Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

First: AC/DC at the Glasgow Apollo 1982 (wish it had been 2 or 3 years earlier with Bonn Scott.)

Best: Iggy Pop & the Stooges at the Electric Picnic Sunday evening 2007

Worst: A toss between Primal Scream who followed the Stooges at EP in 2007, mind you its very hard to top the Stooges OR the Goomby Dance band who were oddly supporting Nick Caves first group, The Birthday Party in 1983 at Nightmoves in Glasgow, The Birthday Party would have been another of my highlights too. But The Goomby Dance Band WTF! were they thinking, a German melodic Eurovision type folk band playing to a hardcore audience of goths, punks, skinheads, two tone rude boys and general anarchic types, they even played their brutal hit Seven Years LOL!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

scudzilla wrote: »
    First - Donington Monsters of Rock 1985 with ZZ TOP, Marillion, Bon Jovi, Metallica (wit Cliff :D:D), Ratt, Magnum.

Best - Top 3 really

Metallica at 100 Club in London 1987, Warm up for Donington, just awesome seeing them in a tiny tiny venue

Rammstein at Birmingham NEC about 6/7 years ago, right at the front, what an wesome show

Metallica - Donington 2006. They were just on fire, played Puppets in it's entirity, awesome show.

Worst - Been to hundreds of gigs and there's been quite a few that stand out as the worst. For me it's gotta be Pantera when they headlined The Dynamo Festival in Holland, think it was 99 or 2000, they were just awful, Phil was so fcukin hammered he was forgettin words, falling over etc.

id have loved to see one of those donnington gigs years ago are they still running them??? mind you half the bands that used to play at them are probably dead and most of the newbies wouldnt appeal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

id have loved to see one of those donnington gigs years ago are they still running them??? mind you half the bands that used to play at them are probably dead and most of the newbies wouldnt appeal to me

They turned it into the Download festival. I went every year from 85 until 3yrs ago.

Much preferred the old style Monsters of Rock, when ya had to be a true Monster of rock to get on the bill, now there's way too many bands, too many clashes & 10 min walks between stages.
    In the good old days it was just find a place to sit, get pissed and watch the bands, didn't have to move all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

First- The Stunning in the Warwick 2000 (maybe 2001). Great craic.

Best- Pearl Jam 2006 The Point

Also U2 2005 Croke Park night 3 and Primal Scream at The Big Top/Galway Art's Festival 2009 were brilliant. Simple Minds 2006 also at The Arts Festival.

Worst- U2 Night 3 Croke Park in 2009. Muse The Point in 2006. And RHCP in Phoenix Park 2004 (Blown away by The Pixies and Groove Armada).

Nobody does it like pearl jam..no need for big lights, tv screens, gimmicks..just going for it and giving it everything and in fairness to them, the inspire the best crowd reaction and energy I've ever seen and I've seen thousands of gigs..they're amazing live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hmm, too many bad ones to mention
    Best, Rush at the MEN in Manchester is always special, fantastic arena, excellent sound, Rush Toronto was special for obvious reasons.
    Led Zeppelin at London's O2 was probably the best though, mesmerising and very nostalgic.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

They turned it into the Download festival. I went every year from 85 until 3yrs ago.

Much preferred the old style Monsters of Rock, when ya had to be a true Monster of rock to get on the bill, now there's way too many bands, too many clashes & 10 min walks between stages.
    In the good old days it was just find a place to sit, get pissed and watch the bands, didn't have to move all day.

ye i remember in the younger days i used to get kerrang magazine and they'd be advertising the line ups etc. some great bills there over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Great topic...

1st--- Trip to Tipp as a young lad. What memories from the first night. Last two bands on stage..The Farm then Happy Mondays. Class

Best gig ever--- Roger Waters touring Dark side of the moon. He had assistance with his voice(because he hasnt got one) but what a show. Roll on next month. Special mention to seeing Lou Reed in the point in 95/96 i think. The man was cool, just played heavy and hard. Loved it!

Worst--- U2 in Croke park 2009? Big let down after the high of Slane 2001. Boring ****e and they didnt play the big numbers in mine!
    Also RHCP in Lansdowne was poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭leakyboots

First: Slane 2001 (the first one) - Kelis was alright, Coldplay were good if a little overwhelmed (their biggest audience up to that time), was in the pit for the Chillis and U2... got the shift during 'One', nice one.

Best: Seen Leonard Cohen plenty of times so he'd be up there... a quasi-spiritual experience... so either seeing him in France last year or Paul McCartney at the RDS last year which was pretty special

Worst: Hands down - Interpol in Belgium a few years ago. Only time I've ever fallen asleep at a gig (4 of the 6 of us who went fell asleep actually!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

First was Metallica in RDS in '04.

Best was Metallica in Odyssey last year or ASIWYFA in Mandela Hall.

So many poor ones to pick from, but the two that stand out are Counting Crows in the Odyssey and Dirty Pretty Things. Both were painful experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First - Donington Monsters of Rock 1985 with ZZ TOP, Marillion, Bon Jovi, Metallica (wit Cliff :D:D), Ratt, Magnum.

Best - Top 3 really

Metallica at 100 Club in London 1987, Warm up for Donington, just awesome seeing them in a tiny tiny venue

Rammstein at Birmingham NEC about 6/7 years ago, right at the front, what an wesome show

Metallica - Donington 2006. They were just on fire, played Puppets in it's entirity, awesome show.

Worst - Been to hundreds of gigs and there's been quite a few that stand out as the worst. For me it's gotta be Pantera when they headlined The Dynamo Festival in Holland, think it was 99 or 2000, they were just awful, Phil was so fcukin hammered he was forgettin words, falling over etc.

Ah ****e, i forgot, Donington 85 wasn't me First gig, it was actually Adam & the Ants at Deeside Ice Rink, North Wales in 1981 (I was 10 and a freind of me dad took me cos i loved them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Adam & the Ants in 81?

Jammy git.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

First: Not 100% sure but I think it was the Wonderstuff in the SFX in 1989/90

Best: A few contenders. Depeche Mode and the Sisters of Mercy in London in 1993 (indeed Depeche Mode have been consistently excellent every time I've seen them). Laibach in the TBMC about 10 years ago. Rammstein in Minsk in 2010 (roll on next Monday)

Worst: Def Leppard in the Point last summer, made worse by a very entertaining support from Alice Cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Not going to be popular choices but here goes:

First: Sawdoctors at the Point in 1991

Best: Kylie Minogue at the Point 2005

Worst: U2 at Wembley 1993 (I was only there to babysit my two brothers who came over on holidays when I lived in London)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Worst : Paramore In The o2:mad:
    first: P!nk The o2:(
    Best : Green Day Marlay Park > I Was On Stage:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

First: Green Day The Point in 2001

Best: Metallica playing Master of Puppets from start to finish at Download 2006 :)

Worst: Red Hot Chilli Peppers played Oxegen a few years ago and it was the most dull, slow, boring, meh gig I've ever been to in my life. :( I'm also gonna ad Bell X1 in the RDS to that. :(

Bad gigs make me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

First: Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails and Silversun Pickups in Marley Park in 2007

Best: Either Foo Fighters or And So I Watch You From Afar

Worst: I actually can't pick a worst one since all the concerts I've gone to have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

First one I remember: The complete stone roses midnight at the Olympia in 200/01 ? Not sure exactly when it was but I was about 16 and was first gig with the lads and it was a great night.

Best: Arctic monkey playing the ambassador theatre in Dublin in 05 or 06, they played support to we are scientists as part of an nme promotional tour, think they only played about 6 or 8 songs (this was before their first album came out ) but couldn't believe the music from these bunch of kids. Also the moment in life when I realised my chance at being a rock god was probably past me at the age of 22.

Worst. Norah Jones ( birthday present for the misses ) in the point just before they re-did the place. All seater gig. Sound was shocking, we were as far from the stage as possible and I'd lost my glasses so couldn't even see the screens. People beside us offered us tea that they'd brought with them in a flask ! No need to search bags at that gig !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    First: Not 100% sure but I think it was the Wonderstuff in the SFX in 1989/90

Best: A few contenders. Depeche Mode and the Sisters of Mercy in London in 1993 (indeed Depeche Mode have been consistently excellent every time I've seen them). Laibach in the TBMC about 10 years ago. Rammstein in Minsk in 2010 (roll on next Monday)

Worst: Def Leppard in the Point last summer, made worse by a very entertaining support from Alice Cooper.

Was at that dm concert too-however the Paris gigs on the same tour where far better in terms of atmosphere etc. Dm at their very peak live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

BEST:
    Nirvana, San Diego, 1993

WORST:
    Childline gig at The Point (I was babysitting) Westlife etc

FIRST:
    Hothouse Flowers, Top Hat, 1985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

First: Bon Jovi, Point, 1993

Best: either Bon Jovi above or Robbie Williams, Sydney, 2001

Worst: either Madonna, Slane, 2004 or Elton John, RDS, 2006/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

First: Tracy Chapman (1992 I think)

Best: (tough one), I'd say Duran Duran, the first time I saw them in 2005.

Worst: Any Sisters of Mercy gig. (I have seen them twice)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LisaC251

First: honestly the Corrs (as I was banned from going to the Smashing Pumpkins), swiftly followed by Slane
    Best: Rage Against the Machine in the point, James Brown at Oxygen, Mumford & Sons in the academy
    Worst: Surfer Blood feature high on this list!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

First: U2 zoo tv tour august 28 1993

Best: (all relative) grant lee buffalo, vicar st for intimate. U2 popmart feyenoord 1997 was great because of the time. Elbow in O2 2011 was just magical. James in slane 1998.

Worst: RHCP phoenix park (supplement by the pixies being brilliant)
    close second, Kings of leon, O2 recently... yawn !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

First - Buddy Guy, National Stadium 1992
    Best - David Bowie, Point Depot 2003/Neil Young, Glastonbury 2009/Prodigy, Point Depot NYE 1995.
    Worst - Radiohead, Marley Park, 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

First: The Police, Leixlip Castle 1980. Maaad experience!!

Best: Loads... Top of the list has to be Bruce Springsteen in Slane 1985. More recently, Rammstein in The O2, Pink in The RDS and The O2, and Paul Simon in The Marquee, Cork.

Worst: (Or most disappointing...) Stereophonics in Slane going through the motions and Neil Young in The Marquee being totally self-indulgent. Saw Neil Young in The O2 later though and it was excellent :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

First: my first concert was Westlife in the point. I was in 5th/6th class so it would have been around 2000 or 2001. The first rock concert I went to was Slipknot in the RDS in 2005.

Worst: Paramore in the RDS in 2008. They were just awful. I loved their first album and the second one was kind of catchy, and a bunch of my mates were going so I said why not....everything from the sound to stage prescence was awful.

Best: Is it awful that there's no concert I've been to that striked me as amazing/breathtaking? Especially as I am a concert photographer! I really enjoyed the few times I've seen Metallica (RDS, marley park) but I think that was mostly because of the atmosphere. I also liked Frightened Rabbit when they supported Death Cab For Cutie in the Ambassador, as that's when I discovered them. Overall though, no concert has made a huge impact on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

First: AC/DC RDS Simmonscourt 1982

Best: Lots, the one above was cracking, Lynyrd Skynyrd in 2003 (I think) at the Point, Twisted Sister in Dalymount Park, Rammstein a couple of weeks ago.....

Worst: The only gig I was genuinely bored at was Tool at the Point in 2006. Other gigs haven't been great because of organisation, weather, etc., but that was the only gig I didn't enjoy because of the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

First: Tiesto in the point. Utter cheese, but I was only a kid and had an absolute blast.

Best: Don't think I could objectively pick one. Joy Orbison in the Twisted Pepper May of last year was up there; preposterously good fun.

Worst: The worst bands I've seen were at festivals but I just upped and left at those. I think I'd have to pick Kasabian/Prodigy/Oasis at Slane in 2009. Hour-long crush through the forest on the way in, nastiest collection of scumbags and idiots I've ever seen at a gig, and a nice five-mile walk back to the bus to round off a thoroughly underwhelming day.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

First: The Rockathon held in the Tullamore Harriers circa 92/93. An Irish band called Blink were headlining ably supported by some local bands or Raw November in the High Street House in Tullamore. Both class nights just can't remember which came first. What I do remember is my mother dragging me out of the middle of the mosh pit at raw november cause I was out past 9 30.

Best: scissors sisters in the village 03. Not their biggest fan but this was brilliant. Gary Numan in tripod was brilliant a couple of years back. MGMT in the academy. Weezer in vicar street. Too hard to pick.

Worst: the xx in tripod. It was the Saturday before Christmas and all at the gig were absolutely plastered including myself. If they had walked off stage and just stuck their cd on I don't think anybody would have noticed. Glasvegas in the academy. Just complete rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

foxinsox wrote: »
    BEST:
    Nirvana, San Diego, 1993

You're very lucky!

Advertisement