Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

donaghb wrote: »
    As the title says, I've looked several times on TARIC and cannot find this code. Its medical equipment for patient transfers, beds and the like.
    Any ideas??
    Cheer
    D

Coult it be here? From 9018 down

https://www.taricsupport.com/nomenclatuur/9000000000.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I purchased an item from wish for €3.65 but on the tracking it says it has gone through customs in ireland? Slightly concerned that i will be landed with a customs charge..anyone have any ideas?
    Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 00.01.03.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Shn99 wrote: »
    I purchased an item from wish for €3.65 but on the tracking it says it has gone through customs in ireland? Slightly concerned that i will be landed with a customs charge..anyone have any ideas?
    Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 00.01.03.png

Custom charges don't apply to an item of that value ,If your goods have:

a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT
    a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT
    an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.
    These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx#:~:text=If%20you%20buy%20goods%20from,Customs%20Duty&text=Countervailing%20Duty,-Added%20Tax%20(VAT).

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Probably a silly question, but if I order from the US through AddressPal I pay 26 euro for handling and shipping to An Post. Is this 26 euro included in the calculation of VAT?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Probably a silly question, but if I order from the US through AddressPal I pay 26 euro for handling and shipping to An Post. Is this 26 euro included in the calculation of VAT?

It should be. There is also a €10 fee for customs clearance.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    It should be. There is also a €10 fee for customs clearance.
    Thanks. I included the 10 clearance fee into the 26 euro in my question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks. I included the 10 clearance fee into the 26 euro in my question.

Then its just the €16.99

Then its just the €16.99
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm lost with that calc at the beginning of the thread. Does anyone know if there is duty and how much vat would be payable on an electric projection screen shipped from alibaba in China that will cost €1251 (that price includes €396 for shipping via DHL Express)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm lost with that calc at the beginning of the thread. Does anyone know if there is duty and how much vat would be payable on an electric projection screen shipped from alibaba in China that will cost €1251 (that price includes €396 for shipping via DHL Express)

46.29 - Duty should be 3.7% of €1251
    298.37 - VAT 23% (€1251 + 46.29)
    344.66 *

* (+ DHL Admin: € 14.50 if not included in shipping cost)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Hi guys, question regarding duty & customs on an item. My cousin has sent me a Golf Club (Putter) from an obscure US brand as a wedding gift.

The item has a relatively high retail value approx $700 but would not be easy to find a price for online. That price actually includes some extra pieces which aren't included in this package but I may be liable for upon delivery.

I am a little unsure if this qualifies for any exemptions on import at 2nd reduced rate and/or because it is a gift. Clearly not from a retailer.

Additionally not quite sure how import might be calculated on a golf club that a price cannot be found for and includes no invoice.

Any insights you might share on the approximate fees I may be liable for would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hi guys, question regarding duty & customs on an item. My cousin has sent me a Golf Club (Putter) from an obscure US brand as a wedding gift.

The item has a relatively high retail value approx $700 but would not be easy to find a price for online. That price actually includes some extra pieces which aren't included in this package but I may be liable for upon delivery.

I am a little unsure if this qualifies for any exemptions on import at 2nd reduced rate and/or because it is a gift. Clearly not from a retailer.

Additionally not quite sure how import might be calculated on a golf club that a price cannot be found for and includes no invoice.

Any insights you might share on the approximate fees I may be liable for would be very helpful.

Thanks

Look up the first post in this thread. It won't qualify as a gift, and they will look up the value of the items on line. Look up the taric or tariff code and it will give you the duty amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Look up the first post in this thread. It won't qualify as a gift, and they will look up the value of the items on line. Look up the taric or tariff code and it will give you the duty amount.

Thanks for the response. I read the initial post but knew that prior to asking the question.

My question relates more to the relatively esoteric nature of the brand. Their only presence is quite minimal so coming to a valuation will be difficult.

In light of this, I was curious as to how they might estimate its value given they may not find a price and I cannot provide an invoice.

I appreciate your response, thanks for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thanks for the response. I read the initial post but knew that prior to asking the question.

My question relates more to the relatively esoteric nature of the brand. Their only presence is quite minimal so coming to a valuation will be difficult.

In light of this, I was curious as to how they might estimate its value given they may not find a price and I cannot provide an invoice.

I appreciate your response, thanks for taking the time.

if they have difficulty coming to a valuation and you cannot provide an invoice then they will make up a value using their best judgement. that value may be higher than you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bought an album earlier from DeepDiscount

Was $19 + $7.98 shipping so $26.98 / under €23 all in.

Surely unlikely they'll collect on that, right?

Basq wrote: »
    Bought an album earlier from DeepDiscount

Was $19 + $7.98 shipping so $26.98 / under €23 all in.

Surely unlikely they'll collect on that, right?
    They shouldn't. I think €26.05 is the absolute cap after negligible amounts is included.

They will not collect vat on anything up to €6.
    The vat on that would be roughly €5.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Suckit wrote: »
    They shouldn't. I think €26.05 is the absolute cap after negligible amounts is included.

They will not collect vat on anything up to €6.
    The vat on that would be roughly €5.25.

Doubt it will be caught anyway. Every item I've bought from Deep Discount has been reshipped via Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Suckit wrote: »

That's not what I ordered already and was merely using it as an example, but yes you are right, amazon.co.uk would make much more sense for that particular product.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    That's not what I ordered already and was merely using it as an example, but yes you are right, amazon.co.uk would make much more sense for that particular product.
    Yeah, sorry I was going to edit and post the duty just in case that was all you needed, and not the product.
    I then got sidetracked.
    I think amazon cover it all (top right). It seems that they are not using they new (temporary) vat rates since the beginning of september but are including duty I think.
    I did try to look it up, but as you mentioned, that site is a pita. It is somewhere around 8500 -8700 I think. Anyway, amazon reckon this would be the final cost.

swSPK13.png

Pain or not, you will need to find the correct tariff code, because there may be a big difference in duty rates. Whoever does the customs clearance, if you don't use Amazon, will have to go look for it as well. They may come up with something completely different. The supplier may be able to tell you the code

This fool can't see how it can be anything other than 9030 40 ... with 'spectrum analyser' & exclusively 'telecommunications' both on the bingo card

xMV2Deb.png

IF the code is correct* US as a third country should mean 0% duty same (currently) as UK

The problem with this, is that Suckit's Amazon example is over $10 more than the 23% VAT on price plus shipping ... unless Estimated Import Fee Deposit includes a handling charge?

* = Disclaimer: treat as the idle speculations of a delusional imbecile

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there is always a handling fee for processing the customs charges.

Looks like the abolition of the €22 (ie. €26.06) VAT exemption on imports from outside the EU is coming into force from 1 July next.
    Every order will be taxed and presumably subject to An Post €10 admin charge:

huSFqSv.png

revenue.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

There goes the €2.99 value packages from banggood..

:-(

styron wrote: »
    The problem with this, is that Suckit's Amazon example is over $10 more than the 23% VAT on price plus shipping ... unless Estimated Import Fee Deposit includes a handling charge?

* = Disclaimer: treat as the idle speculations of a delusional imbecile
    The VAT is now 21% temporarily. So it is higher. :eek: :)

there is always a handling fee for processing the customs charges.
    I am not sure on this....
    But, IIRC when you pay the VAT up front on amazon then there is no handling charge.

I had noticed that amazon estimated fees deposit seemed high, but I didn't bother to try and calculate it was after 1am. I also didn't bother looking too hard on the TARIC page as the OP had said it was a different item.
    But amazon support does say that if you notice discrepancies in their fees/calculated vat etc., that they will refund the difference.
    I am not sure if they have changed any of the amazon's vat to 21% for Ireland, but i idn't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Looks like the abolition of the €22 (ie. €26.06) VAT exemption on imports from outside the EU is coming into force from 1 July next.

huSFqSv.png

revenue.ie

If this is the case then AliExpress is being regulated out of the country. Pretty ****. I'll pay the tax but the clearance is a rip off. They arent processing two packages per operator per hour (€20 hourly would be plenty for a box ticking job), they're probably doing an order of magnitude more. Creaming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

ED E wrote: »
    If this is the case then AliExpress is being regulated out of the country. Pretty ****. I'll pay the tax but the clearance is a rip off. They arent processing two packages per operator per hour (€20 hourly would be plenty for a box ticking job), they're probably doing an order of magnitude more. Creaming it.

Customs clearance is more than a box ticking job..

And you are entitled to file the entry or nominate your own customs broker if you so wish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I doubt they will all 100% be collected though. If anything I hoped that 6euro limit would increase at some stage.

Are they reallly going to do a load of paperwork to collect say 10cent in VAT, I know an post get a tenner but I imagine revenue would have higher admin costs than the 10cent they get.

If it happens elsewhere the Chinese sites will get more of those EU warehouses going.

Advertisement