Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Best - Rammstein in the 3.O2 phenomenal in terms of festivals Parkway Drive at Wacken just gone was top drawer, incredible!

Worst - Gonna say Alkaline Trio in the Academy atrocious Skiba was off his bean and played a ton off the crap album they were touring at the time felt sorry for the rest of the band members who looked awkward.

First - Metallica supported by Slipknot at the RDS 2004

Last - Foo Fighters RDS

Next - Alice Cooper supported by Black Stone Cherry

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

First : Kanye West The Point 2004 before he became Billy Big time.

Best: Underworld at EP 2011, Absolutely incredible.

Last: Sunday at Body & Soul this year, lasted about an hour with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

First: Blur
    Best: u2 pop mart tour lansdown road
    Last: Damien Dempsey
    Next: Christy Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

First: Saxon at the SFX in 1983.

Best: (1) Green on Red at Midnight at the Olympia in 1992, I never thought I’d see them play Ireland and it was a great gig for the 100 or so fans, the rest of the attendees were only there for the late bar. (2) The Jesus Lizard at the Mean Fiddler in 1998, I spent part of the gig with David Yow on my shoulders, he had his pants on.

Worst: (1) David Gray at the Point in 1999 White Ladder was overplayed everywhere at that stage and I’d had enough of it, spent the night in the bar. (2) Neil Young at the O2 in 2009, I saw him at the RDS in 1988 and he was brilliant, by 2009 every song had a 20 minute 1 note guitar solo and ended with a 5 minute last note.

Bucketlist: I’m crossing Sleep off my list in Manchester in October, and hope to see Half Man Half Biscuit and Colour Haze at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

First: Cranberries and Counting Crows in Killarney a few years back

Best: Bruce Springsteen in Limerick

Worst: Lifehouse because I was sick as a dog and wanted it to just be over. From an actual enjoyment point of view, Lady Gaga at the height of her little monsters phase. Just didn’t like her and got dragged to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

First: Chili Peppers 2007

Best: Very difficult. Maybe Tash Sultana in Amsterdam this year was something out of this world

Worst: Kings of Leon 2009 oxegen. They had a fight the night before. They were shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

skinny90 wrote: »

Worst: Kings of Leon 2009 oxegen. They had a fight the night before. They were shocking

You should have gone to NIN who were on at the same time on the second stage. Probably the best gig I was ever at in Ireland

First: U2, Oakland 1997

Best: Trail Of Dead, Reading 2002 or British Sea Power, York 2017

Worst: ....Not sure. Possibly a very pissed The Breeders, also at Reading 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BuffaloTengo

First: Simple Minds in RDS in 89

Best: a few to pick out: The Wedding Present supported by Buffalo Tom in the SFX in 1991, two of my favourite bands on the same stage.
    Neil Young acoustic at Vicar Street on the Greendale tour
    Ryan Adams in The Shelter on his Heartbreaker tour
    Wilco in Whelans in 1997
    Beachwood Sparks in Mono supported by Neal Casal (RIP)

Worst: I would say My Bloody Valentine in SFX as it was the loudest gig I have ever been to, almost could not make out which song was which, it was just a wall of noise. Still though, was an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

So many to choose from, but here goes:

First:
    • The Long Ryders- Mandela Hall, Queens SU, Belfast 1985. Great high-energy punk-country-rock.
    Best:
    • Fugazi- Mayfair, Glasgow 1989 (Intense!)
    • REM- The Playhouse, Edinburgh 1989 (seemed like such a "moment-in-time", met the band beforehand also!)
    • Dinosaur Jr- The Barrowlands, Glasgow 1991 (one of my all-time fav bands, fantastic gig in a great venue)
    Worst:
    • Kings of Leon- Simmonscourt, RDS, Dublin 2007
    • Smashing Pumpkins- Kings Hall, Belfast 2008 (Probably didn't help that I had to stand at the back for both of these as my missus was pregnant, but both awful venues, sound wasn't great & both bands past their best)

Next:
    • Deerhunter- Whelans, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

First; U2 in Croker, back '87 I think. They were touring Joshua Tree and they were superb. Great support line-up too.

Worst; Bob Dylan in Pearse stadium c. 15 years ago. Not his hugest fan, but he played mostly songs I didn't know and made no effort whatsoever to interact with the crowd. Wouldn't go to see him now if he was playing for free across the road. Dishonourable mention to Arcade Fire in Malahide couple of years ago. Good musicians but scarcely played for little more than an hour and buggered off to play a private session somewhere in the city.

Best; have to go with Leonard Cohen on one of his Lissadell concerts c. 9 years (?) ago. Played for nearly 3 hours, totally conversed with and respected his audience, played most of his best known songs, musicianship and backing vocalists superb (Webb sisters - It If Be Your Will a highlight). A WB Yeats devotee, Cohen was clearly inspired by his surroundings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Best: a few to pick out: The Wedding Present supported by Buffalo Tom in the SFX in 1991, two of my favourite bands on the same stage.

That was a class gig. Crazy moshing for Buffalo Tom especially Birdbrain. Weddoes were great; Seamonster came out a few days later. Dalliance was epic.
    Worst: I would say My Bloody Valentine in SFX as it was the loudest gig I have ever been to, almost could not make out which song was which, it was just a wall of noise. Still though, was an experience.

Did you avail of the ear plugs on the way in? They made some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

MfMan wrote: »
    Worst; Bob Dylan in Pearse stadium c. 15 years ago. Not his hugest fan, but he played mostly songs I didn't know and made no effort whatsoever to interact with the crowd.

Hope you were at least there earlier to catch Gary Moore, was worth going for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

First - Pulp, The Point Theatre summer ‘97. One if not the only time I was at a gig in the old Point where the sound was very good. The Atmosphere was electric, Pulp were on the crest of a wave just finishing off touring Different Class. They were so tight, even throwing in a couple of b-sides they rarely ever played before or since.

Worst - Oasis, Landsdowne 2000. Absolute shît, they were that bad, visibly hungover and disinterested that refunds should have been compulsory. Saw them three years later in Paris touring Heathen Chemistry a pretty average to good album and they were excellent.

Best - Wilco, Vicar St ‘09 by a country mile the best live show, perfect sound, a really tight, enthusiastic and up for it band enjoying and loving every minute of being on that stage for over two hours. Never been anything less then spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Strumms wrote: »
    Best - Wilco, Vicar St ‘09 by a country mile the best live show, perfect sound, a really tight, enthusiastic and up for it band enjoying and loving every minute of being on that stage for over two hours.

I've still got the setlists from both of those shows.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

I've still got the setlists from both of those shows.

I have one too buried somewhere ... a band I really need to see again, been a while... really. Iveagh Gardens was very good too but for me that Venue, that band, quite a combo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Strumms wrote: »

Best - Wilco, Vicar St ‘09 by a country mile the best live show, perfect sound, a really tight, enthusiastic and up for it band enjoying and loving every minute of being on that stage for over two hours. Never been anything less then spectacular.

I was out of the country for this having finally seen them in 07 and having been very impressed.

His "Tweedy" gig in the London Palladium in 2014 was brilliant. If Jeff's involved, I'm on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Olympia show in 1999 when Jeff threw his guitar into the audience at the end of the set was awesome.

(A roadie retrieved it for the encore).

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I was out of the country for this having finally seen them in 07 and having been very impressed.

His "Tweedy" gig in the London Palladium in 2014 was brilliant. If Jeff's involved, I'm on board.

I was at that Palladium show too and loved it. Managed to make good what was rather a stodgy venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Both of those Wilco 09 shows were incredible.

Night 2 in particular

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2009/vicar-street-dublin-ireland-6bd18a1a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That was a class gig. Crazy moshing for Buffalo Tom especially Birdbrain. Weddoes were great; Seamonster came out a few days later. Dalliance was epic.

Did you avail of the ear plugs on the way in? They made some difference.

saw them a few years back in Manchester and ended up taking the plugs out, the holocaust section was mental, it was like standing in front of a 747 engine, my clothes were shaking like I was in a big wind!!! but as Kevin says himself that's all well and good for the few people that enjoy it!! the rest are gone home!!

• Advertisement

Stillill42 wrote: »
    First: Chris de Burgh, RDS, 1983? No judgement. This is a safe place.

Best: Very difficult. Maybe Sigur Ros, Olympia, around 2005ish? Or David Byrne and Annie Clark at EP?

Worst: Poor old Cat Power in Whelan's 2003. What a car crash that was.

I grew up with a lot of pre-lady in red de burg in my house and loved his stuff as a kid and would imagine he was awesome in 83??? as I then went on to a passions for all things metal I look back and think deburgs themes were not that different!!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

First : Inspiral Carpets in McGonagles in 1990. We broke the floor supposedly. Had just started playing guitar and spent a lot of time beside the roadie watching him. Tyrns out it was Noel Gallagher.

Best : Prince in Malahide Castle. Right up the front, amazing in every way.

Worst : Divine Comedy in about 1998 near Whelans. Brutal sound brutal setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

First: Iron Maiden/Marilyn Manson 2003 RDS
    Best: Rammstein 3 arena 2013. Unbelievable experience.
    Worst: No outright terrible ones but I've been to some Academy gigs where they haven't got the sound right at all.
    Next: Slipknot and Rammstein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

saw them a few years back in Manchester and ended up taking the plugs out, the holocaust section was mental, it was like standing in front of a 747 engine, my clothes were shaking like I was in a big wind!!! but as Kevin says himself that's all well and good for the few people that enjoy it!! the rest are gone home!!

Manchester Apollo, June 2008 - absolutely classic gig. Saw The Fall in the Academy the night before (one of many), what a weekend.

The Nal wrote: »
    Both of those Wilco 09 shows were incredible.

Night 2 in particular

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2009/vicar-street-dublin-ireland-6bd18a1a.html

That’s an absolutely incredible setlist both the length of it and the songs...must be about a two and a half hour show they played looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Best: Rush 2011 or Coil in 2004
    First: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant 1995
    Worst: THAT Gun n'Roses gig in 2010 - still raging!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

First: Kasabian & Faithless in Marley Park 2006. Was too young to be 'allowed' in but felt like the cheese when I did without hassle and even got served 2 pints of Bud :o

Best: Probably Foals in London 2017 or Olympia 2014 (supported by cage the elephant too). Honorable mention for being in the front row for the Verve in Oxegen, Bittersweet Sympony was pretty incredible to see live. Eagles of Death Metal in the Olympia 2015 was great, even sitting up in the gods.

Worst: Queens of the Stone Age 2017 was piss poor, crowd, sound, performance were all miserable (pretty sure it was only a couple of gigs later he kicked the photographer). Arctic Monkeys in the 3arena last year were poor too, sound again but the most recent album wasn't for me and just got in the way of everything I wanted to hear.

hots wrote: »
    First: Kasabian & Faithless in Marley Park 2006. Was too young to be 'allowed' in but felt like the cheese when I did without hassle and even got served 2 pints of Bud :o

Best: Probably Foals in London 2017 or Olympia 2014 (supported by cage the elephant too). Honorable mention for being in the front row for the Verve in Oxegen, Bittersweet Sympony was pretty incredible to see live. Eagles of Death Metal in the Olympia 2015 was great, even sitting up in the gods.

Worst: Queens of the Stone Age 2017 was piss poor, crowd, sound, performance were all miserable (pretty sure it was only a couple of gigs later he kicked the photographer). Arctic Monkeys in the 3arena last year were poor too, sound again but the most recent album wasn't for me and just got in the way of everything I wanted to hear.
    can you remember what the support acts sounded like for QOTSA and Artic monkees?

I think the lower volume in the 3 arena us perfect, but when they crank it for the headliners there's an issue.

i asked an engineer and he said it's only standing gigs, and it's due to the space under the balcony out to the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

can you remember what the support acts sounded like for QOTSA and Artic monkees?

I think the lower volume in the 3 arena us perfect, but when they crank it for the headliners there's an issue.

hmm I don't really.... I was there on Saturday for Gerry Cinammon and it was the opposite weirdly, sound for the opening guy was brutal for vocals, then the coral just sounded as though the volume was just far too high all across the board, and then Gerry sounded excellent.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    hmm I don't really.... I was there on Saturday for Gerry Cinammon and it was the opposite weirdly, sound for the opening guy was brutal for vocals, then the coral just sounded as though the volume was just far too high all across the board, and then Gerry sounded excellent.

was it standing or sitting gig?

Advertisement