Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie O Sullivan

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

He seemed to have an extra level when he really needed it during the nitty gritty frames and then relaxed when he was in the home straight.

I think playing in the empty arena is really suiting him, did he make that ref change his mind about the free ball situation there in the last frame? I was only half paying attention. Jays, that ref is after aging a lot.

It was bizarre, he took one red out of the pocket and lined it up, then a second one, then said not a free ball, ronnie crouched and looked down the line of the shot, then jan said, eh let me check from other end of table, and then said, yes, free ball and ronnie seemed a bit p!ssed off with him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It was bizarre, he took one red out of the pocket and lined it up, then a second one, then said not a free ball, ronnie crouched and looked down the line of the shot, then jan said, eh let me check from other end of table, and then said, yes, free ball and ronnie seemed a bit p!ssed off with him

That's what I thought I saw alright, can't be easy for a ref in that situation I suppose especially after the sportsmanship Williams displayed by calling a foul on himself shortly beforehand.

All things considered I'd say Ronnie was right though, nobody has ever had an eye for a ball like he has.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

He looked like he was happy with the original call alright. Probably didn't want the free ball so soon after Williams show of sportsmanship by calling his own foul just before.

He looked like he was happy with the original call alright. Probably didn't want the free ball so soon after Williams show of sportsmanship by calling his own foul just before.

100%, i said the exact same thing at the time. He looked seriously annoyed at the ref. Mark is a proper gent also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Offended by the interview? I mean, there are so many examples of trashtalking in sports. It's an arena of competitiveness if anything a true sportsman would galvanise themselves and use Ronnie' speech as motivation.

In essence, it should be seen as him calling out the younger generation. Ronnie owes nothing as a competitor, all of a sudden people are saying he's a spokesperson for the sport? Ronnie O'Sullivan has been nothing but blunt throughout his career, soft touches would only take offence ovet the interview. It's up to the younger generation to lead themselves and more importantly, surpass the previous generation.

Do you think any top sportsman who's worth his salt cares what his competition thinks of him? No, they just use at as fuel as Ronnie's contemporaties should be. He's basically saying "I'm the bar, I know I am the best, I don't need to sugar coat and what are you gonna do about it?"

Never had a problem with s**t talking in any sport. It's a realm where performance only matters, not your f*****g feelings. If you don't have the mental fortitude for that, than tough, that's what it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Offended by the interview? I mean, there are so many examples of trashtalking in sports. It's an arena of competitiveness if anything a true sportsman would galvanise themselves and use Ronnie' speech as motivation.

In essence, it should be seen as him calling out the younger generation. Ronnie owes nothing as a competitor, all of a sudden people are saying he's a spokesperson for the sport? Ronnie O'Sullivan has been nothing but blunt throughout his career, soft touches would only take offence ovet the interview. It's up to the younger generation to lead themselves and more importantly, surpass the previous generation.

Do you think any top sportsman who's worth his salt cares what his competition thinks of him? No, they just use at as fuel as Ronnie's contemporaties should be. He's basically saying "I'm the bar, I know I am the best, I don't need to sugar coat and what are you gonna do about it?"

Never had a problem with s**t talking in any sport. It's a realm where performance only matters, not your f*****g feelings. If you don't have the mental fortitude for that, than tough, that's what it takes.

Nobody has been "offended" by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Rothko wrote: »
    Nobody has been "offended" by it.

Nobody here is offended by it but there are plenty of people exclaiming mock offence on TV. Ken Doherty being front and centre of it.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Nobody here is offended by it but there are plenty of people exclaiming mock offence on TV. Ken Doherty being front and centre of it.

I like Ken, i nearly beat him in a flyer wit a +40 handicap start but he sounded like a <<snip>> with his comments

I like Ken, i nearly beat him in a flyer wit a +40 handicap start but he sounded like a <<snip>> with his comments

Jaysus thats some going. Would have been a great scalp. I think '<<snip>>' might be a bit too far, but definitely came across a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hereah Ken is only trying his best to be an ambassador for the sport and portray a good image and he can't be blamed for that.

Some of the commentary in the other afternoon game yesterday was cringey in all fairness, the match itself sleep inducing and the commentators are walking on egg shells trying not only to not offend the skill levels of players after bad shots but trying to make the match sound a lot more exciting than it is.

I have great time for Ken, he's a proper gentleman in real life and never got carried away with himself at the height of his success.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Hereah Ken is only trying his best to be an ambassador for the sport and portray a good image and he can't be blamed for that.

Some of the commentary in the other afternoon game yesterday was cringey in all fairness, the match itself sleep inducing and the commentators are walking on egg shells trying not only to not offend the skill levels of players after bad shots but trying to make the match sound a lot more exciting than it is.

I have great time for Ken, he's a proper gentleman in real life and never got carried away with himself at the height of his success.

Feargal is another lovely chap. He actually practises with Murphy who's wife is from Lucan i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Anyone ever play Eamon Dunphy's son, he's a great player or at least was 10 or 15 years ago when i played him,
    should of been a pro

Anyone ever play Eamon Dunphy's son, he's a great player or at least was 10 or 15 years ago when i played him,
    should of been a pro

Did he play out of Jason's?

Did he play out of Jason's?

I'm not sure i came across him twice, once playing for my golf club snooker team, and the other time up in spawell when they used to do the weekly competitions years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

should of been a pro

I think you mean nephew, went to England with a truckload of other irish lads to try his luck in the pro game for a few years in the 90s. Decent player but there were a few around at the time.

I think you mean nephew, went to England with a truckload of other irish lads to try his luck in the pro game for a few years in the 90s. Decent player but there were a few around at the time.

you could be right a peter ebdon type looks wise ?

you could be right a peter ebdon type looks wise ?

No, i could well be wrong!! I had nephew in my head but it could actually be son. I did see Tim play a few times back in the day but no idea what he looks like nowadays. Those days anyone could literally turn pro, you just paid a fee and turned up in Blackpool and spent the summer playing qualifiers. Thats where ronnie himself started out.

yes different days sure i played three or four times a week back then,
    we used to play in rathfarnham snooker hall alot, jesus the stories of that place !!

Completely agree. Ken is a gentleman.

we used to play in rathfarnham snooker hall alot, jesus the stories of that place !!

I was lucky, grew up near a club which was community based and which charged 50p per frame - no time limit but you'd get roasted for any ebdon style shenanigans - and loser paid. I ended up paying a lot but it was still cheap. Snooker as a commercial enterprise just doesnt seem viable anymore, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Used to play there myself. Two stories stand out.

1. A proper fight involving two lads, running around and across tables, punching each other, wrestling on the floor, picking up balls off tables and chucking them across the hall. Both kicked out and arrested.

2. 5 oul fellas, regulars. One lad collapsed on the floor, semi conscious when the ambulance arrived. He was put in the ambulance and taken away and the remaining lads racked the balls up for another frame!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Young guy from around kells in meath was a promising talent around the mid to late nineties

Name escapes me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Completely agree. Ken is a gentleman.

he had perhaps the best all round game of any player for about five or six year's

Temperament of a Buddhist monk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    he had perhaps the best all round game of any player for about five or six year's

John Higgins would have been the best in that time IMO

Nearly threw the remote at the telly when he missed that black for the 147 break for the honda sports car (nearly sure it was the black but could have been pink).

Young guy from around kells in meath was a promising talent around the mid to late nineties

Name escapes me ?

Possibly Colm Gilcreest? Think he was from around those parts, not certain.

One of the worst things i have seen in a snooker interview (and for the life of me i cant remember who said it but was one of the players at the time when asked about stephen hendry) and he replied 'don't mind him, his face comes with free garlic bread.' Terrible but as a young teen I thought it was hilarious.

Forgotten how good ken was sometimes i think. For a decade he was just on the cusp of the very top bracket and that bracket was Ronnie, MJW, Higgins, Hendry at or close to their peak with Davis still a force and a host of other tough matchplayers kicking at their heels. From around 96/97 to 04/05 is probably the games golden age in terms of competitiveness imo and ken was there in the thick of it. 2003 would have been the most epic world title ever won but it just got away from him. Dont know if he ever truly recovered from it.

The Nal wrote: »
    Used to play there myself. Two stories stand out.

1. A proper fight involving two lads, running around and across tables, punching each other, wrestling on the floor, picking up balls off tables and chucking them across the hall. Both kicked out and arrested.

2. 5 oul fellas, regulars. One lad collapsed on the floor, semi conscious when the ambulance arrived. He was put in the ambulance and taken away and the remaining lads racked the balls up for another frame!

haha and do you remember the clouds of hash and grass smoke in the place !!
    the guy at the desk was nicknamed as mole on the arm locally !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Why exactly do you think its 'mock offence?'

Ken clearly loves the game, gives an honest assessment of what he sees, and is an absolute gentleman. Is that inconceivable that he could have been genuinely p!ssed off at what were really ignorant comments by Ronnie?

Advertisement