Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids hanging around me while fixing car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I honestly don’t think things are such that you’ll be “labelled” for talking to neighbourhood kids or tying a shoelace. My kids, and all their friends, occasionally chat to people in our estate about their car/cat/dog/whatever, and I have kids I don’t know come up to me and ask questions if I’m doing stuff in the front garden. It’s perfectly normal, and any parent who lets their kids out to play in public in the first place will know that it’s perfectly normal.

If you don’t want to talk to them for whatever reason, or don’t want to tie a lace, that’s perfectly fine, just tell them you’re busy and to move on and play elsewhere.

If you do chat to them, obviously don’t let them into your house, into the car, or give them treats or anything - that’s where a line would be crossed. But you clearly know that yourself.

Sometimes it’s good to get to know the kids in your area - as they grow up, they’re less likely to give you any hassle if they know you.

And I certainly wouldn’t worry about servicing your car on the road. Obviously don’t leave an angle grinder running unattended, but don’t worry about your bag of spanners and sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

It's good the kids in your area are at least playing outside, I don't what the kids are up to in my area pretty sure they all just sit in playing video games and go to eachothers houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

This is really a sad situation but you're probably right to not fully engage with them. I say it's sad because we had an old man on my estate when I was a kid who was a welder. Any time we saw him out in his shed we would all go in and watch him work on whatever and he would teach us and tell us what he was doing. Unfortunately I couldnt see that happening nowadays and it's a sad reflection on society.

Even from my own pov, we have the kids from across the green knock into our house to ask can they take my dog to play with him. At first I wasnt sure what to do so went over to ask the parents was this ok. Now when they knock in I always make sure they've told their.parents first and they go off happily with the dog around the green. It's sad that I have to be so careful about something so simple as a child wanting to play with a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I disagree. Tying a kids shoe laces is just that no matter how social service over Lord's spin it. Perhaps move your car tinkering to another place if you want privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I disagree. Tying a kids shoe laces is just that no matter how social service over Lord's spin it. Perhaps move your car tinkering to another place if you want privacy

All it takes is someone to say " that old fella is always chatting with the young kids and asking do they want a spin in his car" and you will be labelled a paedo under the " no smoke without fire" rule. Middle aged, single, no kids enough said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

dobman88 wrote: »
    This is really a sad situation but you're probably right to not fully engage with them. I say it's sad because we had an old man on my estate when I was a kid who was a welder. Any time we saw him out in his shed we would all go in and watch him work on whatever and he would teach us and tell us what he was doing. Unfortunately I couldnt see that happening nowadays and it's a sad reflection on society.

Even from my own pov, we have the kids from across the green knock into our house to ask can they take my dog to play with him. At first I wasnt sure what to do so went over to ask the parents was this ok. Now when they knock in I always make sure they've told their.parents first and they go off happily with the dog around the green. It's sad that I have to be so careful about something so simple as a child wanting to play with a dog.

You don't have to be careful about letting a dog out for a walk. 90% of child abuse is in the home. The era where adults of a peadophilic nature got access to kids without supervision is over. Then we wonder why kids suffer anxiety because they are listening to the social worker over Lord's who see danger just around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Edgware wrote: »
    All it takes is someone to say " that old fella is always chatting with the young kids and asking do they want a spin in his car" and you will be labelled a paedo under the " no smoke without fire" rule. Middle aged, single, no kids enough said

Like this isn’t something that realistically happens though, is it? I’m sure people have anecdotal stories that can’t be verified, but it’s not something I’ve ever heard of in my own life happening nor do I see it on the news. If anything what I’d be more familiar with from my own experience is people who I’d consider a bit suss being allowed to actively participate in areas that’d give them access to children, rather than innocent people being burned at the stake over non-incidents. But the point is what you’re saying isn’t enough of a thing IMO to advise another person to modify their behaviour accordingly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You don't have to be careful about letting a dog out for a walk. 90% of child abuse is in the home. The era where adults of a peadophilic nature got access to kids without supervision is over. Then we wonder why kids suffer anxiety because they are listening to the social worker over Lord's who see danger just around the corner

Mod:

Please keep posts on topic and have advice for the OP when you post. General discussion is not permitted in this forum as it distracts from the OP's issue.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Id make it clear you don't want the attention or audience, spin it like you're doing something dangerous and they could get hurt.

The real issue here is not the children, its the parents.

A lot of people aren't right in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yeah...i wouldn't be tying any random kids shoelaces for them on the street.

It's sad but that's the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

I work with kids and a very small minority of parents are incredibly over protective of their kids, sometimes to the point where it interferes with me doing my job. You can never be too careful with how you interact with kids, especially when the parents don't know you. You did the right thing telling them to ask their parents to tie their shoelace, because though rare, those types of parents do exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

I work with kids and a very small minority of parents are incredibly over protective of their kids, sometimes to the point where it interferes with me doing my job. You can never be too careful with how you interact with kids, especially when the parents don't know you. You did the right thing telling them to ask their parents to tie their shoelace, because though rare, those types of parents do exist.
    Don't the parents have any resposibility to see to it the children are not exposed to any possible danger.If they do not want them around someone working on a car shouldn't they tell them stay away and ensure they do. The man working cannot tell them F off so what can he say if they approach him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mod:

Thread locked
    as it was pointed out that the OP hasn't been back in two weeks.

Thanks & grma all who posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement