Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cable ties would be invisible at night...

Well there has been a sudden surge in cable ties placed outside gates of houses and farm yards in our area in the last number of weeks, ironicly enough where the home owner owns a dog

I imagine most of the dogs would be snatched in daylight, given the fact these brazen pricks are driving in around people's property in broad daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

razorblunt wrote: »
    What’s the likelihood of dogs ending up as bait? It sounds horrific and obviously does/can happen but is it a bit of a boogeyman story?

One of my dogs was siezed from his original breederby warden as a pup. The litter were specifically bred for bait. 3 of the litter survived

I will confirm to you right now, if that c**t that was whistling outside my house the other night comes back, I will use whatever force force is necessary to make sure my dogs are safe.

They are rescues who have been through hell before we got them and they are my family.

We have had a number of dogs stolen in the area, not run away or got lost, they were stolen.

If they turn up at my house, they won't be in a fit condition to call to anyone else.

buried wrote: »
    No I'm actually not, until I see some sort of actual crime dognapping incidents right in my area where there are countless numbers of dogs running around all day every day, then I might start to believe this hype noise that this is some sort of major problem. My local area is laden with dogs running about, so these dastardly criminals mustn't be too bright or they would have scoped out this place eons ago. As I said, we got bigger, actual problems out here.

Most areas targeted are on the ferry run. Surprisingly few stolen this weekend with the Garda checkpoints increased

Daisy a springer spaniel was stolen from wexford. Her 7 pups were also stolen.
    They sliced her neck open to taken her microchip and glued a muzzle onto her.

The videos posted by her owner of the night she got home and the poor thing crying and whimpering are heartbreaking

• Advertisement

Well there has been a sudden surge in cable ties placed outside gates of houses and farm yards in our area in the last number of weeks, ironicly enough where the home owner owns a dog

I imagine most of the dogs would be snatched in daylight, given the fact these brazen pricks are driving in around people's property in broad daylight

Cable ties and elastic bands around here too. What they seem to be for is to signifying the amount of dogs in the property.

Bait for what though?

Dog fighting. Pups and small dogs are given to the fighting dogs as live bait to "blood" them. It's believed it makes them more vicious. They use cats and rabbits too.

Never ever advertise pets as free to a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just heard now of a seven month old German shepherd pup stolen from her kennel yesterday in Wexford has been found deceased this evening.

Her family have just said thanks to everyone fior trying to get her home.

Details unclear but has died at the hands of the thieves......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The whole pet industry is sick. If you care about animals at all you wouldn't be putting your money into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

kowloonkev wrote: »
    The whole pet industry is sick. If you care about animals at all you wouldn't be putting your money into it.

So what would you have people do?
    I've got ferrets.

• Advertisement

I've got ferrets.

Rescue not buy from breeders

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Once had a st Bernard poisoned by tinkers, still better than having a dog stolen by them

At least you can bury the dog yourself

kowloonkev wrote: »

My dog is 13 and is starting to show his age. My husband and I were chatting before about would we at some stage get another dog. We’ve agreed that if we do, we’ll apply to a shelter for one. I’m thinking that I would like to help out an older dog that needs a loving home rather than get a puppy.

I definitely won’t be buying a dog from done deal or any other ad like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Cable ties would be invisible at night...

Be careful with sensible posts that use basic logic. The social media and tabloid readers won't like your common sense

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colored-stickers-target-homes-dog-owners/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There have been calls lately to make animal theft a more a severe crime than what it is now. Now it is just classed as property theft. A party of me thinks that government don't want to bring any law in because they would have to put financial resources into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

silver2020 wrote: »

Be careful with sensible posts that use basic logic. The social media and tabloid readers won't like your common sense

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colored-stickers-target-homes-dog-owners/

I wrap my dog in tinfoil and put cable ties on my neighbours gates, seems to work, my dog hasn't been robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I have done it, and none of it is happening around me. One or two dogs going missing somewhere else isn't on my list of concerns. I've far bigger $hit to **** off and research

This is happening in the west of the country also. Not just the east of the country.

So what, its not your concern. Don't discredit the whole thing because you have far more important **** to do in your self imposed bubble of importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To answer the original question, apparently the answer is no.

The guards locally say so, I think it was a social media invented story.

There have been calls lately to make animal theft a more a severe crime than what it is now. Now it is just classed as property theft. A party of me thinks that government don't want to bring any law in because they would have to put financial resources into it.

Yep and that is the answer. Make the punishment a lot more severe than the crime.

It will be "companion pets" and looking at making it a criminal act with up to 5 years imprisonment.

With a bit of luck you won't have any TD or senator opposing it (they'd be lynched if they did) and it will pass all stages quickly. Its a FF wexford TD James Browne proposal.

But people need to push him to make sure it sees the light of day and not just the usual political hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

a dog was stolen in east cork where Im from and it was discovered and recovered from county galway!

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I've got ferrets.

Look after the pets you have until they die comfortably in your arms.

People make excuses saying that they get from rescue centres etc and they have a good heart in fairness but they are contributing to that industry in a small way, unless they are avoiding buying the pet food, toys and all.

People who buy from pet shops or unknown sellers disgust me to be honest and need to take a long look at themselves, and don't tell me they care about animals or love animals because they're very selfish people who blind themselves from the reality so they can have a possession/accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dreadful to think that they would be stolen; people would be bereft; and Never be able to deal with the loss.

but, also, - there being so many pets nowadays;- this is the loss of life of the farm animals; literally put to death, for people's food, and pets' food.

Can't even have a discussion about pets without some one from the mEaT iS MuRDeR brigade.

What's a dog to do? Chew on a celery stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

I've seen post of people having the white calk mark on their walls but these people who areposting this stuff locally are the ones who normally post anything for likes so wouldnt be surprised if they are doing it themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bait for what though?

Fighting dogs is what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

piplip87 wrote: »
        I've seen post of people having the white calk mark on their walls but these people who areposting this stuff locally are the ones who normally post anything for likes so wouldnt be surprised if they are doing it themselves

Winding up the Facebook huns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Are 'expensive items that are often left unsecured' being stolen in your area?

Yes.

Like always.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

One of my dogs was siezed from his original breederby warden as a pup. The litter were specifically bred for bait. 3 of the litter survived

Any idea what happened to the breeder? You'd have to ask serious questions of someone that fights dogs, breed dogs for bait and / or fighting.

piplip87 wrote: »

the chalk marks and cable ties and ribbons are all BS and these stories have various forms going back decades in countries all over the world.

People need to call out those who make these comments and stop the scaremongering. The gutter press who will print any sh1te are not helping as truth never matters for those type of journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

parents during lockdown paid huge sums of money to get dogs so they wouldnt have to spend time with their kids whom they hardly know as they are being raised by creches and nannies etc.

So they paid fortunes for dogs thence the thefts. all these over priced dogs will be dumped once normality resumes society is ****ed up . I saw an add for 1200 euro for a jack russell = 1200 EURO & some fool will pay it & drive puppy farming of the scales.

people need to take along hard look at how they live their lives.. Working long hours to be able to pay 1200 for a small dog to convince themselves they are great parents

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

razorblunt wrote: »
        Any idea what happened to the breeder? You'd have to ask serious questions of someone that fights dogs, breed dogs for bait and / or fighting.

A well known ethnic group.

Advertisement