Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

M/M did look a bit tired and one-dimensional in recent games though, not hugely impressive against an admittedly good Corofin team, and were very reliant on McHugh and Finnerty up front. McHugh didn't repeat his heroics as he did v Corofin and not sure if Finnerty was fully fit. Moycullen were well up for it and Sean Kelly was an inspiration. Black marks against M/M for some heavy treatment on him.

After their earlier meeting with M/M in the group stages, I did predict that Salthill would meet them again in the county final, so I got it half right. Moycullen will be favourites but with Rob Finnerty and Tomo in very good form currently the seasiders have a live chance on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭cosatron

moran and michael Daly were big losses for mountbellew and they looked a bit off. I think the standard of football was very good so far this year and bodes well for the county set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Avon8

Its been great. Plenty of county prospects playing good stuff and some others putting their hand up.

It was almost a pity Corofin were so ridiculously good for so long, we see what an exciting championship it can be in the last 3 years since they dropped off a bit. Even then, Corofin never had an easy ride within Galway really. The relative lack of success of the county team over the last decade has probably blinded us to the local club championship becoming a bit of a behemoth. Id fancy Moycullen to go all the way if they make it over Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

5 all stars, Silke, Daly, McDaid, Comer and Walsh, good return unlucky for Sean Kelly probally paid the price for marking Clifford in the final.

Ya, 1 better than I really expected. Thought Daly and Comer might have been 'mutually exclusive'. Then again, don't know how Ciaran Kilkenny got in, good second half v Kerry, but anonymous in the first - there on reputation methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Robert2014

Congrats to all All-stars. Fantastic achievement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Had thought Comer might miss out for somebody like Rian O'Neill as somebody like Kilkenny was always going to get the nod. 5 is pretty fair for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

He might have stood beside him but he didn't mark him..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

There are very few who would have been able to mark him from any county and indeed from any era. Kelly is a super talent and did the best he could and played football, at least he wasn't mouthing at him like O Hora from Mayo making a fool of himself and his county in the absence of being able to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Think Kelly is wasted at full back…much better out field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Well done Moycullen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Jizique

What happened in Loughrea v Turloughmore, penos like the U21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Hard to see st Thomas beaten after watching both games yesterday . They got better as game went on . Having said that was disappointed with what I thought were a poor enough Sarsfields team for all the talk . Loughrea done what they had to do against a bridge team way too reliant on Niland … they scored 3 goals and will need the same to trouble Thomas’s ya would think … is McManus worth a look for galway ? . Thought the atmosphere was very flat and wasn’t helped by an exodus after the first game . Also wasn’t sure I could go till nearly throw in time yesterday and personally think 25 euro at the gate is at least 5 if not 10 euro too much in these high cost of living times .

Jamie Ryan was on a Galway panel a while back but I'd defo give him a go again in the League if he had the interest. His turn of pace is unreal. I believe he'd be in or around the same age as Jason Flynn so he'd probably be worth a go. Bad aul outing for the likes of Brennan and Niland. They never got going from play really.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Loughrea will cause a few problems for Thomas's but would expect them to go ahead and get the 5 in a row. They totally wiped out Sarsfields in the second half. I thought Sarsfield would give them a better game. Conor Cooney class again. He really delivers at club level.

Very strange performance from Clarinbridge They were way off it. Two man full forward line with the wind in first half didn't work at all. Very dependant on Niland. Kennedy, Brennan and Lee were very quiet. Loughrea look well drilled. They were way better team.

Niland got 14 points 4 or which were from play with very limited ball . Very hard to say he never got going especially considering conditions on top . Whoever’s fault it was bridge lost it wasn’t his .

Agreed, 'Bridge would have been well adrift only for Niland's display. Don't really see what county mgmt are yet seeing in Gavin Lee; he's young and probably not able to impose himself on a match as yet. Brennan tried manfully I thought but he may be a bit one-sided, but the day really didn't suit Mark Kennedy, who surprisingly struggled with his touch. On the other side I thought Tiernan Killeen enhanced his reputation, he looked assured all through. In the opener, Kevin Cooney was generally decent, though should have goaled with that first-half chance. Connaire found the going tough up against David Burke while Darren Morrissey surprisingly made a few errors. Shame Conor Cooney just can't migrate his club consistency to county form.

If you can buy your ticket in advance, you save €5 at the gate (or €10 if you are a student / OAP ...ahem!).

I certainly didn't pin the blame on him. By his high club standards he wouldn't be writing him about 4 from play either. The bridge are missing that bit of experience that lads like Coen add. It's a very young team yet.

• Advertisement

Going to be tough here for Moycullen without Cooke and McLaughlin (long term). Cooke was probably the player of the Galway championship and about the last lad you'd want to lose

Good game so far, reasonably open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭threeball

Mayo club football is a mirror image of its IC. Huge fitness and effort with very little return. The number of scoring chances missed is shocking.

There's 5 or teams in Galway that would win the Mayo championship most years.

Dessie shooting through lights out. Paul and Sean playing well. James back on the bench. Good progress for Galway/Moycullen. Hard to believe this is the best Mayo have to offer. Men against boys.

Great to hear McLaughlin is back in some form.

That was an excellent performance, doubly so given the enforced changes. Serious all Ireland contenders now with the lads to come back in. Dessie is some player at club level anyway. Kelly's great as per usual. They're a likeable team, hope it pans out for them

Mayo haven't really had a standout club team in a while. Still, I think it's more the Galway championship being good rather than theirs being poor. We like to complain as a fan base and the intercounty team hasn't been up to scratch, mostly anyway until this year but the club championship has been top 3 in the country for the best part of a decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway club football is good but a Galway team would fear a Roscommon club more than a Mayo one as the Roscommon clubs tend to have a couple of marquee forwards and the Mayo teams don't. We might be top three but for a county which only plays football the standard is way down the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That was Corofin like from Moycullen hugely impressive its going to take a top team to topple them.

All the more remarkable was there had a sickness in the camp and were forced to make 6 changes to their starting team and one of their best players Peter Cooke unable to feature at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Great result for Maigh Cuilinn. Hadn't realised they had such a problem with illness/injuries, really excellent display given the circumstances. Connaught title is surely a realistic target now.

Cork hurling home game not listed so would really hope that some sense has prevailed for once and that it's a double header with the Monaghan football game on March 5th. But there's a 3 week gap with no hurling on in February so I assume it'll be fixed for one of those weekends. If it's fixed for Feb 19th for Pearse stadium while the footballers play in Tuam it'll be the most laughable situation yet

Surely more can be done to provide a good experience for fans in dual counties. God knows it's hard enough to follow both teams in championship never mind league. 3 home games could easily have been construed to overlap by the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Absolutely ridiculous telling Galway fans to make a long journey to Wexford when the evenings are still dark in February considering how long it takes to go back and forth between each area, why not give Kilkenny the floodlights match and schedule our game for a Sunday afternoon instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think that's a typo there's hurling the weekend of Feb 11/12.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Cork at home on the 12th. No double headers so. It could be said that it's just a case of no overlapping home fixtures, but Dublin have conveniently managed to get a double header in, at the national stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

No I didn't say that just mean to say if they're in our group why don't they play the saturday night game instead of us.

Forgot we're in a separate group to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I see Jerome Henry is the referee for the connacht club football final. Serge Blatter would blush with embarrassment , the connacht council are some outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭cosatron

Speaking of referees, Mcdonagh had a shocker yesterday. Very frustrating for both teams. Mcmanus was continuously fouled and no free got.

Whistle/rulebook left at home. Was talking to a Thomas's player yesterday and he said it was one of the most frustrating games he ever played in and they won!! Strange appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Interesting that Shefflin considers the year just gone as 'average'. Good to see really. They didn't win anything. I watched back the semi final against Limerick and whilst Limerick weren't a 100% Galway were very good for large parts. The big problem was failing to Kick on after going a point up after the goal. They waited and waited and Limerick came back. To beat Limerick in Croke Park means really building a lead from a ways out. If its tight going into the last 10mins then Limerick have built up such a wealth of experience that they are almost impossible to catch. If its not Byrnes taking a Johnny Sexton amount of time over a free then it's Gillane chatting with the linesman ..They make you pay when their on top.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

You can't say he did the wrong thing, but if Conor Whelan took a chance in crossing the ball (perhaps blindly) when he took his equalising point late in the match, Brian Concannon and Cathal Mannion were both lurking and it could have a been a key goal at that stage. Cillian McDaid missed John Daly free inside him too when he kicked a late wide in the football final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought this thread would appreciate this from a GAA book - titled ‘The History of the GAA in 100 objects’ By Siobhan Doyle.

Back in 1998 when Padraig Joyce scored a Goal v Kildare in the football final. A publican named Colie K. punched the ceiling when he jumped celebrating. Instead of fixing it he framed it.

I thought it was gas. I never heard that one.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Nice team named for Friday. Good mix of experience, youth and some older heads returning.

• Advertisement

Good win. Anyone here attend?

Ya Dome is some setup. Hard to read a lot into it as Leitrim were so poor. Daniel Flaherty from Salthill was very good. Johnny McGrath has bulked up and was vert tenacious in the tackle. Fitzgerald was good at full back on probably Leitrims best player.

Maher was the pick of the new players for me. Up and down the pitch all night long industrious on the ball breaking tackles going forward.

Ian Burke very sharp and Rob Finnerty was class but they had a lot of room.

Power in goal was a surprise. Made a nice one on one save but was slow to get set up for restarts and a few wayward kicks. O Malley I'm goals was very sharp when he replaced him but Leitrim had given up the ghost at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Power in goal I see, Conor Gleeson unavailable because he was in action for Dummore today he shipped 4 goals btw

I hope Faherty is fit for the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭testtech05

Saying he shipped 4 goals doesn't exactly tell the tale of the game. Did you see it?

I didn't think there was one goal he was at fault for it was more down to very poor defending for most of them for me.

Having said that we still do have an issue for the no1 jersey in the county and someone needs to step up and claim it.

Flaherty isn’t even in with the panel . Supposedly of his own accord .Tadgh o malley from micheals Will probaly get a decent run this season .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway selection for Saturday v Mayo. Comer,John Daly return and should feature off the bench.

1. Bernard Power (CorofinGAA)

2. Cathal Sweeney (Salthill Knocknacarra GAA Club)

3. Seán Fitzgerald (Bearna)

4. James Foley (Mountbellew Moylough GAA Club)

5. Dylan McHugh (Corofin)

6. Billy Mannion (Mountbellew/Moylough)

7. Daniel O’Flaherty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

8. John Maher (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

9. Matthew Barrett (Mountbellew/Moylough)

10. Dylan Canney (Corofin)

11. Matthew Tierney - Capt (Oughterard)

12. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)

13. Ian Burke (Corofin)

14. Robert Finnerty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

15. Barry McHugh (Mountbellew/Moylough)

Subs

16. Tadhg O’Malley (St Michaels GAA Club)

17. Jack Kirrane (Milltown GAA)

18. Eoghan Kelly (Cumann Peile Mhaigh Cuilinn)

19. Paul Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)

20. James McLaughlin (Maigh Cuilinn)

21. Evan Murphy (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

22. Tomo Culhane (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

23. Damien Comer (Annaghdown)

24. Brian Mannion (Tuam Stars)

25. Nathan Grainger (Claregalway GAA)

26. John Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)

Peter Cooke being back is the single best piece of news since Cian O'Neill was announced as a coach. Excellent player coming off a superb club campaign at a position of dire need.

It really helps cover a few holes now after the losses of Molloy and Silke (hopefully be back). Have long thought McDaids best eventual position might be as a driving wing back, albiet be hard to move him after being nominated bfor POTY further forward. Potentially Conroy could spend periods in the forwards if being overran in midfield and the likes of Heaney can funnel back.

Our keeper situation doesn't look much better than last year so another ball winner from restarts should be of great help at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

We were well beaten around the middle from kickouts I thought...thought Maher was OK though, reminded me a bit of O Domhnaill, you'd wonder why Tierney was left on the whole game, 3 games in 8 days like, Power was fair to middlin in goal, his kickouts mostly found their target when he didn't go long, I just think there's something missing with him, Culhane mad for road looking well, heaney scored a few great points, bit of a leader now Cian spent a long time talking to him at the start of the second half

Thanks for the run down. Missed the match and was only following on what's the scór. Bit of yo-yo type of game.

Wonder will the team change much more before Castlebar? Nearly no harm having the extra week off, but would still have been nice to win!

• Advertisement

It'll change a fair bit I'd say. All the backs were very loose. Billy Mannion perhaps looked the most likely to break onto the team for the league of the newcomers but he was caught badly for a mayo goal. Because we're short a few, he may still be included, or perhaps Sean Fitzgerald. You'll probably see McGrath back in at corner back. O'Flaherty at wing back has shown very well for his age but there's no way he'll be pitched into a D1 game away to Mayo at this stage

Maher might keep his place at midfield but i wouldn't go stronger than that. Of the forwards, id suspect one of Ian Burke or Tomo will start, and otherwise will look a lot like last year.

I'd expect John Daly, McDaid, Conroy, Sean Kelly and Comer all to come back in, possibly joined by one of the other Kelly brothers, possibly Cooke also. Then it'd depend on the availability of Patrick Kelly (not sure his story) and Jack Glynns injury otherwise.

Advertisement