily for a day and still make it through without issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Received this case today. It's nice and grippy, wireless charging works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08D67D5WB/

Echoes675 wrote: »

Ended up getting easily over 10 hours screen on time. Very impressed, considering I didn't use any kind of battery saving measures, apart from the standard power save when under 10%.

Not typical usage at the moment, as I'm now in the house on WiFi all day, still impressed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Purchased my Pixel 5 before October 18th and am looking to claim the Bose headphones.

It states to wait 14 days from the order date before starting the claim. Anyone else do this? Could just be a UK issue as I am over there.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Purchased my Pixel 5 before October 18th and am looking to claim the Bose headphones.

It states to wait 14 days from the order date before starting the claim. Anyone else do this? Could just be a UK issue as I am over there.

Yeah, you have to wait 14 days, but that's from the date you placed your order. A lot of people here ordered on September 30th, so could claim the headphones straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I'm getting around 8 SOT with about 15% battery remaining so could imagine another hour or so with the battery saver enabled.

Coming from the OP3 that bave me 3-3.5 hrs max this is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Right lads. Not getting on with my Pixel. Phone is the nicest Android I've used, but I just prefer iOS and the features I changed for aren't doing it for me anymore.

Does anyone know what the returns process is for Google? Can I return it even though I've used it? The phone is spotless.
    I already claimed the Bose headphones, not sure if that'll affect anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭914

Right lads. Not getting on with my Pixel. Phone is the nicest Android I've used, but I just prefer iOS and the features I changed for aren't doing it for me anymore.

Does anyone know what the returns process is for Google? Can I return it even though I've used it? The phone is spotless.
    I already claimed the Bose headphones, not sure if that'll affect anything?

If there is nothing wrong the phone is it possible to return it??? I'm not sure

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    If there is nothing wrong the phone is it possible to return it??? I'm not sure

I wouldn't have thought so but got here from the order page.

https://i.imgur.com/z6HzjcB.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭914

I wouldn't have thought so but got here from the order page.

https://i.imgur.com/z6HzjcB.png

Happy days. If it fails I'll buy it off you for €200. Its a win win :-D

If something is bought online can’t you return it regardless? No fault necessary.

Obviously you can’t get the headphones but you’ll get your money back.

If something is bought online can’t you return it regardless?

Honestly I'm never sure of the rules around it if something is open. I've returned plenty of things but never anything open/used
    914 wrote: »
    Happy days. If it fails I'll buy it off you for €200. Its a win win :-D

Sure why bother even returning it! :pac:

Honestly I'm never sure of the rules around it if something is open. I've returned plenty of things but never anything open/used

I had my pixel 4 last year for the best end of a week and returned it once I seen how bad the battery was. Used it every day from opening it until packing it back up.

I had my pixel 4 last year for the best end of a week and returned it once I seen how bad the battery was. Used it every day from opening it until packing it back up.

Ah good to know. Thanks man. Any hassle returning it? Do they send out a return label or what?

Ah good to know. Thanks man. Any hassle returning it? Do they send out a return label or what?

You’ll get a label to print once you do the return on the Google store. No questions at all.

It will be interesting what they do regarding the headphones. The terms of the promotion were supposed to mean that you have the pixel in your possession for 2 weeks before claiming, undoubtedly to avoid this situation. They allowed people to claim based on preorder date, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

MKBHD review finally up - very balanced & fair.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It will be interesting what they do regarding the headphones. The terms of the promotion were supposed to mean that you have the pixel in your possession for 2 weeks before claiming, undoubtedly to avoid this situation. They allowed people to claim based on preorder date, though.

Yeah I dunno what to expect. If I have to send them back or they just never send them it's fine by me.

• Advertisement

Maybe I missed it somewhere but how to I get a € symbol in the keyboard when using the 'English - UK' keyboard, there's no 'English - Ireland' option available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Just long press the £ pound symbol... €

WezzyB wrote: »
    Just long press the £ pound symbol... €
    I just wish there was a way of getting the € symbol to be the default, i.e. an English (Ireland) keyboard layout.

I have lung press for symbols turned on which won't give your the€ symbol without switching to symbols list. I know it's quite insignificant and not really important but just something I noticed earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

jozi wrote: »
    I have lung press for symbols turned on which won't give your the€ symbol without switching to symbols list. I know it's quite insignificant and not really important but just something I noticed earlier

Strange I can do it with a long press of the pound sign or in the symbols menu it's there with no long press. Here it is with long press of pound sign.

I was wrong about stock becoming available after the headphone offer was over. They’re just huge amateurs at selling hardware.

henke wrote: »
    Strange I can do it with a long press of the pound sign or in the symbols menu it's there with no long press. Here it is with long press of pound sign.

That also works for me if I change to the character map, it's on the keyboard itself where that should be an option (or have a € symbol) see screenshot
    530465.png

If I set default language to Irish, then I can get it on long press d

Edit: actually, when long pressing on the space bar, i stíll have English UK as default, but the euro symbol is accessible from the main keyboard. That's been bugging me for a while.

Ok that does work but it also tries to write in Irish unless it's dry to multi language.

On a different note, while digging through menus I found a setting which turns on do not disturb when the phone is left face down.

• Advertisement

jozi wrote: »
    On a different note, while digging through menus I found a setting which turns on do not disturb when the phone is left face down.
    That's been around for a while. Not sure if it's just a Pixel thing or not, but I had it on my Pixel 3. Very handy in meetings.

It's my first pixel (had a nexus 4 years ago), maybe pixel exclusive? Not noticed it before with previous phones, even those running pixel experience.

Seems useful! I do miss some features from pixel experience that the various developers added. None of which I could make right now :rolleyes: mostly minor little things.

It’s part of the digital wellbeing thing, think it goes back to the Pixel 2.

Anyone with eir mobile?

What's the 5G like? I'm with 48 now on the €7.99 a month but find data is very slow. Half tempted to jump to eir with the current €20 a month 5G SIMO offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

SachaJ wrote: »
    Anyone with eir mobile?

What's the 5G like? I'm with 48 now on the €7.99 a month but find data is very slow. Half tempted to jump to eir with the current €20 a month 5G SIMO offering.

They do not offer 5G on Sim Only, AFAIK, Vodafone do on their higher tier SIMO plan and Three do though it seems like you have to pay extra for 5G on it.

Edit: Actually they do, thats a very recent change as they didn't have that last week

Meesared wrote: »
    They do not offer 5G on Sim Only, AFAIK, Vodafone do on their higher tier SIMO plan and Three do though it seems like you have to pay extra for 5G on it.

Edit: Actually they do, thats a very recent change as they didn't have that last week

And its the cheapest 5G offering currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Depending on how much Threes add on is, yeah seems like it!

Sage Pixel 5 available to order right now on Google store. Triggered my page monitor, although I have a black one now.

Edit: Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Meesared wrote: »
    Depending on how much Threes add on is, yeah seems like it!

€5 extra I believe. Not going to bother jumping up to 5G just yet. On a rolling contract, and on WiFi 80% of the time anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Sage Pixel 5 available to order right now on Google store. Triggered my page monitor, although I have a black one now.

Edit: Aaaaaaand it's gone.

I'd be interested to see if anyone here got one of these, what their estimated delivery date is.

I ordered one on the 4th and it's still estimated for Nov 10-11th. Very interested to see if they have more in stock, or just more stock allocated for a future shipment.

My monitor for the Google store is jumping on and off. Either stock being drip fed or people not completing purchases. Worth checking if anyone is waiting to order from there.

Glad I went with Vodafone, next day dispatch. Unlocked, using my GoMo SIM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement