Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

FedEx will examine the commercial invoice which should be in a pouch on the outside of the package. Assuming that carries the info you've mentioned above, you'll be charged duty on the total you paid, then VAT on the duty-paid figure.

The amount of duty depends upon the commodity code mentioned on the invoice - if none is included Customs will guess. Well, FedEx's clearing agents will handle it, not Customs themselves.

Its always useful to spend a little time to find the correct commodity code for the goods and tell the sender to put this on the commercial invoice. For example, electronic capacitors are 8532300000.

This page explains it:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thank you, very helpful!

The code you gave covers $19 of my order anyways :P

Do you have any advise on how to find the other codes? I've ended up on this page, but it doesn't seem to have a way of looking anything up

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Thank you, very helpful!

The code you gave covers $19 of my order anyways :P

Do you have any advise on how to find the other codes? I've ended up on this page, but it doesn't seem to have a way of looking anything up

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

Click on Browse the Nomenclature. Be prepared for a long walk!

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en&Expand=true&SimDate=20200128

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I just made an order of electronic components from China this morning, and I have a question about the future VAT bill I will get

The goods were $310 , Shipping is valued at $127 , but it was free because I spent over $300 on goods. Summary of receipt below

501248.png

Am I liable for the tax on the shipping? The amount I paid was $310. The discount on shipping is a general offer and is not specific to me.

Goods are to be delivered by Fedex

Thanks

I would email revenue and get the correct answer, and then be prepared is case FedEx do it incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

whiterebel wrote: »
    I would email revenue and get the correct answer, and then be prepared is case FedEx do it incorrectly.

Discounts aren’t included when completing a customs entry.. It’s based on the landed value of the goods, not the price you apparently paid..

Otherwise you could get the seller to say you paid $1 for the goods to avoid duty and Vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Out of interest, has anyone got anything from the UK since Brexit. If so, did they charge you VAT etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rael wrote: »
    Out of interest, has anyone got anything from the UK since Brexit. If so, did they charge you VAT etc?

nothing has changed in relation to importing from the UK. Nothing will change until Jan 1st next year at the earliest but nobody has the foggiest if there will be changes and what those possible changes will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Quick query. I got something on Indiegogo worth about €550 which will be sent from Germany in the next few weeks. It says on the product page:

"VAT not included in price and will be determined by country on delivery. Backers are responsible for these costs (VAT, duties, taxes, etc) on delivery."

Obiously it won't be liable for customs duty as it's coming from an EU country, but it will be for VAT.

Am I likely to get away without paying this though? Or is it likely customs will catch it? It will be coming in a box about half the size of a shoe box.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

By the looks of it they will add VAT when you are completing the order.

I just made an order of electronic components from China this morning, and I have a question about the future VAT bill I will get

The goods were $310 , Shipping is valued at $127 , but it was free because I spent over $300 on goods. Summary of receipt below

501248.png

Am I liable for the tax on the shipping? The amount I paid was $310. The discount on shipping is a general offer and is not specific to me.

Goods are to be delivered by Fedex

Thanks

Goods received about 3/4 weeks ago, Fedex bill came today.

Unsurprisingly the amount they charged on VAT (~E90) seems to be based on Shipping as well. I did reach out to Revenue a few weeks ago and they did advise I should only be liable for what I paid. I've reached out to Fedex on this.

What was surprising is on top of the E15 administration fee (which I expected, although it is invoiced as "Advancement Fee") there is an "Additional line items" charge of E16 that I have no idea what that is, also querying that.

Discounts aren’t included when completing a customs entry.. It’s based on the landed value of the goods, not the price you apparently paid..

Otherwise you could get the seller to say you paid $1 for the goods to avoid duty and Vat

That's fine for an Apple Mac where you can walk into a shop and see the price of one, but I'm not sure where they are going to get reference prices for Electronic components and connectors, I can't buy them here. There isn't a reference, so it has to be based on the invoice amount.

Saying it doesn't apply to discounts because you get get the seller to say it was $1 doesn't make sense, it would be easier to just get them to change the entire invoice amount than make up a fake discount. I can also provide proof how much I paid if required.

• Advertisement

Goods received about 3/4 weeks ago, Fedex bill came today.

Unsurprisingly the amount they charged on VAT (~E90) seems to be based on Shipping as well. I did reach out to Revenue a few weeks ago and they did advise I should only be liable for what I paid. I've reached out to Fedex on this.

What was surprising is on top of the E15 administration fee (which I expected, although it is invoiced as "Advancement Fee") there is an "Additional line items" charge of E16 that I have no idea what that is, also querying that.

That's fine for an Apple Mac where you can walk into a shop and see the price of one, but I'm not sure where they are going to get reference prices for Electronic components and connectors, I can't buy them here. There isn't a reference, so it has to be based on the invoice amount.

Saying it doesn't apply to discounts because you get get the seller to say it was $1 doesn't make sense, it would be easier to just get them to change the entire invoice amount than make up a fake discount. I can also provide proof how much I paid if required.

They dont care how much you paid. you received a discount and have admitted as much so they will base the vat/duty based on the landed value of the goods.

They dont care how much you paid. you received a discount and have admitted as much so they will base the vat/duty based on the landed value of the goods.

Revenue disagrees with you

My email:

I made an order of electronics components to the value of $313. As the order was over $300, I qualified for free shipping. The invoice (attached) lists the Freight Cost as $127, but applies a discount of $129. The total I paid was $311.45

My question is, is the total price I paid the value of what the VAT would be applied on?

The relevant part of their response:
    Customs Duty is chargeable on the customs value of the goods, this is the Cost plus Insurance plus Freight (CIF) cost of your goods.

VAT is chargeable at the same rate as applies to the sale within Ireland of similar goods. The value of the goods for VAT purposes is their value for customs purposes increased by the amount of any duty or other tax (but not including VAT) payable and any other transport, handling or insurance costs between entry into the EU and delivery to their final destination. The standard rate of VAT is 23%. So to answer your specific question, yes VAT is applied to the total you paid plus the Customs Duty.

My email:

yeah i'm not sure that says what you think it says.

yeah i'm not sure that says what you think it says.

VAT is applied to the total you paid plus the Customs Duty.

How do you interpret that? Seems pretty clear to me

The Shipper has shown the freight amount on it, they should have shown zero. Customs are looking at it now, wondering who gives free shipping to almost 50% of the value of the material. Additional line items are other tariff codes for the different products. They might attract different rates of duty and must be separated on the customs entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I had a similar issue about 3 years ago. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing.
    I was lucky in in some ways that it was fedex, as I already had the goods.
    In the end I think I had to email the store I bought it from and as them to send me a new invoice for the final price paid. I also had to match it with a screenshot of my bank account at the same date/seller.
    My issue was free shipping internationally for all items over $150, which I got, but they had the price of the shipping (that they paid) on the outside of the parcel.
    I argued my case for almost three weeks.
    IIRC there was a question over who paid the shipping separately, but there was no way to prove it was me (which it wasn't).

I believe the VAT on items entering Ireland is the total price of the item (incl. shipping) that the buyer paid. But the courier companies will (sometimes correctly) ask questions first.
    Which is what seems to be happening in this instance. If you can prove the total that you paid is what you say it is, with new invoice and bank statement they will likely realise that.
    They most likely haven't looked too deep into your case as they get a lot of them, and a lot chancing their arms, along with a lot that are incorrectly worked out.

My email:

To me, that reads like they are just saying "Yes, you pay vat on the total price you paid to get the item(s) delivered to Ireland."
    But they are not reading/replying to your case individually about the price. They don't seem to be aware that you paid $311.45 but are getting charged vat for $438.45.
    I would ring instead of emailing, and stress that the price you paid in total, is $127 less than the price that they are charging vat on.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The Shipper has shown the freight amount on it, they should have shown zero. Customs are looking at it now, wondering who gives free shipping to almost 50% of the value of the material. Additional line items are other tariff codes for the different products. They might attract different rates of duty and must be separated on the customs entry.

There is a seperate line for Duty, 60c. I have no idea why they wouldn't give more detail on what the "Additional Line Items" is, it may as well be called "Random Extra charge". Like if its a fee for doing the Duty entry, "Duty fee calculation fee" or something might be a better name!

Kind of an aside, the offer ended up working in my favor quite a lot. I was buying cheap heavy things (connectors etc) while I guess normally people would be buying more expensive lighter things like components and ICs etc, that's how it ended up being such a large percentage.
    Suckit wrote: »
    To me, that reads like they are just saying "Yes, you pay vat on the total price you paid to get the item(s) delivered to Ireland."
    But they are not reading/replying to your case individually about the price. They don't seem to be aware that you paid $311.45 but are getting charged vat for $438.45.
    I would ring instead of emailing, and stress that the price you paid in total, is $127 less than the price that they are charging vat on.

I emailed them before I got my package even so Fedex had not sent me the bill yet. I did send the original Invoice to them though.

When you say ring though, is it Fedex or Revenue you are talking about?

Similar to your previous situation, I already have the goods which makes it a bit easier. I've no plans to drag it out any longer than it needs to, but there isn't much incentive for me to just cave and pay it unless it's clear that I'm in the wrong.

When you say ring though, is it Fedex or Revenue you are talking about?

Similar to your previous situation, I already have the goods which makes it a bit easier. I've no plans to drag it out any longer than it needs to, but there isn't much incentive for me to just cave and pay it unless it's clear that I'm in the wrong.
    Fedex, and tell them that you will forward them the correct invoice. The invoice with the $127 shipping included is not correct, as you did not pay that.
    It shouldn't take long once you can cut away all the crap and extra phonecalls I had to make. If I had done that at the start it would have been ammended then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Complete bollix invoice from DHL. Enjoy delivering it back to the middle east lads.

• Advertisement

Care to tell us what they have done, so it may be of use to someone in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Item was 100 USD all in. Used off ebay. Retail price new is 150-170USD. They valued it at 400USD, maybe, but charged VAT on 200USD but the invoice from them isnt even complete. "Value: " etc.

I'd give them some leeway if I got a particularly good deal and they could claim OMSV but really if anything the OMSV is less than I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Guys would love some help here working this out please. Ordered a phone for 670 euro and 9.27 delivery with DHL which is coming from gearbest in China. What would the expected today if charges including vat and customs be on this? Getting worried now may be very expensive!

irishchris wrote: »
    Guys would love some help here working this out please. Ordered a phone for 670 euro and 9.27 delivery with DHL which is coming from gearbest in China. What would the expected today if charges including vat and customs be on this? Getting worried now may be very expensive!
    If you ordered EU Priority, Gearbest have a way of avoiding customs (doubt that will be working for much longer when things start to recover).
    They will do everything in their power to avoid honouring the warranty... Be aware of that when deciding to pay the extra. There are plenty of people on these forums that won't use them (myself included).

https://www.calculatevat.net/
    If it does get stopped, expect to pay €156.23 + €15 DHL handling (€171.23) at the door. DHL may have dropped their handling fees to €12.50.

If you ordered EU Priority, Gearbest have a way of avoiding customs (doubt that will be working for much longer when things start to recover).
    They will do everything in their power to avoid honouring the warranty... Be aware of that when deciding to pay the extra. There are plenty of people on these forums that won't use them (myself included).

https://www.calculatevat.net/
    If it does get stopped, expect to pay €156.23 + €15 DHL handling (€171.23) at the door. DHL may have dropped their handling fees to €12.50.

Cheers for the info, I would prob attempt to cancel order now but would they honor the refund and how long I would be left waiting worries me.
    This is the shipping info. I picked the most expensive of the three options. Would this be EU priority?

Shipping Method
    HKDHLYD
    Estimated Shipping Time
    4-10 business days

Cheers for the info, I would prob attempt to cancel order now but would they honor the refund and how long I would be left waiting worries me.
    This is the shipping info. I picked the most expensive of the three options. Would this be EU priority?

Shipping Method
    HKDHLYD
    Estimated Shipping Time
    4-10 business days
    I haven't used them in over 4 years, but I am pretty sure that the priority shipping is called priority.
    DHL are less likely to avoid customs and far more likely to make sure you pay it, unless it is included in the price.
    Add to that, Gearbest almost always have codes going around to discoiunt the price, the main prices on the site are usually to make the discount look better or if there is a demand for the items.
    I would consider cancelling, if they refuse call your bank and refuse the item from DHL.
    Unless the price is saving a lot of money going this route.

I haven't used them in over 4 years, but I am pretty sure that the priority shipping is called priority.
    DHL are less likely to avoid customs and far more likely to make sure you pay it, unless it is included in the price.
    Add to that, Gearbest almost always have codes going around to discoiunt the price, the main prices on the site are usually to make the discount look better or if there is a demand for the items.
    I would consider cancelling, if they refuse call your bank and refuse the item from DHL.
    Unless the price is saving a lot of money going this route.

Contacted them on messenger today and they supposedly cancelled the order but yet still shows active. Said it can take up until two weeks to process the refund and longer to get back to bank. Joke of a company! Can see this being a struggle to get money back

Contacted them on messenger today and they supposedly cancelled the order but yet still shows active. Said it can take up until two weeks to process the refund and longer to get back to bank. Joke of a company! Can see this being a struggle to get money back
    I think the 2 weeks would be to cover themselves and would seriously hope to get it back sooner. But genuinely think you are better off not buying from them, especially if it's over €10.
    They are often the cheapest but peace of mind goes a long way when spending that much.

You may also find the phone on amazon for a similar price. Banggood are also very good with warranty I find, for a Chinese company (that don't legally have to adhere to it), but again, spending that much I might prefer to use a site that is bound by EU law.

I think the 2 weeks would be to cover themselves and would seriously hope to get it back sooner. But genuinely think you are better off not buying from them, especially if it's over €10.
    They are often the cheapest but peace of mind goes a long way when spending that much.

You may also find the phone on amazon for a similar price. Banggood are also very good with warranty I find, for a Chinese company (that don't legally have to adhere to it), but again, spending that much I might prefer to use a site that is bound by EU law.

Yes should I get the money refunded in time I have a pre-order of the mi 10 from Amazon Spain but need the refund before 20th of this month or lose out on the preorder bundle so need gearbest to hurry up. Cheers for advice on gearbest as thanks to that I chose to pursue asking them on delays and showed them for what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭donaghb

As the title says, I've looked several times on TARIC and cannot find this code. Its medical equipment for patient transfers, beds and the like.
    Any ideas??
    Cheer
    D

Advertisement