Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games? (Part II)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Anyone have any suggestions for a Trusted Contacts replacement? Just found it handy for getting my teenagers to check in with me.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anyone have any suggestions for a Trusted Contacts replacement? Just found it handy for getting my teenagers to check in with me.

What did it do exactly? If they are teenagers they will outsmart any app you put in their phone to be honest.

DopeTech wrote: »
    What did it do exactly? If they are teenagers they will outsmart any app you put in their phone to be honest.

They can send you location or you can request location. Not looking to spy, they could just turn off allow location settings if they didn't want to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

They can send you location or you can request location. Not looking to spy, they could just turn off allow location settings if they didn't want to respond.

Have you tried Google family link?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.kids.familylinkhelper

Can't you do ask them to send their location through Whatsapp? Or do they not have Whatsapp?

• Advertisement

Can't you do ask them to send their location through Whatsapp? Or do they not have Whatsapp?

This would definitely be the least intrusive way. Teenagers wont like a tracking app on their phone.

Thanks for the suggestion but not what I need.

This would definitely be the least intrusive way. Teenagers wont like a tracking app on their phone.

My daughter showed me the app so she was happy to have it on her phone, I'd never heard of it prior to then. I don't have WhatsApp but if that has a button you can press if you're feeling unsafe and want to alert someone to your location I'll have to get it.

My daughter showed me the app so she was happy to have it on her phone, I'd never heard of it prior to then. I don't have WhatsApp but if that has a button you can press if you're feeling unsafe and want to alert someone to your location I'll have to get it.

Whatsapp messenger has 6+ Billion downloads from the google play store!

I used Glympse years ago for something like that but I don’t know if it costs now or anything, might be worth a search.

Whatsapp can share location but doesn’t have a quick button to do it to a certain contact.

• Advertisement

Whatsapp messenger has 6+ Billion downloads from the google play store!

I think they were referring to not knowing what Trusted Contacts was prior to being shown.

I think they were referring to not knowing what Trusted Contacts was prior to being shown.

That makes more sense!

I was indeed, thanks for being clearer than I was!

Something like this any good?

https://www.redpanicbutton.com/

I used Glympse years ago for something like that but I don’t know if it costs now or anything, might be worth a search.

Whatsapp can share location but doesn’t have a quick button to do it to a certain contact.

Yeah thanks, might have a look at that see what she thinks, but she might be happy enough with WhatsApp if that's quick/easy enough to just send location. I have had WhatsApp before but didn't know it was more than just an annoying messaging app!

Yeah thanks, might have a look at that see what she thinks, but she might be happy enough with WhatsApp if that's quick/easy enough to just send location. I have had WhatsApp before but didn't know it was more than just an annoying messaging app!

It would just be a matter opening the right message thread, attach location, and send.

Could even shortcut the message thread (the one to yourself presumably) on the home screen for quick access.

It would just be a matter opening the right message thread, attach location, and send.

Could even shortcut the message thread (the one to yourself presumably) on the home screen for quick access.

Sounds easy enough. It's only really for when she's walking home from friends or whatever, she had an uncomfortable incident last year, nothing major, just some smack head hassling her for a couple of minutes, and wanted a way to instantly say where she was.

The panic button thing looks good, although recent reviews suggest it's a bit flakey, I'd imagine the WhatsApp route would be more reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Set a widget on the home screen to share location with a contract from Google maps? Stats active for an hour normally

gar wrote: »
    Set a widget on the home screen to share location with a contract from Google maps? Stats active for an hour normally

Looks ideal. Thanks, we're going to test it out.

Didn’t know that could be done. Definitely sounds the best way.

• Advertisement

Didn’t know that could be done. Definitely sounds the best way.

Yeah I had no idea either, it's actually pretty much what trusted contacts used to do I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sounds easy enough. It's only really for when she's walking home from friends or whatever, she had an uncomfortable incident last year, nothing major, just some smack head hassling her for a couple of minutes, and wanted a way to instantly say where she was.

The panic button thing looks good, although recent reviews suggest it's a bit flakey, I'd imagine the WhatsApp route would be more reliable?

Messenger allows you to share location. You can track someone's progress to meet you in real time. Handy when you're meeting someone in an unfamiliar city but could just as easily be used for what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody recommend a wireless mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seligehgit wrote: »

I bought a super cheap Logitech from Currys. It's worked perfectly for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Last one I bought was this in Oct 2016 and it's still going strong :)

It was only €19 when I bought it back then though, seems to have gone up since :(

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8667737.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Discodog wrote: »
    I bought a super cheap Logitech from Currys. It's worked perfectly for years.
    Thanks very much.

I've found same very unreliable.

Sorry I phrased my original post incorrectly.

Seeking a wifi mouse app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks very much.

I've found same very unreliable.

Sorry I phrased my original post incorrectly.

Seeking a wifi mouse app.

Remote mouse is the only one I have really seen mentioned for windows.
    There are others, and for linux and android boxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Zynga have a Harry Potter match 3 game out at the moment and it's very slick. I've been playing for about 3 or 4 weeks now and I'm up around level 415.
    It's officially licensed and has audio clips and music from the movies.

They do a good job of introducing new mechanics regularly (every 40 levels or so) and there are great extras like multiplayer leagues, daily challenges, card deck building and more.

Very well made game. It has IAP obviously, but it's fair and all levels are beatable without spending a cent.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zynga.pottermatch

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is €0.50

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.konami.epjCastlevania2

Best played with a controller on a tablet I'd say, but bloody great game.

• Advertisement

The Sequence 2 is free at the moment. Clever puzzle game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onemanband.thesequence2

Advertisement