Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie O Sullivan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Why exactly do you think its 'mock offence?'

Ken clearly loves the game, gives an honest assessment of what he sees, and is an absolute gentleman. Is that inconceivable that he could have been genuinely p!ssed off at what were really ignorant comments by Ronnie?

Maybe the appropriate word isn't mock offence. I just didn't think it should have been given the oxygen that it has. Plenty of other things to be offended about in snooker rather than Ronnie running his mouth off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

joeguevara wrote: »
    Maybe the appropriate word isn't mock offence. I just didn't think it should have been given the oxygen that it has. Plenty of other things to be offended about in snooker rather than Ronnie running his mouth off.

Well like everything these days, there are some who are going to go over the top with their reactions to it, but I wouldn't put Ken in that bracket. I've seen it myself with friends who will take every opportunity to stick the boot into Ronnie. But as the most high profile player by a million miles in a sport short on lets say, characters, a controversial statement like that is gonna get a lot of responses.

Now lets just hope he goes out and wins the thing, its about time he added another World to his collection. Selby is a pain in the hole to play against though

Well like everything these days, there are some who are going to go over the top with their reactions to it, but I wouldn't put Ken in that bracket. I've seen it myself with friends who will take every opportunity to stick the boot into Ronnie. But as the most high profile player by a million miles in a sport short on lets say, characters, a controversial statement like that is gonna get a lot of responses.

Now lets just hope he goes out and wins the thing, its about time he added another World to his collection. Selby is a pain in the hole to play against though

I completely agree. Absolutely love Ken. Gentleman of the highest order. Also the episode of anonymous that he was in was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

Funnily enough the only people I get the impression who are offended and actually upset are the people who are offended and upset about people saying they felt Ronnie's comments were disrespectful. The Ronnie fan boys as it were.

I think Ronnie is great, however I also thought his comments were disrespectful. That's doesn't mean I was offended by them though.

Augme wrote: »
    Funnily enough the only people I get the impression who are offended and actually upset are the people who are offended and upset about people saying they felt Ronnie's comments were disrespectful. The Ronnie fan boys as it were.

I think Ronnie is great, however I also thought his comments were disrespectful. That's doesn't mean I was offended by them though.

I think this sums it up very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

whats peoples highest breaks from when they were playing? Mine was 31 so there was no danger of me ever hitting the pro circuit.

Anyone here ever come near to a century break? Saw a guy do one in that snooker club near the bridge in Celbridge years back, cant remember the name of the club. I might be wrong here but I could have sworn there was a certificate on the walls of that club saying someone had done a 147. Was only ever in it a couple of times so not sure but it was definitely a certificate with some score above 100 anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Muahahaha wrote: »
    whats peoples highest breaks from when they were playing? Mine was 31 so there was no danger of me ever hitting the pro circuit.

Anyone here ever come near to a century break? Saw a guy do one in that snooker club near the bridge in Celbridge years back, cant remember the name of the club. I might be wrong here but I could have sworn there was a certificate on the walls of that club saying someone had done a 147. Was only ever in it a couple of times so not sure but it was definitely a certificate with some score above 100 anyway.

One 80 odd and a few 70's and 60's. One of the lads on Belgards Div 1 team missed a black for a 147.

Celbridge had some fine players so you may be right on that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Augme wrote: »

Exactly. Just because someone is unhappy or complains about something doesn't mean that they're "offended". A lot of people don't seem to be able to grasp that concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Possibly Colm Gilcreest? Think he was from around those parts, not certain.

Presume he gave it up ?, haven't heard much about him in years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

John Higgins would have been the best in that time IMO

Higgins was certainly a superior player but Doherty was good enough to win two World titles, he reached three finals, he was a tad lazy - too laid back, when he was up for it ,his all round game was superbly balanced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Presume he gave it up ?, haven't heard much about him in years

Still knocking around on the amateur circuit as of fairly recently anyway. Not sure what club he is now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Higgins was certainly a superior player but Doherty was good enough to win two World titles, he reached three finals, he was a tad lazy - too laid back, when he was up for it ,his all round game was superbly balanced

Agree but more laid back than lazy. Maybe not as ruthless as the likes of a higgins or a hendry, but definitely not lazy i would say. Guys back then mostly worked their asses off in practice, I'm not sure their peers today are so routinely diligent or battle hardened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

68 is mine. Dont play so much now. Would like to install a home table at some stage and see what i could get.
    Problem is I start to take the wrong shot as i near my existing highest all out of fear of missing and then quickly get into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

haha and do you remember the clouds of hash and grass smoke in the place !!
    the guy at the desk was nicknamed as mole on the arm locally !!!

Ha yeah I do. I actually bought my cue from him in the early 00s. Still have it. Left my old cue behind (really really stupidly), went back 20 mins later and it was gone. :mad:

Mine would be somewhat similar. My cousin was from Leixlip and used to take me to Celbridge when I was a kid. Growing up in Tipp, I used to play as a kid to young teenager in Alfie Clarkes snooker hall. Also, my dad was a member of the golf club and he used to leave me play on the snooker table there while he played 18. Our neighbour also had a full sized table.

But I really grew up on playing pool. In our pub at one stage we had anywhere from 5-10 tables and were one of the first pubs ever to have all black clothes and one table was UV (regularly had the balls stolen). I refused to allow red/yellows on the table, had to be spots and stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

My highest break was 60 odd, but that was a once off, back when I played a good bit of snooker. I could fairly consistently get breaks of 25-35 though, which was good enough to beat most of the lads I used to play

Loved Ronnies analogy 'it was like going into the US open with only a 3 iron in my bag'. Although winning the 1/4s it was error strewn albeit with some hefty breaks. Selby on the other hand has been grinding it out but hasn't had a century break all tournament as far as Im aware. What do people think of how it will go?

Mine would be somewhat similar. My cousin was from Leixlip and used to take me to Celbridge when I was a kid. Growing up in Tipp, I used to play as a kid to young teenager in Alfie Clarkes snooker hall. Also, my dad was a member of the golf club and he used to leave me play on the snooker table there while he played 18. Our neighbour also had a full sized table.

But I really grew up on playing pool. In our pub at one stage we had anywhere from 5-10 tables and were one of the first pubs ever to have all black clothes and one table was UV (regularly had the balls stolen). I refused to allow red/yellows on the table, had to be spots and stripes.

Why don't you like reds and yellows?

Rothko wrote: »
    Why don't you like reds and yellows?

I really dont know. I always loved spots and stripes and probably what I saw on TV as a young lad watching pool films. We had a pool table in the house when i was young and it was reds and yellows and I always wanted spots and stripes.

I really dont know. I always loved spots and stripes and probably what I saw on TV as a young lad watching pool films. We had a pool table in the house when i was young and it was reds and yellows and I always wanted spots and stripes.

Ah, ok. I have to say I've always felt the opposite :P

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    Ah, ok. I have to say I've always felt the opposite :P

The UV pool,tables and balls were unbelievable. Interestingly the black was bright white with a large black spot. It is by far the favourite set of pool balls I had. Unfortunately so did a lot of others and at a euro a game was a very cheap set of balls for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I like cake and 9 ball.

Go on the 9 balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

yeah Steve Davis was an absolute bore when he was in his prime. It wasnt until he started doing media stuff with BBC and the like that people realized he is actually a pretty sound guy.

He was in Barry Hearn's pocket though, true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One of the worst things i have seen in a snooker interview (and for the life of me i cant remember who said it but was one of the players at the time when asked about stephen hendry) and he replied 'don't mind him, his face comes with free garlic bread.' Terrible but as a young teen I thought it was hilarious.

Spitting Image had him potting a ball by squeezing a zit!

Whereabouts in Rathfarnham was the snooker club mentioned earlier?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Spitting Image had him potting a ball by squeezing a zit!

Whereabouts in Rathfarnham was the snooker club mentioned earlier?

Bo Diddleys in Rathfarnham Village. Beside what was Club Sarah and is now the daycare centre. Actually wasn't that great. Tables weren't as good as Jasons or Spawell. Or Potters.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

played a lot in Dublin in the 00s in breaks in drumcondra, most of the tables there were ok, and I still play regularly enough in tipp , Ronnie not as controversial as alex Higgins , the game has gone down a lot in terms of popularity and so many halls have closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I remember one of the old pros saying that if you want to make it then its best if you are from, or move to, a big city. It's easier to get more games against better opponents.

That's probably true of most games though.

DarTipp wrote: »
    played a lot in Dublin in the 00s in breaks in drumcondra, most of the tables there were ok, and I still play regularly enough in tipp , Ronnie not as controversial as alex Higgins , the game has gone down a lot in terms of popularity and so many halls have closed down

Up Tipp.

Definitely think that snooker has lost its popularity. Growing up in the 80s most of the kids and indeed adults would be glued to the crucible. Snooker players were A List celebrities. Watching them drink and smoke during matches. It actually seems that darts is more popular now than snooker.

Bill Werbeniuk was another one of my favourites. Stories of this flatulence are legendary. I remember reading an interview of his where he admitted that one of his tactics was to let rip just as he was finishing up a break and the smell would put off his opposing player coming to the table. He also split his trousers reaching for a shot when playing denis taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Stephen Hendry is comfortably the greatest player ever. Hendry turned the game into somewhat of a farce in the 90s, such was his domainance. The game was far more popular back then than it is now and he alone changed it forever from a tactical game to a heavy scoring game.

O'Sullivan is easily more talented and he's a great character. The ability to play almost as well left handed is frankly ridiculous. Natural talent gets overrated however, albeit understandable, as people love flair. Give me a born winner who maxed out his talent like Hendry over someone who had it easy in comparison as Ronnie did. Ronnie was always near the top but was never dominant

That's why snooker is where it is now. Hendry is good, but could you get a more boring person? Imagine a world snooker championship with 16 players like Hendry or 16 players like O'Sullivan? You might rather the Hendry one, but I guarantee the O'Sullivan one would draw more fans.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's why snooker is where it is now. Hendry is good, but could you get a more boring person? Imagine a world snooker championship with 16 players like Hendry or 16 players like O'Sullivan? You might rather the Hendry one, but I guarantee the O'Sullivan one would draw more fans.

But when Hendry was on top it was way more popular. I don't understand what you mean.

Advertisement