Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Going to a Neil Young tribute tomorrow night

It was bloody class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It was bloody class

Harvest Moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Add to my worst ever list, The Murder Capital. Good Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Nal wrote: »
    Add to my worst ever list, The Murder Capital. Good Jesus.

Really? Intrigued by this, saw them a couple of times and they were excellent on each occasion.

Why did they suck so badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

First was Mumford and Suns in Salthill and was brilliant.

Worst was Snow Patrol in the 3Arena, didn't like the venue much plus had to leave early to get someone home who'd had to much to drink, no fault to the band they were great.

Best was Post Malone in the RDS last week, brilliant vibe and great performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

First sawdoctors in the school hall. North galway.
    Best the who oxegen 06
    Worst plenty of lazy DJs , find bands generally put the effort in.

Actually Fatboy slim was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭corm500

First sawdoctors in the school hall. North galway.
    Best the who oxegen 06
    Worst plenty of lazy DJs , find bands generally put the effort in.

Actually Fatboy slim was awful.

Good call....the Who were brilliant at Oxegen. I even bought the DVD of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Arghus wrote: »
    Really? Intrigued by this, saw them a couple of times and they were excellent on each occasion.

Why did they suck so badly?

Just not my thing. Dreary and monotonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Harvest Moon?

Harvest

Harvest

...is what I meant. Yeah, they're great. Regulars at Trailer Park at EP on the Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

First- The Corrs - Lansdowne rd 1999

Last - The Streets at EP Sunday night

Best - Kate Bush in London 2014 or Rage Against The Machine - Coachella 2007

Worst - the bad ones dont really stick in my mind but recently... Bon Jovi this summer in the RDS - his voice is shot unfortunately

Next - Aurora in the Olympia in November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Best was my first one. Lollapalooza in Philly/NJ 1994. Main Stage: The Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, George Clinton & the P-Funk All Stars, The Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, L7

Side Stage: The Flaming Lips, The Verve, Guided by Voices, Souls of Mischief, Pharcyde

Loads of other bands too but don't remember them all.

Courtney Love came out in the middle of Pumpkins set drunk and talked about Kurt who had just died and Nirvana was meant to headline. Lot of people crying.

besides that the highlight was a girl in our group lost a shoe in the pit at the side stage and it was getting tossed from one side of the massive crowd to the other. we had one hard skinhead (anti racist) friend who managed to hunt it down and get it back for her which had truly seemed like mission impossible.

I was only 14, had been at a house party all night the night before. still don't understand or remember how I got the money for a ticket or how I convinced my mother to let me go as I hadn't even been home all night but whatever. That experience will never be beat. Having older friends that were a bad influence was awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

First - Michael Jackson - Dangerous World Tour 1992

Best - Jamiroquai - Dusseldorf 2005

Worst - Coldplay - I was a Coldplay fan and it was the 3rd time I saw them live which end up them singing more covers of other musicians then there own material

Strangest - Got 3 access all areas passes for Iron Maiden by the roadies in exchange for a cardboard cutout of a Kangaroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

First - Michael Jackson - Dangerous World Tour 1992

Best - Jamiroquai - Dusseldorf 2005

Worst - Coldplay - I was a Coldplay fan and it was the 3rd time I saw them live which end up them singing more covers of other musicians then there own material

Strangest - Got 3 access all areas passes for Iron Maiden by the roadies in exchange for a cardboard cutout of a Kangaroo

That Jamiroquai tour was unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First: Meat Loaf at Dalymount Park, the day before my Leaving Cert Irish exam. I got up at 7am to be in town at 8am on the day the tickets went on sale to make sure I was sorted. They didn't sell out. Tenpole Tudor were also on the bill. A friend backstage told me Meat need an oxygen tank between songs to keep going. Loved Tokyo Olympics too, maybe they'll have a revival next year?

Meat-Loaf.jpg

Last: Billy Bragg at Whelans, very intimate after seeing him at Vicar St a few times and most recently at St Patricks Cathedral

Best: Very, very hard to pick out one - but maybe the two Springsteen gigs in 2012 when I managed to swing pit passes for the two nights back to back. Fabulous showman who really, really seems to enjoy what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1982?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

1982?

Yes

I remember my neighbours going to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

First: Greenday at the Point Theatre in 2000

Best: Eddie Vedder in 3 arena. I could listen to that man all day!

Worst: Badly Drawn Boy in the Music Factory in Carlow when he tried to throw his piano stool at the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Best: Seeing Coldplay in Wembley in 2016 (gig in Croker too was brilliant). They get some flack but put on a great show.

Worst: Was roped into going to see Passenger in Vicar St last year by the missus as it was a part of a night out with some friends. Spent most of the gig in the bar, not my cup of tea.

First: Oasis in the Point, 5th December 1997 (will always remember the date) on the Be Here Now Tour. Disappointing that Liam didn't perform (bar coming out on stage at the end). Was 15 years old and couldn't believe that I was seeing them live, was (and still am) a massive fan.

First: Chris de Burgh, RDS, 1983? No judgement. This is a safe place.

Best: Very difficult. Maybe Sigur Ros, Olympia, around 2005ish? Or David Byrne and Annie Clark at EP?

Worst: Poor old Cat Power in Whelan's 2003. What a car crash that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    First: The Cult yonks ago in The Point which was the Sonic Temple album. Electric was the first album I ever bought and it still rocks.

Best: NIN...the energy in there playing, sound & tightness is at another level, and I’ve seen lots.

Worst: Soundgarden in the RDS I think? Pretty sure it was there last date of their European or World tour, I could be mistaken which would make it worse still. They were probably knackered but I couldn’t give a f*ck as they were lifeless as a droopy c*ck. Matt Cameron was excellent full and of energy as usual but the rest sucked ass juice. Shepherd gave the fingers several times to the crowd, a mannequin would have more moves than Kim Thayil and Cornell’s voice was shot.
    Soundgarden were always hit or miss live back in the day

First- Iron Maiden, RDS, 2005

Last - Killing Joke, The Academy, 2019

Best - Matt & Kim, Button Factory, 2016

Next - Foo Fighters, RDS, Today :)

that killing joke gig was amazing

colster wrote: »
    First: Slane 1993 (Neil Young, Pearl Jam).

Best: Smashing Pumpkins SFX 1995 or Blur Olympia Theatre 2003

Worst: Smashing Pumpkins The Point 1996 for obvious reasons though Kings of Leon/Pixies Landsdowne Road 2005 is close.

yeah the pixies went out of their way to be **** that night

Totally disagree with the last sentence, Paz is also excellent

paz is excellent but Kim is kim

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

1st-REM landsdowne road in the 90s-main memory is getting caught up in a crush-1 of our party fell down during it and had a right fright-crowd control was basic as fk back then

Best- war on drugs-any time I’ve seen them

Worst-festival gigs-too much ****ty sound and sound bleed and messy fkers who can’t handle their drugs/alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

First a Christy Moore gig in 1996 with a buddy who was into him. I was not pushed.

Last: Metallica @ Slane this year

Best: I had some mad nights at the Wolf Tones in the mid 90s. Oxygen 04 was good- even though ****e weather and David Bowie cancelled.

KISS 2017 were hilarious and raced thro their set.

Leonard Cohen in 2008 in Kilmainham. Even my g/f (now wife) cried and she knew nothing about him. The late Gerry Ryan was sitting in front of us- we were right near the front.

Worst: Can't really think any bad ones as such. A few could have been better but that was more my fault.

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow basically played more Deed Purple covers than Rainbow which was disappointing and he ****ed up the intro to Smoke on Water

Still pissed off about Prince cancelling in 2008. I had two tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

First: Not 100% sure what the first gig I went to is, I think it was Ash in '96 when they were playing 1977. Still love that album.

Worst: Very hard to chose a worst gig - can't remember many that I didn't enjoy. I remember going to see The XX with a friend who loved them during Primavera 2010. i'd not listened to their stuff beforehand and did not enjoy it one bit. Found them very boring. Love their stuff now, but couldn't wait for them to finish at the time.

Best: Shellac the frst time I saw them in the Temple Bar Music Centre - think it was '97 or '98. Excellent gig. I've seen them a few more times over the years, last time was at Roisin Dubhs in Galway 2017 - still brilliant.
    2nd best would have to be either Wilco in Brixton Academy in 2016, or And So I Watch You From Afar in 2011 - think it was in either Galway or Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    First: Chris de Burgh, RDS, 1983? No judgement.
    This is a safe place.

That may have been the same one me ma took me to.

i am disappoint, to think that i'd bought my first proper album that year too, ZZ Top's Eliminator (god bless mt usa)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First: Meat Loaf at Dalymount Park, the day before my Leaving Cert Irish exam. I got up at 7am to be in town at 8am on the day the tickets went on sale to make sure I was sorted. They didn't sell out. Tenpole Tudor were also on the bill. A friend backstage told me Meat need an oxygen tank between songs to keep going. Loved Tokyo Olympics too, maybe they'll have a revival next year?

Last: Billy Bragg at Whelans, very intimate after seeing him at Vicar St a few times and most recently at St Patricks Cathedral

Best: Very, very hard to pick out one - but maybe the two Springsteen gigs in 2012 when I managed to swing pit passes for the two nights back to back. Fabulous showman who really, really seems to enjoy what he does.

I forgot to do Worst:

Has to be Roger Waters in June 2002 in the Point. I got dragged along with a friend. Everyone else in the entire place knew every word of every song, and I wasn't really a fan of Floyd or his own stuff - just felt right out of place.

Anyway, they started putting down their gear a bit before ten, and I thought 'sure that's grand now, a couple of tracks for the encore and we'll be out about 10.15pm'. The bould Roger came to the mic and said 'Thanks very much. I hope you enjoyed the first half and we'll be back soon for the second half.'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Best - Sigur Ros (almost a spiritual experience) follows closely by Jonathan Wilson in Whelans

Worst - Neil Young and Crazy Horse in the RDS (awful show, kept playing really long crap guitar solos, left after 40 mins)

First - Wet,Wet,Wet (Went with my big sister, she was babysitting me and I had no choice)

Advertisement