Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

First: The Cult yonks ago in The Point which was the Sonic Temple album. Electric was the first album I ever bought and it still rocks.

Best: NIN...the energy in there playing, sound & tightness is at another level, and I’ve seen lots.

Worst: Soundgarden in the RDS I think? Pretty sure it was there last date of their European or World tour, I could be mistaken which would make it worse still. They were probably knackered but I couldn’t give a f*ck as they were lifeless as a droopy c*ck. Matt Cameron was excellent full and of energy as usual but the rest sucked ass juice. Shepherd gave the fingers several times to the crowd, a mannequin would have more moves than Kim Thayil and Cornell’s voice was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

First: Inxs in the Point...'90ish.

Best: Nine Inch Nails ('93 in the SFX), Flaming Lips in Vicar St. or Faith No More (Sunstroke or Olympia...decisions...) or Frank Black and the Catholics as Vicar St. or any of the Pixies gigs.

Worst: Kings of Leon supporting Pixies - they just didn't want to be there or Soundgarden at Sunstroke - came on after White Zombie and flopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

humanji wrote: »
    The worst was Cat Power in, I think, Whelan's in Dublin. She had had some sort of fall the previous day and was a mix between having a concussion and being stoned. The hair was matted with blood, or so she kept saying. She played one song for about 3/4's of an hour, starting and stopping and trying to sort out the sound system. So we threw in the towel and left. Should have asked for our money back, but were so pissed off we didn't even think about it.

Think that might be my worst gig too, Bright Eyes in Whelans was also a contender.

Best i'll have to give a few can't make up my mind - Wilco in Whelans, Sigur Ros & Godspeed you Black Emperor in TBMC, Sufjan Stevens in Ambassador, Sugarcubes & Pixies in a small venue in Boston in '88 which was either my first gig or Fugazi in McGonagles (if you don't go counting Larks in the Park*)

*only remembered by fellow ancient folk, think i saw light a big fire playing in dun laoghaire or blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

id say

First: Pet Shop Boys in Brum NEC about 88 - odd, supprted by an orchestra, the whole crowd were bored and di mexican wave throughout.

Best: Rage against the Machine at Reading Festival 1996 - words cant express how good this was.

Worst: Cant really think of any specific, maybe Limp Bizkit the other year at RDS. Was only there to see QotSA and thought Limp Bizkit were just complete c0ck. Obv GnR 2010 gets a special mention, the gig itself was good-ish. You know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Best : Green Day at Marlay Park, absolutely nothing like it. Great energy, great crowds, all the hits you just can't get any better

First : Westlife at the Point, 2000

Worst : Barbarellas supporting Boyzone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

First: Frank Black & The Catholics - Vicar Street - 2001. Got to meet Frank Black outside as a nice little bonus

Best: Hard to pin down, but these are contenders
    Sigur Ros - The Ambassador - 2002. It was like a religious experience.
    Interpol at Oxegen 2005. Just remembered the moment they started to play everyone went mental.

Worst:
    Edit: just remembered Bob Dylan - Kilkenny - 2006. Heard that he can either be brilliant or awful, he was definitely the latter that night.
    These two are runners up:
    Possibly Interpol at The Olympia -2005. No crowd interaction whatsoever as I recall plus I was in a hoop that night.
    The Frames - Electric Picnic - 2006. Used to love them, but hadn't seen them in a while and they weren't doing it for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

karaokeman wrote: »
    Best : Green Day at Marlay Park, absolutely nothing like it. Great energy, great crowds, all the hits you just can't get any better

I'm friends with the 2 who got picked for Longview :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

First: Blur, RDS, 1995
    Worst: Probably Slane in 2002 - really enjoyed Ocean Colour Scene but Nickleback and Stereophonics really let the day down.
    Best: Bon Jovi with Matchbox20 supporting, RDS, in 2001.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

First:
    Michael Jackson, Lansdowne road, 25 july 1992
    Best 'big spectacular' gig ever. lookit this for an intro(go 18 seconds in)

Best gig ever;

Pearl jam or the frames..millions of times in millions of places

worst:

Muse. Overrated sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

First - Queen at the RDS Simmonscourt November 1979.

Worst - Queen at Slane 1986(Thats some admission as I'm a Queen fanatic.)

BEST - Too many highlights but Live Aid 1985 at Wembley, U2 Joshua Tree tour Croke Pk 1987, Paul McCartney December 2009 at the O2 and maybe as its very fresh in the mind but Elbow on 31/03 at the O2 was just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

First: David Bowie at Slane 1987

Best: AC/DC, Point, 1991

Worst: Guns N Roses, RDS, 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

ac/dc were awesome at punchestown in 2009. the verve at slane (98 or 99?) were really boring as was the U2 gig at crokepark in 2009 - saw them previously at lansdown, slane and croker and they were great but just found the last one so dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

First: 50 cent point 2005

Best: Oasis Slane 09...Snoop P Diddy Point 06... Coldplay live the o2

Worst: Kanye West in the park just after his mam died terrrible gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

First - Prince in Páirc Uí Chaoimh in 1990. He sold it out very quickly and the promoters added a second show which was subsequently cancelled as only 15,000 tickets were sold for the second one. The upshot was that they allowed people with tickets for the cancelled one to attend the first show - Páirc Uí Chaoimh was like sardines, well over 50,000 at that show - no such thing as health and safety back in those days. Savage show even though high winds had destroyed the backdrop to the stage.

Best - A three-way tie between Cornelius in Amsterdam in 2002, Rush in Birmingham in 2004 and The Residents at Roskilde in 1999. It's artists like these who put most to shame, in the studio and live on stage.

Worst - Wyclef Jean at Roskilde in 2001 :mad: - I wouldn't normally cross the road to see this gimp, but he was on the main stage on a very sunny afternoon so we decided to check him out. He came out stoned out of his bin, babbling away with all his 'one time' nonsense. Played House of Pain's Jump Around then asked the crowd "Is Germany number one!?" - met with a deafening silence from the Danish crowd. Asked it again and again, clueless as to why the crowd weren't reacting. Then his bass player leaned over and told him he was in Denmark, not Germany. The eejit then played Jump Around again, and left the stage. 30 minute set, if that. If he did that at Oxegen he wouldn't have left the festival alive.

Best gigs I ever saw in Ireland -
    David Bowie in the Olympia in 1997.
    Prince in The Academy (or HQ or whatever it was called back then) in 2002.
    Sparks at the Electric Picnic in 2005 or 2006. Hands down the best show of that festival imo - and still their only ever Irish show I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Sparks at the Electric Picnic in 2005 or 2006. Hands down the best show of that festival imo - and still their only ever Irish show I think.

Yeah, I'm sure that's their only Irish appearance. I didn't see them at Electric Picnic, but I saw them doing Propaganda as part of their series of one-album-a-night shows in London, which was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I asked Ron if there was any chance of them coming to Dublin later than year, to which he said that was the plan, but regrettably it didn't transpire. :(
    Nice to see someone else on here who like Sparks AND Rush. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Yeah, I'm sure that's their only Irish appearance. I didn't see them at Electric Picnic, but I saw them doing Propaganda as part of their series of one-album-a-night shows in London, which was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I asked Ron if there was any chance of them coming to Dublin later than year, to which he said that was the plan, but regrettably it didn't transpire. :(
    Nice to see someone else on here who like Sparks AND Rush. :D

I desperately wanted to see one of those Sparks gigs in London, but alas funds did not allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

First - Metallica, The Point 1992

Best - Hard to pick one, but Wilco in Vicar Street stands out from a few years back as an outstanding gig.

Worst - Hole 1999 - Courtney Love off her head, a pity....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I desperately wanted to see one of those Sparks gigs in London, but alas funds did not allow it.

I just went to the Propaganda gig, which is probably my favourite album of theirs, and it was phenomenal to see them playing those songs in such a tiny venue. Kimono My House sold out first (not surprisingly). Fortunately, the day of the Propaganda show was also the day Ron and Russell decided to do a signing session in Borders, just around the corner from the venue, presumably because most of those songs were regularly in their set anyway, so they didn't need to do too much last-minute rehearsing on the day. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

First: The Verve at slane, was an amaizng day, was only 15 at the time so whole thing was a big deal to me.

BEST: Tough one would either have to be Kasabian in Dublin castle perfect venue for a gig, or Arctic Monkeys in Malahide castle.

Worst: Between two, either bloc party in the marquee in phoenix parkm nothing to do with bloc party have seen them live before and they are good but the sound that night in the marquee was atrocious, the other one being The Polce in croke park was really looking forward to that one, got there there was no atmosphere in the crowd and the police looked like they just didnt give a **** up on stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

First- The Stunning in the Warwick 2000 (maybe 2001). Great craic.

Best- Pearl Jam 2006 The Point

Also U2 2005 Croke Park night 3 and Primal Scream at The Big Top/Galway Art's Festival 2009 were brilliant. Simple Minds 2006 also at The Arts Festival.

Worst- U2 Night 3 Croke Park in 2009. Muse The Point in 2006. And RHCP in Phoenix Park 2004 (Blown away by The Pixies and Groove Armada).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PaddyOisin

First: Thin Lizzy, National Stadium circa 1972, Eric Bell playing guitar
    Best: Bruce Springsteen at the RDS 2009
    Worst: Bob Dylan, Nowlan Park Kilkenny, 2006. Dear God! And this from a Dylan devotee.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

First:The Trip Is In(Kind of an indoors Trip To Tipp in The Point 1995)Foo Fighters,Manic Street Preachers,Afghan Whiggs and Inspiral Carpets amongst others i think. Really went to see the Foo's and they turned out to be crap on the night but got introduced to the Manics that night and was blown away by them and have been a huge fan of them live ever since.
    Best:Any of the 5 Pearl Jam gigs Ive been to and its hard to split those but im gonna go with Belfast last year coz i popped the question to my now fiance during "Black"(I know,I know!!)
    Worst:Ian Brown in either The Olympia/Vicar Street(not sure which) on Paddys Day in 2001 i think,he was more off his rocker than the whole crowd put together and constantly messed up the start of his songs while trying to lay the blame on his band

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭dirtypanties

1st:Oasis Parc Ui Chiomh-Cork-think it was 1995?

Worst:Dragonforce Ambassador Dublin 2007-not even any alcohol being sold ffs!

Best:Either Velvet revolver or NIN-too close to call-both amazing live.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DesLyons

First - Blink in the point years ago ..

Worst - Oxegen last year, had a blast but ****e weather

Best - Life last year

I not really into concerts , more into raves & festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Worst:Dragonforce Ambassador Dublin 2007-not even any alcohol being sold ffs!

ouch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Just remembered another worst: Arctic Monkeys in Malahide Castle. Whole crowd was pissed and in a nasty mood, people going to their first "rock" concert not understanding that people may occasionally bump into you and starting fights. Really bad, left after 30 mins due to boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

Bon Jovi was the best that and maybe bruce springsteen and paul mc cartney the worst...no contest Guns N Roses...NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

Bon Jovi was the best that and maybe bruce springsteen and paul mc cartney the worst...no contest Guns N Roses...NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First - Donington Monsters of Rock 1985 with ZZ TOP, Marillion, Bon Jovi, Metallica (wit Cliff :D:D), Ratt, Magnum.

Best - Top 3 really

Metallica at 100 Club in London 1987, Warm up for Donington, just awesome seeing them in a tiny tiny venue

Rammstein at Birmingham NEC about 6/7 years ago, right at the front, what an wesome show

Metallica - Donington 2006. They were just on fire, played Puppets in it's entirity, awesome show.

Worst - Been to hundreds of gigs and there's been quite a few that stand out as the worst. For me it's gotta be Pantera when they headlined The Dynamo Festival in Holland, think it was 99 or 2000, they were just awful, Phil was so fcukin hammered he was forgettin words, falling over etc.

Advertisement