Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

concerts... best/worst/first??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The Nal wrote: »
    That gig was sooo good.

Look at this for a setlist.

Good lord.

I remember two lads in front of me just looking at each other laughing in disbelief that they were hearing magical mystery tour played live :D:D

It was absolutely amazing, seemed like he didn't break a sweat for 2 and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

First - Oxegen 2005 (Kerbdog, Eagles of Death Metal, Kaiser Chiefs, Snoop Dogg, QOTSA, Bloc Party, Green Day, The Prodigy)

Best - Daft Punk @ Oxegen '07, Nine Inch Nails @ Oxegen '09, Watch the Throne (Kanye and Jay Z) @ 3 Arena '12, Beck @ EP '14, Jamie xx @ Forbidden Fruit '15, Radiohead @ Primavera '16

Worst - Kanye west @ Marley Park '14 - prick turned up with half a **** light show and a DJ, wore a mask and lashed through a very underwhelming set. Didnt help that the crowd were some of the nastiest individuals ive ever had the misfortune of sharing a venue with.
    Fatboy Slim @ Forbidden Fruit '15 - hes garbage. Always has been, always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭corm500

First: Meatloaf @ SFX 1984

Best: Rolling Stones @ Point 2002, Paul McCartney RDS 2003, Simon & Garfunkel @RDS 2003, Crosby & Nash @ Vicar Street 2002

Worst: Mary Margret O'Hara @ Point 2006. Came So Far For Beauty concert. She sang Hallelujah so badly that I wanted to rush the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

1st Thin Lizzy 1979

Best Roger Waters The Wall Aviva Stadium 2013

Worst Hall @ Oates 3 Arena 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

rednik wrote: »
    1st Thin Lizzy 1979

Best Roger Waters The Wall Aviva Stadium 2013

Worst Hall @ Oates 3 Arena 2017

That was the Black Rose tour, that would've been amazing, Gary Moore and Scott Gorham were great guitarists.

Edit: Feck forgot about Gary Moore on this, actually Gary Moore in 1984 at Glasgow Apollo was an amazing gig along with my Stooges experience at the 2007 EP. I think that was where the We Want Moore live album that followed was recorded.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

First : Huey Lewis and the news (with Melissa Etheridge) 1988 (first concert in the point)

best : Depeche Mode (Devotional Tour) 1993 / Bowie Sound and vision 1990 (both in the point)

worst : RHCP, Lansdowne Road (2002), awful self absorbed twats, just atrocious. New Order were support, seemed pished as farts, Barneys voice was dire but they really seemed to be having fun and were far more enjoyable.

runner up worst : Massive Attack, point, would have been mid 90s'ish, just crap, suspect they just didn't really know what they were at back then for large live shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

How about a few DJs amidst all these rock legends!

First: Goldie at Creamfields in 2001. I was 16. Never heard drum & bass before. Took a pill and absolutely let rip for the afternoon with my mates. We then walked 30km home in the early hours, drinking cans and properly opening up to each other for the first time in our lives. Lovely memories.

Best: Spank Rock at Garden Party circa 2004/2005. These guys were a hip hop/electronic group with only 1 partly successful album and a very dodgy follow up. I never like their recorded material but this gig was insane. House and techno with a rapper sitting casually atop a massive stack of speakers and laying down bar after bar of quality lyrics. A weird mix that shouldn't have worked as well as it did but it's one that's stayed with me.

Worst: Grandmaster Flash at the Cork Jazz Festival a few years back. An obnoxious ego-maniac playing terrible music to people that didn't give a crap about him. As bad as he was, the organisers were even worse for booking him.

Edit: just checked on Google maps and it was an 18km walk. It bloody felt like 30!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My first was Muse in Cork in 2001. Ash were on the bill as well. I think it was the Heineken Green Energy festival.

The best. In terms of just a sheer spectacle it would be Coldplay in Croke Park. In terms of an act I always wanted to see and was not a massive let down it would be Smashing Pumpkins at Wembley Arena in London.

The worst was Counting Crows in the 3 Arena.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

First - Evanescence 2011

Best - Maybe Mike Shinodas (Linkin Park) recent solo concerts or else Bullet For My Valentine on their Temper Temper tour.

Worst - Queens of the stone age probably just because I don't like the music

I am seeing Slipknot at Download next month so that would probably be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

First - Eels in the Olympia back in 2001. I was a big fan back in my teenage days. I remember feeling surprised about how thunderous the drums were in real life. I was a bit stunned at the whole experience, people turning up en-masse and knowing the words to songs; it was all very new.

Best - That one is hard to call. I've been to a lot of good ones through the years =

Rammstein in The O2 back in 2012. That was probably the absolute best. Crowd was totally excited and into it. The band played pretty much everything you'd expect from them and the stage show was absolutely fcking ridiculous. Eleven out of ten.

Honourable mentions - Ween in The Village in 2008. This one is pretty subjective, they are my favourite band, but it was great to see them in Ireland - they haven't toured in Europe since and probably never will again. They did all the usual: played for three hours, loads of stuff from all over their careers and all while Dean Ween was up on stage with two freshly plastered broken ankles.

Deftones Vicar Street 2017 - The first night of the two that they played. I hung back in the crowd on the fringe of the chaos up by the front of the stage, but that lasted about twenty seconds into the first song before I was compelled to throw myself into the madness. That was probably the most I've ever felt like part of a collective experience at a concert, and I was as sober as a judge. When they played the intro to My Own Summer and there's that second or two of calm before the song kicks in properly, I can still recall the electric energy in the crowd in that moment as everyone was just waiting for the cue to go absolutely bananas, probably my all time single moment from any gig.

Lordi in Monroes Tavern in Galway in 2016. This was even more ludicrous than Rammstein. The stage was absolutely not meant for a band rigged out in full costume with an average height of over seven feet. I remember Mr. Lordi saying "this is the smallest stage we have ever played" and I suspect his sincerity was total. But, fair play to them they gave it everything and played like they were in front of fifty thousand people. The standing area in front of the stage was extremely tight and it was just bedlam in there for about two hours. It was one of those gigs that didn't kick off until midnight as well, which always makes everything 20% - 30% more loopy in the crowd. The only thing missing was pyrotechnics, which they said that they had wanted to use but once they got to the venue they realised that the danger of setting the place on fire was too great.

Worst - Worst? I hate saying a gig was terrible because I try to look at the positives, but have been a few stinkers throughout the years.

AC/DC in Punchestown in '09 was a bit of a crap experience. I wouldn't say the band were terrible, even if there was a distinct feeling of just another day at the office about the performance at times. Just the whole day was a bit of a downer. It was tough getting there, rained incessantly for a few hours and the crowd was full of fcking ejits, who just about knew Thunderstruck if they knew any song at all. Getting out of the "venue" was chaotic and borderline dangerous: loads of crushes at barriers, security staff that didn't have a notion about what was going on; trying to find a bus out of there was pure Fall of Saigon stuff. Honestly - at the risk of sounding like one of those elitist picks going on about daytrippers - it put me off going to a big gig in a field ever again. Give me 100 people, all really into it, in a tiny venue any day of the week instead of a giant disorganised sht show.

I'll probably get flak for this but I was left distinctly underwhelmed by Aphex Twin at Forbidden Fruit in '17. The show must have been going on for about a half an hour before I realised that it had started and that what I thought was the abnormally long intro music was the actual gig proper - and a lot of the crowd around me were exactly the same way. I love Aphex Twin, he was the reason I went that day, and I appreciate how he was trying to do something different from the usual festival set but it didn't translate for me in that setting - even if the final twenty minutes were quite intense and a bit more like it IMO.

I went to see Wire downstairs at The Academy in '11 and I was left wondering why I'd bothered. They seemed intent on playing every song off their new album and playing damn all of their incredible back catalouge. By all means play new material, but don't take the piss: people have not turned up to not hear your best songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

First : blur(first time they played Song 2) supported by black grape and supergrass
    Best : Daft punk Marley park. I feel asunder at the oxygen gig
    Worst: Dylan Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Supcycle

Declan Nerney - Drumlish

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

First: AC/DC in the Point, 91

Best: Lots. Pavement @ Rock Garden, early 94??? Beastie Boys @ RDS, 95? Nick Cave @ Liss Ard, 98? Primal Scream (Kevin Shields version) @ Hammersmith Palais, 01? Super Furry Animals @ Middle East Boston, 99. Robbie Williams @ Paradise Club Boston, 99. David Byrne & St. Vincent @ EP, 14? Honourable mentions for Leftfield @ Forbidden Fruit 11? Chem Bros @ EP 12? Greg Wilson @ Twisted Pepper 12? For those last few the memories are special but wasn’t just about the music!

Worst: Spiritualized @ Feile, 91. Memories are hazy but was drone-tastic and cleared Semple Stadium (did I mention the memories are hazy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Supcycle wrote: »
    Declan Nerney - Drumlish

And your first and worst? :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

First: Red Hot Chill Peppers - Point Depot - 1995 (supported by The Flaming Lips & Moby)

Best: Very hard to say, toss up between LeftField - Tivoli (they played live so it counts) around 2009ish? or Radiohead - Marley Park (20??) - The Verve in Slane was quite good too.

Worst: Red Hot Chill Peppers - Landsdowne Road - 200? - they played for about 70 minutes, and it just never really got going, phoned in if ever a gig was phoned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

First: Tiesto The o2 Dublin

Best: Coldplay At Croker 2017,Feels like yesterday but i was singing the entire time and christ what a gig!!

Worst: Stereophonics, Yea they showed up at the 3arena and played and where dry about it...Nothing special! Won 4 tickets from a radio competition and had 2 left over....couldn't even give the other 2 away for free.....Should have seen the signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

First: Meatloaf at some point during the infamous 3 week tour of Ireland in '89. Went with my sister and can barely remember it, I was so young. I don't even know where it was on.

Best: The Rolling Stones last year in Croke Park. Just an incredible experience from start to finish. An amazing setlist and the band were on top form. One of those 'OMG I can't believe I'm actually here right now' kind of gigs.

Worst: Arcade Fire at the 02 Arena also last year. Not that they weren't amazing as apparently it was an incredible show, however I was nursing a stomach infection after a brief hospitilization 2 days earlier and I was just fúcking miserable the whole time. Hunched over in pain against a railing for a lot of it trying desperately to force myself to enjoy the experience. I was actually on the fence as whether to go or not that morning but I went & drove up from Cork to Dublin that afternoon anyway. Bad idea.

Really need to see them again in good health as I adore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

First: Killswitch Engage the ambassador in 2006. Great gig at the height of their powers

Best: Rammstein 3arena 2012. So so so good, the hype around their gigs is lived up to for sure. Seeing them again in Rotterdam next month.

Worst: 30 Seconds to Mars Oxegen 2010. Lovely summers day, just heard some great bands and was well into the music for the day. They come on and stop every song midway through in some sh*t attempt to hype the crowd. Terrible gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

First: Oasis @Witness Festival

Best: Muse @ Marlay Park or Arcade Fire @ 3arena last year

Worst:

Haven't been to a lot of bad gigs but as Sound issues bug the hell out of me it's a joint win between Radiohead and Queens of the stone age both @ 3arena recently. Great bands, bad sound on the night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

First - Oasis, Landsdown Road 2000. Played off the stage by Supergrass

Best - Tough one. Prince - Marlay Park. Jaysus he was good. He's sound check was better than many gigs. Radiohead in Berlin 2016 maybe. Portishead at Glastonbury 2013 (I'd have that whole Glastonbury down as one of the best weeks I've ever had)

Worst - Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Landsdown Road, 2002. Touring a very mediocre album, terrible sound, New Order were in a surly mood. Another support band called Red Lemon were dire. The Walls were possible the best thing that day so that sums it up.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    First - Oasis, Landsdown Road 2000. Played off the stage by Supergrass

Best - Tough one. Prince - Marlay Park. Jaysus he was good. He's sound check was better than many gigs. Radiohead in Berlin 2016 maybe. Portishead at Glastonbury 2013 (I'd have that whole Glastonbury down as one of the best weeks I've ever had)

Worst - Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Landsdown Road, 2002. Touring a very mediocre album, terrible sound, New Order were in a surly mood. Another support band called Red Lemon were dire. The Walls were possible the best thing that day so that sums it up.

I was at both of those, the Oasis one was shockingly bad, I remember as they were playing the last song some guy climbed up one of the lighting or speaker rigs and everyone was cheering him on rather paying attention to Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭corm500

From what I can see so far there seems to be a lot of Love in this thread for the Stones gig in Croke Park last year. It was a great gig in fairness.

Conversely Red Hot Chili Peppers gig at Lansdowne Road is being rightly slated. I never met anyone who enjoyed that gig. It is still mentioned amongst friends as the nadir of concert going in this country.

corm500 wrote: »
    From what I can see so far there seems to be a lot of Love in this thread for the Stones gig in Croke Park last year. It was a great gig in fairness.

Conversely Red Hot Chili Peppers gig at Lansdowne Road is being rightly slated. I never met anyone who enjoyed that gig. It is still mentioned amongst friends as the nadir of concert going in this country.

Was it the venue or the bands or both ? I was only at two gigs there and both were rubbish.

The Chillis rarely sound good in huge venues, I've seen them 6 times and best times I've seen them was in the Point twice.

I've seen Oasis 4 times and the Lansdowne gig was the worst by a mile but that was the tour Noel only played the gigs in Ireland and the UK so they weren't exactly in great form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

First - Aerosmith @ Point, Aug 1990.
    Best - AC/DC @ Point, Apr 2009
    Worst - Britney Spears @ RDS 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

First: Queen, Elland Road 1982

Best: A few comes to mind
    Charlatans-Manchester 98-99ish, last night of tour...brilliant
    Queen: Knebworth 1986
    U2:Roundhay Park Leeds 1997
    The Saw Doctors: St Enda's Salthill Galway 2008
    Bruce:RDS many times

Worst: Oasis Lansdowne Road 2000, just awful..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

First: Pixies in the Point, 1990.

Best: Can't settle on one, probably for sheer blown-away factor, King Crimson in London last November. Other mentions:
    - Sun Kil Moon in 2008
    - Evan Dando solo in 2001
    - Fr John Misty in London in 2017
    - Ian Brown in Whelans, 2002
    - U2 Slane 2001, the vibe was incredible / Popmart 1997 for the sheer spectacle
    - Sigur Ros - 2013 - amazing, amazing, amazing
    - Liam Gallagher - Olympia, 2017 - it was just when he had released Wall of Glass and was playing new songs, it was a great gig and really good vibe.
    - Ride, Tivoli in 1994 - I chose them over seeing Oasis in the same venue. In retrospect I should've seen Oasis but back then I was a bigger Ride fan and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Worst: I have several, but the very worst gig I was at was Juliette Lewis. We left well before the halfway mark. Others:
    - Smashing Pumpkins in the RDS in 2008 - I love SP but the sound was awful
    - Lemonheads, 2012 - Evan Dando was ill apparently but it was the most phoned-in appearance I've ever seen, and I've seen him play a load of times
    - Paul McCartney in 2003 - not for Macca, but the crowd were terrible. Just a load of aul wans and fellas who talked through the songs they didn't know, rudely pushed their way through the crowd, and barely applauded even the well known songs.
    - Liam Gallagher, 2018 - I was enjoying the day and the crowd weren't too bad but the sound was just terrible.
    - Nirvana, RDS in 1994 - you know why :) (I had, and still have, a ticket for it)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

First Slade, Manchester 1979

Best Queen (plus a few decent support acts) 13 July 1985 at Wembley Stadium (were on a lot longer and still at their best at Knebworth the following year)

Worst Elton John Manchester Arena mid to late 1990s - he stropped off stage after less than an hour not to return. He was having a tantrum as a result of negative press commentary over his private life

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

First:

Worst: Red Hot Chill Peppers - Landsdowne Road - 200? - they played for about 70 minutes, and it just never really got going, phoned in if ever a gig was phoned in.

yes! I was going to post this, what an absolute **** show - and it was a nice sunny day too.

I remember Bernard Summer of New Order growling to the crowd "tell you parents you saw us!"

RHCP were ****e the year they played Slane too..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Best: Very hard to say.... Radiohead - Marley Park (20??)

2006! :p
    The Nal wrote: »
    Worst: Radiohead 2006 Marley Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭PGE1970

First: U2 in Croke Park 1985 - 14 years old and got my ticket as a present for my Inter Cert.

Best: Toss up between The Pogues (Stephens Night 1989) or That Petrol Emotion farewell gig in the Tivoli around 1995.

Worst: Van Morrison in the Point (1989/1990ish - grumpy sod) or Chris de Burgh in Lark by the Lee in Cork 1985(?)*

*It was a free gig and a family "day out" with my parents and siblings. I was into The Smiths, Llloyd Cole, Jesus & Mary Chain etc and dressed accordingly. I fcuking detested De Burgh and his music. I don't dress that way now but still detest De Burgh and his music 35 years later!!

Advertisement