Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games? (Part II)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

12 new and notable (and 1 WTF) Android apps from the last three weeks including HMD Connect, Energy Ring, and Dolby On (3/14/20 - 4/4/20)

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/04/12-new-and-notable-and-1-wtf-android-apps-from-the-last-three-weeks-including-hmd-connect-energy-ring-and-dolby-on-3-14-20-4-4-20/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sherlock Holmes and All Books currently free (normally €4.09)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sanaldershane.arthurtum
    In app there are 54 Arthur Conan Doyle books along with Sherlock Holmes books. You can read it anytime, anywhere. No internet required.
    You will be able to read all Arthur Conan Doyle books in one app. The application is designed to meet all the needs of the reader. The application automatically saves everything. Each book is saved separately. The application automatically saves the last read page, all style changes, background color selections, line spacing selections, and other changes.
    In App;
    - 16 different fonts,
    - 8 different background colors,
    - Adjust the page to the left, right, center, or justify,
    - Adjust font size and line spacing,
    - Reading time,
    - Keep notes,
    - Select and copy between reading page and note,
    - Detailed contents page,
    - Separate book page,
    - Resume books from "Book Page" where you left off,
    - Go to the relevant section from the contents page,
    - Automatic save everything,
    - Save books separately,
    Features are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Hi all, I am looking for help with a pedometer/distance app. My son is in a wheelchair and am trying to get him to do some exercise during the lockdown. Any of the health apps I tried don't recognise his movement, or else it is very hit and miss. Is there an app that would record his movement instead of steps? Just tried the Samsung app and we done just under 2 kilometres and it registered 500 steps.
    Thanks for any help with this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Something like Map My Ride, or other cycle route apps maybe?

wilser wrote: »
    Hi all, I am looking for help with a pedometer/distance app. My son is in a wheelchair and am trying to get him to do some exercise during the lockdown. Any of the health apps I tried don't recognise his movement, or else it is very hit and miss. Is there an app that would record his movement instead of steps? Just tried the Samsung app and we done just under 2 kilometres and it registered 500 steps.
    You could try PushTracker or GPS Sports Tracker

Some of these may be worth looking at

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wheelchair%20fitness&c=apps&hl=en

There is an app called freewheel which showed promise, but I don't think anything came of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

wilser wrote: »
    Strava is the standard for running and cycling tracking on Mobile phones, and also has a wheelchair and hand-cycle profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This is a repository of all of the stock wallpapers to be found on all smartphones computers etc.

You can download the whole lot in one zip file, about 3 gigs though, but some really nice abstract images in high resolution.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftGLCL
    Gameloft celebrates its 20th anniversary by including a gift pack with 30 of its legendary games.

Available in the Play Store

Totally free, even games that have never been available for mobile phones.

Games like Nova, Modern Combat 2 among others, below the complete list.

Gameloft celebrates its 20th anniversary with a gift for gamers! Enjoy retro fun and nostalgia for 30 iconic Gameloft games that have never been available on a smartphone before!

Play puzzles to combine with tropical atmosphere in Bubble Bash 2. Prepare to exterminate zombies in Zombie Invasion. Or maybe you prefer to look for your better half in Cita or Plantón 2.

No matter what type of player you are, you will find an unforgettable retro game for you in this incredible free application!

FEATURES
    • TOTALLY FREE! This is our way of thanking you for being with us for the past 20 years.
    • 30 AMAZING GAMES, including many of Gameloft's greatest successes that defined mobile video games.
    • RETRO GRAPHICS for those nostalgic for old video games, but perfectly adapted to modern mobile devices.
    • TOUCH CONTROLS that simplify the way of playing.
    • VARIOUS GENRES, including arcade, action, sports, puzzles, card games, and simulation.

** COMPLETE

GAME LIST ** PUZZLES
    · Bubble Bash 2
    · Mind Challenge 3: Rethink
    · Diamond Rush
    · Detective Ridley and the Mystery Riddle
    · Abracadaball

RUN AND SHOOT
    · Gangstar 2: Kings of LA
    · Zombie Invasion
    · Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus
    · NOVA Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
    · Wild West Guns
    · Zombiewood
    · Alien Quarantine

LIFE AND LOVE
    · My life in New York
    · Vampires at Insti
    · Miami Nights 2: The city is yours!
    · Fashion Icon
    · Date or Seed 2
    · Trouble in the instinct

ARCADE ACTION
    · Soul of Darkness
    · Hero of Sparta
    · Cannon Rats
    · Block Breaker Deluxe 2
    · Block Breaker 3 Unlimited

SPORTS AND CARDS
    · Motocross: Trial Extreme
    · Platinum Solitaire 3
    · Texas Hold'em Poker
    · Midnight Bowling 3
    · Midnight Pool
    · Avalanche Snowboarding
    · KO Fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

€6.99 worth of HitMan Go is free at the moment.

Seems to get good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mixplorer.silver&gl=IE

Mixploer is by far and away the best file explorer I have ever used and I've prolly tried all of them.

It is free on XDA and the plugins you can download from the play store for free. You can also download the main app from third party sites obvs for free as well, but I'd recommend the xda site.

The SMB plugin enables you to transfer files from your home pc on the same network seamlessly each direction which is one of the reasons I love it. It auto detects your shared network drive and all you have to do is enter your username and password, no messing with complex network settings. A+ app.

edit, install all the plugins, codecs, etc for best experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Google have given me a fiver, what should I spend it on?
    Not much of a gamer on my phone anymore, so leaning towards a productivity app or similar?
    Something useful for a student.

Currently using Moon Reader Pro and Calender, have the MS Office beta app and my life is very reliant on Google Calender as I'm a forgetful muppet ;)

What worth throwing my free money at?

banie01 wrote: »
    Google have given me a fiver, what should I spend it on?
    Not much of a gamer on my phone anymore, so leaning towards a productivity app or similar?
    Something useful for a student.

Currently using Moon Reader Pro and Calender, have the MS Office beta app and my life is very reliant on Google Calender as I'm a forgetful muppet ;)

What worth throwing my free money at?

Does it have to be used to purchase an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Suckit wrote: »
    Does it have to be used to purchase an app?

Nope, I can use it on movies or books too but an app is more to my liking as I tend not to use Google's ecosystem for any other purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

Fans of Limbo and Badland will like this..... The Zamazingo which is free at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm playing through Tiny Room Stories with my girlfriend (you can have a call open while playing the game and you talk through the puzzles and brainstorm together).

If you've ever done an escape room, this is a similar format.
    We played two 'chapters' last night - took about 40 minutes.
    There are 13 chapters in total with 2 new chapters on the way in the next few months.

Currently a season pass (all chapters + no ads) is about €2.50 (currently half price) so it's excellent value.
    Can't go wrong for that price. You can try it for free too (with ads).

We've done 5 real escape rooms together, so this really scratches that puzzle-solving itch (same feeling of satisfaction when you solve something).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiarygames.tinyroom&hl=en_US

One little bug/issue though - I installed it and paid for it on my phone, but when I installed it on my tablet, there was no option to restore purchases.
    Install it on the device you are going to play it on.

How do you purchase it at all? On this page nothing is responsive to touch except the Back button.

4T9w5gh.jpg

I think you already have it. Maybe you bought it (or downloaded it when it wasn't freemium?)

On my season pass screen (on my tablet), those 3 boxes have a white box around them with "Early Bird Offer" at the top and a big orange "Buy" bottom at the bottom.

On my phone (where I paid for it), the screen looks like yours.

Edit: How to check - finish the tutorial. If an ad plays between that and chapter 1, then you have the free version. No ad = paid version.

Mr E wrote: »
    I think you already have it. Maybe you bought it (or downloaded it when it wasn't freemium?)

On my season pass screen (on my tablet), those 3 boxes have a white box around them with "Early Bird Offer" at the top and a big orange "Buy" bottom at the bottom.

On my phone (where I paid for it), the screen looks like yours.

Ah, was the first chapter of this one where you were on some government site and ended up in caves? I think I did buy it and ended up uninstalling once chapter 2 never arrived.

Not sure.... The tutorial is in a sentry house, chapter 1 is a residential house, chapter 2 is an office building and chapter 3 is a church....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I just bought it now based on the review here and before hand the above scree had a big orange button saying BUY and now it looks like the above so I agree that it looks like its already been purchased before.

Yeah I remember it now (not the one I thought before). Was going through chapter one again and there’s a bug in the third chapter where you can’t go any further. That’s why I originally stopped playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Over at Appsumo you can currently get readitfor.me free for 12 months. The service normally costs $110 (€101) a year.
    Create an account and secure yourself 12 months free of charge, after you have made the purchase you will receive the voucher link. The code must be redeemed within 60 days, otherwise it will expire.
    Readitfor.me summarises the eBooks, videos, audio books in 12 minutes so that you no longer have to read books for hours or listen to audio books so that you have more time for other things.
    No payment details required, just an email address.
    https://appsumo.com/readitforme/
    The Readitfor.me app brings you instant, on-the-go access to your full Readitfor.me library of the world’s best business book summaries. Readitfor.me is designed to empower individuals, entrepreneurs, small teams and large organizations to discover and apply powerful ideas, strategies and best practices. We create animated videos, audio files and text summaries of the best selling books on leadership, marketing, sales, personal development and more.

Full access to your Readitfor.me library
    Listen to audio book summaries anywhere
    Read our succinct text summaries
    Download audio to your device for offline listening
    Update your account information
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZi5rDAERc
    It may come in handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

To complete the SquareEnix GO trilogy, Deus Ex GO is free now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squareenixmontreal.deusexgo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

This thread helped me get over the decommissioning of Google Inbox by pointing me in the direction of TickTick which has definitely filled the void. I'm now having a minor issue with syncing and thought here would be as good a place as any to see if anyone is seeing them same issue.

My android version is no longer syncing with the web client automatically and requires a manual refresh. May seem trivial for some apps but this if frsutrating me now end when happening with a ToDo app that I create/snooze/mark tasks complete on multiple clients.

It's possible that a recent Android update has restricted what it's doing in the background but I've no idea how to resolve this. It's Battery Optimisation setting is set to Not Optimised so I'm stumped.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I'm so so confused. When I open this Thread it keeps opening another Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'm so so confused. When I open this Thread it keeps opening another Thread.

It's happening me with lots of threads! Took about 5 goes to open this one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

jgbyr wrote: »
    It's happening me with lots of threads! Took about 5 goes to open this one

Worth it?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Where did your man go used to post the app offers?

Advertisement