Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games? (Part II)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Where did your man go used to post the app offers?

✌️You✌️ ✌️indirectly✌️ ✌️referred✌️ ✌️to✌️ ✌️me?✌️

The offers ended up been allot of repeats or crap stuff, so stop doing them.
    Must people know the site, I was posting the links from so could look themselves.

Example: - [Deal Alert] 24 temporarily free and 26 on-sale apps and games for Friday

+ Wednesday Offers.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

corkie wrote: »
    ✌️You✌️ ✌️indirectly✌️ ✌️referred✌️ ✌️to✌️ ✌️me?✌️

The offers ended up been allot of repeats or crap stuff, so stop doing them.
    Must people know the site, I was posting the links from so could look themselves.

Example: - [Deal Alert] 24 temporarily free and 26 on-sale apps and games for Friday

+ Wednesday Offers.

I used to come here regularly to check your post. I go straight to Android Police now and like you say there isn't much of note most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For on your mandated exercise outside, a few apps that might be of use. If you're an ambler like me, rather than a power walker.

Birdnet for identifying the birds you hear.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tu_chemnitz.mi.kahst.birdnet

There's also one called Birdnerd you can try if you're signed up for early access.

PlantNet for identifying the plants and flowers you see.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.plantnet

There's also FloraIncognita which I haven't tried but looks good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.floraincognita.app.floraincognita

For Fungi identification there's Shroomify (though obviously I'd strongly advise against eating any, or taking them any other way ;) unless an expert has shown you what is, or isn't safe)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mushroom.shroomify

And finally an insect identifier (which I've had mixed luck with), Picture Insect.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glority.pictureinsect

And again, if you have early access you could search for Insect Identifier by SteinSoft Studios

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If you have Mini Humans then KHAN ACADEMY KIDS is a must, available free on Play Store.

My little one is 4 in July and i let her on it for 15mins a day, she loves it, no ads/payment to progress and just pure fun education, have to complete 2 different fun activities every day for a surprise bonus, activities include abc/123/animals/shapes etc.

Loads of story books (read by someone), videos and other cool stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

For on your mandated exercise outside, a few apps that might be of use. If you're an ambler like me, rather than a power walker.
    Had them out yesterday with a couple of my sisters kids and we were digging up worms, rocks, photographing weeds, flowers (forget-me-nots we didn't know we had :) ) and recording birds for most of the day.
    I am getting nagged to do it today again for the past hour and a half, finishing up soon so I will be out again.. :)
    Insect one, as mentioned doesn't seem to be as good, but they (and I) still love doing it. The birds is great too, walking 5 feet and the phone goes up, different bird, although we caught a few homo-sapiens on it too.
    Great apps, thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If anyone is into journaling, Luci is a great app for recording dreams.
    Currently free. I've logged some crazy crap in the last few months. It's entertaining to read back through them. :o

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samruston.luci

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody recommend a quiz app?

Basic general knowledge one.MCQs or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I used use quizup but haven't in ages, going to reinstall it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Any former Swype users here? What keyboard app are you now using? I'm using gboard, but would prefer not to have Google sniffing all my keystrokes.

I've tried SwiftKey but it lacks the abilities I need to easily edit the errors after swiping a full sentence (change wrong predictions and capitalise) which makes swiping pointless if I have to edit as I go.

I used swift key after using Swype for years and was surprised to see a recent update from Microsoft Swift Key on my phone last night. Hadn't real that they were acquired.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I used swift key after using Swype for years and was surprised to see a recent update from Microsoft Swift Key on my phone last night. Hadn't real that they were acquired.

I hadn't heard that either, they acquired them in 2016.

Do you swipe using SwiftKey? If so do you have any tips? I just found swiping on SwiftKey very awkward

I hadn't heard that either, they acquired them in 2016.

Do you swipe using SwiftKey? If so do you have any tips? I just found swiping on SwiftKey very awkward
    I probably don't as much as I used to.
    Possibly because I found it too awkward myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Gboard's where it at lads, you give google every other piece of information you own, what's one more? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

I used to love SwiftKey in the past but it's become a very frustrating experience for me over time. It's swipe typing is weird like it deliberately picks an obscure word just because it's close to what you swiped instead of the obvious word. gboard is better in that way and overall more accurate for me.

mossie wrote: »
    I used to love SwiftKey in the past but it's become a very frustrating experience for me over time. It's swipe typing is weird like it deliberately picks an obscure word just because it's close to what you swiped instead of the obvious word. gboard is better in that way and overall more accurate for me.

Yeah I've not found one as good as gboard but it's nowhere near as good as Swype was. I also miss the ctrl + c and ctrl + v shortcuts Swype had. It's a pity they didn't open source it

Not sure where else this might be newsworthy or if it needs a separate thread, but I noticed in the play store that Google Play Pass is now available in Ireland!

€4.99 for the month or €29.99 for the year!

https://play.google.com/about/play-pass/

In the play store app, hit the hamburger menu, then it's the 3rd option down (for me, at least).

Also, looks like carrier billing is supported too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Not sure where else this might be newsworthy or if it needs a separate thread, but I noticed in the play store that Google Play Pass is now available in Ireland!

€4.99 for the month or €29.99 for the year!

https://play.google.com/about/play-pass/

In the play store app, hit the hamburger menu, then it's the 3rd option down (for me, at least).

Also, looks like carrier billing is supported too :)

I had to delete data on my Play Store app to get the option to appear.
    Couldn't use carrier billing for the monthly sub, but could for the annual one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've signed up for the trial, and set a reminder on my phone to maybe cancel in 4 weeks.
    I'll give it a good go I think. Some great games on there.

I had to delete data on my Play Store app to get the option to appear.
    Couldn't use carrier billing for the monthly sub, but could for the annual one.

Yeah, I just tried it on the yearly one to test.
    I assumed it'd work for the monthly one too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone found a replacement for Dark Sky that gives 15 or 30 min rain notifications ?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone found a replacement for Dark Sky that gives 15 or 30 min rain notifications ?

Yeh, I had Dark Sky but deleted it as it wasn't accurate. I use Arcus which is more accurate but would like an alternative.....

Curious to know what is the best weather app when it comes to android. The two I've used over the years are now both radically different or no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I use Weather Underground. I find it fairly accurate.

I use Weather Underground. I find it fairly accurate.

The Weather underground data is all crowd sourced therefore it'll be more up to date and localised. I have my own weather station out the back and contribute to it myself.

The new version of the Weather underground app is horrible though. I wish they'd bring back the old version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The Weather underground data is all crowd sourced therefore it'll be more up to date and localised. I have my own weather station out the back and contribute to it myself.

The new version of the Weather underground app is horrible though. I wish they'd bring back the old version

Agreed about the latest version, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

R11 wrote: »
    Yeh, I had Dark Sky but deleted it as it wasn't accurate. I use Arcus which is more accurate but would like an alternative.....

I used to run both & they always agreed. Arcus used the Dark Sky API so that's now gone. It's the rainfall notifications that I need. I used them on my watch & so handy not having to check the radar.

Lots of apps say they are the new Dark Sky, some even use the name, but none seem to offer the 15 minute rain warning of DS or Arcus.

To clarify this is hyperlocal nowcasting rather than weather forecasting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody able to point me in the direction of a free photo splitting app?

Advertisement