Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I was told they were, by someone who has a close relative living there. Sydney, I believe.

You believe?

I live in Sydney and have been for the last 15 years.
    21/12/2020

The Australian Defence Force has deployed 1298 personnel to support hotel quarantine.

That includes 342 ADF personnel in New South Wales, 284 in Queensland and 150 in Victoria, Mr Morrison said.

The ADF is not currently patrolling any borders or hotspots.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-paul-kelly-appointed-as-australias-chief-medical-officer/11fb1d30-9914-4740-b0c6-3c8ff06bcc04

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭alps

orm0nd wrote: »
    I reckon there will be have to designated centres set up,

storage is the big issue, I can't see -70c facilities being available at small scale outlets

Back to the farmers again.....who has -70 storage tanks in their dairies?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

alps wrote: »
    Back to the farmers again.....who has -70 storage tanks in their dairies?

We really are the all rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

mandrake04 wrote: »

Look, I was only saying what I was told. No need to be tetchy.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Look, I was only saying what I was told. No need to be tetchy.

Sorry Mate, I was just clarifying the facts rather than hearsay.

No harm intended

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Maybe asymptomatic cases aren't infectious...

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4851

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

greysides wrote: »
    Maybe asymptomatic cases aren't infectious...

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4851

Interesting that it says 17/20% of infections a re asymptomatic. This is much lower than any figure I have heard. This means we have a fairly accurate knowledge of the total numbers, by multiplying the known cases by 1.2.

BTW one of a family, a front line worker, has been notified they are being vaccinated next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Almost 1300 cases today... this is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

whelan2 wrote: »

With the known lag to hospital admission and likley increase rate of deaths down the road - its going to make for a rough January I reckon.

Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gozunda wrote: »
    With the known lag to hospital admission and likley increase rate of deaths down the road - its going to make for a rough January I reckon.

Stay safe everyone.

The positive age profile is younger which will hopefully result in fewer admissions and fewer desperately sick admissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

whelan2 wrote: »

We are in a phase of rapid growth in testing. We have gone from 78,000 tests a week two weeks ago to somewhere around 125,000 for the week ending tomorrow.
    This will level off, but the changes in testing numbers make it look like numbers are growing much faster than they actually are at this point in time

I think it's pretty much a given, unless changes are made to testing. As a small to moderate rise will lead to test numbers being ramped up by 20+% over a short period of time giving the illusion of a much faster rise than actually is going on.
    We still have no way of knowing what the test results actually represent

Posted at the start of this month.
    We went from 75k tests last week of November to 76k test the first week of December to 82k tests 2nd week, 91k in the third week and for the last 7 days we are currently on 110k tests with the rate of testing still on the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Posted at the start of this month.
    We went from 75k tests last week of November to 76k test the first week of December to 82k tests 2nd week, 91k in the third week and for the last 7 days we are currently on 110k tests with the rate of testing still on the increase.

That's a 50% increase in testing ability but the resultant has been a 300% increase in positive cases in the same time frame. Going by those figures there been a 200% increase in cases in 4 weeks

dh1985 wrote: »
    That's a 50% increase in testing ability but the resultant has been a 300% increase in positive cases in the same time frame. Going by those figures there been a 200% increase in cases in 4 weeks

744 cases today. Nearly a 40% drop

Saying there are more positive because of more testing is an old Donald Trump argument. More testing is because more have symptoms and thus the virus is spreading more. We know a lockdown during Jan/Feb will be the only way to lower the figures. With vaccine rollout, esp first to the vulnerable, it will the the last one.

Reggie. wrote: »
    744 cases today. Nearly a 40% drop

There was a fairly large drop in samples collected on Christmas day, we were on 110k tests in the 7 days up until yesterday, todays update is 106 for the last 7 days

Water John wrote: »
    Saying there are more positive because of more testing is an old Donald Trump argument. More testing is because more have symptoms and thus the virus is spreading more. We know a lockdown during Jan/Feb will be the only way to lower the figures. With vaccine rollout, esp first to the vulnerable, it will the the last one.

Testing lags spread and then rapidly closes the gap. Giving the illusion of an exponential growth.
    We've seen the exact same thing happen in October, fast rise in testing then testing numbers fell off a cliff. But the falling trend in covid positives was never sustained because it was never on quite as high a trajectory as testing indicated.

The 14 day incidence rate in donegal and wexford is very high. 21 deaths in northern Ireland reported today :eek:

Cabinet meeting tomorrow to consider further Level 5 restrictions. Numbers at 1,566 in NI today.
    Great to see vaccine rollout here.

Cabinet meeting tomorrow to consider further Level 5 restrictions. Numbers at 1,566 in NI today.
    Great to see vaccine rollout here.

1500ish here too

• Advertisement

Large number of people have arrived around here for New Years.

Very disheartening to hear of shopping centres being full etc.

Will all non essential shopping and services be stopped and all work from home be brought in for one last push. A lot of the highly vulnerable will be fully vaccinated by the end of Feb.

Will all non essential shopping and services be stopped and all work from home be brought in for one last push. A lot of the highly vulnerable will be fully vaccinated by the end of Feb.

Looking that way I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Me hole more important to have a bank holiday than vaccinate. It will be end of February before my dad gets it. He is very high on the vulnerable list in a nursing home. Haven't seen him since March. Guarantee there will be no vaccinations done on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Where is that Herd if you don’t mind me asking?
    You’d wonder what people are thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was coming behind a yellow reg car today.. Well it was a bmw yellow reg that passed me out and I caught up with them miles down the road when they got stuck behind a car on a twisty road.
    I'd swear they were straight off the boat.
    Anyway a few miles more of them taking turns at junctions and me still following on my way home. They indicated and pulled over to let me past. So on I goes.

There wouldn't be too many roads left the way they were going. I'd say they were getting worried that I was either the guards going to ask questions or a nosey neighbour wondering which house they were going to pull into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I was coming behind a yellow reg car today.. Well it was a bmw yellow reg that passed me out and I caught up with them miles down the road when they got stuck behind a car on a twisty road.
    I'd swear they were straight off the boat.
    Anyway a few miles more of them taking turns at junctions and me still following on my way home. They indicated and pulled over to let me past. So on I goes.

There wouldn't be too many roads left the way they were going. I'd say they were getting worried that I was either the guards going to ask questions or a nosey neighbour wondering which house they were going to pull into.

And which house did they pull into Say?

;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And which house did they pull into Say?

;):)

A beech tree.

• Advertisement

Where is that Herd if you don’t mind me asking?
    You’d wonder what people are thinking...

Way out West Dinzee. Merchants opened again today so I was on the road picking up a few bits. Met several "convoys", which aren't usual for normal traffic. See the village parking spots filled up and cars around tourist houses. People will moan but they're "at home", bull, they'll waddle off back East again Jan 2nd.

Big outbreak in the local town thanks to an after funeral pub session.

Some are too stupid to think. I don't particularly give a toss about the stupid ones, but you can bet they bring this virus on those who don't want it.

Advertisement