Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying things abut supermarkets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

GT89 wrote: »
    Well I can't speak for whichever supermarket you go to but I have never more than one cage/trolley or pallet on an aisle at any one time. If ever this was the case would be late at night when there are less customers in the shop and in order to het the shop packed for the next day.

I've experienced that in Tesco, Supervalu & Lidl on several occasions.

Happened to me in Tesco on Thursday at about 5pm so I wouldn't call that late.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

The main thing that annoys me about supermarket shopping is poor dates and bad looking meat, fish, fresh food on the shelves. I've no idea how people just pick up a packet of discoloured meat and throws it in the trolley without looking at it.

I bet you squeeze both ends of the sliced pan! LOL

Aul ones in my local shop squeeze everything; bread, rolls, cakes, fruit. Big dirty finger dents in everything by the time they go back to the first one they picked up and take that!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When the customer in front of you realizes that they have forgotten something, leaves the till, disappears for 2 mins, leaving everyone standing , comes back laughing with an extra box of Cadbury’s mini rolls which are on special. Then when it’s time to pay, they can find the money but no sign of the club card, they look up at the ceiling like if they stare up there long enough it’s just going to start raining their clubcard down to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Th only way out in Aldi and Lidl is through the checkouts, so people who don't buy anything have to come out past the queue, mostly they are polite and get your attention from behind so you can let them by. But now and then you get an ignorant caveman/woman who barges through without warning and clatters you out of their way :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

When you see a worker offering free food samples, only to realise it is something I wouldn't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

The way you can never find the eggs.

The way you can never find the eggs.

There's a science to that now. You have to look down every aisle to find them and then there they are... beside the toothbrushes:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Strumms wrote: »
    When the customer in front of you realizes that they have forgotten something, leaves the till, disappears for 2 mins, leaving everyone standing , comes back laughing with an extra box of Cadbury’s mini rolls which are on special.

I put one woman's stuff back in her basket when she did that for the second time in the queue. First time she raced to get into the queue, unloaded her 4 or 5 items and then disappeared for a couple of minutes and came back with some fruit. Then she headed off again and I just packed her items back into a basket and left it to one side and moved up the line.

She wasn't pleased when she got back a few minutes later with a couple of bottles of wine and about 5 people now ahead of her in the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Baguette.

Never heard it called a French log.

About to pray to you to give the thread a bit of insight, never fails......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The "music"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

Always come across gob****es that park their trolley on one side of the aisle and then go over to the other side to browse. Then there’s those that have a full blown conversation on the phone or talking with someone for ages and blocking bread or something that most would need to get at

The "music"

I think you'll find that's actually Muzak! :cool:

*Saves on royalties and keeps your grocery costs down!:)

EDIT: Although I would be willing to pay an extra fiver for good tunes every time I go shopping with Missus Beast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why don't they load the fcukin shelves when the supermarket is CLOSED ...?

They do it's called nightpack and most of the larger supermarkets do it. But stock needs to be kept on the shelves during the day too and it is difficult to get and retain staff to work nights

Not to sound like a Facebook Dad, but why do hardly any of the supermarket staff wear masks?

I suppose it's a bit exhausting, and they're mostly young people so hardly at-risk, but as we're often reminded, the whole point of a mask is to protect others.

A large amount of the transmission has been traced to asymptomatic/ pre-symptomatic spreaders, so it's surprising that supermarkets aren't enforcing mask wearing among their own staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

not enough cashiers on (yet again tesco ballybrack!) and a MASSIVE queue at the self-service checkouts. And half of them are broken again FFS. Back to Super Valu...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Store lay out is I think the worst thing.

Usually fruit & veg at the start, no issue, however it is then onto bread, then diary, then tinned goods, then bottles.

Just results in bread getting squashed.

The checkout system at Aldi/Lidl is so inefficient, unload the trolley of goods to be scanned to only load it again, then to take it to the window to unload it again in order to bag it.

Luckily some of the new shops have large checkouts so people can bag at the checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The other people.

The greatest annoyance about any place is always other people.

L'enfer c'est les autres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

biko wrote: »
    Baguette even

the OP is a baguette bagatelle

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

The Family Day Out people, himself, herself and several "I want I want waaaaa" kids.

"Put that back, put it Baaack", "if you don't behave that lady will take you" (you're alright love, thanks :D ) "take that out of your mouth" "get down! "Get down off that" "no" "waaaaaa"

The main reason I shop at night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

French bread suffice description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GeorgeSmt

queues, exactly queues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Idiots in the queue in Dunnes handing the cashier a big fistful of money off vouchers thus holding up the entire queue.

Also in Lidl one day, the same big galoot with a whistly voice kept cutting across me and getting in my way no matter what aisle I was in. I just couldn't shrug him off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely with tech nowadays you should be able to pack in bags as you go along and products get scanned together with RFID tech or something. So you just pay your bill and go.

The amazon store in Seattle have this - you connect your phone to their wifi when you go in, take some stuff, and then walk out, and an invoice is sent to your Amazon account.

The Decathlon near me (not in Ireland) has something not quite so advanced, but getting there: at the self service checkout, the bagging area is a hollow box with scanners on each side. You put all your stuff in (all in the one go, without scanning the individual items), it asks you to confirm that there are these x number of items, and then you pay and go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Foreigners in lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

BuboBubo wrote: »
    The Family Day Out people, himself, herself and several "I want I want waaaaa" kids.

"Put that back, put it Baaack", "if you don't behave that lady will take you" (you're alright love, thanks :D ) "take that out of your mouth" "get down! "Get down off that" "no" "waaaaaa"

The main reason I shop at night :)
    Them barrelling around the place like missiles with a fcuked guidance system as well. I have nearly been put knocked on me arse or tripped over the little angels on more than one occasion. Some parents treat the supermarket like a park or playground, as soon as they are in the door it is let the kids off the leash and go into ignore mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The music is usually more than 20 years old.

Probably a good thing now that I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

touts wrote: »
    I put one woman's stuff back in her basket when she did that for the second time in the queue. First time she raced to get into the queue, unloaded her 4 or 5 items and then disappeared for a couple of minutes and came back with some fruit. Then she headed off again and I just packed her items back into a basket and left it to one side and moved up the line.

She wasn't pleased when she got back a few minutes later with a couple of bottles of wine and about 5 people now ahead of her in the queue.

Fûck her, and the horse she rode in on... the miserable twát. Should have gone all Walter Sobchak on her.. “Life does not stop and start at your convenience, you miserable piece of ****.”... maybe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not having cash/card ready to pay at the till.

You have all the time in the world to get this ready in the queue ****ing hurry up, no excuse for it.

My local Tesco not too bad but was going to the tills in Tesco Maynooth the other day and had 3/4 products that I wasn't sure if they were part of a deal or not.

Surely a manager should be going around checking for this or maybe it is deliberate.

Trust me, no one responsible for handling the price labels is highly paid enough to care how much money the place makes. They certainly don't care enough about your money to try to trick you into thinking you're getting a deal.

My main annoyance (especially since COVID, as I'm trying my best to give other people space), is when you're looking at a shelf and you know you're going to be a while, and someone else comes along trying to look at the same thing. I think to myself, oh I'll step back a bit so we can both see the shelf and I'm not blocking it. 70% of the time the other person just steps in right in front of me, totally into my personal space and blocking the shelf for me, even though I'm clearly still trying to look for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When they don't have what you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 EasterSheep

Not having cash/card ready to pay at the till.

You have all the time in the world to get this ready in the queue ****ing hurry up, no excuse for it.

Even worse when they say "oh i just need to grab one more thing" after their other stuff is already scanned and both you and the shopkeeper have to stand there awkwardly waiting on them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Foreigners in lidl
    Don't get me started.

I was checking out the Polish section. But then they asked me to leave the staff room :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I used to prefer Tesco but since lockdown I have switched to Lidl, the only thing I hate about Lidl is you usually cant get all the things you need there, you need say 8 items for a recipe you are making, Lidl might have 6 or 7 of the items you need so you have to go to another supermarket to get the remaining items. its infuriating when its something basic like basil leaves or some spice they should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Standing for ten minutes at the only till open and then as soon as you start to put your stuff on the belt, they open the one beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Me and my sister do it, and we got it from our dad, but like being overly loud waling through the aisles. Like a running monologue while shopping. It's actually annoying, much better to just go in, know what you want and get the **** out. You see it loads whereby people have overy loud deliberations over whether they should get rice or pasta or both.

I'm not in favour of bland sterile environments but come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I never realised the supermarket was such a hot-bed of stress, tension and frustration!! Get over it people, you'll probably take 10 minutes off your life getting worked up about a slow moving queue!!
    My only real gripe about them is the car-parking. Car pulled in, front wheel across the line into the next space. Learn to park FFS, it'll take you 30 seconds to park properly. Not unique to supermarket car parks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

Parents who let their kids whine all around the shop cos they didn't get what they want. If I wanted to listen to that I would have stayed at home.For instance in cornelcourt this morning a kid wanted to get a trolley and the father wouldn't get one ,the kid was still crying half way round the shop. How parents can bear to listen to them😢

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We beat most of this crap by shopping early, ideally mid week, along with a fair few other clever clogs. I know that may not be possible for many but also popping in during their last hour of trading every day, it's quiet then too. Find a lot of the time I'm there late, they are stocking the shelves as it's so quiet.

The weekly shop has these days become more of a 10 day/fortnight shop. Buying a small number of extras as well the last 2 shops just in case we have another lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I used to prefer Tesco but since lockdown I have switched to Lidl, the only thing I hate about Lidl is you usually cant get all the things you need there, you need say 8 items for a recipe you are making, Lidl might have 6 or 7 of the items you need so you have to go to another supermarket to get the remaining items. its infuriating when its something basic like basil leaves or some spice they should have.

Yeah Ive had that with Lidl/Aldi where you are one or two ingredients short for a recipe and have to go elsewhere to get them. Its frustrating but it is what it is. Lidl/Aldis spice ranges are tiny compared to the others. Supervalue and Dunnes sell those expensive Schwartz spices which are a rip off for what they are. At least Tesco have their own brand spices which are good value.

Best way to solve the basil problem is buy a basil plant, they are only 1.50 compared to 99c for a bag of basil leaves. I get one at the start of every summer and put it on the kitchen window ledge. Once you water it every 2 or 3 days it will repay with you enough basil leaves to last the whole summer to put on top of pizzas or make pesto with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

touts wrote: »

the worst is when fuuckers like this, nuisance customers who do nuisance things in general, laugh to themselves like its nothing as if to say'' ah jesus im a gas thing, holding everyone up, i should have my own podcast im such a character hehehe''' like they're in a sitcom or something, oblivious to the blinding urge of fellow shoppers to strangle them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm all lost in the supermarket
    I can no longer shop happily
    I came in here for a special offer
    A guaranteed personality

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

I'm all lost in the supermarket
    I can no longer shop happily
    I came in here for a special offer
    A guaranteed personality

That you Joe ??

Remember why I've him on Ignore.

Oh well, we can all eagerly listen in tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd be easy going about most of the slightly annoying things others do but it drives me mad when someone is on the phone unloading their shopping because it takes them all day to get it on the conveyor and the chat continues on the other end when its time to pack it in the trolley and sometimes even goes on while they root in the purse for cash/card.

99% of the time the conversation is rubbish and we know this because we can all hear it but they still couldn't just hang up and call back later instead of holding everyone else up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I'd be easy going about most of the slightly annoying things others do but it drives me mad when someone is on the phone unloading their shopping because it takes them all day to get it on the conveyor and the chat continues on the other end when its time to pack it in the trolley and sometimes even goes on while they root in the purse for cash/card.

99% of the time the conversation is rubbish and we know this because we can all hear it but they still couldn't just hang up and call back later instead of holding everyone else up.

When i worked on tills,i waited till they where finished to serve them.Its just so rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I load the stuff onto the conveyor belt in the order I want to pack it: heavy stuff first (milk, water, etc), fragile stuff last (fruit, eggs, bread). Annoys me no end when the cashier reaches over the milk to scan a head of lettuce or a punnet of strawberries first - then I have to leave it sitting there in the packing area until the milk cartons come down so I can put them into the bag first, then put the soft stuff on top. I’d hate to see what kind of crushed mess their own shopping ends up in.

I used to shop at my local Tesco at 10 at night, because it was nice and quiet and I was busy at home at normal hours with a very young family. Tesco was open till 12 at the time. Every night, there was always just one till open, and always the same woman on it. She used to try to be friendly and chat, which I didn’t mind at first. But then she started this thing of analysing all my shopping: giving out to me for buying something she thought was too expensive, asking me if such and such was nice, making unsolicited recommendations about stuff I didn’t want, asking personal questions about my family and why we were buying stuff. In the end I had to stop going at that time because she was just getting too emotionally invested in my groceries.

Was in there a few weeks ago, and this guy on the till kept firing my stuff down to the bagging area after scanning it. It slopes down anyway, but this guy looked like he was practicing his 10 pin bowling. I feel like a baseball catcher, having to be at the ready with my mitt to catch this stuff before it smashed off the end of the checkout. Then half way through, he picks up some random item and instead of scanning it, starts reading the label. Then turns it over to examine the ingredients and instructions in minute detail. There’s a queue standing behind me, I’m just standing there looking at him, and this guy is taking his time to study this packet of pasta or whatever it was. Next thing, he scans it and fires it down the slope at me. I caught it, but I swear he was just trying to catch me off guard.

I swear he was just trying to catch me off guard.

I don't doubt you.

Become the most popular national pastime among the usual snarky suspects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Feisar

My main annoyance (especially since COVID, as I'm trying my best to give other people space), is when you're looking at a shelf and you know you're going to be a while, and someone else comes along trying to look at the same thing. I think to myself, oh I'll step back a bit so we can both see the shelf and I'm not blocking it. 70% of the time the other person just steps in right in front of me, totally into my personal space and blocking the shelf for me, even though I'm clearly still trying to look for something.

Is it: thickness/self obsession/complete lack of awareness of surroundings?

First they came for the socialists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Robsweezie wrote: »
    the worst is when fuuckers like this, nuisance customers who do nuisance things in general, laugh to themselves like its nothing as if to say'' ah jesus im a gas thing, holding everyone up, i should have my own podcast im such a character hehehe''' like they're in a sitcom or something, oblivious to the blinding urge of fellow shoppers to strangle them.
    I remember a couple of days before Christmas one year going to a Dunnes Stores off-licence which is in its own unit next to the supermarket. A man decided to pay for the contents of a heaped trolley in there because he was too impatient to queue in the supermarket. He had masses of groceries. I was annoyed that the off-licence staff agreed to entertain him. It took ages, and there was only one person on the till. The queue became ridiculous. The man got embarrassed and said he was sorry repeatedly, which was something I suppose - better than acting all self entitled. But he can't have been that sorry when he did it in the first place! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It was said early on in the thread, the most annoying thing is the people, be they selfish ignorant customers or staff. It's why I shop late, it's why I use self service. If I want to chat with staff, I'll initiate it, otherwise just do your job and move on. Customers, I get angry just thinking about them, the touch-everythingers, the talkwhereverthefukiwantblockingothers people, recently the non-mask wearers. Just people in general. Bring back the days of 24 hours Tesco so I can go in at 3am and enjoy my shopping, which subsequently takes less time because of the lack of aforementioned gobshytes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement