Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

I've been testing a lot of IPTV apps on the Shield over the last few days. I've been downloading and installing from Aptoide TV and also getting the apk through Puffin.

All of the apk's were poor and most were riddled with ad's or didn't work properly. I uninstalled where possible and deleted the apk through Puffin.

Does this mean the apk is FULLY deleted? I don't want parts of these files and apps hanging around my Shield. Does it damage or slow down the shield if I install and delete lots of apps???

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭xlogo

OmegaGene wrote:
    Stb emu works fine for iptv

Can this be upgraded to non ad version without disruption to iptv settings etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Does anyone have any recommendations for IPTV on the shield?

Are there any good, solid paid services?

Also, is there anything free (with NO ad's !!!) that might be worth checking out.

Apologies for the basic question ... I'm very new to all this and probably missing out on lots that the shield can do.

How many times will people have to be asked not to post about IPTV services or ask for PM's about illegal services?? I mean FFS.... :rolleyes:

To those thinking of sending PM's, if people won't bother to read the thread, will they even bother to read your reply? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

< mod snip>

Sh1t like this will get this thread closed.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with emby freezing lately ?
    Last few nights it’s stopping every couple of minutes, fairly annoying to say the least

Yeah there's a thread about it on the Emby forum
    https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/page-5#entry679032

There's not much hope of you getting to the bottom of it if You've not got your own server. You'd need to contact your provider, they may be using issues

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

You can use the getflix app to update to your new ip, I don’t have a static ip so when I want to use getflix for iplayer etc I have to do this

Tried this on the app and still no joy.So I installed it on shield updated and it seems to work now.Thanks for advice 👌

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sh1t like this will get this thread closed.

And the poster a 5 day ban issued.

This thread is here because so many people have bought the Shield (many are from bargain alerts), and to help posters get the most out of it. But discussion of anything dodgy is not allowed either on thread or by requesting of PM's.

Consider this post as the final warning, automatic ban for anyone not following these rules.

I would ask posters to report any posts and not replying to them please.

Davy wrote: »

This thread is here because so many people have bought the Shield (many are from bargain alerts), and to help posters get the most out of it. But discussion of anything dodgy is not allowed either on thread or by requesting of PM's.

Consider this post as the final warning, automatic ban for anyone not following these rules.

At this stage it needs to be added to the thread title and/or opening post. As it's a massive thread posters jump in and ask questions they shouldn't without even reading the previous page. Your warning will be lost otherwise. It's happening every few days

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know a few people are on the lookout for shields at the moment, one of the main mods over on WOS has 3 2nd hand units up for sale at the moment.
    Not at a huge discount to be honest but they are from a reliable seller.
    Just said I'd share here in case anyone is interested.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60722-3x-Nvidia-Sheilds-For-Sale-2x-16GB-and-1x-500GB&p=480015#post480015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭54and56

Stb emu works fine for iptv

As does https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.iptvremote.android.iptv&hl=en which I settled on after trying many and using StbEmu for almost a year. It's got a clean Android TV friendly UI and is really simple to set up and use. I've linked to the free version, it you like it you can pay a once off fee (€5.99 IIRC) to buy the pro version and get rid of the ad's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Davy wrote: »

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Can you send me Pm

@bozharry1 Can you not read?

bazzz wrote: »
    No I’m blind and typing on a brail keyboard.Did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭54and56

The reason I stick with stb emu is that’s what the provider I use told me that’s the best one for his iptv
    I really should upgrade to the pro version but I’m just so lazy lol

StbEmu is rock solid and I used it very happily for over a year on my Shield (and Mi Box) but I always found it slow to load and the gareish UI and solid background green (implemented by my IPTV provider) an assault on the senses so personally I prefer IPTV which seems to be built (or redesigned) for Android TV and not only does it load incredibly quickly but it's easy on the eye.

(Sounds like I'm a salesperson for IPTV but I'm not, I promise!!)

Hi I I’m using the usual apps on shield.4od bbc ITV Morpheus.what are the rest of you using?Mostly use for iptv and plex.Is there any other good apps out there.Im using shield tv a long time and I love it.I was wondering also is retrox worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Hi I I’m using the usual apps on shield.4od bbc ITV Morpheus.what are the rest of you using?Mostly use for iptv and plex.Is there any other good apps out there.Im using shield tv a long time and I love it.I was wondering also is retrox worth it?

I tried out retrox last week (only got the shield) its a handy way of having one app for all emulators but don't know if its any better than just having each individual emulator installed.

It does work well though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

On a safe level of the IPTV topic, do any players like stbemu, perfect player allow for pausing and recording to external hdd?
    Perfect player,, EPG is tops

bazzz wrote: »

Don't waste your energy mate, the thread will be better off when the lazy arses who don't/won't even read a few posts or pages of the thread collect their bans..... :rolleyes:

P.S. Admin, please don't ban me!! :D

The developer of RetroX has just posted that he's back recovered and working on RetroX again (slowly), he's added new features (game cheats) but that RetroX is now moving to an annual paid model with a more expensive lifetime subscription. Anyone who's already bought keeps lifetime forever, but from 28th January the annual sub will by the cost we paid for lifetime. If You've not bought get buying folks or it'll cost ye every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

The developer of RetroX has just posted that he's back recovered and working on RetroX again (slowly), he's added new features (game cheats) but that RetroX is now moving to an annual paid model with a more expensive lifetime subscription. Anyone who's already bought keeps lifetime forever, but from 28th January the annual sub will by the cost we paid for lifetime. If You've not bought get buying folks or it'll cost ye every year!

Don't use my shield for gaming but use to have ps2 back in the day and like street fighter and tekken also liked Mario cart

Worth getting lifetime sub for retro x if i do want to go back into gaming

• Advertisement

Don't use my shield for gaming but use to have ps2 back in the day and like street fighter and tekken also liked Mario cart

Worth getting lifetime sub for retro x if i do want to go back into gaming

Yes, it's a great all in one emulator that's very easy to setup, well worth buying now just to have before it goes annual fee

You can't emulate PS2 on the Shield btw, PS One and PSP only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Stb emu pro finally done here and now I’m advert free, I’m surprised there aren’t a few more features added, my sub ran out for a day and the small fella thought it was the end of the world lol

Was it handy enough switching over to pro? I'm getting a bit sick of the ads myself!

My gaming controller seems to have a mind of its own of late when I’m gaming with it, the left analogue stick acts as if it’s being pushed up it that makes sense
    Anyone any thoughts ?

Yeah I've had issues like that usually a reboot of the Shield and fully charge the controller fixes it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

OmegaGene wrote:
    My gaming controller seems to have a mind of its own of late when Im gaming with it, the left analogue stick acts as if its being pushed up it that makes sense Anyone any thoughts ?

Had the same problem. I contacted Nvidia to fix it as it's been like that a week or so.
    Have to wait from the RMA team to see if they'll fix or replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I just installed the controller update and now i can't connect via ethernet. I haven't touched any of the cables and Internet is working fine. Anyone else have this issue?

chewed wrote:
    I just installed the controller update and now i can't connect via ethernet. I haven't touched any of the cables and Internet is working fine. Anyone else have this issue?

Now it says wifi is not connected when I tried to connect to my wifi

Thanks for the heads up on this! :D Do you install and pay in the Playstore or do you sideload the app? Tried to get this set up before, but couldn't manage to do so. :(

OmegaGene wrote:
    Have you tried turning it off and on again ?

OmegaGene wrote:
    To quote the classic line from the it crowd

Yep. Tried rebooting everything. Makes no difference. Can't connect to anything

If I was me I would turn off the modem/router for a couple of minutes and unplug the shield and start again
    My LG tv said enthernet wasn’t connected the other day and it was, I hadn’t changed anything very strange

I tried all of these but still no luck! It was working perfectly all afternoon, then the Controller Update appeared and as soon as it was completed then all of the connection issues occurred.

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on this! :D Do you install and pay in the Playstore or do you sideload the app? Tried to get this set up before, but couldn't manage to do so. :(

No, it's no longer on the play store. You need to pay for it on the Retrox site and side load it.

Advertisement